Princess Beatrice of York Current Events 17: June 2017-July 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its also very possible that Beatrice, herself, has no inclination whatsoever to work for the "Firm". She could be perfectly happy with the way her life is right now.

She actually has the best of both worlds. :D

:previous: Good point. Too bad the media don't leave her alone but instead moan when they think she isn't working and when she is, they moan that she isn't doing charity work.

She and her mother both have the nature to do that. They have smiles for miles and put their heart into it, sort of like Harry is doing now. Everyone recognises he is more at ease than his brother and I am thinking Beatrice is more at ease than Eugenie.

:previous: Good point. Too bad the media don't leave her alone but instead moan when they think she isn't working and when she is, they moan that she isn't doing charity work.

She and her mother both have the nature to do that. They have smiles for miles and put their heart into it, sort of like Harry is doing now. Everyone recognises he is more at ease than his brother and I am thinking Beatrice is more at ease than Eugenie.

That's interesting. I always get the sense that Eugenie is the sister most happy in her own skin. She isn't always the most natural in the spotlight, but she also doesn't seem to desire a life of public appearances. Eugenie seems to be very much at peace with the idea of having the same kind of life as any "normal" wealthy English woman. Meanwhile, whether as an official royal "worker" or not, Bea seems to be trying to carve out something for herself that is, at the very least, an imitation of life on the monarch's payroll. Given the circumstances, that feels a little sad to me no matter how good she is at the meet and greets themselves.

She's better off without Dave; I think he was such a user.

But I do think perhaps Charles should reconsider allowing Beatrice to do official patronages.
Many of his relatives are elderly and not in the best health. They are bound to be slowing down at some point, so Beatrice might be quite useful.
Also, she seems to be interested so why not?

Money.

Everyone who carries out official duties has to have security when doing duties and has to have an officially paid for staff - paid for either by the Sovereign Grant or the Duchy of Lancaster and Charles wants to restrict that money to his branch of the family only as much as possible. He also doesn't want to lumber his son and grandson with having to pay for those expenses for an aging great-aunt of 2nd/3rd cousin.

He wants a streamlined royal family - fewer royals undertaking fewer duties - and William agrees. William will, I suspect, never reach the numbers even his father does now as he isn't a believer in the worth of all those engagements but is more interested in raises the profile of a few causes and not having 100s of patronages at all.

Money.

Everyone who carries out official duties has to have security when doing duties and has to have an officially paid for staff - paid for either by the Sovereign Grant or the Duchy of Lancaster and Charles wants to restrict that money to his branch of the family only as much as possible. He also doesn't want to lumber his son and grandson with having to pay for those expenses for an aging great-aunt of 2nd/3rd cousin.

He wants a streamlined royal family - fewer royals undertaking fewer duties - and William agrees. William will, I suspect, never reach the numbers even his father does now as he isn't a believer in the worth of all those engagements but is more interested in raises the profile of a few causes and not having 100s of patronages at all.

The best explanation I've read up to now. :flowers: Makes perfect sense to me.

I think it is more that she has accepted that she isn't wanted by the BRF as a working member of the firm and so has decided to live her life her way and stuff them. She reportedly asked to do more in 2012 and again in 2014 but both times Charles and William told her she wasn't wanted and now she simply doesn't care about them and their needs or wants in the future.

William will only have himself and Harry and his spouse in his generation and so the slimming of the BRF will happen simply by not having the cousins work at all. Too bad if their is an only child.

I think she still wants "in".

The thing is, you can't co-host a Buck House garden party and have policemen and assistant private secretaries and footmen gently shuffle you around the lawn as people pretty much kiss your *** and then, a few hours later, you head out to LouLou's or the equivalent and get drunk with your scandalous mother.

A Garden Party is an event to recognize people who contribute to life in the UK in the best possible way. Some of the ladies who attend have been doing amazing work in their local communities for most of their lives. As HM says, "Everyone likes a pat on the back now and then."

Beatrice isn't good at this. Her outfits are bad, and she tends to show up at the bar later the same night, which devalues her Garden Party mingling. Who would want to talk to Princess Beatrice and stand in line in the sun to do so, when you know you can catch her in a local bar 4 hours later?

This is not Royal behavior.

Her sister seems more savvy.

:previous:Oh yes Beatrice is an embarrassment. Doesn't she know a royal must live like a senior citizen? She should only be seen for royal duties, and hide away drinking tea and counting her pearls, when not on duty ?

We all know she is a shameless hussy. I mean can we imagine Harry or Will doing this? I mean going out to a bar with friends? Oh the horror. I mean they would never drink or go out dancing. I mean can you imagine Will showing off his daddy dance moves or Harry naked pool......oh wait :whistling:

Royals are not meant to be paragons of absolute virtue. She is not going out to clubs being dragged out drunk at night. She went out for dinner for her mother. Many of her 'nights out' are actually charity events she is attending.

As for Charles and his streamlining, we will see how well that goes down. People are excited now as they seem to think less royals will mean less money. In reality it will mean less work, less representation and the same money or more money. The sovereign's grant is not going to decrease based on the amount of royals who are working. In fact it goes up every year. When people realize the sovereign's grant is going to fund less and less work, people will start wondering what exactly they are paying for.

The reality is that being royals is about 'public perception'. William and Harry and Kate are already considered lazy. They don't do enough duties. The public doesn't get the 'they do all this work behind the scenes'. Well what work? What hours? They attend parties, what are they doing for those parties? People believe what they can see. When the senior royals are doing less then 200 events a year, people wonder what they are doing the rest of the year. This isn't going to change when the senior royals retire off, the scrutiny is only going to build.

Conservation and mental health are great causes, but what else? What about all the other issues like education, arts, history and so on that the senior royals cover now? Are they no longer going to have any representation?

Paying for Bea and Eugenie to have security WHEN they do royal duties (along the lines of Edward), would be minimal cost at all. And certainly could help public perception. When the senior royals retire off, Bee and Eugenie could fill many holes in areas the Cambridges and Harry show little interest in. The reality is there are 16 senior royals on the pay roll right now, when the Gloucesters, Kents, Alexandra, the queen and Philip retire or are gone, that will already streamline the royal family a huge amount. No need to simply eliminate everyone else.

Beatrice is going to continue to do charity work. She has made that clear. And has accepted numerous patronages, I believe she is or close to a dozen now. The royals are fools not to take credit for it, and put their royal stamp, show that they are continuing to work hard for the public.

No. Edward and his wife are official HRH Royals. They undertake engagements on behalf of Her Majesty.

Eugenie and Beatrice will have no official royal role. This is common knowledge.

Its also very possible that Beatrice, herself, has no inclination whatsoever to work for the "Firm". She could be perfectly happy with the way her life is right now.

She actually has the best of both worlds. :D

Do you really think so?

I see her as drifting, and miserable.
If she did have an official role, I think it would give her a sense of purpose, and then perhaps other aspects of her life would take shape.

(Sort of like Princess Alexandra; she had her royal duties, but also a private life with her family. She always seemed like a woman fulfilled).

I totally agree with Countessmeout. The royal family are missing an opportunity with Beatrice and Eugenie too. I bet they would happily take on engagements for the firm. Especially Beatrice, I think she’d like to be “in”. It’s definitely all about perception-they could be a real asset.

The Queen, Charles and William know Beatrice and her personality, if they are opposed to her becoming a working royal, I am sure it is based on their knowledge of her as well as their awareness of the finances involved. We don't know how well she gets along with Charles or William or Catherine.
If Beatrice were to become a working royal she would expect to be housed at the monarch's personal expense like the Kents and Gloucesters currently are. She would need to have staff also paid for by the monarch. Taxpayers would foot the bill for RPOs for her public appearances.
From the firm's perspective she would be expected to adopt patronages they approved of and to decline others which are not appropriate for the Royal family, whereas currently she can choose when/where and what she wants to support. She would be expected to accept second tier engagements after more senior members of the firm including Catherine and Harry's future wife.
Beatrice has a large dose of wanderlust, even though her personal jet setting would be presumably funded by herself, the public would be constantly complaining about 'paying' for her jaunts all over the globe. Realistically she would have to curtail her personal travel both to fulfill her duties and to reduce the optic that she is frivolous.
Probably most problematic is her allegiance to her mother, I don't think that the firm wants grifting hanger on Sarah associated with the royal family thus Beatrice would need to publicly distance herself from her mother and everything I've read suggests that Beatrice is incapable of cutting those apron strings.

^^ a thoughtful and insightful post.

Hopefully she will have much success with her charities and a full life, as I do understand the dilemma you pose Sndral.

Do you really think so?

I see her as drifting, and miserable.
If she did have an official role, I think it would give her a sense of purpose, and then perhaps other aspects of her life would take shape.

Honestly, one thing Beatrice never seems, to me, is miserable. She always has a smile on her face.

I think it would probably be good for her to have an official role, but it wouldn't stop the criticism of her looks and the comparisons with her parents. However, Beatrice really does seem suited to charity work, because her enthusiastic nature makes her a good ambassador for whatever cause she is promoting.

But I don't think she will probably ever have an official role in the royal family, for the reasons Iluvbertie listed.

I didn’t imply that by any means. Please don’t put words in my mouth. I said full life meaning I hope she finds fulfillment in a career and her charity work that she cares about. IMO at this time I don’t think she has a career.

I like Beatrice. She seems to be a nice young lady who, from what I've seen, is sweet, caring and even polite to paparazzis waiting for her outside of restaurants.
Dedicated to her charity work which she mostly does out of the media spotlight and she's barely put her foot wrong so I really don't get all the bad press she's getting.
Yes, her parents are two big buffons but they've managed to raise two levelheaded, sensible daughters and have what seems to be an ideal relationship for a divorced couple.
In my opinion had it not been for the behaviour of their parents the York sisters would be part of The Firm. Now it's not to be like that but I do think the Windsors are missing out on an opportunity in both ladies and especially in Beatrice.

In my opinion had it not been for the behaviour of their parents the York sisters would be part of The Firm. Now it's not to be like that but I do think the Windsors are missing out on an opportunity in both ladies and especially in Beatrice.

Their parents are a large factor, but I think some of Beatrice's own associations have been a problem as well.

I've read some things about Dave Clark that mention how pushy he was, and how he used Beatrice to make contacts with wealthy people and scrounge invitations, etc.
Before that, she dated that guy who had a prison record.

And some of her friends fall into the category of Eurotrash (much like Fergie's).

Good for her! Great charity helping these kids.

Princess Beatrice visited Grace’s Place, part of Forget Me Not Children’s Hospice, which provides care and support to children with life shortening conditions across North Manchester on November 20th:
Princess Beatrice visits new children's hospice in Bury | Granada - ITV News
Princess Beatrice visits Forget Me Not Children's Hospice in Radcliffe | The Bolton News

Beatrice is patron of Forget Me Not Children’s Hospice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom