Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand, if the knighthoods means very little, why does it matter who it's awarded to? Plus it's an honorary award seeing as Philip is not Australian.

Was there this much of a fuss when Charles received said award?

Why?

What has he done FOR AUSTRALIA? Nothing that I can think of other than walk a few steps behind his wife for over 60 years.

This is not a good, or sensible, decision by the PM. Even his own party members don't support this decision and all it does in show how out of touch with ordinary Aussies the PM is.

I have some republican friends who are rejoicing at this decision as it is raising the profile of the republican movement again, along with the oppositions call for a renewal of the republican debate in his Australia Day address.

His Royal Highness as put in many years of service and duty in Australia. It's an honor well deserved. Also, his life is nearing is coming to a conclusion, so it's only right to give him his flowers and honors while he can still appreciate it.

Last edited:
I particularly like this article:No Cookies | Herald Sun

His Royal Highness as put in many years of service and duty in Australia. It's an honor well deserved.

In what alternate universe did these many years of service and duty in Australia occur such that this foreigner would deserve to be honoured for it above all but one of our own citizens? What has he done for Australia? I don't think keeping our foreign Head of State happy for over 60 years qualifies. He was doing that anyway as consort to the British Queen, not out of any sense of duty to Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what alternate universe did these many years of service and duty in Australia occur such that this foreigner would deserve to be honoured for it above all but one of our own citizens? What has he done for Australia? I don't think keeping our foreign Head of State happy for over 60 years qualifies. He was doing that anyway as consort to the British Queen, not out of any sense of duty to Australia.

He's not being honored above anyone. Many of Australian's will receive the Knighthood as well.

Prince Philip is a great bloke who deserves this knighthood-
Prince Philip is a great bloke who deserves this knighthood

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not being honored above anyone. Many of Australian's will receive the Knighthood as well.

No, many Australians will not receive a knighthood.

Firstly it is restricted to only 4 knights and dames being created each year.

Secondly, the next prime minister is likely to abolish the award as the derision meted out to the Prime Minister from even his own party when the reintroduction was announced shows that hardly anyone supports it.

Thirdly, Prince Philip does not meet the requirements for the award;

and finally, there are far more meritorious Australians who should be honoured before Prince Philip. One who immediately springs to my mind is nobel prize winner Professor Peter Doherty. His contribution to mankind far outstrips that of Prince Philip. I'm sure the other Australians on this board can come up with their own names.

Thanks Victoria B -

I can't come to terms with why Prince Philip is given this award either, he's not Australian, and so many Australians would be more deserving.

Last edited:
I don't think we should have knights and dames at all in our Australian Honours system, and I don't think we will for much longer. They should never have been re-introduced; that was a retrograde step.

Here is a list of this years Honours recipients with background details: https://www.gg.gov.au/australia-day-2015-honours-list

I have no quarrel with Angus Houston being recognised for his achievements, but he already had an AC. Why on earth should the Queen's husband be recognised and honoured above any of the people who were awarded ACs or AOs this year?

Canada doesn't have knighthoods but Prince Philip was named a Companion of the Order of Canada and a Commander of the Order of Military Merit, the highest honours we bestow and no one here batted an eyelash at the decision outside of Quebec

I think The Duke of Edinburgh is very deserving of his Australian knighthood

The mere existence of the Order of Canada and Order of Military Merit isn't an issue, though. Knighthoods were just brought back to the Order of Australia last year, and that was controversial enough on its own.

A good article by Scott Coleman who is a member of the Australian Monarchist League. I agree with everything he writes.

Prince Philip is a great bloke who deserves this knighthood

Some republicans and social media obsessives, upset and bewildered at the dwindling support for a republic in Australia, have criticised the fact that a non-resident has been recognised with an Order of Australia. This is absurd. Many incredible people, including Nelson Mandela and Mother Theresa, have been recognised for their outstanding contributions to humanity with an Order of Australia, even though they don't call Australia home.

Was it not Bob Hawke, a republican prime minister, who recommended that Prince Philip receive what was then Australia's highest honour? It is rare indeed for anyone to show the level of commitment to service of Prince Philip, and the award announced on Australia Day was entirely appropriate, recognising the service of a great bloke to a great nation.

Duty and service have been the hallmarks of the life of Prince Philip, whose vitality and enthusiasm throughout his long life have helped immeasurably to contribute to the success of the hundreds of charities which have him as their patron in Australia. His passionate commitment to humanitarian endeavours and conservation has won him respect and admiration worldwide.

Prince Philip made his first visit to Australia in the 1940s during World War II while serving in the Royal Navy, and he has made it a regular port of call ever since.

The Prince has visited these shores 23 times (seven of them flying solo), criss-crossing the nation and meeting people from all walks of life, his last visit being in 2011 at the age of 90. He has been central to pivotal events in the life of our nation, including the 1956 Melbourne Olympics, the 1962 Perth Commonwealth Games, the opening of the Sydney Opera House in 1973, and the bicentenary in 1988, just to name a few.

Never one to shirk the responsibility of service to the community, Prince Philip founded the Duke of Edinburgh's Award scheme in 1956 which has helped tens of thousands of young Australians reach their potential and encouraged them to serve their community.

As the husband of the Queen of Australia, Prince Philip has been a constant source of strength and support, and together they have served the people of Australia with dignity, compassion and good humour for more than 62 years. This is one of the reasons why support for a republic remains at record lows (particularly among the young) and why the royal family's popularity is undiminished.

Here is a link for a Wikipedia article on knight/damehoods in Australia. Apparently, the Prince of Wales got his knighthood in 1981: -

List of Knights and Dames of the Order of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Damehoods appear to be very rare. I have no objection to awards at all, but they should not be followed by controversy and be awarded only after very careful consideration and approval.

They are all rare simply because they (knighthoods and damehoods) were only awarded for 8 years (1975 to 1983) before they were abolished.

This was always going to be controversial. The reintroduction of knighthoods was controversial to start with but then to award it to a Briton who is not particularly warmly regarded here was bound to set the teeth on edge. In my office today it is being treated as a joke. I don't think Prince Philip is deserving of the award but I also don't think he deserves to be a joke which, unfortunately, our prime minister has made him.

Those who believe that Philip is a joke should be ashamed of themselves. I feel sick when I see Australian journalists who lack knowledge about how the monarchy works, lashed out against the royal family and says the stupidest things.

Philip is not a joke, or wasn't before news of this ridiculous gong got out. If he is perceived as a joke then that is all Tony Abbott's fault. Giving Philip an Australian knighthood is a joke though and the absurdity of that has, unfortunately, rubbed off onto Philip so he is now part of the joke.

How the monarchy works in the UK is totally irrelevant to how it works here. It is only how it works here that is relevant to Australians, and our Head of State's husband has no role here at all and has made no contribution whatsoever to Australia-as-Australia rather than Australia as one of his wife's realms.

I think our journalists and writers and entertainers of the sort featured in that first video certainly know how it all hangs together. (The second video didn't play for me.) Kathy Lette, in particular, has first hand experience of it, being friends with certain members of the BRF and living in the UK for most of the year and moving in "U" circles with her husband, Geoffrey Robertson QC.

Tony Abbott is the real joke here [ridiculed the WORLD over], yet you Aussies elected him your PM...

Last edited:
I think if people bothered to sit down and think about Philip's association with Australia, then people would understand why the PM put Prince Philip's name forward for this Knighthood.

Tony Abbott has not made The Duke of Edinburgh a part of any joke. I think the joke is on those who's overreacting on Prince Philip receiving such an honor. There will be many deserving Australian's who will go on to receive the Knighthood. The honor hasn't been used up on Prince Philip.

I'm in the US and thought it was nice that Philip was recognized as a knight for his contribution to Australia. Reading more, I got to figure out it was a lot to do with the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme he started. Maybe over all the years and the way the the scheme worked in Australia made it deserving. I don't know. I'm an outsider.

I do have to thank you all for pointing out the differences of opinion. I now realize more how Australians feel and to be honest, as an American I can opine my opinion I'd rather have someone like QEII as a "official" head of state and outside of politics, I realize our right to voice how things are done. In our own neighborhood, one that lives there knows it best.

Shortly after the 6th February. She always spends her Ascension Day at Sandringham so she should be back in London next week.

@RoyalCentral: The Queen requested to see Kristin Scott Thomas's portrayal of Her Majesty in The Audience. It chronicles her weekly meetings w/ her PM's.

@RoyalCentral: The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will open the new South Lynn Fire Station in King's Lynn, Norfolk today.

@RoyalCentral: The Queen requested to see Kristin Scott Thomas's portrayal of Her Majesty in The Audience. It chronicles her weekly meetings w/ her PM's.

How interesting! I wonder if HM will watch the performance in the theatre at a regular performance, or have a private showing?

Is it just me or does she look more like her mum in this color? Nice smiles today!

Video:
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh have been to the new South Lynn Fire Station where Her Majesty unveiled a plaque to officially open the fire station-

Home - ITNSource News

Is it just me or does she look more like her mum in this color? Nice smiles today!

She look like her mother is some ways, but she remind me more of her grandmother, Queen Mary.

Last edited:
It might be just me but the Queens coats always look too big for her.
The shoulders appear to be way too wide and they are shapeless. I'm not asking for anything at all figure hugging at her age that would be terrible but something fitting better on her shoulders
Unless there could be a medical reason for it covering something

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

@RoyalCentral: The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will open the new South Lynn Fire Station in King's Lynn, Norfolk today.

First- First article- Lovely! The Queen looks divine!
Second article- First picture- priceless! Love the Duke's tie!
Second- Didn't Helen Mirren star in the play? And Robert Hardy before he fell? So now the monarch is going, and 2 of my favorite actors won't be there? Figures.:argh: :rolleyes:
Third- Nice pictures, but really dislike HM outfit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom