Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 14: February-May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
selrahc4 said:
I really enjoyed reading that, Skydragon. Thanks for posting it.
You are welcome! :flowers:

Pics 29.3.2007

The Duke of Edinburgh is joined by Zoological Society of London acting head of development, Bernadette Benati, as he looks at gorilla Zaire at the opening of the $10 million Gorilla Kingdom at London Zoo, UK on March 28, 2007.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Picture Gallery

Do they still have to use the old guard's bathrooms?!

I Think its possible Especially, William

Queen Elizabeth II invited to address General Assembly

Virginia lawmakers today will formally invite Queen Elizabeth II to speak before a special ceremonial session of the General Assembly on May 3.
"It's a once in a lifetime opportunity," said House Speaker William Howell, R-Stafford, who said he initially broached the idea with the queen during a visit to Great Britain in December. The queen has not yet accepted the invitation. The queen has already announced plans to visit Virginia in May as part of the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement. She last visited Virginia in 1957.

HRH Kimetha said:
Could the Princes, such as Prince Harry, become head of security one day?
Highly unlikely I would have thought. :flowers:

Avalon said:
Queen Elizabeth II invited to address General Assembly

Virginia lawmakers today will formally invite Queen Elizabeth II to speak before a special ceremonial session of the General Assembly on May 3.
"It's a once in a lifetime opportunity," said House Speaker William Howell, R-Stafford, who said he initially broached the idea with the queen during a visit to Great Britain in December. The queen has not yet accepted the invitation. The queen has already announced plans to visit Virginia in May as part of the 400th anniversary of the Jamestown settlement. She last visited Virginia in 1957.

Wow, this is impressive.

I stayed at the hotel where she stayed in Williamsburg, the Williamsburg Inn. It was a beautiful old hotel. On the second floor were full size photos from the reception dinner and dance the Queen had that took place there.

HRH Kimetha said:
Could the Princes, such as Prince Harry, become head of security one day?
It is possible that one day Harry will be made colonel of the Blues and Royals, and thus become one of the Gold Sticks, and ceremonially in charge of the security of the sovereign on ceremonial occasions. I say it will be Harry as William will more than likely be King or Prince of Wales by the time this would happen, as the Princess Royal will more than likely be around for quite some time.

wbenson said:
It is possible that one day Harry will be made colonel of the Blues and Royals, and thus become one of the Gold Sticks, and ceremonially in charge of the security of the sovereign on ceremonial occasions.
As you say, Silver and Gold sticks only serve as ceremonial guards and personal attendants and have very little to do with security, which was how I understood the question.:flowers:

Here are various pictures from Getty Images of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh at the 90th Anniversary Of Battle Of Vimy Ridge Ceremony in France:

Getty Images

Thank you for the link, laduchesse :flowers:

Queen Elizabeth met Canadian war veterans during a ceremony Monday, April 9, 2007 marking the 90th anniversary of a breakthrough World War I victory by Canadian troops over the Germans in Vimy Ridge, Northern France. Elizabeth II, French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper paid homage to the memory of the troops at the battle site of Vimy Ridge where a recently renovated memorial honors Canadians who gave their lives in France.
The Queen also met a group of young Canadians, who were present at the ceremony.

Pictures:
The Queen talking to the veterans 1
The Queen talking to the veterans 2
The Queen talking to the veterans 3
The Queen talking to the veterans 4
The Queen talking to the young Canadians

Last edited:
Avalon said:
Queen Elizabeth met Canadian war veterans during a ceremony Monday, April 9, 2007
And wearing one of her favorite outfits it seems!! From exactly 2 years ago:
Apr 9 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
selrahc4 said:
And wearing one of her favorite outfits it seems!! From exactly 2 years ago:
Apr 9 2005

Lets find a picture of last year on that day to see if she did wear this outfit. :lol: I think she loves the outfit or is it a way to celebrate the second anniversary of her son's second wedding? LOL

I think that it is great to see The Queen commemorate this historic battle in Vimy today. Its is a great honour for the two last WWI veterans still alive in Canada.

We will remember them

Queen honours heroic Canadian contribution in WWI

In a poignant and emotionally uplifting ceremony, the Queen paid tribute to Canada's fallen World War I heroes in France this week. Monday's service marked the rededication of the Vimy Monument, the North American country's most important overseas war memorial.
On the windswept ridge, where 90 years ago Canadian troops won a famous victory, Queen Elizabeth met French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and Canadian premier Stephen Harper.

I didn't think that there were any World War I veterans still alive from Canada.I know that there are no longer any Canadian Victoria Cross recipients alive.

I did read about the Queen's visit to Vimy Ridge.

Aidan.

Paintings by royal father and son

The artistic talents of a royal father and son have gone on show in a unique exhibition at Sandringham House

EDP24 What's On

Skydragon said:

The artistic talents of a royal father and son have gone on show in a unique exhibition at Sandringham House

EDP24 What's On
How nice. :)

[...]The Duke frequently took his paints with him on his travels around the world and a selection of scenes captured on these journeys is also included, as well as a charming study of the Queen at the breakfast table.[...]
I'd love to see that one. :wub:

ElisaR said:
How nice. :)

I'd love to see that one. :wub:

ElisaR, I have it in at least one of my books at home. I'll look it up & let you know which book it is. I don't have a scanner and can't share it, but perhaps you'll be able to find the book.

Skydragon said:

EDP24 What's On

I would love to see both of artists paintings side-by-side to study the similarities as well as both outside and father/son-son/father influences. I also hear that William paints. :)

selrahc4 said:
ElisaR, I have it in at least one of my books at home. I'll look it up & let you know which book it is. I don't have a scanner and can't share it, but perhaps you'll be able to find the book.

Thank you. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom