The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 06:39 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I thought that Sentabele was Harry's own idea.. not that he's a full time worker for them but that it was out of his head.
Sorry - the project was one of many social projects directed at AIDS in Southern Africa. One of the original considered patrons of the organization was Princess Diana. There are sister organization in several South African provinces and in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia. They were split up as many people wanted to invest directly in a specific region and the UN was worried about corruption in some areas. Harry was in Lesotho for several UK foreign aid projects. Including the building of a school and hospital wing. Sad to say neither are standing - I would love some foreign aid to rebuild, but no foreign aid anymore - not for a while at least. Maybe I should write him a letter.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
It isn't his surname? Then what is it?
Yes it is Mountbatten Windsor nad if he were in a situation where he needed to use his legal surname, that's what he would use. Royals often use their titles as informal surnames, such as "Eugenie York".. or when H was in the army he was "Harry Wales" but his legal surname, is M Windsor.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Sorry - the project was one of many social projects directed at AIDS in Southern Africa. One of the original considered patrons of the organization was Princess Diana. There are sister organization in several South African provinces and in Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Namibia. They were split up as many people wanted to invest directly in a specific region and the UN was worried about corruption in some areas. Harry was in Lesotho for several UK foreign aid projects. Including the building of a school and hospital wing. Sad to say neither are standing - I would love some foreign aid to rebuild, but no foreign aid anymore - not for a while at least. Maybe I should write him a letter.
Surely Sentabele didn't appear until some years after Di's death? I dont recall hearing anyting about it until Harry was about 20 or so and I understood that he'd set it up with the aid of another prince from Africa I think as a memorial to his mother.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:52 AM
Majesty

Well, Sentebale was an early project of Harry's after his gap year, and Prince Seiko of Lesotho has often spoken of it coming from both he and Harry having lost their mother at an early age. I remember the early years distinctly, and there was no mention of it being a project of William's. In fact he didn't visit Lesotho until he later went With a film crew accompanying his brother.

The organisation speaks of Prince Seiko and Harry's beginning the charity in their names on their Home Page.

https://sentebale.org/who-we-are/

Similarly, Harry went back to the UK with the idea for an international competition for maimed and wounded soldiers after seeing a similar US based contest for Wounded Wartiors in the US.

He was already involved on treks with maimed ex service personnel to the North and South Poles, and with vet organisations so that was an extension of it. That others thought of the Invictus Games first is completely incorrect.
Old 12-17-2020, 06:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The fact that Netflix and Spotify announced deals with "the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" rather than "Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor" suggests to me that the couple is basically cashing in on their royal brand (not necessarily "royal connections"). And it also confirms to me that has been Meghan's "business plan" from the start.
As someone else already mentioned, Prince Harry was born a prince. It's part of who he is. But it's who he has become on his own merit that garners him respect and Netflix/Spotify deals. Meghan did not grow up in a wealthy family, but she lived a fairly privileged childhood, receiving an excellent education at The Little Red Schoolhouse, St. Mary's (middle school & high school), and prestigious Northwestern University.

Meghan has always worked hard and given back throughout her life. Believing in herself and never giving up is how she landed the lucrative and life-changing role in Suits that brought her to Toronto, where she made friends and developed connections that coincidentally and fatefully led to her meeting Prince Harry. The rest is history-in-the-making.

To each their own views and opinions. Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-17-2020, 07:00 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
"Sentabale was already ready to go when he was asked to join. It really should have gone to William, it was offered to him first."
This is new.. to me anyway.

Somehow I doubt members of the squad would have donated to those specific charities (many of whom have been major orgs with a big wealthy backers already). And there has already been two times, that I know of, where they @ the charities in a major tantrum when it failed to mention the squad or even thank them publicly for doing a fundraiser.
Yep - it is difficult to judge . But basically this is what happens. And you can use any large scale event - Live Aid for example.
Most people who donate, donate as part of their religion or consider it their morale duty. That is roughly 7% of the UK pop, regular donate to charities ie. not their church or mosque. They either do this monthly or yearly. Monthly is what aid workers want. It is a guaranteed steady income. Yearly - it will be less, and more inconsistent as it will go the charity with the biggest bandwagon. So you want to donate some money at the end of the year - you look at what you are interested in or what you think needs the most funds or what is a worth cause. You see the Sentable and it ticks all the boxes, do an internet check and see that it had received money due to Harry and Megan and the Sussex squad and think well they probably dont need my money and place it elsewhere. So the price of the twitter appeal will be several years of people passing it by on regular donations.

Same with Live Aid - we got millions from one event that year but lost millions for several years to come on basic donations. And now when you try to raise money for African Food Project people say what happened to the money Bono raised for you.

Social media and TV emotionally appeals work well with immediate and short terms problems - corona, hurricanes, tsanami's ect. Not long term problems, food and water sovereignty, human rights, health care ect.

Donation fatigue is a real thing and people should be encourages to donate month or simply drop their small change into the tins for any charity, they all need the money.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
https://www.nickiswift.com/162785/ho...-really-worth/

Meghan was a full-fledged member of the Suits ensemble cast. Of course, Patrick J. Adams, Gabriel Macht, and Gina Torres were the main stars of the original cast. But Meghan, Rick Hoffman, and Sarah Rafferty were important members of the main cast from the beginning of the series. So no, Meghan was not a 'side' character on Suits. Meghan appeared in practically every episode in some capacity. There was an ongoing 'love' interest story between her character and Patrick J. Adams' character throughout the series.

The above article states that Meghan reportedly made $50,000 per Suits episode for a total of approximately $450,000 annually. She was on the show for seven seasons, so surely she received a pay increase over the years of the production's moderate, but significant success. For a small, very brief role as a bartender in the Robert Pattinson film, Remember Me, Meghan earned $187,000. She also had small or featured roles in a number of other films and television shows. Plus, she starred in two Hallmark romance flicks, filmed in Vancouver. She also did modeling work for hair, fashion and beauty brands and publications.

Meghan still receives royalties (or residuals) for Suits episodes and for all of her other onscreen work that is still being aired or sold on DVD. That can amount to a substantial annual income. Meghan also has a business accounting firm that has handled financial investments for her over the years to help grow her income. But there hasn't been any confirmed reports of Meghan's exact wealth/ total assets.

Not everyone who makes a lot of money decides to purchase a house and/or a car. Meghan rented her Toronto flat, and she probably utilized a car service provided by the studio to get to work. They often filmed episodes overnight.

It's been reported in biographies of Meghan that she returned her engagement ring to her former husband, and didn't request a financial settlement, as she was making plenty of money on Suits. The Tig blog and Meghan's contract with Reitmans also netted her substantial income.

I'm sorry but all of these numbers incredibly inflated are inaccurate.

An unknown actress like Meghan (this movie was made before Suits!) would not get 100K for a minor role in a low budget indie movie (how many total minutes is she even in the movie?), I mean she's not even listed in the main cast list at Wikipedia, so i'm guessing 5 minutes, maybe 10 - out of 120 minutes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rememb...010_film)#Cast
She likely made scale, maybe a bit more because Trevor was a producer, given how small her role was.

As an unknown actress with very little to her resume let alone any noteworthy parts, Meghan would not make more than scale (which as I previously noted have just been updated to about 8.5K per episode- meaning it was less than that in 2011) for being the last billed on a barely known show in a minor cable channel.
Even her costars would likely not have made much more than scale (except Gina Torres and the guy who played the characters called Louis(?), but they both had a strong and long body of work long before Suits)
The amount of time she was per episode was not alot - from what I could tell her time averaged at 5 -10 minutes an episode, she does of course now gets syndication percentage (I believe it is around 3 to 5% I will need to double check on the SAG website), and I do remember that is based on how many minutes an actor is on screen and the percentage is calculated from the amount they got per episode. I know the show is on Netflix, but I would be surprised to learn they have a higher viewer number than 1mil (and even than I am inflating a bit.

Add in paying taxes in two countries than fees to her Agent, lawyer, accounted, PR!!, people like Gina Nelthorpe-Cowne (who does not come cheap).
And if memory serves me right, when Suits was not filming she had to pay rent from her own pocket.

I am sorry but Meghan was not a millionaire - the only way she was is if she invested in the stock market - and even than the market only sky rocketed in the last three to four years! before that it was raising but very slowly, and if she did her money would be tied up in stocks, she would need to cash in to actually be considered a millionaire.
And yes, I have yet to see an actor who make it big enough to make big money (I mean big enough to become a millionaire) and not buy even a small house as a safety net in case they never get an acting job ever again, at least the smart ones do.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Surely Sentabele didn't appear until some years after Di's death? I dont recall hearing anyting about it until Harry was about 20 or so and I understood that he'd set it up with the aid of another prince from Africa I think as a memorial to his mother.
At the age of 18, Harry met Prince Seeiso in Lesotho.* There Harry learned about the plight of poor orphaned children, many infected with AIDS or HIV. There are several documentaries available on YouTube (filmed by Tom Bradby) about Harry's work in Africa. The films fully explain his journey from lost young man to humanitarian. It was in Lesotho and Botswana that Harry began to gain a sense of purpose and to begin placing his grief over his mother's death into manageable perspective.

Harry formed a friendship with Prince Seeiso, and together they created Sentebale (which means 'Forget-me-not'), in memory of both their mothers. Harry was nearly 19 at the time. Prince Charles had suggested to Harry that he wait until he was older and that he should graduate from Sandhurst first. But Harry was determined to waste no time in creating the charity because he felt so strongly about helping the needy children and the community. The development of the Royal Foundation in 2009 was in large part a joint effort by Harry & William to help Harry raise funds for Sentebale. Of course, other charitable projects supported by each brother either jointly or individually were later included under the RF umbrella.

* Eventually, the work of Sentebale which began in Lesotho was expanded to include assistance for needy children and young people in Botswana and Malawi.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:

An unknown actress like Meghan (this movie was made before Suits!) would not get 100K for a minor role in a low budget indie movie (how many total minutes is she even in the movie?), I mean she's not even listed in the main cast list at Wikipedia, so i'm guessing 5 minutes, maybe 10 - out of 120 minutes.
She likely made scale, maybe a bit more because Trevor was a producer, given how small her role was.

As an unknown actress with very little to her resume let alone any noteworthy parts, Meghan would not make more than scale (which as I previously noted have just been updated to about 8.5K per episode- meaning it was less than that in 2011) for being the last billed on a barely known show in a minor cable channel.
Even her costars would likely not have made much more than scale (except Gina Torres and the guy who played the characters called Louis(?), but they both had a strong and long body of work long before Suits)
The amount of time she was per episode was not alot - from what I could tell her time averaged at 5 -10 minutes an episode, she does of course now gets syndication percentage (I believe it is around 3 to 5% I will need to double check on the SAG website), and I do remember that is based on how many minutes an actor is on screen and the percentage is calculated from the amount they got per episode. I know the show is on Netflix, but I would be surprised to learn they have a higher viewer number than 1mil (and even than I am inflating a bit.

Add in paying taxes in two countries than fees to her Agent, lawyer, accounted, PR!!, people like Gina Nelthorpe-Cowne (who does not come cheap).

I am sorry but Meghan was nowhere near a millionaire- the only way she was is if she invested in the stock market.
And yes, I have yet to see an actor who make it big enough to make big money (I mean big enough to become a millionaire) and not buy even a small house as a safety net in case they never get an acting job ever again, at least the smart ones do.
I dobut she was a millionaire.. I think she made a decent living but as you say, most actors who are starting out, who get a break, want to buy a home so that at least they have a roof over their heads.. so it is pretty surprising if Meg didn't buy a little place to live in. She could have gotten a mortgage and bought a small property in LA.. she didn't know she was going to be so lucky as to meet Harry.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:26 AM
Majesty

With reference to Harry's surname (He has never used Mountbatten Windsor privately or publicly.

https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-name

'...that The Queen's descendants, OTHER than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.'

Harry still has his HRH (which he doesn't use commercially) and has the title of Prince.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
With reference to Harry's surname (He has never used Mountbatten Windsor privately or publicly.

https://www.royal.uk/royal-family-name

'...that The Queen's descendants, OTHER than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.'

Harry still has his HRH (which he doesn't use commercially) and has the title of Prince.
yes but his legal surname is Mountbatten Windsor. He could choose to use it if he wishes to...
Old 12-17-2020, 07:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:

As an unknown actress with very little to her resume let alone any noteworthy parts, Meghan would not make more than scale...
Surely the amount listed for Remember Me is accurate. There's probably documentation of that amount for her total salary. It's likely checkable and traceable, or it wouldn't have been reported as being that amount. We'd probably be surprised how much actors make for small roles in films that make a profit. At the time Meghan appeared in Remember Me, she was married to Trevor Engelson, and he was the producer of that film, as noted.

In Andrew Morton's biography of Meghan, American Princess, Morton indicates that Engelson did not often find roles in his films to give Meghan work. But she did get this particular role. It's in a bar that's darkly lit, so she's barely visible. But she does speak one line. Again, it's easily checkable how much a small role like that can bring when the film is moderately successful, which Remember Me, in fact, was.

https://www.thefilmography.com/meghan-markle-32684.php

Remember Me was not Meghan's first role in a film, and she had a union card. She was actively going on auditions and she'd made a number of television pilots by then that did not get picked up by any network. In 2009, Meghan starred as an FBI agent in the television series, Fringe. She played the minor, uncredited role in Remember Me in 2010. By that point, she'd landed some significant, if not highly visible, work already. So she probably rated higher than scale for the small role in a movie that went on to make decent money.

If you're saying you don't believe she made much more than 'scale,' how much do you think that was? In any case, it doesn't matter since it happened a long time ago, and whatever money Meghan made, she reportedly saved a good portion of it, and she retained a good business accounting and investment firm that still represents her.

As I mentioned earlier, Meghan receives substantial residuals annually for all of her film and television work. Since Meghan dated and married Prince Harry, there has been more interest in and thus increased sales of Suits DVDs and even of obscure films and television pilots that she appeared in. Hallmark released a special edition of Meghan's two films (The Dater's Handbook, and When Sparks Fly), along with a bonus third film about a royal tale that Meghan was not part of.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:51 AM
Serene Highness

My understanding is that if there is a circumstance where a legal surname is needed then HRH royals use Mountbatten-Windsor, but use their birth titles and if granted a dukedom / earldom, assume that title.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm sure the amount listed for Remember Me is accurate. There's probably documentation of that amount for her total salary. It's likely checkable and traceable, or it wouldn't have been reported as being that amount. We'd probably be surprised how much actors make for small roles in films that make a profit. At the time Meghan appeared in Remember Me, she was married to Trevor Engelson, and he was the producer of that film, as noted.

In Andrew Morton's biography of Meghan, American Princess, Morton indicates that Engelson did not often find roles in his films to give Meghan work. But she did get this particular role. It's in a bar that's darkly lit, so she's barely visible. But she does speak one line. Again, it's easily checkable how much a small role like that can bring when the film is moderately successful, which Remember Me, in fact, was.

Remember Me was not Meghan's first role in a film, and she had a union card. She was going on auditions and she'd made a number of pilots by then that did not get picked up by any network.

If you're saying you don't believe she made much more than 'scale,' how much do you think that was? In any case, it doesn't matter since it happened a long time ago, and whatever money Meghan made, she reportedly saved a good portion of it, and she retained a good business accounting firm that still represents her.

As I mentioned earlier, Meghan receives substantial residuals annually for all of her film and television work. Since Meghan dated and married Prince Harry, there has been more interest in and thus increased sales of Suits DVDs and even of obscure films and television pilots that she appeared in. Hallmark released a special edition of Meghan's two films (The Dater's Handbook, and When Sparks Fly, along with a bonus third film about a royal tale that Meghan was not part of.
given how much money she has acquired through her marriage, she is pulling in the residual fees??
Old 12-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The fact that Netflix and Spotify announced deals with "the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" rather than "Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor" suggests to me that the couple is basically cashing in on their royal brand (not necessarily "royal connections"). And it also confirms to me that has been Meghan's "business plan" from the start.
I already thought they were trading on the “royal brand”...this confirms it. As I said before, there’s no way Netflix would ever have given out some huge contract to complete unknowns with zero producing experience. They no doubt expect to garner ratings just by people seeing that the “Duke and Duchess of Sussex” are involved. Most people would have no idea who Harry and Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor are. Harry said he wanted time be known by this name, but he’s constantly proving that’s not true. I really believe they need to have their titles stripped - then they won’t be able to market their title.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:11 AM
Majesty

Quote:
yes but his legal surname is Mountbatten Windsor. He could choose to use it if he wishes to...
Did you not read the quote from the article?

'that The Queen's descendants, OTHER than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.'

Harry is a descendant of the Queen (and Prince Philip) but he has the Styling of Royal Highness and the title of Prince, therefore he does not 'carry the name of Mountbatten Windsor.'
Old 12-17-2020, 08:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Did you not read the quote from the article?

'that The Queen's descendants, OTHER than those with the style of Royal Highness and the title of Prince/Princess, or female descendants who marry, would carry the name of Mountbatten-Windsor.'

Harry is a descendant of the Queen (and Prince Philip) but he has the Styling of Royal Highness and the title of Prince, therefore he does not 'carry the name of Mountbatten Windsor.'
Far as I understand when Will took out a lawsuit in France, he used the name Mountbatten WIndsor... and Anne signed her marriage register with that name.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I dobut she was a millionaire.. I think she made a decent living but as you say, most actors who are starting out, who get a break, want to buy a home so that at least they have a roof over their heads.. so it is pretty surprising if Meg didn't buy a little place to live in. She could have gotten a mortgage and bought a small property in LA.. she didn't know she was going to be so lucky as to meet Harry.
It's been widely reported that Meghan was a millionaire by the time she met Prince Harry. I don't see any reason to disbelieve that based on her Suits salary, financial investments, and substantial additional work projects, including modeling ventures, her Tig blog, and her Reitman's contract.

Meghan dated Engelson for about 7 years in L.A., and they lived together, possibly in a rented property, or else the property was in his name.* They were engaged in 2010 around the time she landed the role in the Suits pilot which was filmed in New York in Fall 2010, and immediately picked up by USA Network. After she married Engelson in 2011 in Jamaica, Meghan moved to Toronto and rented the the well-known attached townhome (under her married name at the time, Meghan Engelson). She lived in that same property the entire time she was based in Toronto filming Suits for 7 seasons from 2011 to 2017.

* When Harry & Meghan purchased their Montecito home, the statement released by their representatives indicated that it was the first home purchase for both of them. That means Meghan never previously purchased a house of her own.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
given how much money she has acquired through her marriage, she is pulling in the residual fees??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residu...nment_industry

There's also a passage in Finding Freedom, which mentions that much of Meghan's current annual income is derived from residuals she receives for her past work as an actor.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:27 AM
Majesty

Quote:
It's been widely reported that Meghan was a millionaire by the time she met Prince Harry. I don't see any reason to disbelieve that based on her Suits salary, financial investments, and substantial additional work projects, including modeling ventures, her Tig blog, and her Reitman's contract.

Meghan dated Engelson for about 7 years in L.A., and they lived together, possibly in a rented property, or else the property was in his name. They were engaged in 2010 around the time she landed the role in the Suits pilot which was filmed in New York in Fall 2010, and immediately picked up by USA Network. After she married Engelson in 2011 in Jamaica, Meghan moved to Toronto and rented the the well-known attached townhome (under her married name at the time, Meghan Engelson). She lived in that same property the entire time she was based in Toronto filming Suits for 7 seasons from 2011 to 2017.
Widely reported can mean anything. I suppose there are millionaries who never own a home but I'd think it was strange.

Closed Thread