Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of tears and hugs: Finding Sarah promises to be hard-hitting as it charts the duchess' struggle to find happiness | Mail Online

All this does is alienate the Royal Family away from her even more! William spoke volumes in not inviting her to his wedding!

I thought the same when it was announced she would not be invited to the Royal Wedding, She is clearly in no way involved with the royal family anymore, one would think for the sake of her daughter's she would keep a low profile. Imagine it will be largely promoted on Oprah.

I thought the same when it was announced she would not be invited to the Royal Wedding, She is clearly in no way involved with the royal family anymore, one would think for the sake of her daughter's she would keep a low profile. Imagine it will be largely promoted on Oprah.

I think the BRF is probably gone into autopilot with her. They've got Kate and they're going to push her hard and act as if Sarah doesn't exist. So it's all she's got. Idiot that she is, you know that she knows how far she can take this. Her debts are basically gone so this is her trying to relaunch herself.

Will it work? Eh, could go either way though I believe, as much as the BRF don't want it to, Kate's ascension will probably help. Kinda makes you wonder if OWN is not making a mistake by not postponing it again to rub up against Kate hitting North America.

Did I just defend Sarah? I must be coming down with something.

The documentry 'Finding Sarah' airs soon. I doubt it will do much to improve public perception though.

Not judging by the comments about this; they are a bit nasty, to put mildly. If it's true that what the public mostly wants is for Sarah to go away, it doesn't bode well for her media career.

Nor does it do her daughters any good!
(Notice the comment that the York girls got their father's brains and their mother's fashion sense? Ouch!) :bang:

If Sarah remarries does she lose the Duchess of York title?

I think we've answered this question many times before on here - Sarah doesn't have an HRH "title", just the handle Duchess of York, which she keeps unless she remarries - then she does lose it. If Andrew remarries, Sarah is still "Duchess of York", just not "the Duchess of York."

If that isn't accurate, hopefully someone can step in to correct!

Last edited:
rmay286 said:
I think we've answered this question many times before on here - Sarah doesn't have an HRH "title", just the handle Duchess of York, which she keeps unless she remarries - then she does lose it. If Andrew remarries, Sarah is still "Duchess of York", just not "the Duchess of York."

If that isn't accurate, hopefully someone can step in to correct!

I knew as soon as I wrote title someone would correct me, I'd forgotten what else to call it aside from title so thank you....And I'm sure it's been answered but I have forgotten so thank you for reminding me.....I did know she wasn't an HRH .....:)

Sarah's use of the style Duchess of York is the standard use available to a divorced wife of a peer and thus she is Sarah, Duchess of York, just as the divorced wife of Mr John Smith is Mrs Jane Smith.

If Sarah ever remarried - someone other than Andrew - she would take on her new husband's name and title (if he had one). Should that marriage also end in divorce she would be able to return to using the style Duchess of York but she isn't The Duchess of York - that title can only be held by the actual wife of The Duke of York.

I think that those who like Sarah will really like her series, while those who are not fond of her will either not view the show or will watch and find reason to be critical of her. Sarah is taking a great chance with this series as far as her public perception is concerned. I wish her great luck, but the issues she's dealing with have been around since her divorce, and say, a year from now, Sarah is again broke or involved in some scandal, the press is going to be scathing, " Duchess Learned Nothing From The Experts", kind of headlines.
I haven't been a fan of Sarah's for a couple of years, but I hate to see her fail and I don't want to see her penniless or on the street, it would take a cold person to wish that.
It worries me that of the two women, Sarah has very much more to lose than Oprah. I hope that Oprah did not take advantage of Sarah and it worries me that if something happens, Oprah can go back and state, "It was all Sarah Ferguson's idea and I went along with it."
One more thing, my cable company has put the OWN in the high numbered channels and to receive it, I'd have to order an additional tier and that's going to cost big time. Many people are in that dilemma so I think that's a factor in the low following, but whatever loss is just a drop in the bucket for Oprah, but not for everyone else.

Am I the only one who wants to see it? Idk I kinda think right now the public have the wrong idea of her mostly because of the scandal last year I think if she is truly just trying to rebuild her life maybe it will give the public a better understanding of her problems. Look Sarah isn't perfect but still. As for William not inviting her IMO I think it was more of a seating issue then him not being on friendly terms with her. She's never once uttered one bad word about him so what has he got against her? I don't know I've been raised as your relatives are your relatives no matter how much they screw up you still love them and it's not as if she killed anyone.

Am I the only one who wants to see it? Idk I kinda think right now the public have the wrong idea of her mostly because of the scandal last year I think if she is truly just trying to rebuild her life maybe it will give the public a better understanding of her problems. Look Sarah isn't perfect but still. As for William not inviting her IMO I think it was more of a seating issue then him not being on friendly terms with her. She's never once uttered one bad word about him so what has he got against her? I don't know I've been raised as your relatives are your relatives no matter how much they screw up you still love them and it's not as if she killed anyone.

What does William have against her - simple - Sarah and Diana weren't on speaking terms when Diana died so William isn't on speaking terms with her now.

However there have also been suggestions that he isn't on good terms with Andrew either.

Personally I won't be watching the show, if it is on here, as I simply hate shows that are about people and their suffering. It is rather ghoulish if you has me - to watch someone else go through hell.

What does William have against her - simple - Sarah and Diana weren't on speaking terms when Diana died so William isn't on speaking terms with her now.

However there have also been suggestions that he isn't on good terms with Andrew either.

I think it is a bit sad that it has come to that because according to this journalist who attended his mother's funeral Sarah and Andrew (for all their faults) were very much there for both William and Harry.
I just know that if on the worst day of my life there was one person who sort of said to hell with the stuffy rules and protocol and gave me a hug, I would always think fondly of them.

Whatever we learn about Andrew, people will still cheer the happy couple | Suzanne Moore | Comment is free | The Guardian

"For the record, I was a cheerleader for Diana, as I like a troublesome woman who stirs things up. I never thought she was an actual republican, what with her wanting her son to be king and everything, but certainly she rocked the boat, and showed up this family for what it is. It may seem strange to say it, but at her funeral, which I attended, Andrew and Fergie seemed the most human of them. Fergie reached over and hugged those boys. No one else touched them in public the whole of that day.
Now she is banned from the latest wedding and gabbling on about wanting to find "the lotus flower within". She has been cast out".

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have the OWN network and I've yet to tune into it. I suppose I might watch the series but it would really depend on what time it is on. If they rebroadcast late night when Mr. Remote is sleeping, that would be when I would catch it.

Its not so much that I like or dislike Sarah, it just seems somewhat unrealistic to me that in a series to "find" herself, she's never in any one place long enough to really delve into the issues. One week with Dr. Phil, one week with this person and then off for the next. Its like going to one doctor for your headaches, another for your back pain and still another for gynecological reasons and getting medication from all of them. Instead of one doctor trying to piece together all three symptoms and finding what's really wrong, the person ends up with three different medications that very well could make the problem worse. It just seems too much like a "star psychology" reality show. Anyone that has gone into therapy for issues most likely will know that its rare that anything really is accomplished by just one or two visits.

Sarah's use of the style Duchess of York is the standard use available to a divorced wife of a peer and thus she is Sarah, Duchess of York, just as the divorced wife of Mr John Smith is Mrs Jane Smith.

If Sarah ever remarried - someone other than Andrew - she would take on her new husband's name and title (if he had one). Should that marriage also end in divorce she would be able to return to using the style Duchess of York but she isn't The Duchess of York - that title can only be held by the actual wife of The Duke of York.

Please could I try to help with a little background information?

Sarah is Sarah, Duchess of York; the UK media doesn't help by continuously calling her 'The Duchess of York'. The papers are also wrong when they call her 'Sarah THE Duchess of York'

As Iluvbertie correctly says, Sarah has lost her 'HRH' title, which happened on her divorce, when she also lost her precedence. [her 'rank' (if you can call it thus) is based on her late father's station, and so she is the younger daughter of a gentleman- some lists take into account the fact that her late father was an army officer, others simply refer to her father as a 'gentleman'.

If Sarah was to re-marry, as Iluvbertie says, she would take any style and title of her new husband. If she was then to divorce her new husband, in fact under British law her use of her former style of 'Sarah, Duchess of York' is not 'revived' in the true sense, as if it had 'lain dormant' for the duration of her subsequent marriage. Former wives who do 'revert' to their former titles are actually doing so because their 'entitlement' to do so is actually based on the English and Welsh legal right [I am not sure about Scottish legal position] for anyone to call themselves what they want, with the proviso that by doing so you are not attempting anything fraudulent.

The most well-known examples I can think of are Raine, stepmother of Princess Diana, who, after the death of Earl Spencer then married the Comte de Chambrun. Raine soon divorced him, but instead of calling herself Raine, Comtesse de Chambrun, chose to revert to the Style 'Raine Countess Spencer'. She is doing so though based on the premise that you can call yourself what you like providing you are not being fraudulent.

Other examples of ladies who reverted to the style of their former husbands include Maureen, Marchioness of Dufferin and Ava, who, after the death of the Marquess, married Major Desmond Buchanan, but retained her 'title' "out of deference to the wishes of her first husband"

Hope this helps,

Alex

Last edited:

However there have also been suggestions that he isn't on good terms with Andrew either.QUOTE]

I think it is a bit sad that it has come to that because according to this journalist who attended his mother's funeral Sarah and Andrew (for all their faults) were very much there for both William and Harry.
I just know that if on the worst day of my life there was one person who sort of said to hell with the stuffy rules and protocol and gave me a hug, I would always think fondly of them.

Whatever we learn about Andrew, people will still cheer the happy couple | Suzanne Moore | Comment is free | The Guardian

"For the record, I was a cheerleader for Diana, as I like a troublesome woman who stirs things up. I never thought she was an actual republican, what with her wanting her son to be king and everything, but certainly she rocked the boat, and showed up this family for what it is. It may seem strange to say it, but at her funeral, which I attended, Andrew and Fergie seemed the most human of them. Fergie reached over and hugged those boys. No one else touched them in public the whole of that day.
Now she is banned from the latest wedding and gabbling on about wanting to find "the lotus flower within". She has been cast out".
Exactly this is what I'm talking about. this why I'm saying what would he have against her? I even remember an interview she did a while back she commented on Diana and said she misses her so much and then she added "My god have you seen her boys? So gorgeous and such wonderful people" In such a wonderful way it definitely made me smile. I can't quite remember which interview it was right now but I'll have a look for it later on.

Sarah is a mess in her personal life. Despite whatever it is that people think she did for William and Harry she isn't exactly someone that a lot of people would want around. I just don't see the big deal. And given how much her life evolves around talking about her royal life would William feel comfortable knowing she'd be blabbing all sorts of things? Look at what she did with that undercover operation. God bless her, I hope she finds a stable life but I don't think being invited to a wedding is something she needs to be concerned with. Her main focus should be finally living a stable adult life.

I do have the OWN network and I've yet to tune into it. I suppose I might watch the series but it would really depend on what time it is on. If they rebroadcast late night when Mr. Remote is sleeping, that would be when I would catch it.

Its not so much that I like or dislike Sarah, it just seems somewhat unrealistic to me that in a series to "find" herself, she's never in any one place long enough to really delve into the issues. One week with Dr. Phil, one week with this person and then off for the next. Its like going to one doctor for your headaches, another for your back pain and still another for gynecological reasons and getting medication from all of them. Instead of one doctor trying to piece together all three symptoms and finding what's really wrong, the person ends up with three different medications that very well could make the problem worse. It just seems too much like a "star psychology" reality show. Anyone that has gone into therapy for issues most likely will know that its rare that anything really is accomplished by just one or two visits.

I can see what you mean about the potential difficulties, and it could be a difficult balance act between the show's double aims of helping Sarah with her problems, and of relaunching her career.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that although the show will go out in 6 weekly parts, I'm sure the process of filming it will have taken much longer, and of course Sarah has the option of following up on anything that she finds useful without the cameras later on. I'm sure the experts would give her guidance in terms of who to see for advice or what to do long-term.

But I think as well as the therapeutic aspect, she is trying to give people the opportunity to see the "real her". Those of us who like Sarah have always been impressed with her willingness to open up about herself, with all her good qualities and all her faults. I'm sure she feels that those people who may have got the wrong idea about her after the NOTW sting may change their mind and see her more sympathetically through a show like this.

I can see what you mean about the potential difficulties, and it could be a difficult balance act between the show's double aims of helping Sarah with her problems, and of relaunching her career.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that although the show will go out in 6 weekly parts, I'm sure the process of filming it will have taken much longer, and of course Sarah has the option of following up on anything that she finds useful without the cameras later on. I'm sure the experts would give her guidance in terms of who to see for advice or what to do long-term.

But I think as well as the therapeutic aspect, she is trying to give people the opportunity to see the "real her". Those of us who like Sarah have always been impressed with her willingness to open up about herself, with all her good qualities and all her faults. I'm sure she feels that those people who may have got the wrong idea about her after the NOTW sting may change their mind and see her more sympathetically through a show like this.

I am not trying to 'Sarah Bash', but having read what you have said above, forgive me, but hasn't Sarah made similar types of documentary in the past? I have never watched one, but have vague recollections of reading articles commenting on the fact that Sarah has made several 'confessional' types of programme in the United States before...

I would just have thought that there is little fresh that she could say - the only real difference between the programmes seems to be that there is some more 'dirty linen' to wash [Access for Cash / Paedophile allegedly helping settle Sarah's debts]. And on that basis, [i.e. basically re-hashing the old 'confessional aspect', is this documentary likely to be lucrative for Sarah? I would just think that there is a danger that people might say ' We've watched all this before and it is not so interesting this time around.......'

Alex

Last edited:
you know what? I hope Kevin Costner will check out Sarah's show!!! :lol: I can't wait!

... it could be a difficult balance act between the show's double aims of helping Sarah with her problems, and of relaunching her career.

i think the show's main aim is to make money, not to help Sarah out or relaunch her career. If she was Joanne Bloggs, they wouldn't bother.

I am not trying to 'Sarah Bash', but having read what you have said above, forgive me, but hasn't Sarah made similar types of documentary in the past? I have never watched one, but have vague recollections of reading articles commenting on the fact that Sarah has made several 'confessional' types of programme in the United States before...

I would just have thought that there is little fresh that she could say - the only real difference between the programmes seems to be that there is some more 'dirty linen' to wash [Access for Cash / Paedophile alledgedly helping settle Sarah's debts]. And on that basis, [i.e. basically re-hashing the old 'confessional aspect', is this documentary likely to be lucrative for Sarah? I would just think that there is a danger that people might say ' We've watched all this before and it is not so interesting this time around.......'

Alex

No, I think the same as you - the "Finding Sarah" documentary isn't really anything "new." Sarah hasn't specifically done a confessional documentary before, but she has done confessional interviews (with Oprah and others) as well as documentary/reality TV shows. The two that come to mind are the one where she stayed with a British family to promote healthy eating, in England, and the Wythenshawe documentary which created a backlash. "Finding Sarah" combines the two genres (confessional and reality TV) but it probably won't be much that Sarah's fans haven't heard before.

The only really new element is the "Cash for Access" sting and the way it exposed Sarah's financial problems. Everything else mentioned in the "Finding Sarah" preview clip - the critical British press, her mother's abandonment of her, her insecurities - have all been discussed to death. Sarah published a number of self-help/confessional-style books after her divorce, and they all touched on those themes and how she had supposedly rebuilt her life. Now I guess we're supposed to discover that actually, her life was still in shambles the whole time and she needs to start from scratch again.

I also figured out why I don't think this documentary will get the cash flowing for Sarah again: Sarah's self-help talks, books, and shows were never the biggest money-earners for her. It was the Weight Watchers' contract that really brought in the money. "Brand Sarah" was still successful in other ways, I suppose, but mainly because Sarah was a very well-known figure not just in Britain, but "across the pond" during the early 1990s. The whole world (figuratively) watched her crash and burn, so a lot of people were interested in her transformation post-divorce. Now, though, Sarah just doesn't come from the same place of international popularity. William and Kate are better-known. Plus, reality docudramas about celebrities who have lost their way are now a dime a dozen. Before this documentary finishes airing, some fresh celebrity drama will have broken. Compared to Charlie Sheen, for example, how is Sarah supposed to draw an audience? Her meltdown wasn't spectacular enough, and her fame and popularity in the last ten years weren't high enough.

Last edited:
Sarah will be back on Oprah tomorrow apparently talking again about her life in the BRF and the fall from grace. I understand the commercial need to publicize her new showon OWN but please God, Sarah stop talking about your life in the BRF, your husband and your daughters. Get your own life. Also someone has to tell the girls to stay out of it as well, they need to separate Sarah their mother from Sarah the public personality. OK to stay close to your mom but stay away from the tv personality who cant stop talking about her former life in the BRF and involving her daughters in her life drama for commercial consumption.

Sarah will be back on Oprah tomorrow apparently talking again about her life in the BRF and the fall from grace. I understand the commercial need to publicize her new showon OWN but please God, Sarah stop talking about your life in the BRF, your husband and your daughters. Get your own life.

That is her own life. What else is she supposed to talk about?

Sarah, Beatrice, and Eugenie are on the Oprah show Wed.

We're going to record Oprah and we never record Oprah - so Oprah will see a little bump in ratings. Even a teensy bump (1%) is worth a lot in advertising dollars. It will probably be more than that. At least two other teachers where I teach are going to record it too, and I'm recommending it to two classes where it's relevant (70 students) for extra credit.

I'm sure Sarah was paid in advance for some parts of the show. Her show will appeal to the "Housewives" crowd (BH Housewives, Miami Housewives, etc.) It sure helps keep her in the public eye, the wedding caught people's eye, so it's all carefully planned and timed by Oprah and her crew.

Beatrice and Eugenie have made it to the evening tabloids, which is why my students will remember to watch (after the wedding, they were the two most asked about personages, aside from Will, Harry and Kate, of course.)

Are you recording the Duchess's interview on Oprah, or are you going to record Finding Sarah? What kind of class do you teach where either show would be relavant?

And oh yeah...
Maybe O can give B and E some fashion tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom