Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 13: November 2006-Feb 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First female Commanding Officer for the King's Troop

Major Erica Bridge has joined the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery (KTRHA) as it's first female Commanding Officer.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/FirstFemaleCommandingOfficerForTheKingsTroop.htm

Woman major to lead queen's guards

LONDON -- The army unit that guards Queen Elizabeth II has appointed the first woman commander in its 350-year history

http://www.suntimes.com/news/world/213445,CST-NWS-guards17.article

Skydragon said:
First female Commanding Officer for the King's Troop
Thanks for posting that, Skydragon. :flowers: Nice story. The ultimate job for a keen horsewoman. I bet she'll get to wear some fancy ceremonial uniforms.

I note it's called the King's Troop. Anyone know why it's not called the Queen's Troop?

Last edited by a moderator:
I should imagine for the same reason that the King's Door isn't called the Queen's Door - the Queen decided to keep their names in honour of her late father.

Roslyn said:
I note it's called the King's Troop. Anyone know why it's not called the Queen's Troop?

Before World War II, a succession of Horse Artillery Batteries were stationed in London. The last was mechanised in 1939 and it was His Majesty King George VI's express wish that, after the war, a Troop of Royal Horse Artillery, mounted and dressed in the traditional manner, should once more be seen taking part in the great ceremonies of State. On October 24th 1947 His Majesty inspected the then Riding Troop and said that he wished it to be known as His Troop, and Her Majesty has graciously decided that this title shall continue in her reign in recognition of her father's special interest in the Troop.

http://www.army.mod.uk/kingstprha/ceremon.htm

Skydragon said:
Before World War II, a succession of Horse Artillery Batteries were stationed in London. The last was mechanised in 1939 and it was His Majesty King George VI's express wish that, after the war, a Troop of Royal Horse Artillery, mounted and dressed in the traditional manner, should once more be seen taking part in the great ceremonies of State. On October 24th 1947 His Majesty inspected the then Riding Troop and said that he wished it to be known as His Troop, and Her Majesty has graciously decided that this title shall continue in her reign in recognition of her father's special interest in the Troop.

http://www.army.mod.uk/kingstprha/ceremon.htm

Thank you :flowers: I wondered if it had a particular connection with one of the Kings.

I know I could have hunted around myself, but I have dial-up and my computer is being particularly painfully slow at the moment so I took the easy way out and asked. :)

Roslyn said:
I know I could have hunted around myself... so I took the easy way out and asked. :)
It's the next best thing to 'phone a friend'. :D

sirmax said:
I have three questions for you. The first one who can answer them all wins the Grand Prize. LOL :D

1. Does anyone know if The Queen is now at Sandringham?
2. Was it Zara Philips who was the «main» guest at the competition or was it Mike Tindall.
and finally
3. Does The Queen really have an Ipod?? That would be funny to know.

Thanks everyone for answering (In advance LOL)

2. Zara was the main guest.
3. I believe that Prince Andrew gave her an iPod for Christmas a couple of years ago.

There was a bit of a do at Sandringham this weekend. Apparently someone shot a fox while they were all out shooting birds. Legal, but only just. The fox wasn't killed outright (they were using shotguns), so someone was photographed hitting it with a fence post.
The big to do, was purely, from what I can see, the fact that Prince Philip was there at the time. I know I am against hunting with hounds, I know I am against cruelty of any sort, but what did they want him to do, jump in front of it shouting no, no? :rolleyes:

Prince Philip watches fox shot, stamped on and beaten to death

This fox could have suffered agonising gunshot wounds for up to five minutes before being put out of its misery during a Royal pheasant shoot at Sandringham yesterday.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/mailFrameset.do?url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=430241&in_page_id=1770

Last edited:
The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Cambridge to open the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open the new Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute in the Li Ka Shing centre on Friday 2nd February.
The Queen, Patron Cancer Research UK and The Duke of Edinburgh, Chancellor, Cambridge University, will tour the new state-of-the-art facility, a joint venture between the Charity and the University, before The Queen unveils a plaque to officially open the building.

Here is another picture gallery of the Queen's visit to the King Edward VII High School in King's Lynn, Norfolk, UK on January 24, 2007 - I think she looked very good in that red dress - very lovely and still so full of energy..:)

The Queen 24.01.2007

Thank you both for all the photos. :flowers:

I am looking forward to the pictures next week in the Netherlands with Her Majesty Queen Beatrix. I hope that The Queen will wear the same outfit as she wore at King Edward VII School (I dought she will though)

Does anyone know where we can find the speech that The Queen made during the reception given after the wedding of TRH The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

I think speeches at wedding receptions for British royals are usually private, but you could try google just in case there's a copy floating around somewhere.

That's really a special pic, Avalon ;) :)
Here is another nice gallery of pics from getty --> Link
What a nice dress the Queen wore, it already reminds me a bit of the coming spring..:)

The reminded me of my grandmother in the picture, Iceflower. ;) :rolleyes:

Pieces of Queen Victoria's 167-year-old wedding cake go on display
They won't let you eat cake at Windsor Castle, but visitors are being invited to admire a couple of 167-year-old slices.
Pieces of Queen Victoria's wedding cake will go on display as part of an exhibition on Royal weddings from 1840 to 1947 to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's diamond anniversary this year, palace officials said.

Picture of the cake in the original cardbox --- picture.

Last edited:
Avalon said:
The reminded me of my grandmother in the picture, Iceflower. ;) :rolleyes:

Pieces of Queen Victoria's 167-year-old wedding cake go on display
They won't let you eat cake at Windsor Castle, but visitors are being invited to admire a couple of 167-year-old slices.
Pieces of Queen Victoria's wedding cake will go on display as part of an exhibition on Royal weddings from 1840 to 1947 to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II's diamond anniversary this year, palace officials said.

Picture of the cake in the original cardbox --- picture.

I don't know if I'd want to look inside the box!

I'm with ysbel here. And why would someone want to keep cake for 167 years in the first place. I am sure there were other items from the wedding that were, shall we say, less perishable, than the wedding cake. Wedding gown, gifts that she received, invitations, etc... But then again, to each their own... but for me, that's just a scary thought. Where on earth have the kept it for so long.

Ah, but now it is part of history, isn't it? And it's placed in a museum...
If the cake (what's remained of it anyway) manages to survive another century, I expect it will cost a fortune! :rolleyes: :lol:

If someone dared you to eat a bit would you? I probably would just to say I'd eaten some of Queen Victoria's wedding cake.

BeatrixFan said:
If someone dared you to eat a bit would you? I probably would just to say I'd eaten some of Queen Victoria's wedding cake.

...and you would be seen to asylum straight away, before you could explain you meant not the actual wedding cake but 167 years old remaining of the cake in the museum. Though I suppose you’d be sent to an asylum after that explanation anyway (for eating 167 years old cake). :rolleyes: :lol:

I would definitely not try it. I doubt I could as much as look at it, come to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom