The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 1: September-December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump takes a cheap shot at Meghan. What else is new? He dragged her on the state visit to the UK. And Trump slags on women who challenge him - Hillary, Kamala Harris. For the record the Sussexes did not say vote for Biden. Trump needs a distraction - the latest news cycle is going that Trump may not do a peaceful transition of power (if he loses) and he's under water in some polls. There's still a chance the American voters may fire him on Election Day, mainly for COVID response. Going after Meghan at a White House press conference was stupid on Trump's part. Mentioning her by name will only galvanize a swath of the US press to defend her and some Americans to vote him out on Nov 3.

Actually, I believe its only the monarch that is supposed to remain neutral and not vote in elections. The rest of the family *do* have the right to vote but "The rules governing royals beyond the queen are less firm. But a Buckingham Palace spokesperson tells Newsweek that "by convention," members of the royal family "close to the queen" do not exercise their right to vote."

Harry does have the right to vote in the UK but "by convention", senior members of the royal family don't vote.

https://www.newsweek.com/british-el...l-family-prince-william-kate-middleton-622958

Trump takes a cheap shot at Meghan. What else is new? He dragged her on the state visit to the UK. And Trump slags on women who challenge him - Hillary, Kamala Harris. For the record the Sussexes did not say vote for Biden. Trump needs a distraction - the latest news cycle is going that Trump may not do a peaceful transition of power (if he loses) and he's under water in some polls. There's still a chance the American voters may fire him on Election Day, mainly for COVID response. Going after Meghan at a White House press conference was stupid on Trump's part. Mentioning her by name will only galvanize a swath of the US press to defend her and some Americans to vote him out on Nov 3.

I don’t really think any of us are going to be voting for/against Trump based on his comments about Meghan Markle.

I,however, do think that this will come back to bite the Sussexes esp. if Trump is re-elected

It is not necessary to say something literally to make sure that people understand exactly what you mean. I don't think there are many people that would argue that Meghan is suggesting they vote for Trump with her talking about 'this time it is really essential' - and all her previous utterances about politics both prior to her marriage and in the last 6 months or so.

The fact that you say 'the Sussexes didn't say vote for Biden' is proof that you also know that they aren't suggesting people vote for Trump... but instead appeal to voters for change.

Actually, I believe its only the monarch that is supposed to remain neutral and not vote in elections. The rest of the family *do* have the right to vote but "The rules governing royals beyond the queen are less firm. But a Buckingham Palace spokesperson tells Newsweek that "by convention," members of the royal family "close to the queen" do not exercise their right to vote."

Harry does have the right to vote in the UK but "by convention", senior members of the royal family don't vote.

https://www.newsweek.com/british-el...l-family-prince-william-kate-middleton-622958

Thank you Osipi for the Newsweek article, which has included a lot instances, where people think some members of the Royal Family may have dipped into "muddy waters of politics". But their comments/actions does not come close to Harry's comment, "As we approach this November, it's vital that we reject hate speech, misinformation and online negativity,".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54257450

On top of my head, the only member of the royal family, who has made comment on very contentious topics is Lord Nicholas Windsor (youngest son of the Prince Edward, Duke of Kent). He forfeited his right of succession to the British throne, after been received into the Catholic Church. He has written 'pro-life' opinions in The Telegraph, The Catholic Herald and First Things.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8817337/The-world-doesnt-have-a-right-to-abortion.html

I don't if he actually votes in UK elections though. If so, he probably kept it quiet like other members of the royal family.

Last edited:
An interesting article from Grazia UK

https://graziadaily.co.uk/amp/celeb...ction-vote-opinion/?__twitter_impression=true

Wishing for the complete destruction of the Sussexes is a waste of energy.

Thank you Madame Verseau for providing the article with a more sympathetic opinion towards Harry and Meghan.

The author of this article (Guy Pewsey) tried to equate Harry and Meghan's action with the Queen's statement at Welsh Assembly, showed his lack of understanding of the constitutional monarchy. The speech at the Welsh Assembly was written by someone else, not from Her Majesty herself. It is similar to the Queen's speech in the State Opening of Parliament, which is written by the Prime Minister, but read out by the Queen.

Besides, popping their heads above the parapet to encourage people to vote, being very careful to resist naming any names, is actually no breach at all. In 2003, after a low turnout in the Welsh Assembly vote, The Queen herself intervened. 'It is vital to the health both of the United Kingdom and of Wales that our democratic institutions flourish and adapt,' she said in an address. 'I share your concerns that we must encourage all our people to exercise their right to vote. This is a real challenge now before us all.' Would critics have been satisfied if Harry and Meghan had simply repeated these words by rote? No, of course they wouldn't.​

Omid Scobie has also made this stupid mistake and trying to shift the blame towards The Queen.

Last edited:
My first gut reaction was that Harry is turning into Meghan's parrot. :D It happens when one person in the marriage is a leader and the other is a follower. Dominant/recessive kind of thing. ?

I agree. I watched the clip without the volume, and he was constantly looking at her as if to see if he had her approval, like a puppy dog. At least that is what it looked like to me. Also, the statement Buckingham Palace released is not enough. Although it says that H & M are not working member of the royal family, they are still Commonwealth Ambassadors.

Last edited:
Buckingham Palace has somewhat responded, according to Chris Ship (ITV news royal editor)

Chris Ship @chrisshipitv
Asked about Harry’s comments, Buckingham Palace would only say: “The Duke is not a working member of the Royal Family and any comments he makes are made in a personal capacity.”
Sounds to me like they are seeking some distance
1:36 AM · Sep 24, 2020 · Twitter for iPhone

Other reporters were more cynical. For example Rebecca English (Daily Mail) and Camilla Tominey (The Telegraph)

Rebecca English @RE_DailyMail
Buckingham Palace have told me that they are not commenting on this, adding: ‘The Duke is not a working member of the Royal Family and any comments he makes are made in a personal capacity.’
Which I personally think IS a comment in itself.​

Camilla has published two tweets with two different articles attached individually

Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
'He is not a working member of the #RoyalFamily', says Palace after #Harry jumps into US voting drive #HarryandMeghan
4:52 AM · Sep 24, 2020 · Twitter for iPhone​

Camilla Tominey @CamillaTominey
It’s hard to see any way back into the #Royal family for #HarryandMeghan after risky decision to appear in US voting video
4:54 AM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

The two articles attached to Camilla tweets are
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...ns/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_Av77p3vMrVg8(For first tweet)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...ar/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_Av8DRrmT1yvj(For second tweet)

Russel Myers (Royal Editor for the Daily Mirror and Royal commentator for Lorraine) has not responded to the Buckingham Palace's release, but has tweeted out earlier

Russell Myers @rjmyers
In a rare moment for a member of the royal family to comment on politics, Prince Harry urges Americans to 'vote against hate' in the upcoming US election
7:15 PM · Sep 23, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

The attached article to his tweet: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-ne...r.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

I agree with Rebecca that BP’s non-statement is a statement.

This is what Harry wanted - total freedom to do as he wished. As an American, though, I don’t like it at all that he’s getting involved. It’s not his country, he has no idea what the issues are...and while I absolutely believe everyone should vote, who wants to hear from him?

I don’t understand why he gets to keep his title (same with Meghan) when he has complete divested himself of anything to do with the Royals - in terms of The Firm, not family- or the UK

:previous: THIS is the part of Harry's comment that irked me the most. I have no problem with influential people getting out the vote, but does Harry forget that he's a literal prince? His title is in direct opposition to the democratic process of voting, of course he couldn't vote. How can he victimize himself when the United States is battling a pandemic, racial tension, and a polarizing election? I'm amazed no one stop him from saying this.

Keep in mind this is a man who apparently thought he was a prisoner of his a Royal life (I’m referring to the title of Finding Freedom)...He’s also not exactly known for his brains. Hence, I’m not surprised that Harry would make such a statement.

On a side note, Meghan gave an encouragement message to Archie Williams, a contestant (singer) on America's Got Talent

America’s Got Talent Finale Tonight! @AGT
No one, not even @Archieisfree, expected a special message from Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex!
12:01 PM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter Media Studio​

Here in America we are hurting over several serious issues and it has been a painful spring and summer. My generation known as the 'baby boomers' are also known as the 'silent majority'. So when we see rioting, looting, and murder by criminals we have a tendency to admire people who speak out against injustices such as 'hate speech' which is directed at minorities. We are proud to have him and Meghan here as they have proven that they are decent people and genuinely care about all people. Its America, this is what is done here whether other countries like it or not. We say what we mean and we mean what we say. Most of us here want decency to return...so yes...get out and vote.

When Mr Trump said at the News Conference that he; " wished Harry a lot of luck because he's going to need it." My first thought was --- given the Presidents history of retaliation towards people he doesn't like, I wonder if he has plans to send Harry home, or something like that.
Or it may be something completely inoccuous.

I have the feeling Harry is not the brightest light also he can be lead around by the nose with little resistance sad really. He was happy in the Military maybe he should have stayed in ,he now would have served almost 20 years., with his fellow Soldiers he had a sense of belonging, he felt he was one of them. He always was kind of lost and he still is. Since his married he has changed a lot, but not for the better.

The most recent flair up on this thread appears to originate from this tweet.
This is an original tweet put out by ABC tv network, not a retweet, covering several recipients of Time Magazine's annual 100 most influential people around the world.
TIME will host 2020 TIME100 honorees for a special three-part series of consecutive TIME100 Talks, TIME’s series of virtual conversations that convenes influential leaders across fields to encourage cross-disciplinary action toward a better world. This series of TIME100 Talks will air on September 23, 24 and 25 on Time.com and across TIME’s social media platforms.
https://time.com/5892299/time100-talks-three-part-series-2020-list/

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are just part of the TIME100 Talks and were highlighted on ABC's twitter account. Individually, Meghan and Harry were named in the TIME 100 2018 list. https://time.com/collection/most-influential-people-2018/.

At the beginning of the video featuring the Duke and Duchess of Sussex it explains that they were named to the TIME100 in 2018. Harry goes on to thank Time Magazine for including them in this year's virtual launch. He also says this: "When the bad outweighs the good, for many, whether we realize it or not, it outweighs our ability to have compassion and put ourselves in someone elses shoes. Because when one person buys into negativity online the effects are felt exponentially. It's time not only to reflect but act". Megan then continues to highlight "today is National Voter Registration Day".

Yesterday, September 22, the 4th Tues in September was National Voter Registration Day in the US. I think Harry telling us he had never voted before and cannot vote in the US was informative, speaking primarily to an American audience.

Elections in the US are always important but this current presidential election coming up is most important for a number of reasons I won't go into. Let's just say we all need to vote "like our life depends upon it".

I saw no problem with this tweet, infact I thought the messaging was excellent.

When Mr Trump said at the News Conference that he; " wished Harry a lot of luck because he's going to need it." My first thought was --- given the Presidents history of retaliation towards people he doesn't like, I wonder if he has plans to send Harry home, or something like that.
Or it may be something completely inoccuous.

Yeah I thought Trump will try to sic immigration on Harry. Now a Trump lackey Corey Lewendowski took a shot at the Sussexes. But I'm curious as to the reporter who asked the question at the press conference. Not identified and they usually are.

Another TV appearance by the Duchess of Sussex.

This time on "America's Got Talent" -

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...illiams-americas-got-talent-2020-appeareance/

Nice to see a different room of the house. I like the decor.

I haven't seen much of the season but I remember watching Archie when he first auditioned. His story will stick in my mind forever. Not surprising Meghan reached out, and not because of the shared name.

In a time where America is dealing with racial tensions more then ever, and the issue of racial profiling of cops is a hot topic, Archie Williams is a living embodiment of much of that. What he has achieved after all he over came is amazing.

37 years of his life lost to prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Trump thinks Ghislaine Maxwell is a lovely woman and roots for her. He also does not like Meghan. I think Meghan is just fine with that.

Archie William — quite the story. My guess they were introduced to it and got hooked. I wish him all the luck I too. Unbelievable journey.

My first gut reaction was that Harry is turning into Meghan's parrot. :D It happens when one person in the marriage is a leader and the other is a follower. Dominant/recessive kind of thing. ?

Almost cringeworthy :D In this respect Trump is right, good luck to Harry, because he's gonna need it!

I completely agree that everyone should vote. Every democracy had its own struggles to bring about universal suffrage, a lot of countries don't have that even now, and I find it frustrating when people don't exercise their right to vote. And, yes, there is a big problem with hate speech and "online negativity" - I'm constantly amazed and distressed by the things that even friends whom I know to be decent people will post on social media when it comes to politics.

However, I don't think Harry should be making comments about an election, or lecturing American citizens on what they should be doing.

I completely agree that everyone should vote. Every democracy had its own struggles to bring about universal suffrage, a lot of countries don't have that even now, and I find it frustrating when people don't exercise their right to vote. And, yes, there is a big problem with hate speech and "online negativity" - I'm constantly amazed and distressed by the things that even friends whom I know to be decent people will post on social media when it comes to politics.

However, I don't think Harry should be making comments about an election, or lecturing American citizens on what they should be doing.
I completely agree with you !

No, he should not. Neither should Meghan who enjoys all the benefits of being Royal Duchess and yet shows zero respect for the institution she married into and clearly wants no part of it except for the position it gives her to promote her own agenda....politically and otherwise. She can vote for Pee Wee Herman for all I care, but I have a big problem with either of them using their positions as members of the British Royal Family to lecture US citizens during an election.

it is certainly important to vote if you live in a democracy, or at least engage and spoil your ballot etc and this is an incredibly important election.

Harry and Meghan bringing up the fact that he has never voted is frustrating to me because:

1) He's not a US citizen and cannot vote in the election anyway.

2) The reason he's never voted is because of his very privileged position (which also includes access to politicians and movers and shakers to support your personal initiatives). Equating that with disenfranchisement, attempted suppression of the vote or those who have never been interested in voting before is incredibly disingenuous.

And as a personal note some supporters are now criticising other senior members of the BRF for not speaking out more on political topics (or anti Trump/government platforms) which is completely against what they are supposed to stand for and is incredibly frustrating.

And as an aside I think if in the unlikely scenario Harry came out as a US Republican (even if not enthused with Trump) then all this "he's allowed to/should speak his mind now" would disappear in an instant for obvious reasons, even though it's the same principle.

Last edited:
it is certainly important to vote if you live in a democracy, or at least engage and spoil your ballot etc and this is an incredibly important election.

Harry and Meghan bringing up the fact that he has never voted is frustrating to me because:

1) He's not a US citizen and cannot vote in the election anyway.

2) The reason he's never voted is because of his very privileged position (which also includes access to politicians and movers and shakers to support your personal initiatives). Equating that with disenfranchisement, attempted suppression of the vote or those who have never been interested in voting before is incredibly disingenuous.

And as a personal note some supporters are now criticising other senior members of the BRF for not speaking out more on political topics (or anti Trump/government platforms) which is completely against what they are supposed to stand for and is incredibly frustrating.

And as an aside I think if in the unlikely scenario Harry came out as a US Republican (even if not enthused with Trump) then all this "he's allowed to/should speak his mind now" would disappear in an instant for obvious reasons, even though it's the same principle.

You hit the nail on the head. They would be ostracized by Hollywood, the Obamas, Oprah and all the politically Liberal minded influential people they have aligned themselves with. Their minions would drop like flies. Of course there is no secret who and what they support and I could care less either way. My issue is being lectured by ANY puffed up celebrity (which is what they have become) on who or what to vote for. The fact they are using their position as members of a foreign Royal family to do this is really outrageous and dangerous IMO.

Last edited:
I found out the reporter who asked Trump about Meghan at the press conference: Kim Scwab from the Daily Mail, the "paper" Meghan is suing. I'm more concern about a British tabloid mucking around in a US election than an American who is royal by marriage. That reporter implied to Trump Meghan endorsed Biden, knowing Trump would not discern the difference.

Some politicians (former and backbencher) have commented on twitter

Ben Bradley retweeted Dan Wootton's video of Trump at Press Conference with an emoji of Smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes. He is a Conservative MP for Mansfield.

Kate Hoey (Former Labour MP for Vauxhall 1989-2019). She retweeted Ben Riley-Smith's video of Trump at Press Conference.
Kate Hoey @CatharineHoey
Whatever you think of the President this was a clever response to the question
7:28 PM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Nigel Farage (Leader of the Brexit Party, former leader of UKIP). He also retweeted Dan Wooton's video
Nigel Farage @Nigel_Farage
A bit of light-hearted relief.
7:19 PM · Sep 24, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Meghan can say whatever she likes, since as far as I'm concerned she is just another hypocritical celebrity who likes telling others what to do.

But Harry is a foreigner, and the election is none of his business. (I wouldn't presume to go to the UK and tell people to vote for Boris Johnson).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom