Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 17: January-May 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least it's SOMETHING, honey! In some liberal places in America he'd get probation! :eek:

I thought that too! My first thought was a child molester gets a shorter sentence here. I think he should have gotten a strong sentence, but 6 years seems to long.

Pics 3.2.2008

Prince Philip and Queen Elizabeth at West Newton church
near Sandringham, Norfolk, Britain - 03 Feb 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Great pictures! And we know what is in her handbag :)

I watched a video, were Queen Elizabeth said that people write her letters to get things done when they feel like no one else can. I guess they are trying to get it taken away through her.

Her people will probably just forward it to the relevant authorities, who will probably dismiss it as, as far as I know, the only reason they'll take one away is if the person is convicted of a crime.

That is so silly. I hope he can keep it.
He didn't do the work and deserves to lose it. HM won't get involved though and that is a pity because as it stands, she has knighted a fraudster. :bang:

He didn't do the work and deserves to lose it. HM won't get involved though and that is a pity because as it stands, she has knighted a fraudster. :bang:

It's not so easy when it comes to scientific research. Normally the one whose name appears first on the paper is the one who had the most significant impact in the research, though it all was done in teamwork. But there are hierarchically structures within institutes and so the scientific world normally knows that if the boss of the institute or research department or the professor at university who helds the chair is named first, then they look at the second name as to who actually did the work.

It is not uncommon that the "supervisor" gets the reward for his department - but if they really wanted to knight the man who thought up the way it could have been done, they should simply ask the queen to knight him as well.

Queen Elizabeth Visits RAF Marham,4 Feb 2008.
http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages.c...%7c0&p=7&tag=1

Its kinda funny that the gloves that Phil Osborn were holding looked like they could have gone with HM's outfit, and that the black gloves she was wearing would have looked more natural in his hands.:flowers:

And I do rather like the color on her, but I wish the coat were more, um.....tailored? I think is the word I am looking for.

Helen Mirren wants sequel to 'The Queen'

Helen Mirren wants to film a sequel to 'The Queen.'

The 62-year-old actress would love to make a movie about the golden jubilee of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, which was celebrated in 2002.

====================

Is there really enough plot potential in that?

That would be wonderful. But they would have to find something negative to keep it interestin.. I think they would have trouble with that.

Well, I'm sure the deaths of both Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret could be considered negatives. They both passed away during the Queen's Golden Jubilee year.

Would she come to HM this time when summoned for dinner? :rolleyes:

A property fund backed by an investment arm of the Dubai government has bought prime west London property from the Queen’s portfolio.

Dubai Government buys property from Queen of London:: Gowealthy.com

Doesn't seem a good price!

They do try to make it sound like it's the Queen's private portfolio, don't they? It's part of the Crown Estate. And as stated at the website of the Crown Estate, "We have two main objectives: to benefit the taxpayer by paying the revenue from our assets directly to the Exchequer; and to enhance the value of the estate and the income it generates." and "it is not the private property of the monarch – it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the sovereign."

They do try to make it sound like it's the Queen's private portfolio, don't they? It's part of the Crown Estate. And as stated at the website of the Crown Estate, "We have two main objectives: to benefit the taxpayer by paying the revenue from our assets directly to the Exchequer; and to enhance the value of the estate and the income it generates." and "it is not the private property of the monarch – it cannot be sold by the monarch, nor do revenues from it belong to the sovereign."
But the papers always do that and the article I posted was from the Dubai Government and I expect it made a better headling for them. :flowers: I can't say the Crown Estates have done a good job in enhancing the value of the estate. They seem to have let it go at a very cheap price!

Helen Mirren wants sequel to 'The Queen'

Helen Mirren wants to film a sequel to 'The Queen.'

The 62-year-old actress would love to make a movie about the golden jubilee of Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, which was celebrated in 2002.

====================

Is there really enough plot potential in that?

I would love to see Helen Mirren do a sequel. She was wonderful in 'The Queen.'
Lexi

You're surely right. I guess it would have been too expensive and too tricky in management to convert or restore the site as a hotel - so it's surely better to sell it to investors and invest the money. Or do you want to read that "tourists complain about service in Queen's hotel"? ;)

I found the phrase "The Queen's Hotel" amusing. I've heard the term used to refer to a jail or prison. :D

But the papers always do that and the article I posted was from the Dubai Government and I expect it made a better headling for them. :flowers: I can't say the Crown Estates have done a good job in enhancing the value of the estate. They seem to have let it go at a very cheap price!
What do you think they'll do with it? There has been quite an increase of late of business men asking for very cushy, ritzy hotels and they have money to burn on them for all the amenities they get.

When do the royals leave Sandringham?

It was announced that the Royal Maundy service this year will be held in St Patrick's Cathedral Armagh on 20th March 2008 It is unusal to announce the visit of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh to Northern Ireland prior to the event.

She will be meet by the First Minister Ian Paisley at Armagh

Maybe it will be combined with a visit to the Republic of Ireland???

As it is the 100th anniversary of Queens Univeristy maybe she will making a visit there as well???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom