Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 9: December 2005-April 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
According to the report posted by Skydragon, it's more a case of the grandsons wanting the Queen to have Christmas at Windsor. :)

I don't have it in print yet but, the palace has announced 'there are no plans to change to Windsor in the future, at this time'.:)

Nude Queen Photos Launch Austrias EU Presidency

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/12/29/waust29.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/12/29/ixnewstop.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4567000.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4568012.stm

May I be the first to say that I am totally disgusted and shocked that this was even made. Im a big supporter of free speech and expression but this has taken it to far. Especially with the public paying for it and it representing something so importent.

They just showed a documentary called "The Queen by Rolf" on BBC One. I've never seen such a long interview with the Queen. She sat and chatted away to him and we were shown everything. It was quite amazing but it worries me that the media are going to think that she's going to be avaliable for comment every 5 minutes and that she'll be hounded for interviews. It showed her humour and charm and I thought that the Queen came off very well in it.

It showed her humour and charm and I thought that the Queen came off very well in it.

I agree BeatrixFan. In fact at times she made me laugh with her quick wit! What really surprised me was when she replied "Nah" because I am so used to hearing her speak with such an upper class accent but i'lll admit I loved this part because it showed just how human she is. It was also a delight to see how she eased Rolf's nerves with some interesting anectotes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Princejonnhy25 said:
Nude Queen Photos Launch Austrias EU Presidency
I'm not even going to click on those links. I know it will just make me mad. :mad:
It's too bad they can't be hung up by their thumbs-like in the good old days. ;)

Does anybody know if this will be broadcast in America or Canada. On CBC or PBS. I would love to see it.

What really surprised me was when she replied "Nah" because I am so used to hearing her speak with such an upper class accent but i'lll admit I loved this part because it showed just how human she is.

I adored that! She did it in jest I think. And then she really tested him on the gun salute for Coronation Day! It was a good programme. Shame the same can't be said about the portrait.

GrandDuchess said:
Here are a few more pictures of Queen Elizabeth today as she opened the new building of Reuters at Canary Wharf in London.
Her Majesty looks just so stylish!! I am loving it!:)

Sorry Princejonnhy25 I tried to check for you but I couldn't find any info on it but I really hope you get the opportunity to see it. I'll try my hardest to find out if it's showing in America or Canada!

It truly was a good programme and showed the "real" queen but I agree BeatrixFan that the portrait was not the greatest. It was the teeth I think!

It sounds like a wonderful programme! I do hope we'll get the opportunity to see it on BBC Prime or BBC World as I'm in Sweden and can't see the regular BBC channels...

Where was this programme recorded? Was it in connection to the presentation of the portrait?

It showed him painting HM and then the unveiling.

At one point, the portrait was perfect and if only he'd left it alone - but he didn't. He fiddled and made her look buck-toothed. I loved seeing the different portraits of the Queen they showed. I thought the hologram was rather special.

Rolf had two sittings with the Queen in Buckingham Palace which were filmed and he also took pictures of her so he could work on her portrait at home. I can't remember when the portrait was unveiled but the programme basically showed Rolf painting her majesty and having a chat at the same time so pretty much the run up to the unveiling etc. He said he wanted to paint a picture which depicts the real Queen and so this programme was to show who the real queen was.

He borrowed the Queen's outfit and had it sent to his house to paint the details - it came on a lovely pink padded hanger. Very homely.

I never even noticed the hanger lol! IMO it was very kind of her to let him borrow the outfit and it was pretty cool how she basically left everything up to him such as what outfit she wore and what jewellery she put on etc.

Canada sends "Happy Birthday" wishes to
Queen Elizabeth

Ottawa - Canada Post will issue a single domestic rate (51¢) stamp on January 12, 2006, to commemorate Queen Elizabeth's 80th birthday. This special commemorative will be reprinted as needed, as was the case with the Queen's Jubilee stamp. On April 21, the Queen's actual birthday, Canada Post will issue a souvenir sheet featuring two international rate ($1.49) stamps of the same design.

Q30 Design Inc. of Toronto created the Queen's birthday stamp. The photo, taken by Victor Pilon for Canadian Heritage, shows the Queen in a colourful, brightly lit, informal portrait, interacting with the public at the RCMP Museum and Stables in Ottawa during her 2002 visit. The words "Happy Birthday! / April 21, 1926" appear in both official languages on the stamp.

Queen Elizabeth is the most celebrated personality to have appeared on Canadian postage stamps, having been featured over 100 times.
http://www.canadapost.ca/business/corporate/about/newsroom/pr/default-e.asp?prid=1138

picture of the stamp from Canadapost.ca:

What a lovely stamp! I can't wait until the official Birthday cebebrations for Her Majesty!

It is pretty isnt it? The last Canadian stamp of QE was based on a candid photo of the Queen taken by singer Bryan Adams for her Golden Jubilee. It was very nice too but the new one is more colourful.
I think Im going to go out and get it. I need new 51 cent stamps anyway.

Skydragon said:
RIGA – Riga could be graced twice by royalty this year, as both the queen of the Netherlands and Great Britain might visit the Latvian capital, the daily Diena reported last week.
Woo!Thanks for the news, i'm sure it will be a really wonderful year for Her Majesty as celebrations for her 80th birthday, and visit to Australia for Commonwealth Games, State Visit to Singapore, a Brazillian State Visit to The United Kingdom in March would bring some greats as well and maybe some glittering Tiaras too, and now a maybe-Latvian State Visit!So exciting year!

I wasn't sure if I should include this in the Queen Elizabeth news thread or in one in the Prince Charles sub-forum.

I just read an article by the Sunday Mirror at http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16587334%26method=full%26siteid=62484%26headline=royal%2dexclusive%2dcharles%2dto%2drule%2das%2dregent%2d%2dwhile%2dqueen%2dtakes%2dback%2dseat%2d-name_page.html.

Essentially it says that the Queen intends to stand aside for Charles to rule unofficially as "regent" without the Queen actually fully abdicating.

I know she was going to start cutting back on some of her duties, such as investitures and overseas trips, but this seems a little far-fetched. How credible is the Sunday Mirror?

Not credible at all. But that same story ran in the Telegraph, the Sun, the Daily Mail and the Sunday Mirror the day after Charles and Camilla married so it looks to have some truth to it. She won't officially abdicate, nor will she set up a regency, but she's going to take a back-seat role and there won't be anymore overseas trips. Charles and Camilla will be doing all that sort of thing.

Queen's letters to midwife on show

The letters written by the Queen to her midwife that assisted at the births of Princes Charles, Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne will be exhibited before being put up for auction.

From the BBC

ysbel said:
Queen's letters to midwife on show

The letters written by the Queen to her midwife that assisted at the births of Princes Charles, Andrew, Edward and Princess Anne will be exhibited before being put up for auction.

From the BBC

hmmm...why would anyone want to buy that????

pollyemma said:
hmmm...why would anyone want to buy that????

Hmm, I was thinking the same thing, pollyemma. Though I would be interested in seeing the exhibit I don't know whether I'd want to BUY the letters.

The Queen is usually so close with releasing her personal correspondence I was surprised she even allowed these letters to be made public.

ysbel said:
Hmm, I was thinking the same thing, pollyemma. Though I would be interested in seeing the exhibit I don't know whether I'd want to BUY the letters.

The Queen is usually so close with releasing her personal correspondence I was surprised she even allowed these letters to be made public.

Since these letters aren't in The Queen's possession (and haven't been ever since she mailed them), I'm not sure she could control their being publicly sold. If I remember correctly from situations with some royal letters in the recent past, the writer still has copyright to the written words, but the physical letters themselves belong to whomever owns them at the time. Also that copyright prevents the entire document being published without permission, but that small excerpts can be.

well well the Queen used that word eh tut tut :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom