The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #781  
Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,407
Victoria Arbiter has written an article on Honey Channel 9 Australia about Harry's potential conflicts if he actually decide to become an US citizen. She also mentioned on different immigration visas that Harry could potentially apply.

Victoria Arbiter: 'Why Prince Harry could soon face his most complicated oath of allegiance yet'
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/vic...2-9e8522ba7051
__________________

  #782  
Old 10-24-2020, 12:46 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Victoria Arbiter has written an article on Honey Channel 9 Australia about Harry's potential conflicts if he actually decide to become an US citizen. She also mentioned on different immigration visas that Harry could potentially apply.

Victoria Arbiter: 'Why Prince Harry could soon face his most complicated oath of allegiance yet'
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/vic...2-9e8522ba7051
Iím all for people who love the United States becoming citizens, but for Harry to do so means a further and more permanent rejection of his heritage. If he does choose to become a citizen, I do think he shouldnít have his titles.
__________________

  #783  
Old 10-24-2020, 01:13 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Iím all for people who love the United States becoming citizens, but for Harry to do so means a further and more permanent rejection of his heritage. If he does choose to become a citizen, I do think he shouldnít have his titles.

I may be wrong but I don't think a US citizen can have a title. I thought that's why when the Queen gives honors to an American they don't become Dame or Sir.
  #784  
Old 10-24-2020, 01:45 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,661
I found a good article that gives insight into UK citizens applying for and becoming a naturalized US citizens. There are points in it that would really trip Harry up. This part right here. "I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen". Would Harry actually denounce his loyalty to his grandmother/father/brother to be a US citizen? I don't think he will.

https://www.fosterglobal.com/blog/i-...l-citizenship/

Americans can and do hold titles. Its been reported that "So, an American citizen cannot be named a Prince, Duke, or any other noble title by our own government. However, the Constitution does not ban American citizens from receiving titles of nobility from other countries, and a child could actually be born into both."

https://www.irontontribune.com/2009/...%20into%20both.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #785  
Old 10-24-2020, 09:40 AM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I found a good article that gives insight into UK citizens applying for and becoming a naturalized US citizens. There are points in it that would really trip Harry up. This part right here. "I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen". Would Harry actually denounce his loyalty to his grandmother/father/brother to be a US citizen? I don't think he will.

https://www.fosterglobal.com/blog/i-...l-citizenship/

Americans can and do hold titles. Its been reported that "So, an American citizen cannot be named a Prince, Duke, or any other noble title by our own government. However, the Constitution does not ban American citizens from receiving titles of nobility from other countries, and a child could actually be born into both."

https://www.irontontribune.com/2009/...%20into%20both.
Iím not an expert on US citizenship at all, but what if he becomes a dual citizen- would he still need to renounce allegiance if heís still a UK citizen?
  #786  
Old 10-24-2020, 10:25 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Iím not an expert on US citizenship at all, but what if he becomes a dual citizen- would he still need to renounce allegiance if heís still a UK citizen?
From the first article I quoted. "ďA U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth. U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another.Ē

UK does not seem to mind when its citizens takes up the citizenship of another country, including American citizenship, which requires the taking of the oath of allegiance."

These facts on citizenship are aimed at the everyday person. I don't think there has been any case of a British royal applying to be naturalized as a US citizen before. On the US side, there'd probably be no real hassle. On the UK side, at this time, its anyone's guess how the Queen and Parliament would handle this as far as titles go and such.

Interesting to think about.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #787  
Old 10-24-2020, 10:32 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I’m not an expert on US citizenship at all, but what if he becomes a dual citizen- would he still need to renounce allegiance if he’s still a UK citizen?
From looking around it still seems you have to take the oath, even if you hold dual nationality/citizenship. I know someone born with dual citizenship who served in the Royal Navy which clearly involves an oath and "loyalty" to the Queen but they also didn't have to make that oath because they were born in Boston and raised in the UK.

Regardless of whether it's just legal words Harry says and he's not renouncing loyalty "in his heart" the media and any other detractors as well as politicians of all parties would still have a massive field day. And it just descend into more drama.

As for titles, this seems to give a good run down in the laws regarding titles in the US and it seems that on becoming a citizen you have to renounce any foreign titles.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/usa/usnob.htm

There's nothing to stop the Earl of Wharncliffe (who was born with US citizenship) using his titles socially or inheriting them but I assume they aren't on any official documents or recognised by the government.

If Harry ever became a citizen (and I have huge doubts about that) then he might have to. Even if they don't it's another tick in the farcical column. Move to the US because you hate "the institution" and oryal life, become a US citizen (a country that is still extremely proud of the Revolutionary War against the crown) become an obvious Democratic and very progressive supporter, STILL using his royal titles for personal gain.
  #788  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
From looking around it still seems you have to take the oath, even if you hold dual nationality/citizenship. I know someone born with dual citizenship who served in the Royal Navy which clearly involves an oath and "loyalty" to the Queen but they also didn't have to make that oath because they were born in Boston and raised in the UK.

Regardless of whether it's just legal words Harry says and he's not renouncing loyalty "in his heart" the media and any other detractors as well as politicians of all parties would still have a massive field day. And it just descend into more drama.

As for titles, this seems to give a good run down in the laws regarding titles in the US and it seems that on becoming a citizen you have to renounce any foreign titles.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/usa/usnob.htm

There's nothing to stop the Earl of Wharncliffe (who was born with US citizenship) using his titles socially or inheriting them but I assume they aren't on any official documents or recognised by the government.

If Harry ever became a citizen (and I have huge doubts about that) then he might have to. Even if they don't it's another tick in the farcical column. Move to the US because you hate "the institution" and oryal life, become a US citizen (a country that is still extremely proud of the Revolutionary War against the crown) become an obvious Democratic and very progressive supporter, STILL using his royal titles for personal gain.
Thatís my issue with it, and itís why I think - even if Harry could keep his titles should he become a U.S. citizen- he should renounce them.
  #789  
Old 10-24-2020, 12:13 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
That’s my issue with it, and it’s why I think - even if Harry could keep his titles should he become a U.S. citizen- he should renounce them.
I’m very curious to see what will happen. On one hand, I think that as of now it is looking very likely that Harry will be living in the US long-term. The Sussexes have centered their business and philanthropic interests in Los Angeles, and I don’t think that they (particularly Meghan) have any intention of moving back to the UK on a permanent or even extended basis. It’s very clear to me that California is where they are building their home and where they will raise their son and any future children. I could definitely see a desire to become a citizen of the country where he’s now chosen to build his life and raise his family, and take part fully in all the rights and privileges afforded to US citizens (like voting, which is obviously now an important issue to the couple).

On the other, it does bring into question the issue of titles and loyalty to his family. I’m sure he will always remain a British citizen, but is it appropriate for someone who is renouncing loyalty to foreign crowns to keep a royal title of a foreign crown? Could he drop the “prince” titles and be styled as a non-royal duke?
  #790  
Old 10-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
On the other, it does bring into question the issue of titles and loyalty to his family. Iím sure he will always remain a British citizen, but is it appropriate for someone who is renouncing loyalty to foreign crowns to keep a royal title of a foreign crown? Could he drop the ďprinceĒ titles and be styled as a non-royal duke?
And not only that but he would still be in the line of succession... (with a small but still real chance of being called to the throne if something would happen with William and his family - in the past we've seen whole (royal) family units die in an airplane crash, which I sincerely hope won't be repeated but an accident/crash of this magnitude is possible for each and everyone of us). However, the British apparently don't really care about foreigners in their line of succession as their line of succession even includes foreign monarchs...
  #791  
Old 10-24-2020, 12:35 PM
acdc1's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: somewhere in, United States
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And not only that but he would still be in the line of succession... (with a small but still real chance of being called to the throne if something would happen with William and his family - in the past we've seen whole (royal) family units die in an airplane crash, which I sincerely hope won't be repeated but an accident/crash of this magnitude is possible for each and everyone of us). However, the British apparently don't really care about foreigners in their line of succession as their line of succession even includes foreign monarchs...
If he retains his British citizenship Iím sure that he would still be in the line of succession, as there are other dual citizens fairly high up in the line, such as Archie and (I believe) Lord Frederick Windsorís daughter Maud, who was born in Los Angeles.
  #792  
Old 10-24-2020, 03:24 PM
AC21091968's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And not only that but he would still be in the line of succession... (with a small but still real chance of being called to the throne if something would happen with William and his family - in the past we've seen whole (royal) family units die in an airplane crash, which I sincerely hope won't be repeated but an accident/crash of this magnitude is possible for each and everyone of us). However, the British apparently don't really care about foreigners in their line of succession as their line of succession even includes foreign monarchs...
And there are issues with Harry's (and possibly Archie's) role as Counsellor of State. The criteria include
Councillors of State must be at least 21 years old (except the heir apparent or presumptive, who need only be 18 years old), they must be domiciled in the United Kingdom, and they must be a British subject
The word "domiciled" is the key. I'm not quite sure how the Privy Council, particularly government secretary of states would react if a Counsellor of State who don't permanently lived in a UK, can preside over them and "represent" the sovereign. Unless of course, he/she was very informed (by extensive research or advised by royal staff).

From Wikipedia, I know it's not accurate, but gave examples where the Counsellors of States are not in the direct line of succession, not technically senior working royals and not hold Royal styles and titles.
Since the passage of the Regency Act 1937, the only persons to have been Counsellors of State while not a queen consort, prince, or princess were George Lascelles, 7th Earl of Harewood; Alastair Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught and Strathearn (although Windsor had been a prince between 1914 and 1917 and never served in practice during his short tenure); and Maud Carnegie, Countess of Southesk (who was entitled to, but did not use the style of princess).
Unlike Harry and Archie's case, 7th Earl of Harewood, Alastair Windsor, 2nd Duke of Connaught and Strathearn and Maud Carnegie, Countess of Southesk (legally Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk) mainly resided in the UK.

The question isn't about having someone in the Privy Council who is not a working royal, but more about permanently reside in the UK.

It would not surprised me if some Privy Counsellors prefer Princess Beatrice as a Counsellor of State over Harry and possibly Archie, despite being lower in line of succession and was never a working royal. This is assumed that Princess Beatrice remains living the UK.
  #793  
Old 10-24-2020, 03:50 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
And not only that but he would still be in the line of succession... (with a small but still real chance of being called to the throne if something would happen with William and his family - in the past we've seen whole (royal) family units die in an airplane crash, which I sincerely hope won't be repeated but an accident/crash of this magnitude is possible for each and everyone of us). However, the British apparently don't really care about foreigners in their line of succession as their line of succession even includes foreign monarchs...
I'm willing to bet that most Brits don't know who's in the line of succession beyond the Queen's immediate family, let alone that there could be a "Viking Invasion" from Norway (that's what the press would call it) or Denmark or that there could be another Willem of Orange situation etc, because the possibilities are so remote it's laughable. The monarchy would likely be abolished if they needed to go further than Zara, probably before then.

With Harry I do believe that even if dual citizens are not required to formally renounce titles in the way someone becoming a sole citizen of the US would, I can see a huge amount of fuss being made for someone 6th in the line to literally renounce the Queen and not formally renounce his place as well, even if it is just legalese. Apart from anything else, it's hugely pointed about where your loyalties lie. And most monarchies these days are at pains to point out that they are for, from and of the country and its people. No importing German Princelings or too successful generals.
  #794  
Old 10-24-2020, 04:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: GTA, Canada
Posts: 3
I would venture to say that no matter what, he is a member of the peerage. Unless the Queen herself pulls his title. If you look at the case of the Duke of Atholl, he was born in South Africa. He did not come to Scotland except on holiday until he took over the Dukedom and sought citizenship at his father's death. I may be wrong and his father had sorted the citizenship out before.
  #795  
Old 10-24-2020, 11:37 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 8,354
A look at the new Diana Interview documentary and why Meghan was right to leave.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...6b0c02ca334779
  #796  
Old 10-25-2020, 04:54 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,060
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-Marines.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rt-claims.html

Just accept the fact they're never coming back; except for weddings and funerals; same as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Don't believe Wallis returned to the UK for the funeral of King George V1.
  #797  
Old 10-25-2020, 07:22 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
A look at the new Diana Interview documentary and why Meghan was right to leave.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...6b0c02ca334779
And maybe why William advised caution.
  #798  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:08 AM
ACO ACO is online now
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-Marines.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rt-claims.html

Just accept the fact they're never coming back; except for weddings and funerals; same as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Don't believe Wallis returned to the UK for the funeral of King George V1.
This is the same man who a few weeks ago spoke of a letter he wrote in which he basically told Harry to leave Meghan and Archie in California. If this is the same letter... anyone surprised he no response? Harry is a grown man. He is no longer a working royals. His military positions are just now a technicality and everyone knows it. Time to stop hoping this man returns without his wife and child.
  #799  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:42 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
This is the same man who a few weeks ago spoke of a letter he wrote in which he basically told Harry to leave Meghan and Archie in California. If this is the same letter... anyone surprised he no response? Harry is a grown man. He is no longer a working royals. His military positions are just now a technicality and everyone knows it. Time to stop hoping this man returns without his wife and child.
I dont think anyone cares, honestly if he comes back with or without wife and child.. The RF may want him back as they are short of workers but then again he's proved unreliable. And clealry part of the reason he has gone to the US is due to Meg's dislike of the UK, so its possible that he may eventually get home sick and want to come home..
  #800  
Old 10-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-Marines.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...rt-claims.html

Just accept the fact they're never coming back; except for weddings and funerals; same as the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Don't believe Wallis returned to the UK for the funeral of King George V1.

I am rather surprised by the Major General's revelation that reportedly the Royal Marines have not received any communication (written/electronic/phone) from Prince Harry in the last 6 1/2 months. According to Thompson, this is why they're considering seeking a new Captain General. I truly hope that Thompson is misinformed and that Prince Harry has been communicating with the Royal Marines.



Quote:
But informed sources say the Prince has not been in touch by phone, letter nor email since his last appearance as an honorary Marine in March, prompting exasperated top brass to start considering a replacement.
Going to take into consideration that this is the DM and it's possible that their "informed sources" are uniformed ones.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021 JessRulz Current Events Archive 874 03-07-2021 08:05 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america archie mountbatten-windsor asian baby names biography british british royal family buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker bowles china chinese daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex earl of snowdon elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style genetics george vi harry and meghan hereditary grand duchess stťphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume highgrove history hochberg hypothetical monarchs japan jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos king willem-alexander liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor list of rulers mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family plantinum jubilee pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange queen louise queen victoria royal ancestry royal jewels royalty of taiwan spain speech suthida thailand thai royal family uae customs unfinished portrait united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:40 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×