Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 26: December 2014 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HM The Queen after 65 years on the throne knows how to comport herself, treat everyone with respect and dignity and never, ever lets her personal opinion of a person she's hosting to be known.

She'll do just fine. :D

If the British government tell HM to host Trump she will comply as that is what she has to do.

She has hosted some pretty awful dictators over the years at the insistence of the British government.

She can't say 'no' as that would be a dereliction of duty. She is bound to do what she is told to do by the government, just as she says what they tell her to say.

I thought the queen extended the state visit invitation herself to Trump right after the U.S. election in November. The visit has already been delayed because of protests to Trump and the government doesn't want a scene. With the last attack in London Trump's tweets have angered some politicians, having one to call to cancel the state visit.

I haven't seen a statement from Buckingham Palace about this attack. Anything so far?

I've been wondering about this visit since it was announced. :ermm: There hasn't been much about it in the news at all. I have started to assume it wasn't happening.

I thought the queen extended the state visit invitation herself to Trump right after the U.S. election in November. The visit has already been delayed because of protests to Trump and the government doesn't want a scene. With the last attack in London Trump's tweets have angered some politicians, having one to call to cancel the state visit.

I haven't seen a statement from Buckingham Palace about this attack. Anything so far?

Invitations are issued in The Queen's name but the reality is that it is the government who actually issues the invitation.

The Queen can't decide for herself who to invite or where to go - she does what she is told by the government of the day.

As with most state visits, it is announced when a date is set for it and then nothing much about it at all until the time approaches. I don't see a US state visit as being any more or less than all the other state visits that HM hosts on behalf of the British government.

State visits are visiting heads of state or the representative of the head of state of a country. Personalities don't play a part in the decision whether to issue an invitation or not. Foreign policy does however. ;)

True, regardless of who the president is, a state visit will happen. I'm sure Her Majesty enjoys some more than others, it's all just part of the job.

THE QUEEN AND THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH TO VISIT TOWER HAMLETS
Thursday 15th June 2017

Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, will visit Poplar to attend commemorations for the centenary of the bombing of Upper North Street School during the First World War.

On 13 June 1917 a bomb from a German aircraft hit Upper North Street School in Poplar, East London, killing 18 children aged between 5 and 12.
Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will undertake two engagements to mark this important anniversary, including a memorial service and a visit to the site of Upper North Street School, which is now named Mayflower Primary School.

Engagement 1 - Memorial Service, All Saints Church
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a memorial service at All Saints Church on Newby Place, where the funerals of 15 of the children who died in the bombing took place 100 years ago.
The service will be attended by 250 guests, including community faith leaders, local dignitaries and relatives of the children that lost their lives. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will meet guests in the church following the service.

Engagement 2 - Mayflower Primary School
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will visit the site of Upper North Street School, now Mayflower Primary School.
Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will tour the school to meet teachers and students, starting in the reception class, which is where the bomb hit. The Queen and the Duke will view several school projects, including a First World War exhibition display.

Background
At the time of the bombing, King George V sent a personal note to be read at the funeral service of those involved. The message, which was read at All Saints Church on 20th June 1917, said that His Majesty and Queen Mary were thinking of the children's parents and ''their saddened homes, especially today when the bodies of their little ones were laid to rest''.

The King's message continued: ''of young innocent lives, at all times pathetic, is made more so than ever in these tragic circumstances. Their Majesties pray that the mourners may be blessed with God's help and comfort in their sorrow''.
Mayflower Primary School is situated in Poplar, in the East End of London. The school has 385 pupils on roll, from nursery to year 6 and was graded outstanding in the Ofsted inspection in January 2017. The school's motto is ‘Set Sail for Success' and aims for pupils to experience success in their learning, enjoy the sense of adventure learning brings, and to discover how learning changes lives.

World War I - Mayflower Primary School

If the British government tell HM to host Trump she will comply as that is what she has to do.

She has hosted some pretty awful dictators over the years at the insistence of the British government.

She can't say 'no' as that would be a dereliction of duty. She is bound to do what she is told to do by the government, just as she says what they tell her to say.

You're talking about the woman who has had to host African dictators and all sorts of dubious and weird heads of state.

Trump is a walk in the park.

THE QUEEN AND THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH WILL MARK THE 175TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FIRST TRAIN JOURNEY BY A BRITISH MONARCH

Tuesday 13th June 2017

The Queen, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, will mark the 175th anniversary of the first train journey by a British monarch. The Queen and the Duke will travel from Slough to London Paddington on a Great Western Railway train, recreating the historic journey made by Queen Victoria on 13th June 1842.

Background:
Prior to travelling, Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will pass through the original waiting room at Slough Railway Station, which was also used by Queen Victoria. They will view a historical timeline of the Great Western Railway and a related art project by local schoolchildren.

The royal party will then board GWR's new Intercity Express train, which is due to enter passenger service later this year. Accompanying the Queen and the Duke on the journey will be descendants of Daniel Gooch, who drove the original locomotive (Phlegethon), and Isambard Kingdom Brunel, the celebrated engineer who designed the Great Western Railway line and assisted Daniel Gooch during the 1842 journey.
The new train's two leading vehicles are to be called Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria. On arrival at London Paddington, Her Majesty will take part in a short unveiling ceremony.

Let's hope it's swifter and less bumpy than in 1842! Albert, who had a delicate stomach, suffered from motion sickness on the train and was unsettled at the speed of it--44 miles an hour! He requested they go slower on the journey back. His wife loved it. She wrote crushingly, 'I find the motion so very easy, far more so than a carriage and cannot understand how anyone can suffer from it.'

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh travelled from Slough to London Paddington on a Great Western Railway train today, June 13, to mark the 175th anniversary of the first train journey by a British monarch (see the posts above):

** gettyimages gallery **

** dailymail: Full steam ahead! The Queen is summery in peach as she boards a new express train at Slough..**

Here's a video from the Train journey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld6UArph1LA&feature=push-u&attr_tag=6Ngg_ZAOwjWUbxGJ-6

Last edited:
Bother the mail. The Queen was in "Happy Grandma" mode when she visited the school. In almost every shot she smiling and totally engaged in what's going on. :wub:

Meanwhile, the Duke, asking what I thought was a fair question, seemed to cause chaos by it. The worst part of it is I don't think the teacher knew what he actually meant by "writing" anyway. :pigsfly:

:previous:

It never gets boring with the Duke of Edinburgh, does it? ;)

Queen Elizabeth received Milos Zeman, the President of the Czech Republic, accompanied by his wife and daughter at Buckingham Palace this afternoon, June 16:

** Pic ** gettyimages gallery **

The Queen has released an official statement on her Birthday commenting on the "sombre National mood" after three terror attacks and the Grenfell tower block fire.

I don't recall the Queen releasing such a statement on other birthdays but I could be wrong, either way I don't recall it being such a poignant message.

London fire: Queen reflects on 'sombre national mood' - BBC News

Furthermore many point out the Queen has shown politicians of all parties the best way to respond to a disaster. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40304876
(IMO its a little easier for the Queen as people don't often like politicians especially so close to an election, but that said HM has perfected her response to such disasters after the criticism she herself faced in the 90s)

A lot has changed in the last 20 years. There isn't much the RF can do in a physically pratical way in the face of disaster other than be there. The Queen and William did just that. Little things can go a long way, it won't change anything or help the grieving process, but it will be remembered, she was there.

Definitely a vision in bright colors :flowers:

I am sure they both quite enjoyed thenselves. Might not be racing but still :)

Everytime I see Her Majesty smiling there is one song in my ears: Stevie Wonder's "Isn't she lovely?"

She has a very wonderful smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom