The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 7: May-July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear. Couldn't HRH have been spared this?

BeatrixFan said:
Oh dear. Couldn't HRH have been spared this?

Ha ha. Good point!

I'm surprised one hasn't been created already?

I´m sorry, why it is so bad to be at Madame Tussaud´s? :neutral:

I think it's great Camilla has got her place at Madame Tussaud's.
Right after their marriage, a spokesmn for Madame Tussaud's said she is not yet popular enough to get her place there.
Apparentely she is now! :)

Madame Tussaud's s wonderful if you've got glaucoma and can't actually see the waxworks. They famously look nothing like the people they're supposed to be. The Queen's waxwork looks like Ronnie Barker in drag. Let's hope they make a good job on Camilla's. It's a positive thing that she's got her place in the museum and I'm glad she has but this could be another horrible candle effigy.

What excellent news! I found annoyed when some reporters made fun of the duchess by saying that she is not popular enough to have her waxwork in Madame Tussaud's.We will have a look at the new waxwork later but I wondering in which clothes she will wear. I wish the color match with the Prince's suits.

I imagine they'll put her in evening dress because the other Royals are. So I imagine it'll be based on the Norwegian State Banquet outfit complete with Delhi Durbar tiara.

Some more pictures of the Duchess:

The Duchess of Cornwall talks with Elena Shamgunova, whose son Amir died aged 20 months ---> Picture

The Duchess of Cornwall talks with little Aisloin Briggs, patient at the centre ---> Picture

The Duchess of Cornwall applauds as Christopher Horth, a patient of the centre, plays billiard ---> Picture

The Duchess of Cornwall with Christopher Horth, a patient at the centre ---> Picture

And another picture of the Duchess of Cornwall drawn by the Royal School Year 3 pupil Shelly Razzaghi ---> Picture (I have to say, I prefer the real-life Duchess :D)

Gallery of Pictures from Abaca

We love the Duchess. Indeed we do.

Here (Abaca, Avalon's last post) that profile could as easily be her son tom's. Genetics are a mind-blowing matter sometimes.
Avalon, the third pic you posted makes the choice (for the poll) so much harder! Isn't that wonderful? If you don't choose it, I might, but I don't know, eleven pics (and your 20) oiy vei! :D

One thing has come to me about Camilla using the Duchess of Cornwall title instead of Princess of Wales.

When something is named after her, using the title she uses, there will be no confusion in the future about whom it was named after.

Often people see 'Princess of Wales....' and automatically assume Diana these days but can we always be sure considering the ladies who have held that title over the years?

Chrissy, I have thought about the title issue a lot as well, and now I am coming to believe sincerely that Camilla has made the right choice, she was totally wise, I think, to go by Cornwall instead of Wales. This is what made me come to this decision: I feel that by going by Cornwall, she is disassociating from the "Diana" thing, and far from wanting to be anti-Diana, -- in fact I think Camilla is very evolved in her capacity for forgiveness and understanding -- I think that by going by Duchess rather than Princess, she is saying, "Hey, I am a different person. Diana was Diana. Camilla is Camilla. "I am me and I want to be who I am, and I don't want people saying, oh look there is the 'second Princess of Wales', compare her to the first (of their/our lifetime)." So I agree with you!
There is Diana, Princess of Wales, and now we have HRH Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall. Amazing isn't it? That Prince Charles loved two women in his life, but two women who could not be more different?! And yet there are similarities, I suppose, but how great are the differences!

Chrissy, I have thought about the title issue a lot as well, and now I am coming to believe sincerely that Camilla has made the right choice, she was totally wise, I think, to go by Cornwall instead of Wales. This is what made me come to this decision: I feel that by going by Cornwall, she is disassociating from the "Diana" thing, and far from wanting to be anti-Diana, -- in fact I think Camilla is very evolved in her capacity for forgiveness and understanding -- I think that by going by Duchess rather than Princess, she is saying, "Hey, I am a different person. Diana was Diana. Camilla is Camilla. "I am me and I want to be who I am, and I don't want people saying, oh look there is the 'second Princess of Wales', compare her to the first (of their/our lifetime)." So I agree with you!
There is Diana, Princess of Wales, and now we have HRH Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall. Amazing isn't it? That Prince Charles loved two women in his life, but two women who could not be more different?! And yet there are similarities, I suppose, but how great are the differences!
What makes you think the title choice was Camilla's? I'm sure that when the question of marriage came up the title issue was discussed with QE. I think the Queen may have made this a stipulation of her consent as there was a lack of enthusiasm at the time among her subjects for the marriage (IIRC 38% approval then). There might have been an uprising if they had announced yes they're getting married, she to be the new Ps of Wales and will be Queen. I dont think it was a matter of differentiating. JMO.

What makes you think the title choice was Camilla's? I'm sure that when the question of marriage came up the title issue was discussed with QE. I think the Queen may have made this a stipulation of her consent as there was a lack of enthusiasm at the time among her subjects for the marriage (IIRC 38% approval then). There might have been an uprising
I don't think it was anything to do with HM, more likely it was advisors, with the agreement of Charles and Camilla. I honestly don't think the country would have 'risen up'. :lol:

scooter said:
...There might have been an uprising if they had announced... she to be the new Ps of Wales and will be Queen.
I can remember when people were worried that the Monarchy would fade into irrelevance through public apathy. :D

The relevance or not of the monarchy and public apathy remainissues of concern. I have no doubt the Duchess of Cornwall and Princess consort titles were discussed at length within Clarence House and Buckingham Palace before bring announced - in reality, I doubt if Camilla had much of a say in the matter

I think we can surmise that Charles and Camilla had some say in it. :rolleyes:

The Queen is steeped in tradition, and if Charles and Camilla had really wanted to have the PoW title, then she would have had it. If the Duke of York remarries, will his new wife be forced to use a lesser title? I understand about the public sentiment for Diana, but regardless, Camilla's proper title is PoW if she so chooses to use it. I think that Camilla and Charles came to an agreement about using the Duchess of Cornwall title before they approached the Queen with plans to marry. I'm sure they wanted to sympathetic to the boys, and frankly, I think the two of them just wanted to be married. And, what a fine, royal couple they are. Happy, very complimentary to each other--they are a success story. They look so relaxed with each other.
http://www.state.gov/cms_images/Gallagherstroll.jpg

What makes you think the title choice was Camilla's?

It's a good question, and deserves my most honest opinion. I think maybe Camilla was advised or counciled (probably was indeed, advised and counciled about it) but ultimately the choice was hers to make. She can choose to be called Lady Renfrew or Baroness Renfrew or whatever, if she wants it. All the titles are hers like her name is hers and it's like (this is how I think of it) choosing to be called by your first or middle name, or a nickname. It's just a preference. Being HRH The Princess of Wales in her correspondences and official releases just would remind people too much of a person that should not be confused with Camilla. I think whatever, whomever made the choice (the Queen, or Camilla, or both agreeing or compromising or whatever...) Whomever it was that made the decision to use the Cornwall title and not the Wales title for Camilla, this person made a wise decision. It ensures that Camilla is known for being Camilla, and that Diana is rememberd for being Diana, and the two are not confused or thrown together like "Pow 1" and "Pow 2". ;)

Much better said than my bumbling response! Well done CasiraghiTrio!

Or more correctly "POW 9" and "POW 10" (see here)
Very true! But I said 1 and 2 because the only PoW who could in the collective public memory be confused with Camilla is Diana. Even the Queen or Philip was not alive to know of a Princess of Wales before Diana because the last before her was Mary who became Queen Consort well before they were born! A very small number would be alive today who could "confuse" their memories of Princesses of Wales with Camilla or Diana.
But more to the point, I think it best to have Camilla known by the Cornwall title. She has so much to offer the monarchy quite apart from just being the second wife of Prince Charles. It will be interesting to see how much more to takes on. I think when she married Prince Charles, she set out the goal of doing a very minimal amount of engagements, and she has surprised herself by how much more she is doing than what she meant in the beginning! It is fascinating to watch her outlook change as she immerses herself in the role.
Not unlike Diana before her, Camilla is finding (I think) interests she never expected she woud have, and she is surprising herself by how much she can handle! She is much stronger and capable than even she (with all her security, and I believe she is a very secure, whole person) did not imagine. It's fascinating.

Jack Russell fan Camilla catches up with hat maker Philip's pooch

When the Duchess of Cornwall attended an exhibition of photographs by Norman Parkinson and drawings by star milliner Philip Treacy, it wasn't the human talent on display that caught her attention but a four-legged friend. Camilla was delighted to find that Philip, who created the hat for her wedding to Prince Charles, had brought along one of his two Jack Russells.
After the high-society hat maker's beloved right-hand dog of 12 years, Mr Pig, died in 2004 it was Camilla - an experienced Jack Russell breeder - who offered to come up with a replacement. The Duchess had been one of Mr Pig's celebrity fans, and even sent the dog a Christmas card. Philip in the end found two puppies himself, named Archie and Harold, who Camilla has no doubt got to know as well.

Laura Lopes was there as well (she manages the gallery).

Pictures:
Camilla, Laura & Philip Treacy
Camilla, Laura, Philip Treacy & Philip's Jack Russell
Camilla chats with Apocalypse Now actor Dennis Hopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom