The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: February 2015-January 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s great to know that HRH is back. It felt like an eternity. Missed her dearly.

It’s great to know that HRH is back. It felt like an eternity. Missed her dearly.

It was about 6 months so quite a long time. Not sure how it compares to other royal ladies.

4 months I think...she didn't go on leave till April as I recall.

LaRae

She went on leave mid to late April, so it’s more like 4 1/2-5 months. But, in there you have August and September, which are typically slow months. There was no point in her going back earlier.

It's great that she'll back to her royal duties. I'm sure people missed her

Prince Louis turned 5 months on Sunday, so I guess that was the plan they had. And since William is abroad this week, she’ll be back when he comes home.
I think we saw her 10 times in these 5 months, so it doesn’t seem that long.
I hope we get a photo of Louis soon, we usually do around 5-6 months.

From what William has said in Nambia, it seems like uninterrupted sleep at night is still isn't something that's the way of things at home and it seem that William is even doing "daddy duty" during those times too.

I think for a while, it will be that when Kate isn't home, William will be and vice versa. I know they have Maria but these are two parents that want to be hands on with their children from the very beginning. At least that's how I see it anyways. :D

She went on leave mid to late April, so it’s more like 4 1/2-5 months. But, in there you have August and September, which are typically slow months. There was no point in her going back earlier.

Not sure how you are counting. Her final official engagement was on March 21 according to the Court Circular. She is returning October 2, so that's 6 months and 12 days later.

There was indeed no point in going back in July or August but September would have been when I expected her to return. For example, opening a children's hospice on September 18 would have been a perfect engagement for her (because she was still on leave William took over) and who knows what other requests she received that she turned down?!

However, I understand that customs differ regarding returning back to work, some countries have hardly any maternity leave others have over a year. That's why I wondered about other royal moms. Nonetheless, I am sure Catherine enjoyed these 5+ months of being at home with prince Louis and also having more time for her elder children. A luxury compared to young mothers in my home country who would normally be back about 3 months after giving birth (16 weeks in total: 4-6 weeks of maternity leave before due date and 10-12 afterwards) unless something went terribly wrong (and that's even generous compared to some other countries).

For many mom's in the US 6 months leave would be a blessing!

I believe Sophie was on leave after James for 10 months, so 6 months is not out of the world long. Kate is entitled to up to 11.5 months of leave as a British mum.

I don't understand people saying they missed her lol. She was at plenty of public events during those 6 months.

Last edited:
Why are you making an issue out of Catherine’s maternity now that’s she’s back to public engagements? Maternity leave in the U.K. is 52 weeks. It’s not a ‘custom’ but the law. Returning before 52 weeks is returning early.

Sophie Wessex took 10 months with one of her children, which she’s absolutely entitled to take.

Why are you making an issue out of Catherine’s maternity now that’s she’s back to public engagements? Maternity leave in the U.K. is 52 weeks. It’s not a ‘custom’ but the law. Returning before 52 weeks is returning early.

Sophie Wessex took 10 months with one of her children, which she’s absolutely entitled to take.

This is a discussion board, so it's only logical that we discuss things :flowers:
Moreover, it is much more logical to discuss the length of her maternity leave when she is about to return and we therefore know how long it was (a little over 6 months) than if we had done so in July when we had no idea yet or if we would do that in 8 years when there is no obvious reason to discuss it.

She did take a longer maternity leave with Louis (6 months and 12 days) than with both Charlotte (5 months and 21 days) and George (4 months and 3 days; not counting her 2 'one off' appearances in August and September).

And of course, Catherine is formally entitled to a longer maternity leave; however, other royals in countries (for example Scandinavia) with long maternity leaves also return relatively soon, so, that seems a normal expectation (being a royal has lots of perks and some disadvantages, and this might be one of them for a British princess. Even though she can still work relatively few hours if she would want to - it's not that she needs to work 1 1/2 jobs just to keep food on the table (as many of my colleagues unfortunately have to do)). In fact, she has no obligation to work at all, so she could just stay home but that wouldn't be wise given that she is married to the future king.

:previous:

“According to ABC news, Duchess Kate's leave will last about six months, but that doesn't mean the public won't still see her from time to time.

While the Duchess will not attend official engagements as a working royal until the fall, she is expected to be seen at other royal events over the summer, some of which will include Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding on May 19, Trooping the Colour on June 9, and the child's christening.”

This is what was reported back in March. So we’re exactly on schedule. No surprises. Twice now you’ve mentioned maternity leave in your own country which has nothing to do with The Duchess of Cambridge.

I’m sorry your friend has to work two jobs or whatever but again that has nothing to do with Catherine or British maternity laws.

Each pregnancy is unique and presents it’s own challenges. Whether she takes 4, 5 or 6 months, that’s up to her.

Sophie needed 10 months with her son James. Every pregnancy is different.

Rudolph...We don't agree most of the time but on this issue...I agree with your opinion 1000%. Catherine is in a very privileged position as are all royal women who can take maternity leave and not have to worry about it.

Comparing royal women or what happens in other countries for maternity leave is a waste of time.

Anyhow...glad she will be back so that the media can focus less on Meghan. She needs a media break!

Last edited:
Rudolph...We don't agree most of the time but on this issue...I agree with your opinion 1000%. Catherine is in a very privileged position as are all royal women who can take maternity leave and not have to worry about it.

Comparing royal women or what happens in other countries for maternity leave is a waste of time.

Anyhow...glad she will be back so that the media can focus less on Meghan. She needs a media break!

:previous:? Thank you for saying this Terri Terri.

In fact, she has no obligation to work at all, so she could just stay home but that wouldn't be wise given that she is married to the future king.

The thing in my opinion is that Catherine's main job in her very unique position is to raise two children (Royal heir and spare - George and Charlotte) in a way that they can and want (!) to spend their whole life in service of their country. We won't get to see how good a job she does at this till much later when we see the results in her children, but ever since the birth of George Catherine has foremost been the mother of a future king. The representation of the monarchy and the supporting of her husband comes second to that. It would be different if Catherine was an old-fashioned Royal consort, who traditionally represented much more than taking a hand in raining the next generation but as it is nowadays, she has spend now years to try and teach a Royal heir and spare how to love others more than themselves, how to develop social skills and a good character. IMHO that is much more important in a system like the one the UK has than doing this and that (and lots behind the scenes) for the public, while her children are raised by a Spanish nanny. IMHO, of course.
Her spending time with her children is much more than having her private fun.

I missed her! But I'm also happy that she took 6 months off on maternity leave to be with her children, family time is so important! Besides, it's not like she'll have engagements everyday from now on, she only has one announced so far, I bet she'll have engagements not so often because she has 3 young kids who need their mom. Besides, she has her own office in Kensington Palace right? So she'll be close to her children all the time, she deserves it.

:previous:

“According to ABC news, Duchess Kate's leave will last about six months, but that doesn't mean the public won't still see her from time to time.

While the Duchess will not attend official engagements as a working royal until the fall, she is expected to be seen at other royal events over the summer, some of which will include Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding on May 19, Trooping the Colour on June 9, and the child's christening.”

This is what was reported back in March. So we’re exactly on schedule. No surprises. Twice now you’ve mentioned maternity leave in your own country which has nothing to do with The Duchess of Cambridge.

I’m sorry your friend has to work two jobs or whatever but again that has nothing to do with Catherine or British maternity laws.

Each pregnancy is unique and presents it’s own challenges. Whether she takes 4, 5 or 6 months, that’s up to her.

Sophie needed 10 months with her son James. Every pregnancy is different.
Apparently, it is hard to accept that people might not just praise Catherine for taking 6 1/2 months off. She is in a unique and extremely privileged position which means that she can decide when to return to work. The announced 6 months would suugest a return in September; it would have worked perfectly with the hospice engagement last week ?

The observation that she is taking a longer leave each time and in doing so taking longer than most other senior royals (including countries with comparable maternity leaves) after giving birth doesn't mean that she is wrong just that she made a different decision. So, the interesting part to me is why she made this decision. Therefore, I really appreciate Kataryn's contribution!

The thing in my opinion is that Catherine's main job in her very unique position is to raise two children (Royal heir and spare - George and Charlotte) in a way that they can and want (!) to spend their whole life in service of their country. We won't get to see how good a job she does at this till much later when we see the results in her children, but ever since the birth of George Catherine has foremost been the mother of a future king. The representation of the monarchy and the supporting of her husband comes second to that. It would be different if Catherine was an old-fashioned Royal consort, who traditionally represented much more than taking a hand in raining the next generation but as it is nowadays, she has spend now years to try and teach a Royal heir and spare how to love others more than themselves, how to develop social skills and a good character. IMHO that is much more important in a system like the one the UK has than doing this and that (and lots behind the scenes) for the public, while her children are raised by a Spanish nanny. IMHO, of course.
Her spending time with her children is much more than having her private fun.

That's a good point, thanks! Nonetheless, that's not limited to being on maternity leave for their third child (who you didn't mention as part of her royal mother duty) - and technically is not what she was on maternity lesve for - but surely influences how many engagements she takes on when 'back at work'. In addition, I would also include Wiiliam as an active contributor in raising his children although he of course is in a different position as the future monarch compared to Catherine who will be the consort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kensington Palace‏Verified account @KensingtonRoyal
The Duchess of Cambridge is visiting @SCTrust Forest School and Wildlife Garden, which gives inner city children a unique opportunity to learn about and engage with the natural world

Emily Andrews‏Verified account @byEmilyAndrews
#Kate #DuchessofCambridge has arrived at London’s Paddington Recreation Ground to see the work of the Sayers Forest School
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DogKPZBWwAA0pvO.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DogKPY4W0AAytVd.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DogKPY7WkAYWAMa.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DogKPY9XUAEIF7d.jpg

Chris Ship‏Verified account @chrisshipitv
For the first time since the birth of Prince Louis, Kate’s back to work. The Duchess of Cambridge finishes maternity leave on a visit to @SCTrust - a charity which gets kids involved in the outdoors, bugs and growing things

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DogJ73BWkAYEryG.jpg

Video: Kate is hugged by reception kids (ages 4&5) from St Augustine’s CoE Primary in Kilburn. So sweet! Kate asks them what their favourite thing about forest school. “Eating!” says one & Kate giggles. #kate #duchessofcambridge

Video:#Kate #DuchessOfCambridge meet kids from St Augustine’s Primary. “Are you going to show me around?” she asks. She laughs as she repeats one little boy’s reply “No boring bits?! No!” “Wow, this is so cool, I can’t wait to see it” before she plants some seeds in Forest Garden

Last edited:
It’s so good to see The Duchess back on official duties and with kids!

Here is extended footage of her engagement today.

This was a perfect event for Catherine to ease back into as she's always fantastic with children. It seems that she and the children both had a great time and I loved the little girl with the cup :lol: Her parents can embarrass her with those photos on her wedding day in the future, haha.

The Duchess of Cambridge this afternoon visited the Sayers Croft Wildlife Garden and Forest School at Paddington Recreation Ground, London W9, and was received by Dr Paul Knapman (Deputy Lieutenant of Greater London)

- Court Circular ll 2 October 2018

She looked so nice and relaxed. Lovely to see the Duchess of Cambridge working again.

Also, when do you guys think she will receive a royal family order? She been in the family for 7 years and there is a chance she still doesn't have it. Why do you think that is? I am a little shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom