The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 12: July 2008-December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
UKDuchessofCornwallsmaller.jpg

Arms of HRH The Duchess of Cornwall

Welcome to part 12 of the Duchess of Cornwall current events thread
commencing July 2008

Part 11, February to July 2008, can be found here

~ ¤ ~

:previous:
Thank you for that milla Ca, I should think Camilla will really enjoy this event, but would rather be riding the horses! :D

I think you´re right Skydragon, but she has to abstain only because the horses are currently in quarantine.:D

She said: "I wish everybody the best of British. So sit tight, and show the world that the British are best and come back with lots of medals."

The Press Association: Riders get Camilla's best wishes

Last edited:
No offence to Joan, because I'm sure she really believes that, but I think that comment is a bit offensive to the Queen Mum's memory.

The Queen Mum lived through experiences that Camilla never will.

She had to step up and become queen when her brother-in-law abdicated. I don't think she ever thought that was going to happen. There's no way she was prepared to be Queen of England. It changed her life completely, but she did it with grace and without complaint.

She remained in London when it was bombed repeatedly in the blitz during WW2. Buckingham Palace was even bombed and she didn't flee. She put on her nicest dress and hat and bravely walked through the rubble (there are many iconic pictures of this).

She had to deal with the crisis of her second daughter wanting to marry a divorced man (scandalous in those days!). She had to steer her back on the 'right' path. She also had to see her daughter pass away before her many years later.

She continued to do public duties well into her 90s! And always with a smile on her face. Retirement was not a word in her vocabulary.

I don't think Camilla will be remembered the same way. Partially, it's just due to time. Camilla isn't going to be a royal for 80 years like like the Queen Mum was. She won't have as much time to 'win over' the people with all her deeds. But Camilla hasn't been challenged with anything of note and just releases mealy-mouthed statements like "I'm just here to support my husband." She just comes off as very plain and boring, just sort of standing two steps behing Charles, following whatever his lead is. She may not of chosen to become royal, obviously it came with the marriage, but if she wants to be remembered in the same breath as the Queen Mum, she needs to seriously pick it up and be perceived as someone to be admired, who really brought a nation together in very trying times or else Joan's comments are going to sound pretty ridiculous 20 years from now.

And i only want to mention that in the article i posted earlier today there is no word that Joan Rivers compared the life of the Queen Mother with Camilla´s.
She only has the opionion that the people will love the two ladies the some way. It´s a different thing!

If someone write here statements of what Camilla said about her role i would be interested to know the source.

I doubt that writing here insults about Camilla is the right way to criticize the article or Joan Rivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one do not understand how and when Joan Rivers became an authority on British Royalty.
It is true the Queen Mum was a nice lady and she supported her husband who was not too happy or prepared to take over the throne. She lived a long life with a lot of ups and downs and in my view, she very bravely navigated the sometimes troubled waters of the royal life. (Personally and professionally)
However, to dismiss Camilla as someone who "only supports her husband" is short sighted. After the fiasco that was Charles & Diana's marriage, the last thing Charles or the Royal family needs is a strong willed woman with her own agenda. (JMHO)

Last edited by a moderator:
She remained in London when it was bombed repeatedly in the blitz during WW2. Buckingham Palace was even bombed and she didn't flee. She put on her nicest dress and hat and bravely walked through the rubble (there are many iconic pictures of this).
And whilst her subjects had very little to eat and what they could get was rationed, TQM, ate very well and had a very secure, well furnished Air Raid Shelter to hide in.
She had to deal with the crisis of her second daughter wanting to marry a divorced man (scandalous in those days!). She had to steer her back on the 'right' path. She also had to see her daughter pass away before her many years later.
She didn't have Margaret to deal with, HM did and to suggest Margaret was steered back to the right path, when the woman was bullied into giving up her lover, is perhaps too kind.
But Camilla hasn't been challenged with anything of note and just releases mealy-mouthed statements like "I'm just here to support my husband." She just comes off as very plain and boring, just sort of standing two steps behing Charles, following whatever his lead is. SNIPPED
I don't recall any statement coming form Camilla but if you could give us an idea where you saw this, I would be really grateful. :flowers: The QM was challenged with very little in reality, she led a priviliged lifestyle, before and after her marriage, even during the war, she never wanted for anything, she always had the best available to her.

As milla Ca has pointed out, Joan has only said 'Camilla gets a bad press, but in 20 years' time they will love her the way they loved the Queen Mum'.

Joan Rivers was at C and C's wedding, and she has been to other royal events.

Posts on the subject of "If Diana was alive..." and "When Diana was alive..." have been removed because they have no relevance to the Duchess of Cornwall current events, which is the topic of this thread.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Pics from Mediumphoto
The Duchess of Cornwall meets members and young riders at the Ebony Horse Club in Brixton London, 11 September 2008.
MediumPhoto

Hi, can somebody tell me something about Sophie Densham, Private Secretary of Camilla? Thank you!:flowers:
(So far, i always saw the the Duchess joined by Amanda ... at official engagements ( can´t remember the surname))

A pic of Sophie Densham published today by getty:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Hi, can somebody tell me something about Sophie Densham, Private Secretary of Camilla? Thank you!:flowers:
(So far, i always saw the the Duchess joined by Amanda ... at official engagements ( can´t remember the surname))

A pic of Sophie Densham published today by getty:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

There used to be a very useful list of all of the Prince's and Camilla's staff in an appendix to the Prince of Wales's financial Annual Report, but I noticed tis summer that when I tried to download it from the Clarence House website there was no longer such a list.

Brixton

A worthwhile cause. I hope Camilla's presence helps them raise the funds. The problems of the inner city are the same around the world. :ermm:Once again Camilla looks at ease with a diversity of people. She looks relaxed.

There used to be a very useful list of all of the Prince's and Camilla's staff in an appendix to the Prince of Wales's financial Annual Report, but I noticed tis summer that when I tried to download it from the Clarence House website there was no longer such a list.

I found such a list but it is in Welsh... But I think Milla Ca refered to Amanda MacManus - she shared the same text with this Sophie Densham, but in addition she has "pairt-thide" behind it, so I guess Sophie Densham is the lady-in-waiting but shares the job with Ms. MacManus who only works part-time.

here's the link: http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/content/documents/Annual%20Review%202008%20(Gaidhlig)%20-%20Income,%20Expenditure%20and%20Staff.pdf

Interesting what I found about Ms. MacManus at: http://www.time.com/time/daily/special/diana/lesson_loss2.html (from Time Magzine, pre-wedding):

"Nor has she (Camilla, then still Mrs. Parker Bowles) ever been anything but discreet. After news of her private June 12 meeting with Prince William at St. James's Palace appeared in newspapers last month, Parker Bowles was quick to accept the resignation of part-time aide Amanda MacManus, who confessed to inadvertently leaking the story in pillow talk with her husband, a Times newspaper executive. (He then mentioned it to a pal in New Zealand, who in turn passed it on to his tennis partner, The Sun's chief reporter, John Kay.) "

Seems she welcomed Ms. MacManus back into the fold - nice gesture, this.

Last edited:
I found such a list but it is in Welsh... But I think Milla Ca refered to Amanda MacManus - she shared the same text with this Sophie Densham, but in addition she has "pairt-thide" behind it, so I guess Sophie Densham is the lady-in-waiting but shares the job with Ms. MacManus who only works part-time.

Thank you Jo :flowers:, yes i´m talking about Amanda MacManus. She´s the one i often saw near Camilla at official engagements. But i asked about Sophie Densham because you can actually see her at events attended by Charles and Camilla. So maybe she could get a postion like Elizabeth Buchanan, who will leave Clarence House in December?

Thank you Jo :flowers:, yes i´m talking about Amanda MacManus. She´s the one i often saw near Camilla at official engagements. But i asked about Sophie Densham because you can actually see her at events attended by Charles and Camilla. So maybe she could get a postion like Elizabeth Buchanan, who will leave Clarence House in December?

I found this source from 2007 which includes a lady called Katy Golding which is not longer featured in the 2008 Gaelic version, so I guess Sophie Densham took over Ms. Golding's position this year.

http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/content/documents/8407_HRH_AR_2007_chap_5.pdf

And on googling around I found this charity site which is about a team called "Charlie's Angels" from "Clarence House". Now isn't that sweet? :flowers:
http://www.justgiving.com/chca

I agree Jo, ´Charlie´s Angels´sounds really sweet...:wub: ( and they are doinig good things with their charity, i know the member Claudia Holloway, i received a letter from Clarence House signed by her )

<strong>Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall named as Honorary Air Commodore at RAF Halton</strong> - Aylesbury Today

The Press Association: Camilla backs meals on wheels

He described the Duchess as "very nice", and said they discussed a number of issues as well as sharing a glass of whisky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom