Sarah, Duchess of York Current Events 16: January-May 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, rmay286. I think that the Queen might be the last of her family who has a heart-felt commitment to the Faith.

I think that, aside from the rules, the reason she doesn't appear to show much interest in traditional Christianity is that the religion has never been explained to her as anything more than a set of rules that are to be obeyed for the sake of tradition, rather than because the follower believes passionately with his/her heart.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on this, rmay286. I think that the Queen might be the last of her family who has a heart-felt commitment to the Faith.

I think that's true of Britain in general--it has become a "post-Christian culture." Sarah is really no exception for not following traditional values; most people in Britain don't seem to find the Christian church relevant to them anymore.

I see what you're saying, Zonk--Sarah has friends who will give her "freebies", and if they want to offer them, what can we do about that? I agree that Sarah will never have a 9 to 5 job. She is in the middle of a bit of a crisis of career options right now. I think Andrew is as well, though--I have a feeling he is going to lose that trade ambassador job at some point. I am interested to see what direction both their lives take after that point (and the lives of their daughters), because with William and Kate's marriage, I think Charles' immediate family will gradually become more prominent. And already, no one seems to have any use for the Yorks.

:previous: Yes, Charles's family will always be more prominent but that is the natural way...it has nothing to do with the Yorks (their good and bad points, their baggage, etc.). It happened that way with Princess Margaret, it would have happened that way with the Duke of York and his family (later George VI), the other Duke of York (George V) if life hadn't changed their fates. Nothing is different. Especially if you look at other monarchies (Spain, Denmark, the Netherlands, etc.). It will eventually happen to Harry.

What the spares are good for are supporting the heir and future monarch. The perfect spare in modern times.....The Princess Royal. Who continues to live somewhat under the radar (not a lot of negative press), does a TON of engagements, and has a supportive spouse (well from what we can see). Or the Wessexes. If the Yorks lived like that, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Back on topic. Hopefully Sarah will find a middle ground where she can support herself outside the UK.

Last edited:
I really doubt that Sarah has so many generous friends. If she did, she probably wouldn't have gotten into debt in the first place.

Some of the associates she has made lately, much like Andrew's, tend to be people who expect a return on their investment.

It's been mentioned that she had a similar lifestyle before Andrew; perhaps she did, but she came from a family of relatively modest means.
Other perks were supplied by wealthy boyfriends like McNally, and now that she is older, such a solution is less likely.

In addition, she's now known to have alienated much of the RF. So any devoted friends won't be expecting any payback.

I fully expect her to run into debt again in a relatively short time.

I read an article in my local paper this evening stating that Oprah's new network is only averaging 135,000 viewers a day and doesn't look as if it will survive. There's a question if Sarah's program will ever make it on air.
Unfortunately Sarah may have made another rash decision, I would think that she's gotten some money out of it. It's already been rehashed in this thread and another, but what's left for Sarah? It'll be interesting to see what is down the line for her.

Sarah, Duchess of York leaving Quaglino's Restaurant, London, March 1st:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

It seems there are 2 issues here: 1) Sarah’s commitment or otherwise to the “spiritual life”, and 2) her lifestyle, whether it’s justified, and whether she can afford it.

On the first point, when I analysed in a previous point the meaning of the lotus flower image, I didn’t mean to imply by that Sarah was a deeply committed follower of Eastern spirituality, but rather that she was open and receptive to these kind of ideas. From this point of view, I feel the lotus flower metaphor could be a useful mental image to help her move forward in her life. It’s an image that makes sense philosophically, and will certainly be more useful that the exploitative quackery of a Madame Vasso figure.

On the lifestyle issue – as Zonk points out, Sarah has been accustomed to living in a certain style for many years, and to me it would seem utterly cruel and humiliating to see her cast out from her family and friends into some mythical, puritanical simple life “for her own good”. Nor do I see her lifestyle, as some seem to, as incompatible with personal fulfilment. I’m sure the biggest source of happiness and fulfilment in Sarah’s life has been her relationship to her daughters. Her charity work is also hugely important to her and I’m sure this could be another source of fulfilment.

So can she afford it? I still believe she has so much to offer in terms of TV work, books, public speaking, etc. Of course the “scandal” has damaged the brand to some degree, but she has built a successful public image in the past on an honest admission of her supposed failings, an empathy with others and a passion and commitment to the things she believes in. All of this is still there, and I believe she can still make use of it. I also don’t share the view that all her wealthy friends have ulterior motives. For example, Sir Richard Branson is one of the most successful businessmen of all time – there’s nothing he needs from Sarah. But he enjoys her company – so she gets freebie trips on private jet to his Caribbean island. That’s all there is too it, surely.

For example, Sir Richard Branson is one of the most successful businessmen of all time – there’s nothing he needs from Sarah. But he enjoys her company – so she gets freebie trips on private jet to his Caribbean island. That’s all there is too it, surely.

Considering how entrenched his kids are with the royals, not just the Yorks, one could make the argument that he does have other motives. Can we honestly say Dave Clarke would've been as close to Beatrice without the Branson connections?

Considering how entrenched his kids are with the royals, not just the Yorks, one could make the argument that he does have other motives. Can we honestly say Dave Clarke would've been as close to Beatrice without the Branson connections?

Since we don't know what his motives are...let's not specualtive shall we?

I thought Dave and Beatrice were introduced to each other by Prince William so that wouldn't mean Richard Branson was behind it. Anyway, back to Sarah, I didn't mean to go off topic.

I thought Dave and Beatrice were introduced to each other by Prince William so that wouldn't mean Richard Branson was behind it. Anyway, back to Sarah, I didn't mean to go off topic.

I wasn't implying that he introduced them, just that his involvement with the RF made it possible. And onto the topic at hand.

I really doubt that Sarah has so many generous friends. If she did, she probably wouldn't have gotten into debt in the first place.

Ultimately, having rich friends means nothing if you can't take care of yourself. They could've invested but they obviously knew it wouldn't go anywhere. Once the debt was there the only one to actually pour money into her was Andrew. Can't expect your pals to just fork over thousands or more, even if they can afford it easily.

It's been mentioned that she had a similar lifestyle before Andrew; perhaps she did, but she came from a family of relatively modest means.
Other perks were supplied by wealthy boyfriends like McNally, and now that she is older, such a solution is less likely.

In addition, she's now known to have alienated much of the RF. So any devoted friends won't be expecting any payback.

I fully expect her to run into debt again in a relatively short time.

It wouldn't surprise me if she did. Hardheadedness can be a great attribute when facing adversity but it's such a weakness when you can't see your own massive faults. Even worse when those around you don't seem to point them out.

Unfortunately Sarah seems to used to be able to taste the high life on someone else's dime. Eventually the well will dry up. Has it now? Don't know, when the dust settles I'm sure she'll get another chance. Wait for the wedding hoopla to pass, maybe even wait for Zara be slow and sneak your way back in.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Sarah seems to used to be able to taste the high life on someone else's dime. Eventually the well will dry up. Has it now? Don't know, when the dust settles I'm sure she'll get another chance. Wait for the wedding hoopla to pass, maybe even wait for Zara be slow and sneak your way back in.

Sneak her way back in where?
Supposedly the Queen has had it with Sarah.
And, according to Andersen (I know I'm quoting him quite a bit but I just finished his book) William was one of the most outraged members of the RF when the scandal broke.

(He's said to have marveled that Diana ever was her friend).

With a pov like that, I think it's unlikely Sarah will be in good standing with the RF any time soon.

:previous: I have that book and I am going to reread it. Because honestly, I took a majority of what was said as a grain of fluff....I recall there were a couple of contradictions that made me question the veracity of the book.

:previous: I have that book and I am going to reread it. Because honestly, I took a majority of what was said as a grain of fluff....I recall there were a couple of contradictions that made me question the veracity of the book.

Anderson writes well but I don't trust all his facts. I had a lot of books by him that I gave away.

I just think the Royal family does not like the scandals the the Duchess brings to the BRF. We know that Prince Philip can not be in the same room with the Duchess. We all know that Prince William loves his grandfather. Then no Sarah at the royal wedding.

Also Diana, Princess of Wales was really never close to Sarah, Duchess of York after her disgrace and divorce. I read that the Duchess wrote in her book that she got worts from the Princess' shoes. I think it was the last straw in a friendship that was based on competition. I know Sarah tried the last year of Diana's life to be her friend again and the Princess would not let her in. This too could have soured Prince William to the Duchess.

Sneak her way back in where?
And, according to Andersen (I know I'm quoting him quite a bit but I just finished his book) William was one of the most outraged members of the RF when the scandal broke.

With a pov like that, I think it's unlikely Sarah will be in good standing with the RF any time soon.

I didn't mean the royal family, I'm one of those that doubts that'll ever happen. I was talking restarting some kind of career. Waiting till the RF's star was brightest, after the wedding, and slowly attempt to rebuild herself.

Do you have any sources that confirm this Mirabel? I am not trying to be snarky, HM RARELY says anything about any scandal (except the Annus Horribilus speech) so I am VERY interested if she did. Thanks! :flowers:

I thought Dave and Beatrice were introduced to each other by Prince William so that wouldn't mean Richard Branson was behind it.

Not wanting to fuel a conspiracy (Branson inflitrates the royal family!!!!) Beatrice herself last year when she ran the London marathon said that Sam Branson introduced her to Dave Clarke not Prince William as it was reported.

Sarah's generous friends provide her with homes, holidays and travel, not money. Eg last year she stayed in Conneticut with one long time friend, she was invited to Richard Branson's 60th on Nekker island (free accomodation) rich Conneticut friend flew her down to Nekker in own private plane. So Sarah travelled by private plane (free) holidayed on Nekker (free). Paddy McNally for years has given her the use of his chalet in Verbier (Free) and also a house in Spain during the summer (free) For the last ski holiday a private car picked her up from the train station, the car had friends of hers and they collected her from the station (again free!) Sarah gets into debt because she pays this generosity onto others, not her rich friends but those who are 'not so rich'. All goes well while her finances are good but when a business deal (her Hartmor range) collapses then her finances also collapse.

Christopher Andersen's books are total drivel. His last one had the photoshopped picture of Kate meeting the Queen. Nothing in his books should ever be taken seriously and certainly not quoted as information!
Diana's friendship with Sarah predates Diana's wedding, their mothers had been friends at school.
Also Diana, Princess of Wales was really never close to Sarah, Duchess of York after her disgrace and divorce. I read that the Duchess wrote in her book that she got worts from the Princess' shoes. I think it was the last straw in a friendship that was based on competition. I know Sarah tried the last year of Diana's life to be her friend again and the Princess would not let her in. This too could have soured Prince William to the Duchess.
Diana was close to Sarah after her 'disgrace' (the toe sucking incident) and they spent time together after both their separations. Their 'falling out' predates Sarah's books which was written in 1996, it has nothing to do with writing about warts! At the Diana inquest Sarah provided a statement that prior to Diana's death they had no contact for 2 years. They holidayed together in August 1995 so that's when they fell out. William it seems has't bothered to re-establish any contact with Sarah. He hasn't spoken to her in years.
Sarah has always been a good friend to Diana, the same can't be said about Diana. After Diana's death Andrew Morton (who wrote the story) said it was Diana who telephoned him to say the Yorks were separating. In her book Sarah thought it was the 'grey men' of the palace who leaked the information early (they wanted to wait until after Eugenie's birthday, it was in a few days). Instead it was Diana. Sarah on the otherhand has never said anything negative EVER, about Diana and she easily could have, considering their falling out.

The tabloids have written that supposedly Andrew asked convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein to use his influence in helping Sarah deal with her creditors and former staff reported that Sarah was also a guest at Epstein's estate.

That¿s one way to settle your debts, Fergie: Duchess¿s former aides accept just a quarter of what she owed them | Mail Online

There is it seems some much needed good news for Sarah this week. :lucky: Girl! However, I'm sure that has to be life No 8 used up. I truly hope the only way is up for her and wish her well.
Just behave Sarah, behave!!

How is this good news? All I see is her letting others hold the bag for her. This isn't good when you consider that it's not just an employee but someone she's known for decades who she's "convinced" to take to take a 75% cut on money rightfully owed to her. Some massive corparition is one thing but when you *bleep* the little guy like this you're asking for problems.

Another book. I wonder what we'll find in there.

Do you have any sources that confirm this Mirabel? I am not trying to be snarky, HM RARELY says anything about any scandal (except the Annus Horribilus speech) so I am VERY interested if she did. Thanks! :flowers:

I read it in one of the newspapers about the time the invitations were sent (I suppose it was to account for why Sarah didn't get one).
However, now I don't remember which one!

(I'm not too familiar with the British press, can't tell one paper from another. Sorry).

Exactly. It's good news for Sarah, but not for anyone else involved.:ermm:

This isn't good when you consider that it's not just an employee but someone she's known for decades who she's "convinced" to take to take a 75% cut on money rightfully owed to her.

How is this good news? All I see is her letting others hold the bag for her. This isn't good when you consider that it's not just an employee but someone she's known for decades who she's "convinced" to take to take a 75% cut on money rightfully owed to her. Some massive corparition is one thing but when you *bleep* the little guy like this you're asking for problems.

Another book. I wonder what we'll find in there.

Sorry Silver-bic, I probably wasn't very clear.
I was just thinking of it from Sarah's point of view, that the threat of bankruptcy has been lifted.
Of course her former employees won't be celebrating.

Judging by the comments on this, most people agree with you. :flowers:

The tabloids have written that supposedly Andrew asked convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein to use his influence in helping Sarah deal with her creditors and former staff reported that Sarah was also a guest at Epstein's estate.

Hardly as issue, though, if true. A great many people have dealings with others who, it may later transpire, be less than honourable.

Why, Epstein and Maxwell have been guests at Sandringham. I hardly regard this as an aspersion on HM's integrity, though.

Hardly as issue, though, if true. A great many people have dealings with others who, it may later transpire, be less than honourable.

Why, Epstein and Maxwell have been guests at Sandringham. I hardly regard this as an aspersion on HM's integrity, though.

Good Point Polly...there are also a lot of questionable people that have been around a lot of people who are well known including Andrew and Sarah. Maybe its just because its their threads and articles are being written about them...but I don't see the same type of scorn thrown their way.

Regarding Sarah paying her former employees...lets also not acknolwege that many employees who work for companies that go under unexpectedly often find themselves without a job and a last check. Its not just Sarah. Yes, I realize this is Sarah's thread but considering that many of these employees thought they weren't going to get paid at all...so this might be unexpected and greatly welcomed surprise, even if its not what is fully owed.

For everyone get's all excited, employing people and not paying them is NOT acceptable. Nor do I think that short changing people for job performance is NOT acceptable either.

I just think this is better than nothing, which is what they were going to get once Sarah ran into her money troubles.

No its not. In my opinion, people are letting their personal dislike for Sarah get in they way of their objectivitiy. Or rather their lack of objectivity. Until her recent financial hardships, you didn't hear much press from Sarah's employees about not getting paid.

Yes, there is certainly a life style change that Sarah needs to make but really, Sarah isn't different from other people that I know (realtors, loan officers, appraisers, etc.) who when they could financially support themselves maintained a certain lifestyle. When the market changed, all of sudden they couldn't pay people that they used to pay.

Sarah had business opportunities that didn't pan out, and as a result she is unable to pay people. Much like business that go under that don't pay (or pay late) their rent, their utilities, and some instances the people who pay for them.

ETA: Sarah is not perfect and there are many things that she can be blamed for etc...but I don't think she deliberately employed these people with the intention of not paying them. Certainly, she could exercise a degree of caution of how she looks and acts in a post financial nightmare...but let's keep it real. And regardless of personal feellings, fair. They way most people talk about her it as if she is a grifter or something.

Last edited:
No its not. In my opinion, people are letting their personal dislike for Sarah get in they way of their objectivitiy. Or rather their lack of objectivity. Until her recent financial hardships, you didn't hear much press from Sarah's employees about not getting paid.

Yes, there is certainly a life style change that Sarah needs to make but really, Sarah isn't different from other people that I know (realtors, loan officers, appraisers, etc.) who when they could financially support themselves maintained a certain lifestyle. When the market changed, all of sudden they couldn't pay people that they used to pay.

Sarah had business opportunities that didn't pan out, and as a result she is unable to pay people. Much like business that go under that don't pay (or pay late) their rent, their utilities, and some instances the people who pay for them.

ETA: Sarah is not perfect and there are many things that she can be blamed for etc...but I don't think she deliberately employed these people with the intention of not paying them. Certainly, she could exercise a degree of caution of how she looks and acts in a post financial nightmare...but let's keep it real. And regardless of personal feellings, fair. They way most people talk about her it as if she is a grifter or something.

Sorry Zonk - 'grifter' is probably just the word I've been looking for - she continued to employ and conduct business when she knew she was in debt.

Sorry Zonk - 'grifter' is probably just the word I've been looking for - she continued to employ and conduct business when she knew she was in debt.

By if that is the case...Everyone or darn near everyone is a grifter. The US government, GM, your local doctor, etc. These are people who employ and conduct business when they are in debt. Is that what you mean?

A grifter (like the Angelica Hudson movie) is someone who is selling a con. I don't believe that is the case for Sarah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom