The Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 2: February 2012-January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think anyone, no matter how experienced they are, can still become nervous in public. I recall reading that Queen Marie of Roumania, a born royal, used to smell burnt feathers before doing a public engagement because she never got over her nerves.

You're never prepared until you experience the real thing. You can practice and train, be shown the ropes, run through the agenda, know your facts, be warned of anything and everything that can happen, but until you actually go through the experience of being the center of attention at public engagements, you can't anticipate how you'll feel or react. Butterflies in the stomach are a very common occurrence, even for the most experienced pro. If you don't experience any nerves or trepidation, you can be in danger of being too overly confident and that's when things can happen.

I would imagine that like most every child that has grown up in the UK, Kate has always had a deep reverence and respect for her Queen and as such a child, would never have imagined herself at the same level. Dating William, she knew who his beloved Granny was and since the engagement and marriage has had a chance to come to know her perhaps more on a personal basis as a family member. To actually know that she's meeting and greeting the public with someone that's perhaps been a legend in her mind for years has to be overwhelming. HM is the epitome of what a monarch is and quite a tough act to follow and follow HM with grace and style is exactly what Kate did as I see it. This is the year to celebrate and honor HM and both Camilla and Kate added their own brand of specialness to enhance the Queen's visits rather than detract from them.

Yes, that's a double whammy for sure - having the Queen as your granny-in-law and making public appearances with her - and Kate is definitely acquitting herself extremely well. Her demeanor, poise and bearing are really wonderful to see.

I would imagine that like most every child that has grown up in the UK, Kate has always had a deep reverence and respect for her Queen and as such a child, would never have imagined herself at the same level. Dating William, she knew who his beloved Granny was and since the engagement and marriage has had a chance to come to know her perhaps more on a personal basis as a family member. To actually know that she's meeting and greeting the public with someone that's perhaps been a legend in her mind for years has to be overwhelming. HM is the epitome of what a monarch is and quite a tough act to follow and follow HM with grace and style is exactly what Kate did as I see it. This is the year to celebrate and honor HM and both Camilla and Kate added their own brand of specialness to enhance the Queen's visits rather than detract from them.

Yes, that's a double whammy for sure - having the Queen as your granny-in-law and making public appearances with her - and Kate is definitely acquitting herself extremely well. Her demeanor, poise and bearing are really wonderful to see.

Couldn't agree more with both of you. Well said :flowers:.

Catherine seems more at ease and comfortable than most people would be in these sorts of situations. It must be a very odd feeling to go to these awkwardly set up arrangements, trailed by bodyguards and who knows how many press people and have members of the public gawk at you and film you with their cameras as if you were an exotic animal at the zoo.

IMO, none of the current European princesses who married in to various royal families look especially "natural" when they're doing events similar to the ones we've seen Catherine do lately. That's probably because, for nine out of ten people, there's nothing natural or intuitive about what they're being asked to do.

I think anyone, no matter how experienced they are, can still become nervous in public. I recall reading that Queen Marie of Roumania, a born royal, used to smell burnt feathers before doing a public engagement because she never got over her nerves.

What? :ermm: Burnt feathers? :sad: How does smelling burnt feathers help with nerves?

They act like smelling salts or vinegar in the sense that they'd revive you and maybe clear the head.

Now I'm wondering what burnt feathers smells like. Where is all this speculation about Kate's level of comfortability when doing engagements coming from? Hasn't she been performing her duties well?

Now I'm wondering what burnt feathers smells like.

Well, yeah. :neutral: And does the smell differ with different kinds of feathers? Goose feathers versus Dove feathers, for example. Gets the mind whirring.....:argh:

I guess you can always experiment with different feathers and see what the delicate aromas are like!

Last edited:
There's a difference between knowing an experience is coming and then going through it. It's a bit like stage fright. As much as a person wants to be on stage and loves performing, s/he can still be very nervous about it.

Yes, and there is a difference in being nervous and showing that you're nervous. For example, Adele (who BTW IMO has much more attention on her than Catherine does being the biggest musical star at the moment) said in an interview in April of last year that she gets so nervous that she once tried to "escape" a venue. However, once she is on stage, there is no evidence of that. You wouldn't know of her stage fright or nervousness if you went by her appearances.

My point is, there is nothing wrong with Catherine being nervous, but she should work on lessening the fact that I and others can tell that she is nervous. Also, Princess Anne and other royals have spoken of being nervous the first few times doing royal engagements, but again, you wouldn't know it just by looking at them at those engagements. Perception is everything -- I'm much more likely to buy something from a salesman who is nervous but appears confident than one who is nervous all around...

I'm okay with no one else on this board sharing my opinion, so this will be my last post on the topic, but I would just like her to improve a bit before she's called 'the greatest asset to the BRF' ;)

Last edited:
In my opion, if someone does not enjoy nor appreciate seeing Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge appearing at public events, and then writes on this forum that is painful and difficult to watch, do not continue to make yourself uneasy...simply do not watch. I think Catherine radiates happiness, goodwill, grace and empathy. And I applaud her efforts to live her life on her own terms, with the now apparent approval and acceptance of the Royal family. I am not interested in nit-picking about her skirt length. Isn't her smile heart-warming?

:princess3::princess3::princess3::princess3::princess3::princess3::royalguard::royalguard:
I feel Kate the Duchess of Cambridge is fine....yes she is missing her Prince(husband), as would any young wife....but I feel the "Firm" is supporting her in a new way that she is comforted by BRF ( and good on them) and in a couple of weeks she will have William by her side again. She is doing a great job, both fashion wise and as a Royal.... Kate you are amazing!!

Last edited:
Yes, and there is a difference in being nervous and showing that you're nervous. For example, Adele (who BTW IMO has much more attention on her than Catherine does being the biggest musical star at the moment) said in an interview in April of last year that she gets so nervous that she tried to "escape" a venue. However, once she is on stage, there is not evidence of that. You wouldn't know of her stage fright or nervousness if you went by her appearances.

My point is, there is nothing wrong with Catherine being nervous, but she should work on lessening the fact that I and others can tell that she is nervous. Also, Princess Anne and other royals have spoken of being nervous the first few times doing royal engagements, but again, you wouldn't know it just by looking at them at those engagements. Perception is everything -- I'm much more likely to buy something from a salesman who is nervous but appears confident than one who is nervous all around...

I'm okay with no one else on this board sharing my opinion, so this will be my last post on the topic, but I would just like her to improve a bit before she's called 'the greatest asset to the BRF' ;)

Interesting post! I think you raise some good points. Maybe there is a difference between being nervous and being (generally) insecure? What I mean is that Kate seems more insecure to me than nervous. And I agree with someone else who said that she "tries so hard" sometimes. At least that's how it appears to me.

I guess you just have to decide if trying to hard or not trying at all is what you would rather see. It seems that there is always some new criticism of Kate arising and I feel sorry for her if she is ever made aware of it. I recall people being upset and calling her lazy that she wasn't doing her royal duties. Then when she does her duties people nitpick at her skirt length and now if she is showing too much nervousness.

I recall people being upset and calling her lazy that she wasn't doing her royal duties. Then when she does her duties people nitpick at her skirt length and now if she is showing too much nervousness.

Yes, but that's normal, isn't it? She is in a position where she has to make choices: which charity to support,´which engagement to undertake etc. I guess at the moment she receives very much support by the senior Royals and that will help to become more comfortable in the future.

OTOH the media has styled her a successbringer for British fashion and that is quite a difficult thing. So far she is not yet used to commission her own fashion like HM and Camilla do it and Diana did. so she has to make her choices from what she can buy. She obviously does not want to spent like a super-rich woman but like a lady with means who understands the need for some austerity. She needs to look up-to-date (hemlines anyone?) and to have that little something that shows that despite buying clothes a lot of people can afford she still has something of the Royal magic. I personally like how she deals with that and I guess we'll see her own style evolve over the next years.

This is a situation where an average young woman from a middle-class family got vaulted to one of the highest positions in her country and is now the center of world attention. If that's not one of the most daunting and drastic life changes, I don't know what is. Nerves and insecurity would definitely factor in with her public appearances, but at least she's being taught by the best and great care seems to be given to this. This is a whole new level of play, a different lifestyle, and she will eventually become accustomed to it. I'm sure William's absence is taking its toll on her since he's been her guide and close support with the public events, but as she makes more appearances - either with or without William - her comfort zone will increase. I think she's doing an outstanding job, the public seems to love her, and whatever adjustments need to made will be addressed, I'm sure, in the period ahead. And if she does have nerves, it's undetectable to me.

Last edited:
I doubt if most of you are old enough to remember when HM first became Queen, Her first couple of years she worked really hard to avoid mistakes and learn the parameters of her job. She was not always looking as comfortable as she is now. Catherine was not raised royal. She will become more at ease as time goes on.

I doubt if most of you are old enough to remember when HM first became Queen, Her first couple of years she worked really hard to avoid mistakes and learn the parameters of her job. She was not always looking as comfortable as she is now. Catherine was not raised royal. She will become more at ease as time goes on.

All of this is true, but you can't really compare the situation HM went through when becoming Queen and the few years after to what Catherine is now going through. All she's done is marry the second in line to the throne who is currently only a RAF officer. Attending engagements with The Queen and The DOCo will be daunting for her, (can't imagine what it would be like if it was The Queen and Anne), and she will get used to them but you can hide nervousness or anxiety quite easy IMO.

Oh good grief!! I knew *something* would end up being "picked up" once Kate started doing engagements and sure enough. Good Lord, it's only been close to a year she's been a Member of the BRF and as someone else said, unlike other Royal Ladies out there, Kate's every move and clothing choice is flashed around the World for all to hear and see. For that to be placed on her shoulders *and* try to adapt to her new life, is an awful lot to ask of someone who just turned 30 and wasn't born Royal.

I'd be shocked if Kate didn't look a wee bit insecure, but where that's coming from I have no idea, because in the video of her engagements the last month I certainly haven't seen that. As for nerves, who wouldn't have them if you were in her shoes facing crowds like have been turning up to see her? I know I'd be a shaking mess.

Kate has been doing an outstanding job so far and I expect that to continue. Looking forward to seeing how she does w/her first Public Speech this week.

Even the born royals admit to being scared when they first began undertaking engagements so it would be logical if Catherine is as well, although I honestly do not see it in her appearances to date.

:previous: I agree with you. If she has "nerves", she hides it very well IMO. She seems to be able to forget about herself when dealing with the public and acts like she hardly knows that the cameras and microphones are there. She's coping very well in a situation that would make any number of people completely freeze up.

:previous: I agree with you. If she has "nerves", she hides it very well IMO. She seems to be able to forget about herself when dealing with the public and acts like she hardly knows that the cameras and microphones are there. She's coping very well in a situation that would make any number of people completely freeze up.

I agree with you. If there's any nervousness, it's almost undetectable. To me, she looks confident and poised, and I only wish that I could look like that when I walk into a job interview. Whatever nervousness we do see comes across as almost endearing, and tells that she's indeed human. She's allowed to be nervous, and I think with a little more experience, we won't even notice whatever jitters she's experiencing during a public appearance.

Agree, Kate's a natural when dealing with people, perhaps that was one of the many endearing qualities that William was attracted to in considering a wife and life partner?

Agree, Kate's a natural when dealing with people, perhaps that was one of the many endearing qualities that William was attracted to in considering a wife and life partner?

I don't think that she's excessively shy of being in the public eye. Wasn't it when William saw her modeling on a runway that he first realized "she's hot"? Of course there's no comparing modeling in a fashion show in front of your peers and doing official engagements with HM, but I do think Kate has natural self confidence.

Normal, intelligent people feel less than super-confident when doing new things. It seems like anything that is less than super-confident is going to be denoted by some bystanders as 'insecure,' when in fact, very few people have a role in life that demands they appear constantly in public, at all. Most people do not have to stand in front of a crowd and speak or appear as a main player in a public gathering. Only a fnool would be completely secure about such things in their youth.

It takes new college professors at least 2-3 years (in my opinion) to lose that initial "insecurity" (without which they make absolutely no improvement in their delivery or style). The super-confident usually drop to the bottom of the pack, as they see no reason to improve themselves (there's always something to improve when one starts a new job). It takes 7-10 years for most people to appear confident "managing" their own public events and persona.

Indeed, people who think they are confident and have no self-criticisms are far more likely to be incompetent in some major area, in my view.

Kate seems not to be able to win with everyone and I never cease to be amazed at the lengths people will go to find fault with her...I assume the same people critique their local football team at length (if they are sports fans) and offer up "suggestions" to the tellie on an as-needed basis.

I understand completely noticing fashion details or expressing one's opinion about some observable feature of Kate's dress or demeanor. I just do not get how people sitting at home can discern the mental events inside Kate's head (whether she's "insecure" or "nervous" or not). Excitement and nerves look almost identical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom