Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 8: September-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems there will be really special year 2006 in British Royal Family as The Queen going to celebrate her 80th birthday.Buckingham Palace today released some information about that:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4533.asp
Buckingham Palace press releases
THE QUEEN'S 80TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS 2006
26 October 2005
THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN
Buckingham Palace is planning a number of events to celebrate The Queen's 80th birthday in 2006, both around Her Majesty's actual birthday on 21 April and her official birthday on 17 June.

Events are being planned to take place at both Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle and will combine private family celebrations with more public occasions.

The Queen will spend her actual birthday, 21 April, at Windsor Castle as usual, and the official birthday will be marked by the annual Trooping the Colour on 17 June. Other events planned around these two dates will include:
80th birthday reception and lunch - London
On 19 April 2006, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will host a reception and lunch at Buckingham Palace for some of those people who will also be celebrating their 80th birthday on 21 April 2006.
Birthday dinner
The Prince of Wales will host a family dinner for The Queen on the evening of 21 April 2006.
Family Service of Thanksgiving - Windsor
On Sunday, 23 April 2006, Members of The Royal Family will attend a special Service of Thanksgiving at St George's Chapel, Windsor, to celebrate The Queen's 80th birthday.
National Service of Thanksgiving - London
On 15 June 2006, The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral followed by a Lunch given by the Lord Mayor and the Corporation of London.
Children's Garden Party - London
On 25 June 2006, The Queen will host a "birthday" Garden Party at Buckingham Palace for children from all over the UK.
Special travelling exhibition of works by Leonardo da Vinci
Ten of the Royal Collection's finest drawings by Leonardo da Vinci will travel to museums and galleries in Exeter, Aberdeen, Leeds and Cardiff in 2006 to mark The Queen's 80th birthday.

Last edited:
God Bless Her Majesty and GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!

I'll send my wishes to the Queen and I think I should begin to write something down NOW. I'm

have plans for HM Queen's 80th birthday and who intives on her birthday the Majesties,CP couples,Duke,Grand,etc and includes her children and grandchildren also

Sara Boyce

The Queen yesterday invested Dame Judi Dench with the Insignia of a Companion of Honour at Buckingham Palace:
Pics from Abacausa Press:

Attachments

• 423092.jpg
    423092.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 169
  • 423093.jpg
    423093.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 157
In the second pic (thanks HMQEII) Dame Judy looks very touched. Quite an honour indeed. And doesn't HM look happy and relaxed?

Warren said:
In the second pic (thanks HMQEII) Dame Judy looks very touched. Quite an honour indeed. And doesn't HM look happy and relaxed?

Absolutely!

I adore Dame Judi and can imagine how touched she shall be by such a gesture. Can you imagine standing in your sovereign lady's private audience room in 'Buck House', recieving a decoration and engageing in conversation with the Queen herself. I would faint for sure....

"MII"

The Queen gives warm welcome to dame Judi and Prince Seeiso

The Queen is well-known for her very British sense of reserve and decorum when entertaining guests at Buckingham Palace, but even she couldn't help breaking into a grin when Dame Judi Dench stopped by this week.

Her Majesty presented the renowned actress with a very special prize on Wednesday afternoon. The Oscar-winning star became one of only 65 people to be given the title Companion of Honour, which is reserved for those whose achievements are considered to be of national importance....

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/10/27/judidench/

Photo: © Empics
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/10/27/judidench/imgs/dench-dop1a.jpg
Prince Seeiso, who hosted Harry's trip to Lesotho, is greeted by the sovereign
Photo: © Empics
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/10/27/judidench/imgs/dench-dop2a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just wondering how any other languages does the Queen speak?

(Sorry if this is a repeat question. Please delete if there is another thread already dealing with this topic)

Re:

So, we now have Dame Judi Dench, CH, DBE, OBE

She must be fed up of getting new letterheads printed.

BeatrixFan said:
So, we now have Dame Judi Dench, CH, DBE, OBE

She must be fed up of getting new letterheads printed.
I think that one drops OBE from his post-nominals when appointed KBE.

Re:

Unless you like showing off :)

BeatrixFan said:
Unless you like showing off :)
Ah, those orders... :)

By the way, it is incomprehensible to me that Robert Edwards, the great British physiologist who developed in vitro fertilisation, is only a Commander of the Order of the British Empire... :confused:

Mapple said:
It is incomprehensible to me that Robert Edwards, the great British physiologist who developed in vitro fertilisation, is only a Commander of the Order of the British Empire... :confused:
Perhaps you could forward a Nomination to the appropriate authorities? :)

Re:

Apparantly, by submitting a nomination you could actually blacklist a person if the authoritiesin charge of honours think it's a self-nomination. It's the same with garden parties. If you write to BP and ask to be invited then you go on a blacklist and you'll never get an invite!

LadyS said:
I was just wondering how any other languages does the Queen speak?(Sorry if this is a repeat question. Please delete if there is another thread already dealing with this topic)
English and French

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
Apparantly, by submitting a nomination you could actually blacklist a person if the authoritiesin charge of honours think it's a self-nomination. It's the same with garden parties. If you write to BP and ask to be invited then you go on a blacklist and you'll never get an invite!
Well, maybe Dr Edwards himself doesn't want any other post-nominals than CBE... :)

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh today attended a Memorial Service for the London 7th July Bombings Victims:
Pictures from ANP-Photo/Getty Images:
I just wondered normally when Her Majesty and The Duke of Edinburgh attend functions, or anything else, Her Majesty often being on the right side, like she can seat when they arriving,...always on the right side,but for these particular Service the one that for Tsunami Memorial Service in May and this Memorial Service, Her Majesty sat on the left side and The Duke in the right side?:confused:

Attachments

• 3150209.jpg
    3150209.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 3150371.jpg
    3150371.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 3150378.jpg
    3150378.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 3150379.jpg
    3150379.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 136
  • 3150410.jpg
    3150410.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 159
  • 3150486.jpg
    3150486.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 56041402.jpg
    56041402.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 161
  • 56041414.jpg
    56041414.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 155
Britain's Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth II attend National Service of Remembrance for victims of July 7 bombings in London, November 1

www.newscom.com

ROYAL INSIGHT:

PRINCE PHILIP WRITES ABOUT THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH AWARD

"THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH'S AWARD AT 50
clear.gif

With The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme already gearing up for its 50th anniversary celebrations in 2006, His Royal Highness writes about the history of and the principles behind the award which bears his name. "

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1729.asp

The queen looked very sad in some pictures by gettyimages of the memorial service.

ElisaR said:
ROYAL INSIGHT:

PRINCE PHILIP WRITES ABOUT THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH AWARD

"THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH'S AWARD AT 50
clear.gif

With The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme already gearing up for its 50th anniversary celebrations in 2006, His Royal Highness writes about the history of and the principles behind the award which bears his name. "

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1729.asp

so what do you have to do in order to win an award? Why do so many people seen to not like his award?

Elise27 said:
The queen looked very sad in some pictures by gettyimages of the memorial service.

I am beginning to feel that Her Majesty is disturbed by this awful trend of terrorism and is showing it more publicly. Her Majesty is no stranger to warfare and terrorism, but I feel the way things are now, she has been emotionally affected. Perhaps with age, Her Majesty has become tired of all the horrible things she has had to see in her life since her girlhood and WWII.

Harry's polo shirt said:
so what do you have to do in order to win an award? Why do so many people seen to not like his award?

As for your second question, I can't really give you an answer, other than people are always keen to criticise an organisation, demanding that it explain why it hasn't achieved something, rather than celebrating what it has achieve.

Your first question though, is easier to answer. For clarification, one doesn't 'win' an award. Someone is 'awarded' and award, having earned it. One 'wins' a raffel, sports game etc. The Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme, was introduced by HRH THe Prince Philip Duke of Edinburgh in 1956, with the aim of ensuring members of the coming generations, whould have the highly prized values of Courage, Initiative, Teamwork, Discipline etc instilled in them through persuing the aims of the award (devoted mainly to service and physical endeavour). The idea is most associated with His Royal Highness' time spent at school, with the German philosopher Kurt Hahn as his Head Master.

tiaraprin said:
I am beginning to feel that Her Majesty is disturbed by this awful trend of terrorism and is showing it more publicly. Her Majesty is no stranger to warfare and terrorism, but I feel the way things are now, she has been emotionally affected. Perhaps with age, Her Majesty has become tired of all the horrible things she has had to see in her life since her girlhood and WWII.

I would think she would be disturbed she is human and she does care about people.

Mary Wellesley

tiaraprin said:

I would also think St.Paul's Cathedral holds powerful memories for her too.Charles and Diana were married there,the Queen's Golden Jubilee Thanksgiving Service was there at which she still had her mother remember?Throughout it all our Queen keeps going... one foot steadily in front of the other.Where she finds the strength sometimes I wonder.

Mary Wellesley said:
I would also think St.Paul's Cathedral holds powerful memories for her too.Charles and Diana were married there,the Queen's Golden Jubilee Thanksgiving Service was there at which she still had her mother remember?Throughout it all our Queen keeps going... one foot steadily in front of the other.Where she finds the strength sometimes I wonder.

The Golden Jubilee Thanksgiving Service took place on 4th June 2002. The Queen Mum died on March 31st that year. Therefore the Queen would not still have had her mother present. In fact, by the time of the service, she would have had the sad year in which she buried both her mother and sister between the actually anniversary of her succession and the Thanksgiving Service.

seto said:
I would think she would be disturbed she is human and she does care about people.
Yes but it still is odd sometimes to see her moved, I am sure she has feelings like anyone else, but she keeps those emotions in tight control, she doesnt show what she feels all the time but in those pictures it is very obvious that she is sad and could feel the pain of the families of the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom