The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
She said “ a meal is like a hug”??? Lol Reminds me of some other overly poetic language Harry used recently. I really don’t go for overly saccharine, flowery language personally. It’s distracting. And eye- roll worthy.
Not quite, it was much more flowery than that; quote:
'And in moments of crisis, the warmth of a meal can feel as comforting as a much needed hug.'

Old 12-14-2020, 04:39 PM
Courtier

Cup a Soup has the slogan "it's like a hug in a mug" which is what I thought of when I heard her say that.

There are members of the royal family that have used there titles inappropriately and they have been slapped down by HM and the press (Peter Phillips) and ended the endorsement. The reason that many of them don't get as much press for it is that they don't get as much press for anything good or bad as William, Harry and their wives do. Whilst many benefit from their connections they also aren't showing up on news programs or writing articles based on their titles either.

I think ML is a good comparison. Both have complained about the restraints of royal life and how they long to be free to do their own thing but it's incredibly clear that they want the title and perks to make money and be seen as a cut above the average person who has to make their own way outside of a family business. The title = the fairy dust even for republics.

There's also a difference between representing something greater than yourself or working on behalf of a charity (Together/Smart Works) and launching a two pronged strategy trying to show off your philanthropic side as a "royal" talking about feeding the poor whilst simultaneously your multi billionaire friend coos about the amazing gift you gave her that can be purchased right here, which you have a financial stake in.

There do seem to be more fans in the US audience but how that translates into people wanting to buy their stuff or actually participate in other things is difficult to say. I personally think that saying all Americans love her is as wrong as saying all British people hate her now. Most people don't care very much one way or the other.

And whilst they clearly weren't happy in The Firm their own original statement said they wanted to pursue financial independence which they weren't allowed to do as working royals and they ideally wanted a half in, half out agreement so it wasn't entirely a case of "escape toxic situation".

Old 12-14-2020, 04:44 PM
Courtier

I'd rather they not involve Oprah in their plans. I can't stand Oprah [...]
Old 12-14-2020, 05:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingdoors View Post
Can I point out about her doing a segment about people needing to use a charity to feed themselves in the middle of a global pandemic, and only a day later she gifts a food item to a woman who, I think, is richer than the Queen? and than we find out she invested in the company.

I don't know, it just doesn't sit right with me. It feels.. almost hypocritical to me.
I am with you on this one, it just didn't sit right.
I do not have a problem with her investing in a business, but on one hand she is talking about feeding the poor and needy then it is this big hamper to one of the richest women in the world.
I know it was done for maximum publicity and I understand that, I just found it uncomfortable.

There is nothing appearing to be genuine in what they do it is all for publicity, a marketing ploy.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I have to agree that the back to back instances of a philanthropic message on one hand followed up by what is clearly a "plug" for something Meghan's invested in is what makes me wonder "what's in it for her". It taints even the most altruistic intentions. Makes me not even care to know just what "product" Meghan has invested in.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:54 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
I totally agree with you about the media being any kind of barometer on her popularity. The media likes to think they speak for us. They don’t. I read way too many articles that explain what “we” think. As if “we” all agree.

I think she’s likely more popular here than the UK, but I also don’t think that’s saying much either.
To be honest, the media barely covers Harry and Meghan - it’s 99% entertainment media that does, like People. If there’s a Royal program on tv, the TV reporters will cover it, but that’s about it. There’s no reason to cover anyone in the BRF here as we don’t have a monarchy or a Royal family. When the media does review Royal specials, I do think it’s through the lens of “We got rid of the monarchy for a reason”, and these “journalists” tend to be anti- monarchy, so they (a la the Crown) will tend to assume the worst).

Even if M is more popular here, its among a tiny minority considering the population in this country, whereas she is quite unpopular in the UK as a fairly sizable majority in a much smaller population. That is to say, essentially, while M might appear to be popular in comparison to the UK, if we ignore the UK as a point of comparison, she’s not over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I am with you on this one, it just didn't sit right.
I do not have a problem with her investing in a business, but on one hand she is talking about feeding the poor and needy then it is this big hamper to one of the richest women in the world.
I know it was done for maximum publicity and I understand that, I just found it uncomfortable.

There is nothing appearing to be genuine in what they do it is all for publicity, a marketing ploy.
I said earlier that my problem was not with her investing in the product, but in gifting Oprah same so she could still. I hadn’t considered this at all - I do find it disturbing.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I have to agree that the back to back instances of a philanthropic message on one hand followed up by what is clearly a "plug" for something Meghan's invested in is what makes me wonder "what's in it for her". It taints even the most altruistic intentions. Makes me not even care to know just what "product" Meghan has invested in.
This investment may not even be a completely new endeavour of Meghan's. According to the article below she was looking to invest in small female-led entrepreneurial schemes because they don't get very much start-up investment in the first place. Meghan contacted Ms Mendoza after tasting her oat milk product in the summer when she'd been given it as a gift.

We don't know how much Meghan has invested, might be only a couple of thousand, but the boss (who has six employees) is clearly grateful, as she issued a statement saying so.

I doubt that Meghan thought 'Gee, I'm going to get wealthy and loads of publicity by getting into the oatmeal milk market here!' She is clearly sympathetic to small female led businesses who use natural products and are struggling in this climate and so decided to give a helping hand by investing in this one. The publicity via Oprah will hopefully help this woman's business and her workers.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...-lattes-oprah/
Old 12-14-2020, 06:30 PM
Heir Apparent

It is also a local brand. Based right in their city Santa Barbara. She is supporting a small brand which is founded by women. Right up her alley.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Aristocracy

H and M are trying to make their way in a very challenging world. Of course Meghan's people likely called to offer their client to the awards broadcast--that's the way celebrities work. Oat milk? I can't stand it--but if it's a local female entrepreneur I can see why Meghan wants to help out. It suits her own brand.

The bottom line for me, however, is that I personally dislike the PR games that the Sussexes play. Many would suggest that the Cambridges play the same games. Where the Cambridges seem to have developed a real committment to "royal" work in the interests of the people of the UK, however, the Sussexes are struggling to find a similar framework for their own philanthropic interests. The Sussexes end up being accused of having all kinds of selfish motives, in part because they make so many missteps. Perhaps they will in time develop a more effective strategy, and they won't need the games.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:02 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I think you may be under this impression because her "fans" are so vocal, but really, I think just as many Americans (if not more) think badly of her, for reasons we've already discussed many times in these threads. I would not, by any means, look to the American media to judge how she is viewed here. Overall, honestly, in a country of over 300 million people, very few care about Meghan......or Harry........or the BRF, and that's before the pandemic. Now? Forget it.
Yes and no. Yes I think that relatively few Americans take an interest in the RF or in the 2 of them paritcularly. But of those who do, I think they are more likely to favour them and to feel that if H and Meg ended up leaving royal life and striking out on their own, they are in the right, more attractive and interesting than the regular RF etc.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Yes and no. Yes I think that relatively few Americans take an interest in the RF or in the 2 of them paritcularly. But of those who do, I think they are more likely to favour them and to feel that if H and Meg ended up leaving royal life and striking out on their own, they are in the right, more attractive and interesting than the regular RF etc.
I’m sorry to be so blunt, but I don’t think you understand Americans much. You are severely underestimating the number of Americans who, if asked, would think Harry and Meghan are spoiled and entitled brats. Obviously, I think those Americans who are interested in them would side with and support them, but that’s not the issue. Neither is the issue that, of Americans who do follow the BRF, most support the Sussexes. For one thing, I don’t think it’s true, but the point is that we are speaking of Americans as a whole, period. As a whole, Americans do not care about or favor H and M.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:34 AM
Courtier

I think it depends. Meghan in particular has a devout fan club who get offended even when you don't say anything negative about her. [.....] On the other hand lots of Americans like the royal family and don't like Meghan and Harry because they abandoned them when they were needed.
Old 12-15-2020, 08:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
I think it depends. Meghan in particular has a devout fan club who get offended even when you don't say anything negative about her. On the other hand lots of Americans like the royal family and don't like Meghan and Harry because they abandoned them when they were needed.
Of course it depends. The USA is a vast place. YOu can't really generalise about such a huge population with a lot of different cultures within its borders.
But I think that of the people who DO take an interest (A minority) they seem to be more likely to think well of Harry and Meghan.. just as a lot of Americans who follow royalty prefer Diana to Charles and the BRF as a whole. They see H and Meg breaking out of what they think of as a "toxic" environment which stifled them and told them what to do.. and prevented them from making money as they wanted and leading their own lives. H and Meg did what Diana could/did not do... and moved ot the US to lead their own lives...
Of course some Americans who do follow the RF will be critical of them, see them as spoiled or silly. I think a lot of Americans who followed the story were taken aback about their using their visit to a military cemetery to garner them some notice.. so obviously not all Americans will like them.. but having said that it seems that the media there are quite favourable to them.. such as Gloria Steinem interviewing Meg and welcoming her back to the US..
Old 12-15-2020, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
I’m sorry to be so blunt, but I don’t think you understand Americans much. You are severely underestimating the number of Americans who, if asked, would think Harry and Meghan are spoiled and entitled brats. Obviously, I think those Americans who are interested in them would side with and support them, but that’s not the issue. Neither is the issue that, of Americans who do follow the BRF, most support the Sussexes. For one thing, I don’t think it’s true, but the point is that we are speaking of Americans as a whole, period. As a whole, Americans do not care about or favor H and M.
Americans are fascinated by the royals but overall we don't really care of them outside of the fun celebrations of babies, weddings, and some glitzy events. Yes interest grew with Meghan due to her being one of our own, but overall most still don't care. Heck I will say that about majority in the UK as well.

[.....]
Old 12-15-2020, 09:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Americans are fascinated by the royals but overall we don't really care of them outside of the fun celebrations of babies, weddings, and some glitzy events. Yes interest grew with Meghan due to her being one of our own, but overall most still don't care. Heck I will say that about majority in the UK as well.

[.....]
Yes the majority of UK people dont take that much interst in the RF.. but they are generally favourable to the idea of the monarchy and there's no serious move to get rid of it. Obviously the majority of Americans dont care one way or the other about the RF or Harry and Meg, why should they? But of the small set of people who do follow them, IMO they tend to favour them more than UK people do...Since they've left the UK they're still getting a lot of critiicsm from the press and I'd say that people got increasingly ciritcal of them since they left
Old 12-15-2020, 11:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
It all depends I don't think (as an American) they are bad people, I wish them well and I hope they succeed. Whatever issues that caused them to leave I doubt will ever be truly known. I hope they have a happy life.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry and Meghan land a multi-year deal with Spotify.

"Today, we’re excited to announce a new multi-year partnership with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s new production company, Archewell Audio. Read more about the heartwarming stories they plan to tell."

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2020-12...-will-inspire/

Here is a teaser of their channel with Harry and Meghan giving a message.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2Rf...RQ-5eavkuZDN0Q
Old 12-15-2020, 11:35 AM
Serene Highness

I see the the Spotify deal has been announced this side of the new Year . It hasn't been confirmed by Omid, but we expect it soon.

It should be noted that Spotify have a very curious contract that they uphold - basically if you do anything we dont agree with they will pull the carpet out from under you. So they have been warned. It would be ironic if Meghan and Harry became victims of the culture they are so deeply investing in.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:01 PM
Nobility

Harry's cousin Peter Phillips was doing commercials for China. Eugenie and Bea have outside business work. So does it depend on if they also have royal duties or not that it would be an issue?
Old 12-15-2020, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

It really depends on how deeply it conflicts with the guidelines setup by the palace.
If the royal family member has to physically appear in the media promoting it - ie. Peter Philips and Duchess of York it is in conflict with the guidelines.
If it is a money been made in the background, and very little people are aware of the royals involvement then it will pass.
However that been said H& M made it very clear from day one that they had no interest in following those guidelines. I do feel for the younger royals that are going about their lives in England and are rarely doing their utmost to stick to these rules, when M&H are bluntly doing whatever they want. There is really nothing stopping Beatrice, Eugenie , Zara, Peter and eventually Louise and James from doing the same now. It is a fast and easy way to make money.

Closed Thread