Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 8: September-November 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elspeth

Former Moderator
City
Country
United States
Welcome to part 8 of the thread to discuss the current events of Princess Beatrice.

Part 7 is here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...events-7-may-2007-september-2007-a-12565.html

Since Part 7 degenerated into some fairly unpleasant behaviour, please bear the following forum rule in mind when contributing to this thread:

• Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.

Last edited:
Beatrixfan's comments about Beatrice's lack of involvement in Royal duties is something I've noticed for a long time with William and Harry as well. None of the young ones seem all that interested. First it was because of school, university etc now the army, gap years and what not. Even if they don't want a full program yet they are at an age where attendance at Ascot in a carraige or at a State Banquet would be appropriate. I mean their European counterparts all managed to combine other activities with Royal duties at a young age so I don't see a problem. I also totally agree with Beatrixfan about Beatrice's "role" in life. When Prince Andrew fought for them to remain HRHs their role in life should have been obvious ie to be fully paid up working members of "the firm". If they have decided that this isn't the road they want to follow the titles should be given up because you can't have your cake and eat it. Prince Charles must be rubbing his hands with glee as the Yorks are giving him all the amunition he needs to "slim things down" as it were when he becomes King.

never thought of that before...why is it the younger ones don't take on more public duties? wasn't charles combining education and duty at their age?

Beatrixfan's comments about Beatrice's lack of involvement in Royal duties...
You have to wonder if there is a role in life for Beatrice or Eugenie.

Beatrice can hardly be called the brightest spark, her fashion sense seems lacking and the protruding eyes and open mouth are not exactly attractive. The part in this latest venture was not, afaik, through an audition but because mummy is 'directing'.

I think, if she is not going to work as a royal, she needs to find herself an occupation of some sort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't we give Beatrice's protruding eyes a rest and criticisize something she has control over?

I've always said I think Pss B is attractive (I don't mind her eyes 'cuz mine are huge, too, and I'm over the self-consciousness about it). But all this panic about her becoming or trying to become a serious actress is ridiculous. She's just having a bit of fun in a production her mother in involved with about a great ancestor of hers. I highly doubt she has any desires or expectations of getting into acting for real. And I don't think it would be proctocol for one so close to the British throne to do so (look at the whole fiasco w Prince Edward and his acting endeavors). B is young still and who knows what she'll turn out to be. But thanks BeaFan and Countess and Sky for the hilarious debate. Sorry, but it was entertainingly hilarious!

Why don't we give Beatrice's protruding eyes a rest and criticisize something she has control over?
But ysbel, if she took advise from ALL of us, there wouldn't be anything to criticise, would there?:ROFLMAO:

Skydragon points out something very important - Beatrice hasn't got this movie role (albeit a non speaking one) by audition, she's got it because of who she is. Now as an actor, that annoys me because I can't bear that type of thing in the theatre. What Fergie has basically done is arrange for Bea to be an extra and I'd be interested to see if she gets the usual £80 extra's fee and is treated like dirt which most extras are.

But ysbel, if she took advise from ALL of us, there wouldn't be anything to criticise, would there?:ROFLMAO:

I'm sure some of our more creative members will manage to find something. In the meantime, if this thread starts descending into the sort of group cruelty that characterised the last few pages of the previous installment, the moderators will be over here with the pruning shears. Criticism is one thing, and perfectly acceptable within the parameters of the forum rules, but things were going way beyond that.

Last edited:
Skydragon points out something very important - Beatrice hasn't got this movie role (albeit a non speaking one) by audition, she's got it because of who she is. Now as an actor, that annoys me because I can't bear that type of thing in the theatre. What Fergie has basically done is arrange for Bea to be an extra and I'd be interested to see if she gets the usual £80 extra's fee and is treated like dirt which most extras are.

Well, but that isn't wildly unusual, is it? King Abdullah got a walk-on role in one of the Star Trek Voyager episodes, and Professor Hawking got a - I suppose you'd call it a wheel-on - role in one of the Next Generation episodes. And I'm sure nobody treated them like dirt just because they were extras.

I do think it'd be better for the royal family in general and Beatrice in particular if she was seen more often with her father and with the royals. At the moment she seems to be spending time almost exclusively with her mother, and these reports of fashion design and acting are making people wonder what the "Princess" stuff is actually for.

well you always get a non speaking rol because of who you are.

when they were filming Soldaat van Oranje (1977) - Plot summary, they came to Minerva the fraternity/sorority in Leiden and the members all got parts to hang around during a party scene because they had faces like people who study in Leiden, Sarah gets her rol as lady in waiting because she has an old fashioned sort of face and is credible as a lady in waiting in the 19th century.

Not wildly unusual and ok it's been done before but not in Britain. I credited our lot with more sense. I just find it very unfair that she's taking someone's part who needs the job when she doesn't. What's "quite a lark" to Bea, is a day's wages to some poor actress who's desperate to do enough to scrape the rent together. It's not like Beatrice has ever had any training unless you count having Prince Edward as an uncle. And what a great actor he was...

life is not fair, surprised it shocks you. Of course it has been done in Britain, it is done everywhere in the world.

Not wildly unusual and ok it's been done before but not in Britain. I credited our lot with more sense.
I just find it very unfair
that she's taking someone's part who needs the job when she doesn't. What's "quite a lark" to Bea, is a day's wages to some poor actress who's desperate to do enough to scrape the rent together. It's not like Beatrice has ever had any training unless you count having Prince Edward as an uncle. And what a great actor he was...

Who said life was fair? I simply said a member of the Royal family playing actress might be a laugh to them but it's someone's job their taking. I don't know of any other instance when a Royal has used their connections to get a part in a film. Let me know who did that.

Actually I think it's more likely that she's being used rather than doing the using. It's giving Mummy's film a nice lot of publicity, and it's not going to do Beatrice any good in the longer term. It's a pity the Queen didn't try to do anything (at least, I assume she didn't or we might have seen some consequences) to insist that Beatrice spend more time with her father before she turned 18 so she didn't get into the habit of spending her leisure time rattling around New York with Mummy.

But all this panic about her becoming or trying to become a serious actress is ridiculous. She's just having a bit of fun in a production her mother in involved with about a great ancestor of hers. I highly doubt she has any desires or expectations of getting into acting for real.

And that's what annoys me: she doesn't want to become an actress "for real". She doesn't want to become a model "for real". She probably won't become a designer "for real" - you have to have a intensive education to be one (see Stella McCartney - she worked hard before she became what she is now!). She won't be an astronaut "for real" - all she wants is to fulfill her teenie dreams! And all of them! Let my Daddy throw a costume ball at Windsor Castle for the Crème de la crème! Let me party with mommy all around the world! Let me be a front-page model! That's the past and that's what her "gap" year seems to be all about.

A gap from what, please? From having grown up as a princess? From having to learn something in a most priviledged school? Harry and William at least spent time in the third world helping poor people there before they started doing their duty for their country as young recruits.

IMHo Beatrice Mountbatten-Windsor should do something to earn the right to be called HRH. In centuries past she would have been required to become a political bride and work for the sake of her old and new country as wife, mother and the first (or one of the first) ladies in her new homecountry. That could have turned out to be quite an unpleasant position, but that was the prize to be payed by a "princess".

Beatrice could already have shown a promise that she would use her status for other people than herself and her august circle. But did she? Instead I see only information about absolutely shallow doings. Her Royal "Highness"? It's laughable, isn't it?

Who said life was fair? I simply said a member of the Royal family playing actress might be a laugh to them but it's someone's job their taking. I don't know of any other instance when a Royal has used their connections to get a part in a film. Let me know who did that.

As I pointed out in the last part of this thread, "acting" was for centuries considered to be the lowest profession by Beatrice's ancestors and the upper class in Britain. Okay, there were private performances but I doubt taking part in a movie would be considered a private affair by Beatrice's ancestors. But if she wants to have the station in life her relationship to these august ancestors grant her, she should at least try to behave so that these Royals could be proud of her and not die (again) of shock when confronted with Beatrice's doings.

In order for her to do something with her life, she has to have guidance from an adult, which she does not have.
Her father pretty much seems to leave it up to his ex wife, and his ex wife pretty much just takes the girls on vacations and parties. She has no real worth right now.
But then again, she is just 18. Let's hope that she is playing on her gap year to get it all out of her system before she settles down and starts doing something worthy of her HRH title.
It would be a total shame if she did not do something with her Dyslexia. She could really bring attention to that, which would be a great worthy cause.
But what she should do, and what she actually does is two totally different things.
And just for the record, I think she is too immature to be doing Royal things on her own. She may be HRH, but just because she is born into it does not mean she knows what to do with it or how to act. I actually think she as well as her sister could benefit from "Princess training".
Sounds weird I know, but I don't know how else to explain what I mean.

I agree with Jo. I'll be a long time dead before I bow to Beatrice, Eugenie or any of these 'gap year' Royals.

While I do tend to agree w Jo of P and everyone, I def. think alot of her behavior is due to age (what 18 y/o doesn't like to go to parties and isn't awed by the idea of 'being in a movie'?). And I do side w Sesa about her not having really had a good role model (parent) to learn from. Sarah does like the spotlight and if that means going to parties and being seen w "celebs" at high-profile resorts, so be it for her. And that's pretty much the environment the York princesses have been brought up in, right or wrong. Hopefully, now that they're grown up, they'll start down a more royal path and not turn into 21st century Princess Stephanies of Monaco (no offense, but remember her wild youth? The poor thing will forever be linked to wild parties, wild men and a very NON princess-like lifestyle). Maybe they should be encouraged to spend more time w Dad, but he seems to be a very busy man w his own royal duties so Mom is probably it for now.

And just for the record, I think she is too immature to be doing Royal things on her own. She may be HRH, but just because she is born into it does not mean she knows what to do with it or how to act. I actually think she as well as her sister could benefit from "Princess training".

But think of Victoria and Madeleine of Sweden: Victoria suffered as well from dyslexia (and anorexia in addition). I can't remember Victoria or Madeleine ever using their rank like Beatrice, even though they were teenies, too. And they are direct descendants of the souverain, not only grand-daughters.

She's 19, not 18. With a gap year she'll start university at age 20. That's older than most, so perhaps by then she'll have a better idea of her goals.

And that's what annoys me: she doesn't want to become an actress "for real". She doesn't want to become a model "for real". She probably won't become a designer "for real" - you have to have a intensive education to be one (see Stella McCartney - she worked hard before she became what she is now!). She won't be an astronaut "for real" - all she wants is to fulfill her teenie dreams! And all of them! Let my Daddy throw a costume ball at Windsor Castle for the Crème de la crème! Let me party with mommy all around the world! Let me be a front-page model! That's the past and that's what her "gap" year seems to be all about.

A gap from what, please? From having grown up as a princess? From having to learn something in a most priviledged school? Harry and William at least spent time in the third world helping poor people there before they started doing their duty for their country as young recruits.

IMHo Beatrice Mountbatten-Windsor should do something to earn the right to be called HRH. In centuries past she would have been required to become a political bride and work for the sake of her old and new country as wife, mother and the first (or one of the first) ladies in her new homecountry. That could have turned out to be quite an unpleasant position, but that was the prize to be payed by a "princess".

Beatrice could already have shown a promise that she would use her status for other people than herself and her august circle. But did she? Instead I see only information about absolutely shallow doings. Her Royal "Highness"? It's laughable, isn't it?

Whoever said that royals earn their royal titles? A hereditary monarchy doesn't work that way. Princesses are Princesses simply because their daddy was a Prince. That's all there is to it, no magic exam, no special courses, no entrance requirements to make sure they're Princess material. Its all a mistake of birth; if Beatrice's mother had been a princess then she wouldn't have been a princess. A lot of the rules around royalty are arbitrary and don't make any sense but there they are. And therefore Beatrice is a Princess. Unfair but true.

It makes royalty watching more interesting as far as I'm concerned. I like to see how people who were not chosen for their role based on ability make out of it. If people want a hereditary monarchy they have to take the good with the bad and the bad is sometimes a royal who is only a royal by accident of birth.

Last edited:
Trouble is, these days people are less likely to be tolerant of royals who aren't seen to be doing something in return for the wealth and privilege. That was one of the criticisms of Prince Edward after he decided a military career wasn't for him. Princess Margaret got away with the partying lifestyle because back in the 1950s it was a more deferential time and people cut some slack for youngsters who had grown up during the war. I don't think Beatrice is going to get that same sort of tolerance, especially if all the reports and photos continue to focus on parties and freebies.

Having said that, I also think that for a young lady with A-levels in history, drama, and media studies (or whatever it was), a walk-on role in a film about a historical figure is somewhat appropriate. At least it has something to do with her A-level topics.

Whoever said that royals earn their royal titles? A hereditary monarchy doesn't work that way.
Of course you are right, but still I think the times have change and the "world" (public and media) is not longer willing to let "princesses" get away with everything only because they are born a princess. Stephanie of Monaco learned some lessons about this, I guess and a lot of other princesses are to cautious to play the peacock for a willing/unwilling crowd.
I don't believe people want people's princesses. Because people already have their "people's people" - their politicians they can select through votes. So once the princesses that are forced on the people become little barbies in the sense that these princesses live the dreams of any young barbie girl, then that's annoying and leads to feelings of envy and the question if their pampered life makes any sense.

And: do people nowadays really want hereditary monarchies with all the people attached to it by blood? I don't think so. There are certain expectations even in the smallest village of how the respective "lady of the manor" should behave and if she doesn't she'll fast find herself cast in a different and not so pleasant role. Same with "Royals" who don't behave or who don't have value for the community.

When we talk about society and society's expectation here, we should realise that people supporting the monarchy do that because of the tradition this institution represents and because of the actual people being the representatives. Beatrice through her behaviour does not at the moment embody the institution of the past and she is IMHO not yet the personality to make people believe in the value and sense of this institution.
That is quite normal for a young lady, for any young lady, agreed but what she does is thwart the institution .

The monarchy has not been the perfect way to organise a nation, but it's concentration on a leading personage with a (more or less) clear claim to rule has lead to a certain stability. Nowadays it's enough to have this person on top and a suitable heir. And there are alternative ways to organize a nation. So all other family members can potentially become a problem if they don't fit in.

Even Diana as a young bride (and a teenager) understood the reasoning behind the way she was, wel,. let's say, encouraged to lead her life as member of the RF. And she did it in great style without falling for the temptation to live Barbie's dreams. Even later she was able to mix her fun with a genuine enough care for other members of the society she lived in.
And I don't see that in Beatrice at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Margaret got away with a lot because the Queen put the throne on a more secure position with her relatively early marriage to Philip and stable family life with him and her children Charles and Anne. For most people, Margaret was an entertaining non-factor in contrast to the dutiful but sometimes staid Queen.

Charles' and William's position is not that secure; they've both faced criticism, first there is an element to the population that wants Charles off the throne because of Camilla which is a shame because I think he is the most stable of the lot and secondly William himself seems a bit aimless despite being considerably older than Beatrice. Harry, who is second in line, has also faced his fair share of criticism for public drunkenness, the Nazi costume, etc. I don't think Beatrice would be so much a factor if Charles' and William's position were more secure.

As a Princess, Beatrice doesn't get anything from the Civil List and any income she gets outside of a regular job would have to come from her father or the Queen. So in absence of a public paycheck, Beatrice's accountability comes from her family. If they don't want to make her accountable that is a shame but since Beatrice is fifth in line to the throne is it really a matter of a royal crisis? At the age of 19 I do think Beatrice deserves a break now because she is just getting out on her own. In a couple of years if she is still clinging to Mummy then I'd say she has a problem.

What disturbs me is that people expect the same accountability from these families that inherit their position as they do from politicians that campaign and get votes to win their office. For the heir perhaps yes, but for the other members of the family it starts getting unrealistic. If people want that type of accountability even from someone like Beatrice who is fifth in line to the throne and whi is not getting any public monies to the throne perhaps it is time to rethink and have another form of government.

Last edited:
I think if the royal family is to be at all significant, the members who still count as royal - who have HRHs - should be held to a higher standard of accountability. A lot of people don't realise that Prince Michael doesn't do royal duties and has never been paid from the Civil List, and they don't like his perceived habits of getting company directorships and adting as spokesman for commercial concerns. It's seen as being OK for David Linley to have a normal job because he hasn't got a royal title and isn't expected to do royal duties. But someone like Prince Michael is in a rather ambiguous position, and the nuances of that position are somewhat lost on people who aren't royal watchers.

The same is likely to happen to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie if they aren't careful. Lady Louise might avoid the problem because of not being styled with an HRH, but as long as those two young ladies are Princesses and Royal Highnesses, they ought to be behaving as such. Otherwise it becomes relevant to ask why the HRH and the Succession aren't limited much more stringently like they are in some other monarchies, to include only the monarch and the immediate family.

If Lady Beatrice Mountbatten-Windsor wanted to go out partying with Sarah every week and live in New York most of the time, fair enough. HRH Princess Beatrice owes her country a bit more than that if her HRH is anything other than three irrelevant letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom