Prince William Current Events 7: January-February 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
azile1710 said:
Why? Other European royals seem to be able to balance duty with some degree of normalcy. Denmark, and Norway are prime examples. Why must it different for William?

I also don't see why Beatrice and Eugenie are placed on the same level of duty as William and Harry- they are too far down the line of succession and I don't think that's a fair parallel to draw. I think it's a waste of national resources to limit their lives to forced royal duty. As a taxpayer, wouldn't you rather they supported themselves (and had their own lives) instead of your hard-earned dollars?

Other royal families limit the number of royals in the "inner" circle of royal duties. I think this is responsible and fair.

Eliza

These countries do not have a Sovereign who upholds the fount of honour for an ancient and established peerage. The traditions in Britain are far more numerous and the prestige of the Crown is very important to Parliament for exercising the royal perogative through the Prime Minister. To tarnish the Crown is to diminish the perogative and accelerate the republican movement with a defined Constitution.

It goes very deep in the political establishment of the UK.

Denmark, and Norway are prime examples. Why must it different for William?

We aren't Denmark or Norway. We expect more of our Monarchs. We want to see our King as a King not as an everyday person. Otherwise what's the point?

I also don't see why Beatrice and Eugenie are placed on the same level of duty as William and Harry- they are too far down the line of succession and I don't think that's a fair parallel to draw.

Because they are still in the Royal Family and should do their duty.

I think it's a waste of national resources to limit their lives to forced royal duty. As a taxpayer, wouldn't you rather they supported themselves (and had their own lives) instead of your hard-earned dollars?

No I wouldn't. I pay them to do that duty

It's interesting to hear the degrees of passion associated with this topic.

Yes... I hear what you are saying. However.... none of these other countries have a direct heir who is divorced.

The monarchy has worked for a decade on damage control and PR spinning needed for some of Charles' choices (which now have all seemed to work out in a romantic happily-ever-after way). I can't imagine the Monarchy, the British Government and the Church of England is looking forward to repeating this any time soon.

Isn't the crown is more greatly tarnished when an arranged marriage to an aristrocrat ends in divorce than when an heir marries a less well-bred woman?

Eliza

The Monarchy doesn't work on the strength of one person. It works on what it means. It is a uniting force. People might say Princess Anne is rude but you'll never ever hear anyone (apart from republicans) saying a bad word about the Queen. She is just so loved. The Monarchy is about more than William and his wife to be or not to be.

The Queen is the Head of Church, Head of State, the Sovereign - there's almost something divine about her. Her presence is so powerful and passion does run high. We love her. And that love is what keeps the monarchy alive - Charles will get that love too - because he'll be our King. William in time, will get that love. It's automatic. It's an automatic love and deference that we give. But we can't give that to someone who want's to be 'normal'. It wouldn't be proper. And thats the problem William has. If he rejects that love then he rejects the whole principle of monarchy - and thats when it falls.

BeatrixFan said:
No I wouldn't. I pay them to do that duty

Well, that's your perspective and that's fine.

On the contrary, I know there are a lot of British taxpayers who do not agree.

I'm just not convinced that the random situation of birth should dictate that an individual be a puppet and not a person.

Eliza

BeatrixFan said:
The Queen is the Head of Church, Head of State, the Sovereign - there's almost something divine about her. Her presence is so powerful and passion does run high. We love her.

This is the point on which we will agree to disagree.

The Queen is indeed deserving of love and admiration certainly, because of the role she fulfills. On this I agree.

I just can not agree to use the term "divine". She is a human- and after all is said and done, she will still be merely a woman. An important woman yes, but just a woman.

Eliza

And that's what seperates us from other countries. She has an almost divine presence - she is held up above all others. She isn't a woman. She isn't a human. She's our Queen.

Concerning the Hello poll 'Would you like William and Kate to get married'. I shared my opinion on this subject in responce to an email earlier today, but I would like to do so here as well. I voted NO! My reason is that I see nothing in her character or personality that indicates compassion for others. Some posters have mentioned that WE don't know what she does with her time, well the press is said to 'Follow her everywhere'. They know when she goes sking, shopping for groceries, shopping at Christmas, when she gets on a bus, when she goes out drinking, even when she goes to the dentist, but not One Word about when she helps serve food to the homeless at a shelter, or preparing sack lunches at a local church, NOTHING. I work at a homeless shelter, little children from all over the city have come and offered their time to our clients. The only thing we've seen the future Queen Kate do for the less fortunate is "Take off her clothes and prance in front of a Prince" and many other young men for money. UNTIL I see her priorities change, my personal opinion of Kate will remain unfortunately LOW.

It amazes me that so many people think William and Kate (and other celebs) are too young to marry. I'm marrying at 23, my fiance is the same age...most of my friends who are the same age are either engaged or married...my parents married at this age, most of my friends and family have married at these ages....I guess I'm a little confused!

Britters said:
It amazes me that so many people think William and Kate (and other celebs) are too young to marry. I'm marrying at 23, my fiance is the same age...most of my friends who are the same age are either engaged or married...my parents married at this age, most of my friends and family have married at these ages....I guess I'm a little confused!

Yes many of my friends are married or engaged too and im Williams age. However, if they are getting married, Kate is not just becoming Williams wife, but a Princess of the UK and that demands a lot of work and also alot of maturity. So in my opinion, her life will change forever if she marries William and to do it young isn't, for me, isn't ideal. The position that she will have, (a British royal princess) will require maturity and strength, all of which the average person their age might not yet have to its fullest. Of course, they they probably are mature people, but at that age, you cant really be THAT mature to have so much responsibility. Just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Kate and Will are very similar. As BeatrixFan said, he sees them with long faces and grey suits. I think it could work both ways. It could either work for them or against them. Couples need to be "in sync" and understand what the other is going through. Having sort of the same personality helps with that. On the other hand, there is the expression "opposites attract" for a reason. I think William has stayed with Kate maybe longer than he normally would have because of all the positive attention on their relationship. Supposedly everyone in the royal family is "delighted" with Kate and accepts her. On them marrying, I have to say I don't really have a set opinion on it. I'm sure she will have the royal makeover if they get engaged and maybe she'll crack a smile or two and maybe even a wave. But I can't say about why she would make a really bad/good Queen to me because she won't be my Queen but a Queen. So my opinion is really kind of a moot point, but I'll still express it. :D

It's simply too early to tell what will happen, if anything. William has said publicly he is too young to get married and that's all we know at this point.

traciebelle said:
Concerning the Hello poll 'Would you like William and Kate to get married'. I shared my opinion on this subject in responce to an email earlier today, but I would like to do so here as well. I voted NO! My reason is that I see nothing in her character or personality that indicates compassion for others. Some posters have mentioned that WE don't know what she does with her time, well the press is said to 'Follow her everywhere'. They know when she goes sking, shopping for groceries, shopping at Christmas, when she gets on a bus, when she goes out drinking, even when she goes to the dentist, but not One Word about when she helps serve food to the homeless at a shelter, or preparing sack lunches at a local church, NOTHING. .

I am just one of the posters that pointed out that we don't know what she does with her time and no, the press is not there 24/7. Do you think the times she has been photographed are the only times she has been out?
She may not pack lunches(?), but, do we know that she doesn't work for her parents and donate half her salary to charity?
Nobody has been able to explain why they feel she should do charity work. Give the girl a break, she probably wants to live her own life, how would any of us feel if one or two people told us how to live? We would rightly, tell them to get lost!:D

Interesting artical I Wish William and Kate all the best :) (and William now that ive had a closer look dont worry your hair looks just fine) :p Hope he and his Brother passes!

I can't believe what I'm reading!

I know this is a public forum for civil debates and voicing opinions but I can not believe how many people on this board think they know what's best for Prince William. None of us know him, we've never had a conversation with him or Kate so how can any of us possibly rate their maturity level?!

Saying Will and Kate would be better off waiting until they're older to be married is insane. How do you explain the high divorce rate when taking into consideration that the average age of marriage is 28 for men and 26 for women (from a Time magazine article). Getting married young is not for everyone but being older doesn't ensure anything.

To be prefectly honest, I'm not a big fan of Kate but when it's right, it's right...period. And the only two people that know that are William and Kate.

Noelle

A lot of people think its right and this love will last. Its common sense that if William married now it would be bad. They would rarely see each other and while William is playing soldier, Kate will have to learn to be a lonely princess working all the time. They need more life experience and maturity for this royal couple to make it.

Princejohnny25 said:
A lot of people think its right and this love will last. Its common sense that if William married now it would be bad. They would rarely see each other and while William is playing soldier, Kate will have to learn to be a lonely princess working all the time. They need more life experience and maturity for this royal couple to make it.

It can, as you say be quite lonely for any soldiers wife, although I don't think William will even be an ordinary officer. He hasn't even finished his Sandhurst traing, then there will be his chosen regiment training.
If They married, Kate would probably be unable to work, due to the pressures placed on her employer and workmates.
Time spent together could be more important than age.;)

William has told us that he is not ready for marriage now. I think William does not want a long distance marriage like Andrew and Fergie. I truly believe Andrew and Fergie would be married now if they had more time together during their marriage. Fergie was not married to the heir to the throne and look at the press she got can you imagine the press William's wife is going to get? They need to be together during that time of engagement and marriage.:)

The News of the World doesn't seem to improve with keeping.

Laraib said:
WOW, what if they DONT get married? The public is paying for someone who isn't even a royal member yet? That's sad.
very sad indeed

Originally Posted by Laraib
WOW, what if they DONT get married? The public is paying for someone who isn't even a royal member yet? That's sad.
very sad indeed
I agree with you.
Officer Cadet Wales AKA HRH Prince William is doing well at Sandhurst and as far as I know Harry is as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom