Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 1: December 2002-April 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I adore the way Sophie wears her hair now. It looks so much softer and prettier than when she had it shorter. I think it's much more flattering on her.

An interesting article from "The Scotsman" on how The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are packing and what they are taking on the state visit to France on Monday.

HOW TO PACK, WINDSOR-STYLE

They may not take the kitchen sink but just about everything else goes with them on a state visit.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are preparing to travel by Eurostar rail-link to France to mark the centenary of the Entente Cordiale, the historic Anglo-French alliance brokered as a bulwark against Germany.

For their short, three-day trip to Paris and Toulouse, the royal couple are literally taking tons of luggage, not to mention a retinue of servants, advisers, ladies-in-waiting and bodyguards.

The corridors of Buckingham Palace are presently lined with large trunks bearing the legend “The Queen” in gold lettering and standing like sentries beside doorways.

Into these trunks, dutiful staff load almost an entire office – computers, printers, photocopiers, stationery bearing the royal coat of arms, gold-edged invitations, official gifts and the red boxes of government papers which follow the Queen everywhere.

Other trunks contain the Queen’s extensive wardrobe, which has been especially designed and selected with care for the visit to a European fashion centre where Parisians expect style.

There are several changes of day clothes as well as evening gowns for the state banquet and official dinner, with jewellery to add a regal sparkle to the royal roadshow.

The Queen’s dresser and personal assistant packs Her Majesty’s preferred toiletries and cosmetics, no doubt including her favourite anti-wrinkle cream which, unusually, she was spotted buying in an airport duty-free shop at the end of a foreign trip.

The Duke is accompanied by his valet – pronounced, even in France, in an anglicised way by Royals and courtiers who sound the final “t“.

The valet takes care of Philip’s wardrobe, packing appropriate suits for every occasion on the itinerary and laying them out for him to change.

Wherever the Queen travels, she insists on taking some basic royal home comforts. Apparently mundane or fussy items make the trip by royal command.

Her travelling companions are Malvern bottled water, Twining’s breakfast tea, English orange marmalade, Dundee cake and her own electric kettle.

Not that she is likely to make a brew in the Royals’ hotel room or steam up the ambassador’s residence.

There is more than personal taste involved in taking along bottled English water. It is, in fact, a sensible precaution against an upset stomach which could wreck the state visit.

The Queen, in particular, is careful about what she eats on tour. Menus are requested in advance and spicy or messy, difficult-to-eat dishes are off.

However, she is not unadventurous and is willing to try local delicacies at banquets in her honour.

On her state visit to China in 1986, she ate slimy sea cucumber and managed it using chopsticks.

With banquets, official dinners and lunches to eat, the Queen likes to watch her waistline and sometimes leaves food on her plate to avoid piling on the pounds.

At the state banquet, hosted by President Jacques Chirac, expect the Queen to utter at least a few sentences or phrases in French. Like the Duke, she speaks the language well.

The Queen sleeps soundly on overseas visits, partly because she insists on taking her own feather pillows to ensure a good night’s rest.

A jet-lagged Duke, at a banquet in South Korea, did not need a comfy pillow when he nodded off during the soup course.

But jet lag will not be a problem in France and the elderly royal couple – the Queen is 77 and the Duke 82 – are now scaling down their foreign travel.

During her long reign, the Queen has circumnavigated the globe many times, accompanied by her husband.

By her Golden Jubilee in 2002, she had undertaken 251 official overseas visits to 128 different countries.

The latest full state visit sets a record as it is the Queen’s fourth to France and she has never before paid four state visits to any country.

There have been multiple visits to Commonwealth countries and realms, notably 20 trips to Canada, but these are not classed as state visits because she is Queen of Canada and head of state, not to mention head of the Commonwealth.

The April 5-7 visit is politically sensitive in the wake of differences with France over the Iraq War.

Although the Queen, as a constitutional monarch, does not express political opinions, she will be accompanied, as is customary, by the Foreign Secretary.

Jack Straw will take the opportunity, during bi-lateral talks, to try to heal wounds, and encourage trade deals and cultural exchanges.

The visit is also a chance for the Queen and the Duke to fly the flag for Britain and nurture any goodwill among the French people towards their British neighbours, the “Rosbifs“.

At least the French have now lifted their import ban on British beef – only Iraq still sticks in Anglo-French throats.

Originally posted by A.C.C.@Apr 3rd, 2004 - 12:03 pm
An interesting article from "The Scotsman" on how The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are packing and what they are taking on the state visit to France on Monday.

HOW TO PACK, WINDSOR-STYLE
They might as just take the kitchen sink! :p Thanks for this article, A.C.C. I guess "packing light" isn't a word in the Queen and Prince's vocabulary! You'd think with all the trips the Queen and the Prince have taken in all their years representing Great Britain they would've managed to pare down their packing list and minimalize it. I guess not, however.

from The Scotsman

Smile says it all as Queen bids cordial farewell

WILLIAM LYONS

THE Queen signed off an immensely successful state visit to France yesterday by visiting the southern city of Toulouse, the site of the last battle on French soil between the two nations, in 1814.

She visited a church in the city and strolled around the market before dropping in to the aircraft manufacturer Airbus to name one of Sir Richard Branson’s new planes.

Well known for its flower plantations and, in particular, violets, the Queen, wearing that colour, blended in as she visited a violet stall during a walkabout in the Place du Capitole central square.

This was the Queen’s fourth state visit to France in a visit arranged to celebrate the centenary of the Entente Cordiale, an understanding signed by the two countries in 1904 to end centuries of rivalry.

Walking among hundreds of people, to the soundtrack of traditional Toulouse music, she was presented with a silk scarf and met people who work in modern methods of dye extraction.

But the day didn’t pass without incident, as one man was arrested at the edge of the square after climbing up a signpost to make a protest relating to Rwanda.

Earlier, the Queen visited the city’s Jacobins Church, where friars of the Dominican Order chanted songs at the altar. Demonstrating her command of the language, she told the friars, who wore the traditional black and white habits, that the tune which was dedicated to the Virgin Mary was "tres belle musique".

After lunch with the mayor, Philippe Doust-Blazy, who was named health minister in a government reshuffle a week ago, the Royal party - which included the Duke of Edinburgh, Bernadette Chirac, the wife of Jacques, the French president and Dominique Perben, the justice minister - travelled to Airbus’ headquarters in Toulouse.

They were later joined by Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, and Mr Doust-Blazy.

Following in the footsteps of Diana, Princess of Wales, who named the first Virgin Airbus "Lady in Red" in 1993, the Queen christened one of Sir Richard’s planes, declaring it "Queen of the Skies".

Sir Richard said it was "an incredible honour" to have one of his aircraft named by the Queen.

"It’s also a tremendous tribute to the hard work and professionalism of everyone at Virgin Atlantic who help us fly the flag for Britain all over the world," he added.

The use of both the British and French flags on the planes was aimed at symbolising the anniversary of the entente cordiale agreement between the two nations.

Sir Richard, however, stumbled on the pronunciation of Queen of the Skies in French - "reine des cieux" - admitting "I’m not as good as Her Majesty."

The Queen has demonstrated her command of the language throughout her three-day state visit, giving numerous speeches in her hosts’ language. In front of the new plane yesterday, she said, in French: "It is wonderful for me to see so many British people here today with your French colleagues.

"It is fitting that my visit to France should end with this impressive example of Franco-British and European co- operation."

She thanked Mr Chirac and the French people for the past three days, saying: "The warmth of your welcome will live long in our memories."

The Queen added: "I am now delighted in this Entente Cordiale centenary year to name this new Airbus for Virgin Atlantic Airways, the Queen of the Skies."

But the high point came when the Queen bestowed an honorary knighthood on Noel Forgeard, the president of the European aircraft maker Airbus, making him a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire.

He was honoured for leading the French, British, German and Spanish company since 1998.

Because he is French, Mr Forgeard cannot call himself "sir", a distinction reserved for British citizens, but he can use the initials "KBE" after his name.

Other non-British knights include the Microsoft chairman Bill Gates, who was given the honour in January.

Despite her involvement with Virgin Atlantic, the Queen opted for a British Airways flight as she departed France for the UK bringing her stay to a close. Mr Chirac will pay a return state visit in the autumn.

First off, from one of the pics that Dennis posted I want to know why Prince Philip would be wiping his nose in public? Isn't their protocol against that or something. It does not seem like a very royal thing to do. I would not even do that and I'm definitely not a royal.

Secondly, I was very surprised to find that the Queen took a British Airways flight home from France. I didn't know that they flew commercial. I always figured that they either had their own plane, or used government ones. Hmm.

Originally posted by Gabriella@Apr 8th, 2004 - 6:48 pm
First off, from one of the pics that Dennis posted I want to know why Prince Philip would be wiping his nose in public? Isn't their protocol against that or something. It does not seem like a very royal thing to do. I would not even do that and I'm definitely not a royal.

Secondly, I was very surprised to find that the Queen took a British Airways flight home from France. I didn't know that they flew commercial. I always figured that they either had their own plane, or used government ones. Hmm.
Far better to pull out a hankie and wipe his nose than be sniffing all day! Just good manners - nothing to do with protocol.

As to flying BA it was obviously more cost effective. The Queens Flight has been scaled down drastically in the last few years. For a flight of, at most, one hour the commercial flight was obviously the most accessible.

Originally posted by wymanda+Apr 9th, 2004 - 8:13 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>
(wymanda @ Apr 9th, 2004 - 8:13 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gabriella@Apr 8th, 2004 - 6:48 pm

Far better to pull out a hankie and wipe his nose than be sniffing all day! Just good manners - nothing to do with protocol.

As to flying BA it was obviously more cost effective. The Queens Flight has been scaled down drastically in the last few years. For a flight of, at most, one hour the commercial flight was obviously the most accessible.
Also she went to an Airbus factory, I believe and maybe it was made by Airbus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by wymanda+Apr 9th, 2004 - 8:13 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>[quote/] (wymanda @ Apr 9th, 2004 - 8:13 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Gabriella@Apr 8th, 2004 - 6:48 pm

As to flying BA it was obviously more cost effective. The Queens Flight has been scaled down drastically in the last few years. For a flight of, at most, one hour the commercial flight was obviously the most accessible. [/quote]
It seems to me that it's far better manners to not blow your nose in public! Excuse yourself and go do it in private, but not in public, especially if there are photographers everywhere waiting to snap an image of you doing so. If it were me, I'd probably be embarrassed if that had happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Duke@Apr 15th, 2004 - 8:36 am
What the occasion? Why is the media allow to take photo?
you know Her Majesty the Queen 2 need to intives the paparazzi to the state trip the Paparazzi needs to brings camera to getting pictures when HM Queen on state trips she is Queen of England many paparazzi would respect her and admire lots!

Sara Boyce

I think that Her Majesty shouldn't intives the paparazzi .Because sometime may be they could talk about some bad story or her privately life.

Does anyone have Queen Elizabeth official picture on her Jubilee?I have seen it from Canadian Goverment site but now i can't find it!!!!!! :cry: I remember that in this picture after the Queen's back is a red mosquito-net.Ah,it have 2 pics:
1.first one is The Queen with Duke(from the page Worldroots Royal)
2.Second,only THe Queen

Did Her Majesty cursty to her mother's coffin on her mother's funeral day?Does anyone have pic?And did she cry?

Yet women at both the funeral and the lying-in-state curtseyed to The Queen Mother's coffin as it passed, including women of The Biritsh Royal Family and foreign royal families. Queen Elizabeth II curtsey to no one, so HM didnot curtsey to the coffin of Her mother.

I know that the Duke is Colonel of many regiments. Where can i find all these official photographs. Thanks a lot!!!!

Does Her Majesty use skin sock when she appear in public?And does anyone have pic of it?

For the Canadians: Tomorrow morning Canada AM (well, CBC) will be airing an interview with Prince Phillip and Prince Edward. The show starts at 6 am but I'm not sure when the interview will be shown. I got the end of the commercial so if anyone has more accurate information, please share :flower:

D'OH!! Here's the correct information for the post above.

from CBC.ca

Monday, April 26, 2004, 6:00 a.m.
Exclusive interviews with Prince Philip and his son, Prince Edward

The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, which started in 1956 in the U.K., was the brainchild of Prince Philip. Since the award came to Canada 40 years ago, more than 200,000 Canadians have participated. Some 30,000 participate each year. The award now operates in over 100 countries worldwide. Today, Prince Edward runs the award program for his father.

Smith also speaks to past and present award participants. Toronto Mayor David Miller received his gold award in high school. Currently finishing up their gold awards are 18-year-old Asim Zaidi from Mississauga, Ont., who has cerebral palsy, and 18-year-old Cynthia Dawe from St. John's, Nfld.

To obtain a Duke of Edinburgh's Award, youth between the ages of 14-25 must complete activities in four categories: physical fitness, skills, community service and expeditions. There are three levels of achievement: gold, silver and bronze.

In the past several years in Canada, the award program has expanded to reach youth considered "at-risk," targeting aboriginal, rural and inner-city youth; young offenders; and those with disabilities.

Prince Philip will be in Toronto on April 26 to attend a gala fundraising dinner to celebrate the Award's 40th anniversary in Canada.

AP

LONDON - What makes Britons British? Fish and chips, drinking tea and the queen, according to them.

The Beatles, a traditional cooked breakfast of sausages and eggs and Buckingham Palace also made a list published Tuesday of people, places and pastimes that define Britain.

Top of the 100 Distinctly British Greats list was food — fish and chips tied with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding for first place, each nominated by 73 percent of people.

Queen Elizabeth II was in third place, chosen by 64 percent of voters, followed by Buckingham Palace in fourth with 58 percent.

Next came the cooked English breakfast (56 percent), The Beatles and the Houses of Parliament (both 55 percent), chain store Marks & Spencer (53 percent), the master painter Constable (52 percent) and drinking tea (51 percent).

Other things that made the list were traits such as queuing, keeping a stiff upper lip and an unwillingness to tackle foreign languages.

The list of 100 candidates was chosen by a panel for Tanqueray gin and pollsters TNS RSGB asked 1,000 people to choose three each from a list of 10 categories: public figures, national traits and cultural modes, music, actors, film and television, food and drink, icons and national symbols, artists, buildings and landscapes, and brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom