Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 15: May-July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BeatrixFan said:
No. He was conspicuous by his absence. Edward was in the Falklands which was an odd choice so I'm not sure where Andrew was.

Maybe they invited the Earl of Wessex because of his title and not because if he fought or not. To me it makes more sense that Andrew would be their too.

The Queen's Birthday Honours are out so prepare for a barrage of anti-monarchist crap. A link to the honours in full;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/16_06_07_hons_main.pdf

Some highlights are:

Ian Botham - Knighthood
Salman Rushdie - Knighthood
Barry Humphries (Dame Edna) gets a CBE
Stephan Poliakoff gets a CBE
David Starkey gets a CBE
Jane Tomlinson gets a CBE
Joe Cocker gets an OBE
Ryan Giggs gets an OBE
Peter Sallis gets an OBE
Bill Pertwee gets an MBE

Sylvia Sims also gets an OBE - she played the Queen Mother in "The Queen". Sadly, June Whitfield and Liz Smith were not given anything this year (I'd signed petitions for both to get Damehoods) and Barry Humphries loses out on a Knighthood which I would think was far more appropriate than a CBE. Oh well.

Last edited:
Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence was also made a CB in the Ministry of Defence list.

T and Barry Humphries loses out on a Knighthood which I would think was far more appropriate than a CBE. Oh well.

Would he have been made a "Sir" or would "Dame" Edna finally receive a lawful title?;)

Well, there was a spell when Edna didn't use her Damehood. This was during the Republic referendum and she put herself out as "Mrs Edna Everage" but now she seems happy to use the Damehood again.

Well, there was a spell when Edna didn't use her Damehood. This was during the Republic referendum and she put herself out as "Mrs Edna Everage" but now she seems happy to use the Damehood again.

BTW - did you realise that "Dame" Edna is in fact a "Dr." Edna? I was not really surprised but impressed to see that in the list (am still a believer in academic merits...;)).

I had no idea that BH had a Doctorate or that his name is John and not Barry! I'm glad he got a CBE to add to his AO but I think Sir Barry Humphries would have been nicer.

Whats CB? something in the Military I Imagine

Whats CB? something in the Military I Imagine

Companion of the Order of the Bath. I'm pretty sure it's related to his new rank and position, since it's in the military division of the Order.

Iranian officials have called the Queen an "old crone" and effigies of her have been burned in Pakistan after Tony Blair gave a Knighthood to Salman Rushdie. Well done Mr B. Well done. Once again, he drops people in the crap and does a runner.

Pakistan government intervenes in Rushdie row | International News | News | Telegraph

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | UK's 'deep concern' over Rushdie

The Iranian President said, "The British monarch lives under this illusion that Britain is still a 19th Century superpower and that bestowing titles is something still deemed important"

Well, obviously he thinks it is deemed important or he wouldn't be throwing a girly strop over it. I would protest but as we now have to ask permission to protest, what's the point?

Last edited:
Can Tony Blair give knighthoods? I thought that was something the Queen did.

The honours are recommended by the government; the Queen only has a say over some of the more personal ones like the Royal Victorian order. Not that the Iranians seem to understand. Clever of Tony Blair to do something unpopular that the Queen ends up getting blamed for.

This is total ridiculous in my eyes. I think that it is not to a National Assembly or a Senate to decide whether you can accept the title or not. It is a simple individual to accept the award and not to a government. He is the one being rewarded. I find it sad that the government is not taking this more like a «well done» to one of their citizens.

According to the royal engagements diary, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will visit Belgium on 11 and 12 July. I wonder if this is to make up the state visit that was canceled due to the lead-up to the Iraq war.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will pay an Official Visit and not a State Visit. To bad, their in Belgium, why not have a State Visit while they are there

The funny thing is that the Queen met her own daughter Anne there, so here are two additional pics from today :)

"The Princess Royal, who is Commandant-in-Chief of the First Aid Nursing Yeomany with her mother, Queen Elizabeth II as they arrive to inspect vintage vehicles used by the yeomanry which assembled in the quadrangle of Buckingham Palace, London to mark its centenary."

The Queen and Anne..
..having fun

Lovely pics though Princess Anne looks like an extra from "Foyle's War".

Her Majesty had a very busy day yesterday - first was the inspection vintage vehicles.

Later the day Her Majesty reviewed the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery, with General Sir Alex Harley, as they paraded in Hyde Park, in central London, 28 June 2007, in celebration of their 60th anniversary.

Some pictures of the event:
The Queen poses with members of the King?s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery
The Queen reviews The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery 1
The Queen reviews The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery 2
Queen Elizabeth reviews the parade

Gallery of Pictures from Isifa
Gallery of Pictures from Getty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom