Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 2: April-August 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Aristocracy
Recently I have read some articles about British accent. I found some webs were it is said that Queen Elizabeth accent is changing.

Queen accent 1

Queen accent 2

Queen accent 3

I am learning English and I can’t distinguish between different English accents. Jennifer López for example sounds a little strange, it seems to me that she has no intonation.
What kind of accent have Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Cary Grant, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson, Gwyneth Paltrow etc. I suppose Mary Donaldson has Australian accent, but What kind of accent have Queen Rania and Alexandra of Denmark when speaking English?. What is your favourite accent?.

i've only hear mary talking in english because i can't see the videos in .ram formats. however, as far as i have heard she talks with a very neutral accent, doesn't she? i like to hear people talking in british english more than in american english... but i don't really like celtic accents very much. :huh:

Hi Meg,

im sure what about Princess Diana's british accent? and Prince William's British accent and more member of British Royal Family? if you have find out ?

let me know about it

Sara Boyce

Originally posted by Meg@Apr 25th, 2004 - 1:01 pm
Recently I have read some articles about British accent. I found some webs were it is said that Queen Elizabeth accent is changing.

Queen accent 1

Queen accent 2

Queen accent 3

I am learning English and I can’t distinguish between different English accents. Jennifer López  for example sounds a little strange, it seems to me that she has no intonation.
What kind of accent have Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Cary Grant, Hugh Grant, Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson,  Gwyneth Paltrow etc. I suppose Mary Donaldson has Australian accent, but What kind of accent have Queen Rania and Alexandra of Denmark when speaking English?. What is your favourite accent?.
I'm not certain about the movie stars and celebrities you named, but English accents vary widely. Especially in America [not sure about England].
For example, I have what is called a "Pittsburgh accent" [since, of course, that's where I'm from]. I speak too quickly, leave the "g" off of words ending in "ing" [I say "thinking" like "thin-kin", but actually, a lot of people do that], and have a bit of a broad "a" [instead of saying "downtown", what I say sounds like "dahhhhntahhn"]. In other words, I'm sometimes hard to understand.
I currently live near Charlotte, North Carolina, so I'm in the southern US. Here they have the ubiquitous southern accent- and it's hard for me to understand people here sometimes. Southerners have a very twangy, nasal accent and, in my opinion, speak much more slowly than me. "Y'alllllll....."
Then of course, you have people from, say, Rhode Island- they replace the "a" on the ends of words with an "er" [for example, instead of saying "formula" they say "formuler", "pizza" is "pizzer"]. A purse to them is a "pokkabook", a lawyer is a "loyah". And they, too, have a rather distinct accent, although it's subtle.
Same thing goes for people from different areas of the country- I've heard New York accents, Boston accents, Minnesota accents, California accents [ugh], and West Virginian accents. It's actually pretty interesting, the way some people talk.
In addition to accents, you have dialects- I've met people from Wisconsin who call a water fountain a "bubbler", I myself call a telephone pole a "telepole", a thorn to me is a "jagger", when it's cold out, my friends from South Carolina say it's "airish", and in a way of greeting, my friend Rhys from New Orleans says "Yat?' ["Where are you at?'].

I hope I've provided a bit of insight [at least, on American accents] :) Good luck with your English!
-Kara-

suturegeisha  Posted: Apr 25th, 2004 - 8:15 pm
(Meg @ Apr 25th, 2004 - 1:01 pm)

.... I am learning English and I can’t distinguish between different English accents.
I'm not certain about the movie stars and celebrities you named, but English accents vary widely.
I trust Kara has opened your horizons to accents and dialects, suturegeisha.

There are various ways of speaking english in the USA, but English varies in the UK, Canada, and likely in Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa and so on.

I know that 'New York' is prounced in Boston as if there was no "R", so New Yawk is pretty close. Then in the state of 'Washington', that word is pronounced as if there is an "R" in it, so you'd get something like Worshington. In Kansas, the ending of "Missouri" is changed to Missoura.

In England, there is a different dialect between the city of London (and within) and the different counties around. For instance, the East London dialect of "Cockney" drops the "H" and changes the "th" to "F", so 'Heathrow' comes across as eafrow.

In Australia, the word 'butter' is pronounced as budder.

This does not really have anything to do with accents, but which Kings and Queens speak English?

I think that they all speak English. English is the international language.

Just because we are speaking about accents...I read a study...I'll see if I can look it up for you...anyhow this study determined that the only place in the world without a true accents is Colorado (USA)...which is probably pretty close to true...I'm from Colorado and have traveled quite a bit, and because I don't have any particular way of saying things or any strage "tone" to my voice people have a hard time determining where I come from....

Just thought that was interesting...

Prince Philip takes the reins

The Duke of Edinburgh has shown he is still a master horseman despite his 82 years. During a visit to Wiltshire on Tuesday, the octogenarian - who is a keen carriage-driving competitor - proved he has lost none of his skills, by guiding a horse-drawn drey through the streets of Devizes.

Prince Philip took up the reins during a visit to Wadworth brewery. His appearance was staged to mark the 30th anniversary of the reintroduction of working horses at the firm.

The royal guest was undeterred by rainy weather, braving the elements as many of those around him huddled under umbrellas. He made several deliveries to local public houses before stopping off in one tavern to try his hand at pulling a pint or two.

Wadworth's shire horses have become a familiar and popular sight in the town. The four animals - Wilt, Royal, Buscot and Tom - make deliveries to public houses in the area every weekday morning.
(from hellomagazine.com)

While the rest of his party took shelter under umbrellas, Prince Philip seemed oblivious to the inclement weather

The Duke inspects a pint of Wadsworth brew after testing his skills behind the bar

I know Prince Phillip is Greek, so how is he related to King Constantine?...

AP

LONDON - It didn't require much 007 derring-do, but former James Bond actor Roger Moore came to Queen Elizabeth II's rescue Friday, helping out when technical trouble prevented the monarch from unveiling a plaque.

The queen pressed a button that was supposed to open a set of red curtains in front of a Heathrow airport plaque honoring a charity fund-raising program, but nothing happened.

Moore got up from his seat and crouched down to tug at the drapes, which opened on the second try.

"I wasn't meant to be up there but James Bond has got to do something," Moore said later.

The 76-year-old actor and the queen attended a ceremony commemorating the 10th anniversary of a UNICEF-British Airways program that raises money by asking airline passengers to donate coins and bills of any currency.

Moore, who's an ambassador for UNICEF, the United Nations children's agency, was knighted by the queen last year and said it was great to see her again. "I'm a royalist so I'm always thrilled," he said.

UNICEF uses money from the Change for Good program to help children around the world through efforts such as polio vaccinations in Zambia and aid to street children in Mexico. Officials said it has raised more than $30.6 million.

"It brings hope to children who literally have none," Moore said.

From the BBC, I think it is from today. A nice photo:

Photo

Queen invites fellow octogenarians to her 80th

11 MAY 2004

The Queen is marking her landmark 80th year by inviting British citizens born on her birthdate – April 21, 1926 – to the celebrations.

Though the festivities haven't yet been planned for the 2006 event – and the monarch usually celebrates her birthday privately, with family and friends – senior courtiers are hoping to put together a string of events in which the public may take part.

Apparently, royal advisors would like to see the Queen's birthday, officially honoured in June, become an annual April extravaganza. Her Majesty's mother, Queen Elizabeth, began to celebrate her own birthday publicly starting with her 80th.

"The Queen is a different character, but if she believes the public want to celebrate with her, I am sure she will follow her mother's example," a senior aide told the Daily Express.

All British citizens born on the Queen's birth date – April 21, 1926 – will be invited to the monarch's official 80th birthday celebrations in 2006

Britain's Queen Elizabeth meets British Airways dignitaries during a visit to Heathrow Airport in London, May 7, 2004, to mark the 10th anniversary of UNICEF and British Airways' Change for Good programme. Under the scheme, air passengers are able to donate unwanted foreign coins and notes during flights, using envelopes found at their seats. Corbis

Queen Elizabeth II

Can someone explain a bit more about the Royal Windsor Horse Show?
what the queen's role for the show?

Originally posted by saxon@May 6th, 2004 - 11:35 pm
I know Prince Phillip is Greek, so how is he related to King Constantine?...
King Constantine 2 and Prince Philip are related in this way:

King Constantine 2 grandfather was Constantine 1 of greece. Constantine 1 had a brother named Andreas who was Philips father

Does anyone have pics of Vietnamese President visit Her Majesty?And pics of Her Majesty at Chelsea Flower Sholw?I didn't see photos of her at Getty Images :( Or Getty Images haven't had pics of her at CFS yet?Because sometime:when you visit a hospital on 24-3 but 2 days later or more GI must have pics of you. :(

Celebs in bloom at Chelsea Flower Show

25 MAY 2004

London's green-fingered celebs enjoyed a floral day out on Monday, when the Chelsea Flower Show had its opening.

Lady Helen Taylor came along to help launch a new rose, the Festive Jewel, which is being sold to raise money for charity. And royal visitor Sophie Wessex was meanwhile honoured by having a flower named after her. Her husband Prince Edward wasted no time in procuring one of the new Countess Of Wessex roses to wear in his lapel for the afternoon.

Likewise making a memorable impression was ubiquitous television presenter Carol Vorderman, who released several cages of white doves into the air at the Gardman Wild Bird Garden. "I love the wild look," she enthused. "Because of work I haven't really time to do much. In London we've actually got a roof terrace."

The Queen also got into the spirit of things, by dressing in springtime hues. Her Majesty donned a lime jacket and skirt with a pink and white floral pattern for her afternoon out with husband Prince Philip.

One of the high-points of her tour was a viewing of TV gardener Diarmuid Gavin's A Colourful Suburban Eden. The creation, which features a forest of 5,000 plastic lollipops, was one of the most eye-catching installations at this year's event.

"I told the Queen the garden was fun," said the BBC presenter afterwards. "I said it was 1950s Festival of Britain and the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory and she laughed."

Other VIP guests at the show's preview day included Princess Anne, former Beatle Ringo Starr and newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky.

(hellomagazine.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no photos of it from Getty Images :( .Because in GI i can enlarge these pics

Queen Elizabeth II will be in France commemorating the 60th anniversery of D-Day! How cool is that! I will be as well! I leave for France June 6! I will arrive in France in the morning there too!

:flower: :flower: :flower: :woot: You are sooooooooooooooooooooooo lucky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maibe you see her. Take some pics :flower: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Thanks, I know :) If I get to see her I will take pics, Ill use all of my film budget on her! :) and Empress Farah if I see her.... two great women...

Queen Elizabeth and Empress Farah :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:
This is what i call a very nice duple. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

have more HM Queen and King will be there France for d-day?

let me know

Sara Boyce

No,Sarah.There will be only 3 Royals:Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip,Queen Beatrix.And some people:pM of German,British PM,President of France

Beatrix is gonna be there? Cool, I want to see her too. Margarethe isnt going? Farah Pahlavi not going? If not she will be in Paris when I am...

No,Lord Williams.The President of France didn't invite Margrethe and Farah.Only 3 Royals whom i have told.I remember that i have read a magazine told that Beatrix will attend the D-Day on 6th June.

Today Her Majesty and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh will attend the Service of The British Empire. :flower:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom