Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Edinburgh today presented Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Awards at Hillsborough Castle, Northern Ireland, and was subsequently entertained to Luncheon. Some fantastic photos on the DofE Northern Ireland Facebook page -

https://www.facebook.com/DofENorthernIreland

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

His and hers statues of the Queen and Prince Philip unveiled at Canterbury Cathedral - but are they a good likeness?
Queen and Prince Philip statues unveiled at Canterbury Cathedral | Daily Mail Online

Video:
The Queen has unveiled statues of herself and the Duke of Edinburgh at Canterbury Cathedral to mark her Diamond Jubilee. Carved by sculptor Nina Bilbey, the striking figures capture the royal couple looking more youthful and wearing garter robes. The statues weigh around half a ton each and were created from French limestone by Ms Bilbey, whose commissions also include statues at Hampton Court Flower Show and St Pancras railway station in London-

Home - ITNSource News

Belga

Belga Image - Editorial

Zimbio

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/VDDYndTZfIE/Queen+Duke+Edinburgh+Visit+Kent/cP2TKxGxOPd/Queen+Elizabeth+II

Video:
The Queen has attended a launch at Windsor Castle for a project that will see the private papers of King George III digitised for online access. The project is in collaboration with King's College London. .

Home - ITNSource News

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 2h 2 hours ago
The Queen will pay a visit the Duchy of Lancaster on 29 May. Since 1399, the title Duke of Lancaster has been held by the reigning Sovereign

The Queen & Prince Philip will visit the Chelsea Flower Show on 18 May. Her Majesty is Patron of the Royal Horticultural Society.

There can't be many 88 years olds horse riding! I'm so glad she is still able to do it and hopefully she can keep it up for years to come. The horses are gorgeous.

Always good to see Her Majesty out riding.

The DM is amazing, too. This story is almost identical to one which appeared on June 2, 2014!
The Queen rides out on her Fell pony in Windsor Great Park | Daily Mail Online

I had never heard the story about the Queen galloping down the course at Ascot in 1961. (according to this paragraph, included in both stories: Since then, the royal stables have been home to a succession of steeds, among them Betsy, a black farm-bred horse who was her mount of choice in the 50's, and Surprise, a grey gelding whom the Queen famously galloped down the course at Ascot in 1961.)

Tomorrow The Queen & Prince Philip hold a luncheon for Members of the Order of Merit, at Windsor Castle.

The Order of Merit is a special honour given to individuals of great achievement in the fields of the arts, learning, literature and science

Video:
The Queen has hosted a luncheon at Windsor Castle today, for members of the Order of Merit. The Order is a special honour awarded to individuals for outstanding achievement in the field of arts, learning, literature and science. Amongst those attending today’s event were playwright Sir Tom Stoppard and the natural history broadcaster Sir David Attenborough-

http://news.itnsource.com/?SearchTerm=THE QUEEN HOSTS THE ORDER OF MERIT AT WINDSOR CASTLE

One has (almost) won! Nerves get the better of the Queen as her horse gallops home to a second place finish at the Newbury races-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-cheers-horse-second-place-Newbury-races.html

Last edited:
What a splendid color! Her Majesty always looks wonderful in bold, and bright colors.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Royal Parks @theroyalparks · 3m 3 minutes ago
There will be a 41 Royal Gun Salute in #HydePark tomorrow at 12:00 to mark Her Majesty the Queen's birthday.
https://twitter.com/theroyalparks/status/590176300956053504

Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 9m 9 minutes ago
The Queen's birthday tomorrow will be marked with gun salutes (12pm Hyde Park, 1pm Tower of London) and National Anthem on BBC Radio 2 & 4.

Last edited:
Royal Central @RoyalCentral · 24m 24 minutes ago
The Queen today Invested The Duke of Edinburgh with the Insignia of a Knight of the Order of Australia at Windsor Castle.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 53m 53 minutes ago
Australia's high commissioner, Alexander Downer, was present at the ceremony. Philip's knighthood prompted a political row in Australia.

"@BBCPeterHunt: The Queen gives her husband an Australian knighthood: "
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/status/590857808033099776

Last edited:
:previous:
Gettyimages.co.uk picture gallery

Queen Elizabeth hands the Duke of Edinburgh his knighthood of Australia insignia
Article and picture

Queen presents Duke of Edinburgh with his controversial Australian knighthood (because if there's one thing Philip needs, it's another gong)
dailymail.co.uk

It's a gorgeous Order! That gold work is splendid, indeed. Certainly, Her Majesty checked it out closely. I love the ribbon.

It is even more 'gorgeous' when seen up close. My brother has an Order of Australia (not the knighthood of course).

The Queen, is Head of the Order and so has her own full set of the medals as does Charles who has been a knight since the early 80s.

This elderly couple have contributed so much over a span of many years that I find it truly disgusting that there are people who would be so negative over this knighthood. It's pretty clear that this will probably be the last time such a thing is done.

On another note: does anyone know who are the portraits in the background of these pictures? They are very handsome.

He is NOT an Australian. That is why Australians are upset over him getting this award. Fortunately this award has seen the power to make awards removed from the PM and left only to an independent organization. He is simply put - a FOREIGNER.

This elderly couple have contributed so much over a span of many years that I find it truly disgusting that there are people who would be so negative over this knighthood. It's pretty clear that this will probably be the last time such a thing is done.

Precisely what has this foreign man done for Australia during his life to warrant us giving him our highest honour? Our highest honour! As far as I can find out, he has been here 10 times during his wife's reign and was here twice before while he was in the navy, but those two early visits hardly count since they were in the course of his duties as a British naval officer. His visits as Duke of Edinburgh have mainly been to open things or accompany his wife.

In my opinion the granting of this highest Australian honour to this man is nothing more than toadyism and I find it hugely embarrassing.

Ask the Dutch, Norwegians etc., what he has done. He is the Consort of HM Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth. I understand that many Australians wish to become independent but until that happens would it be so horrible to honor a 92 year old man who has served the Commonwealth. I suspect I shouldn't ask the question as I'm sure of the answer.

The Dutch and Norweigians are free to give Philip a gong if they want to, but their opinions of him have absolutely no bearing on what Australia does. Philip might have done a lot for the Commonwealth, too, and I'm sure he has. It was his job. The Commonwealth can give him a gong if it wishes. Can the Commonwealth give gongs? I don't know. But that has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not Philip deserves an Australian knighthood.

By the way, Australia is independent. We are a totally independent nation and have been since at least 3 March 1986 when the Australia Acts came into force. What is still in issue is the question of when we become a republic rather than a constitutional monarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom