Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 23: July 2011-June 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a hard time imagining an 85 year old woman asking for fashion advice from a 30 year old woman, especially since The Queen has her own inhouse designer. I don`t doubt that HM takes a casual interest in what Catherine wears as part of her official work but that is different than taking advice.

I would assume that the queen has a say as to what she will wear and the accessories that go along with the outfit. I would think she approves of what Catherine wears but has no interest in wearing something that is out of her comfort zone. Although she has surprised every now and then. I think she would stick to what she likes unless its a new hat that had a new twist to it. :)

Queen Elizabeth attended an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace today, March 14, 2012.

** Pic **

So who is the woman receiving from the Queen? Someone famous?

Not somebody I recognise as being "famous". This person receiving their honour could be an ordinary everyday person who has done something exceptional to be recognised by The Queen. People who are involved in the investitures are not always famous.

The lady in the picture is Shirley Woodman. Mrs. Woodman received her MBE for services to the community in Yorkshire.
She is not a celebrity in the conventional sence of the would, although she is certainly a most admirable and courageous lady, and one who deserved the award much more than most of the celebrities who get it.

You can read more about her, and the reason she was awarded MBE, in this article.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip arrive for the official reopening of Kensington Palace on March 15, 2012 in London, England. After a GBP £12 million refurbishment, he historic royal palace will reopen to the public on March 26, and later in the year will become home to Prince William, Duke of Cambridge and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh also met with representatives of charity Age Concern, as well as with children from St Mary's Abbots School.

Gallery from Zimbio
Gallery from Getty

Last edited:
I wonder, what could have possibly captured Her Majesty's attention in picture number two? Her smile in the third photo is extremely gentle and grandmotherly.

Interesting list, Martina, thanks for posting. I'd love to be a fly on the wall regarding #28; it seems Prince Phillip isn't the only one with a temper in that marriage!

I'd like to add two more facts to the list. Not only can HM drive, but she probably knows what goes on under a hood (or bonnet), having trained during World War II as a car mechanic in the Auxiliary Territorial Service. And she's also quite an excellent mimic, usually entertaining close family and friends with her ace impressions of the current figures of the day.

Last edited:
Great list ^^^. I think it's great she's an Ali G fan and likes those who impersonate him. What a woman!

Interesting list, Martina, thanks for posting. I'd love to be a fly on the wall regarding #28; it seems Prince Phillip isn't the only one with a temper in that marriage!

I'd like to add two more facts to the list. Not only can HM drive, but she probably knows what goes on under a hood (or bonnet), having trained during World War II as a car mechanic in the Auxiliary Territorial Service. And she's also quite an excellent mimic, usually entertaining close family and friends with her ace impressions of the current figures of the day.

I remember laughing out loud when I read that story in one of the DM articles that dealt with 'Our Queen'. I have a feeling her temper is probably equal to that of her husband if and when the occasion calls for it.

Great list ^^^. I think it's great she's an Ali G fan and likes those who impersonate him. What a woman!

She strikes me as someone with a sense of humor, so I can only imagine how amused she is at things like that.

Wanted: A butler for the Queen. Must be discreet and able to carry a breakfast tray. Salary: £15,000 | Mail Online

What are they thinking - what kind of person would be able to have a life on this kind of salary IN LONDON!

The kind that's being given free room and board in London's most expensive postcode. The amount of money the successful applicant will save by not having to pay rent, council tax, commuting expenses, food bills etc. etc. would be worth at least £10k per year as a very conservative estimate.

That's before you take into account the fact that being able to put 'Butler to HM the Queen at Buckingham Palace' on one's CV will guarantee the holder jobs for life when they leave HM's employ.

Where does my husband sign up? What an opportunity and how exciting. I think the benefits outway the amount paid for the reasons given by EIIR. It would be a privilage. :)

The way I understand it, this is ALL profit. The employees, room and board expenses are covered, and according to the article, "very generous". So being able to put the palace on your resume, it says that this type of position could "command 100,000 pounds in the private sector". So its short term loss for long time gain, imo.

I believe that the Queen employs rather a lot of young people from the Commonwealth. It makes sense when you think about it - spend a year, say, living and working in Buckingham Palace close to all of London's amenities and Continental Europe for your time off. Add on the cache of being able to say you worked for the Queen, it's a win win. Certainly beats what most young people from Australia/New Zealand/South Africa end up doing when they come over here - pulling pints in a pub.

Queen Elizabeth attended an Investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace today, March 22, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I'm really interested in the recipients here. Does anyone know who they are?

Last edited:
The 2nd picture is Geoffrey Ashe. He's an historian and author, writing several books on the legend of King Arthur.

I'm afraid I don't know who the 1st person is.

Thank you! Now the young lady intrigues me in her sneakers and what looks like a crutch at her side.

Last edited:
The woman in the first picture is Kirsty Ashton

Inspirational fundraiser Kirsty Ashton, 21, awarded MBE in New Year Honours | Manchester Evening News - menmedia.co.uk
"Brave Kirsty Ashton, who has defied her own crippling illness to raise nearly £100,000 for sick children, has been honoured by the Queen. Kirsty joined a glittering list of celebrities on the New Year Honour's list after scooping an MBE aged just 21. She suffers from neurofibramatosis – meaning painful tumours grow on her back and must be removed several times a year."

Thank you for that information, Thain. What an incredible story. She's a brave young lady indeed to go through such horrific battles with her condition and yet be determined enough to raise money and bring awareness to life-threatening illnesses.

BOB, I may be mistaken, but I believe, Kirsty also met Princess Diana, at a fundraiser when she was younger!
2 things struck me here- how good that color looks on HM., and how good she seems to be at putting people with disabilities at ease....
But then she's had 60 years of practice....;):)

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Rose. It's true that the Queen looks like she's very good at putting people at ease of various ages, walks of life and their particular situations. Here, she looks like she's buttoning up Kirsty's jacket rather than pinning the honor on it. She has such a look of solicitude on her face ("We can't have you getting chilly, dear, BP is such a drafty place"), and Kirsty is just beaming away. I'm sure the Queen was just as delighted to honor a recipient as young and noteworthy as Kirsty as she was to receive that honor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom