The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2061  
Old 12-16-2020, 06:41 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Posts: 205
Just as many had predicted, these two really are using their royal titles to make money.
__________________

  #2062  
Old 12-16-2020, 06:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
They sounded exactly how I would have expected them to sound...
__________________

  #2063  
Old 12-16-2020, 07:11 AM
Tamara77's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Appalachian Mountains, United States
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy345 View Post
I am an American and I have relatives in California, they are interested in them in California and don't have any negativity.but I would not say "most" Americans don't like them. Unless there is a visit to every household there is no way of knowing who dislikes them or anything about how 'most" feel. Some perhaps do not care about any royals or their relatives or what happens. And that might be a significant number. I disagree with you. I have never heard one negative thing about them here. There is more dislike of Trump and he is the subject of much criticism not the sussexes. I think they have their fans, they have people who dislike them from the get go and those who don't care. The percentages unless something truly definitive is done is not known.
I didn't say people didn't like them. I said "People generally don't care for them", meaning: Folks generally just don't have the time or energy to focus on them past their own needs of keeping a job, feeding their families, avoiding or recovering from Covid. It doesn't matter that you are American as well and have relatives in California-so what? I'm trying to be kind here, but please don't twist my words, add to them, or otherwise bring politics into it.
  #2064  
Old 12-16-2020, 10:36 AM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Just as many had predicted, these two really are using their royal titles to make money.
You clearly didn't listen to the podcast. The couple did not use their titles. They simply introduced themselves as Harry & Meghan.
__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
  #2065  
Old 12-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Torrance, United States
Posts: 5,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
They sounded exactly how I would have expected them to sound...

Yes I have to agree that they did sound like I expected them to do so.


Quote:
I didn't say people didn't like them. I said "People generally don't care for them", meaning: Folks generally just don't have the time or energy to focus on them past their own needs of keeping a job, feeding their families, avoiding or recovering from Covid. It doesn't matter that you are American as well and have relatives in California-so what? I'm trying to be kind here, but please don't twist my words, add to them, or otherwise bring politics into it.

Hi Tamara77-Speaking as a native Californian who resides in Los Angeles Co., apart from my mother and spouse have yet to hear any of my friends, work colleagues or family members mention the Sussexes except when they married in 2018. My daughter who is a student at UC Santa Barbara lives about ten-fifteen minutes away from Montecito and she wasn't even aware that they'd moved there.


Honestly like you I believe that the vast majority of Californians are focused upon other concerns and stories. If they're royal watchers, then yes they'd have an interest but otherwise the Sussexes are rarely even covered by the local media.
  #2066  
Old 12-16-2020, 11:10 AM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,763
Unless the podcast is closed captioned, it'll do me no good whatsoever so I've not really even checked into it. I'm kind of weird as I don't usually run any videos (my computer system here doesn't even have a sound card to it) and just recently, I've deleted my Twitter and Instagram accounts as I never use them. It's all part and parcel of living in a world where there is something of interest for everybody and the selections of interesting things are plentiful. I also grew up with a TV that only had 3-4 major stations to choose from so I can appreciate all the choices.

If these deals that Harry and Meghan are now making get them ahead in the world and serve to make Archewell a success, more power to them. They're actually *doing* something. They're trying and i can't fault them for that. it doesn't matter one bit that a podcast they do isn't something I'm interested in or can benefit from but even if only three people listen and pay attention and it changes their thinking, it'll have been a success.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2067  
Old 12-16-2020, 12:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Yes I have to agree that they did sound like I expected them to do so.





Hi Tamara77-Speaking as a native Californian who resides in Los Angeles Co., apart from my mother and spouse have yet to hear any of my friends, work colleagues or family members mention the Sussexes except when they married in 2018. My daughter who is a student at UC Santa Barbara lives about ten-fifteen minutes away from Montecito and she wasn't even aware that they'd moved there.


Honestly like you I believe that the vast majority of Californians are focused upon other concerns and stories. If they're royal watchers, then yes they'd have an interest but otherwise the Sussexes are rarely even covered by the local media.
I don’t think it has to do with Californians or any other Americans; in general, during a pandemic or not, Americans don’t care one way or the other about the Royals. A small percentage of us follows the BRF, but certainly none of them, including Harry and Meghan, are covered by the media. They’re just another wealthy couple living the good life - their titles mean absolutely nothing here (except perhaps to starstruck business people who hire them - or would have under normal conditions- to give speeches). Americans as a whole do not like people getting special treatment just because they are rich and/or famous and/or some sort of celebrity.
  #2068  
Old 12-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I don’t think it has to do with Californians or any other Americans; in general, during a pandemic or not, Americans don’t care one way or the other about the Royals. A small percentage of us follows the BRF, but certainly none of them, including Harry and Meghan, are covered by the media. They’re just another wealthy couple living the good life - their titles mean absolutely nothing here (except perhaps to starstruck business people who hire them - or would have under normal conditions- to give speeches). Americans as a whole do not like people getting special treatment just because they are rich and/or famous and/or some sort of celebrity.
It all depends too on where you look. Those that avidly care and follow the Sussexes will find anything and everything to do with them by a simple search with a search engine. It's out there. Those that are not interested will be searching for things they're personally interested in. Heck. We even have specialty TV channels now. One totally devoted to Western themes old and new. Those designated for romcoms and the happy, sappy and even sometimes crappy holiday "feel good" movies abound on at least 4 channels I have 24/7 now. Then there's strictly news channels for those avidly following politics and news. 328.2 million people in the US all with their specific likes and dislikes. How diverse eh? There really can't be a general consensus of likes and dislikes that encompasses all of us.

With me, it's like porn channels. I don't do them. I'm not even going to allow it on my radar. The BRF and the institution of the monarchy in the UK is very much on my radar and I follow them avidly. As far as I'm concerned, Harry and Meghan are a breed of UK royalty never seen before that have preferred to stand alone on their own merits without the global platform of the "Firm". It's a brand new road to go on and blaze a trail and although I'm not a "stan" of the Sussexes, I will follow them here on TRF but I don't go looking elsewhere to find out about them. Then again, I don't for *any* of the BRF as a rule.

But that's just me. And I'm a lonely petunia in an onion patch in a lot of things.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2069  
Old 12-16-2020, 01:46 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Woodbury, United States
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
It all depends too on where you look. Those that avidly care and follow the Sussexes will find anything and everything to do with them by a simple search with a search engine. It's out there. Those that are not interested will be searching for things they're personally interested in. Heck. We even have specialty TV channels now. One totally devoted to Western themes old and new. Those designated for romcoms and the happy, sappy and even sometimes crappy holiday "feel good" movies abound on at least 4 channels I have 24/7 now. Then there's strictly news channels for those avidly following politics and news. 328.2 million people in the US all with their specific likes and dislikes. How diverse eh? There really can't be a general consensus of likes and dislikes that encompasses all of us.

With me, it's like porn channels. I don't do them. I'm not even going to allow it on my radar. The BRF and the institution of the monarchy in the UK is very much on my radar and I follow them avidly. As far as I'm concerned, Harry and Meghan are a breed of UK royalty never seen before that have preferred to stand alone on their own merits without the global platform of the "Firm". It's a brand new road to go on and blaze a trail and although I'm not a "stan" of the Sussexes, I will follow them here on TRF but I don't go looking elsewhere to find out about them. Then again, I don't for *any* of the BRF as a rule.

But that's just me. And I'm a lonely petunia in an onion patch in a lot of things.
I'm sorry, Osipi, but color me confused - I don't see how your comments relate to my own.

I feel very comfortable in saying that Americans, as a whole don't care about the BRF or any Royal family. I stand by my comments. I'm not speaking for every single American - that's why I've said "in general" or "as a whole".
  #2070  
Old 12-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
You clearly didn't listen to the podcast. The couple did not use their titles. They simply introduced themselves as Harry & Meghan.
They don't need to introduce themselves as 'Their royal highnesses etc'; everyone knows who they are. Had it not been for Harry being the queen's grandson they would surely NOT have landed this deal with Spotify! So yes, they are making money of their royal titles/fame.
  #2071  
Old 12-16-2020, 01:58 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
You clearly didn't listen to the podcast. The couple did not use their titles. They simply introduced themselves as Harry & Meghan.
RandyDrx most definitely has a point.

After all this is from Newsroom Spotify:

"Today, Archewell Audio, the newly-formed audio-first production company created by Prince Harry, The Duke of Sussex and Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex, has announced a multi-year partnership with Spotify"......

"The Duke and Duchess that will feature stories of hope and compassion from inspirational guests in celebration of the new year. In 2021, The Duke and Duchess will produce and host podcasts that build community through shared experiences and values."......

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex may live in California, but the power of their voices rests in their status as citizens of the world"......

"We are proud to partner with The Duke and Duchess and look forward to listeners hearing directly from them and the other creators that they will be elevating via our global platform.”

That's an awful lot of dukes & duchesses in five paragraphs! Plus a prince at the start.

The titles debate is off topic on here now I think but clearly they remain important to both the couple & the businesses that they work with/for.

PS - so many capitals used in the wrong place!
  #2072  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:00 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
They don't need to introduce themselves as 'Their royal highnesses etc'; everyone knows who they are. Had it not been for Harry being the queen's grandson they would surely NOT have landed this deal with Spotify! So yes, they are making money of their royal titles/fame.
Even so, they're making deals because of who they are and not because of a role they have in the monarchy of the UK or the "Firm'. They can never change who they are and who they were born to and that just happens to give them a modicum of "fame" to start and build with. They can't erase what has gone before.

So, actually, they're making their own money based on themselves and the fame (or disfame if there's such a word) and not because of their "connections" to titles and the institution of the UK monarchy. They are who they are and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Let's face it. In this world today, *any* edge that will help promote and advance a person, they're going to take advantage of it. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Very competitive.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #2073  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:06 PM
Elenath's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Nuth, Netherlands
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
They don't need to introduce themselves as 'Their royal highnesses etc'; everyone knows who they are. Had it not been for Harry being the queen's grandson they would surely NOT have landed this deal with Spotify! So yes, they are making money of their royal titles/fame.
In that case they can never make any money. Because whatever they do, they'll have people say they only got it because of their titles and therefor are making money of them.

Did William only got his job at the air ambulance because who he is? Or princesses Beatrice and Eugenie? Their husbands? Whatever they do from their weddings on will only be because of the BRF.
  #2074  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:09 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Even so, they're making deals because of who they are and not because of a role they have in the monarchy of the UK or the "Firm'. They can never change who they are and who they were born to and that just happens to give them a modicum of "fame" to start and build with. They can't erase what has gone before.

So, actually, they're making their own money based on themselves and the fame (or disfame if there's such a word) and not because of their "connections" to titles and the institution of the UK monarchy. They are who they are and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Let's face it. In this world today, *any* edge that will help promote and advance a person, they're going to take advantage of it. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Very competitive.
I find that a very interesting point of view.

To me & others it's seems quite obvious they're making money because of the opportunities that exist as a result of their connections. Quite blatant really.

That said they do have an audience & it would be churlish to say that they don't have appeal as individuals to some people. But it's obvious their status amplifies their voice immeasurably. And they're not shy to use it when it suits.
  #2075  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:12 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
In that case they can never make any money. Because whatever they do, they'll have people say they only got it because of their titles and therefor are making money of them.

Did William only got his job at the air ambulance because who he is? Or princesses Beatrice and Eugenie? Their husbands? Whatever they do from their weddings on will only be because of the BRF.
This is an interesting debate. How do other royal families do this? Maybe we should have a thread on royal ethics?

I wonder if there's a British/non British difference here?
  #2076  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:19 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Even so, they're making deals because of who they are and not because of a role they have in the monarchy of the UK or the "Firm'. They can never change who they are and who they were born to and that just happens to give them a modicum of "fame" to start and build with. They can't erase what has gone before.

So, actually, they're making their own money based on themselves and the fame (or disfame if there's such a word) and not because of their "connections" to titles and the institution of the UK monarchy. They are who they are and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Let's face it. In this world today, *any* edge that will help promote and advance a person, they're going to take advantage of it. It's a dog eat dog world out there. Very competitive.
That's indeed what happens and what I think is what completely goes against the queen's values and is wrong to the core: the institution of the royal family (and their titles (which they use!) and fame - which was partly by accident of birth (by Harry) and by choice (for Meghan) because of their choices in the royal family without the commitment needed) should NOT be used in that way. Royalty is about serving the people not about serving oneself.

But I guess, I've explained multiple times that them building a celebrity life based on their connection to the royal family (and little else!) is what should never have happened (but was hard to avoid once they decided to go this route). Of course, now they have to continue to stay relevant (and it seems Meghan is rather good at cold calling and inserting herself as 'Duchess of Sussex' in all kinds of ways) but it is clearly not about their previous espoused ideals as they could have easily stayed within the Firm had that been the case... as they themselves indicated: 'professional income' is what it was all about. They felt they should profit from being their wonderful and important selves piloted by the fame of the BRF. [sorry, getting cynical]
  #2077  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:22 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elenath View Post
In that case they can never make any money. Because whatever they do, they'll have people say they only got it because of their titles and therefor are making money of them.

Did William only got his job at the air ambulance because who he is? Or princesses Beatrice and Eugenie? Their husbands? Whatever they do from their weddings on will only be because of the BRF.
NOPE! The difference is clear as day: there is a huge difference between building your life FULLY based on your fame and royal connection that you stress each time you use your title; versus doing a 'normal' job (Harry might be able to pick up being an helicopter pilot again with some additional training - and yes, he would benefit from being 'prince Harry' but they wouldn't entrust a helicopter to him just because of his name) and having some limited advantage because of who you know in life. That's something that non-royals also experience.
  #2078  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
That's indeed what happens and what I think is what completely goes against the queen's values and is wrong to the core: the institution of the royal family (and their titles (which they use!) and fame - which was partly by accident of birth (by Harry) and by choice (for Meghan) because of their choices in the royal family without the commitment needed) should NOT be used in that way. Royalty is about serving the people not about serving oneself.

But I guess, I've explained multiple times that them building a celebrity life based on their connection to the royal family (and little else!) is what should never have happened (but was hard to avoid once they decided to go this route). Of course, now they have to continue to stay relevant (and it seems Meghan is rather good at cold calling and inserting herself as 'Duchess of Sussex' in all kinds of ways) but it is clearly not about their previous espoused ideals as they could have easily stayed within the Firm had that been the case... as they themselves indicated: 'professional income' is what it was all about. They felt they should profit from being their wonderful and important selves piloted by the fame of the BRF. [sorry, getting cynical]
Excellent post. Pretty much nails it for a lot of us.
  #2079  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:44 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: LONDON, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,074
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-parody.html

Money, their obsession!
  #2080  
Old 12-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,638
There's also the rather more patrician Daily Telegraph for those who prefer the posh media :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/li...dcast-trailer/
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Duke & Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 2: December 2020-March 2021 JessRulz Current Events Archive 874 03-07-2021 08:05 PM




Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asian birth britain britannia british british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china chinese colorblindness commonwealth countries coronation customs daisy doge of venice dresses duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style gemstones genetics george vi harry and meghan henry viii highgrove history house of windsor japan history jewellery king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein line of succession list of rulers medical monarchist movements monarchy mongolia mountbatten names nara period plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen louise queen victoria solomon j solomon st edward sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states wales welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×