Prince William Current Events 20: May-January 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the best way for William to serve on the front lines is deploy him in conjunction with the SAS. I think with the SAS he will be able to have anonymity, he needs, and the soldiers need.
William is not a member, nor has he received the training to become a member of this elite unit, he is also in the RAF now.:flowers:

I think William's Search and Rescue decision was one of the best compromises, but I had understood that it was a domestic position and that's what he was training for at the moment. Are SAR pilots deployed to combat front lines as well?
This is what William said -
I didn't join the forces to be mollycoddled or treated any different. I think as a future leader of the Armed Forces, it's really important you at least get the opportunity to be credible and to do the job I signed up for, as best I can. That's all I want to do. "The search and rescue role is now slightly different to obviously being able to go to Afghanistan, but it's still doing an important job.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, that's what I remembered, Skydragon. I thought he had come to terms with not being able to go to combat and settled for an equally important job with the military in a non-combat environment. I wonder what's made him suddenly go back to the "I want to go to Afghanistan" line?

:previous: I think that is the spin the media are putting on it. A simple remark that 'if Harry can do it, so could I', doesn't really equate to 'I want', IMO.:flowers:

:previous: I think that is the spin the media are putting on it. A simple remark that 'if Harry can do it, so could I', doesn't really equate to 'I want', IMO.:flowers:

Very much like having a 27th birthday doesn´t equate to "he is getting married".

Prince William has spoken openly of his desire to fight for his country and dropped the strongest hint yet that he might still be given a frontline role.

Prince William says 'I want to fight in Afghanistan', as Harry reveals ambition to return to war zone | Mail Online

I hope William is allowed to go to Afghanistan abd Harry is allowed to return to fight. I understand who they are, but they are still soldiers, they should be allowed to defend their country and fight with there fellow soldiers. :flowers:

I think William's Search and Rescue decision was one of the best compromises, but I had understood that it was a domestic position and that's what he was training for at the moment. Are SAR pilots deployed to combat front lines as well?

I agree ... and actually just a second or so ago, I was thinkin that it would have been good if William could have been involved in search and rescue missions like the one currently taking place in the atlantic here for Air France 447. I mean he would feel like he's getting some action & training / experience, it would be a very useful activity, and he won't be in harms way, except for possible weather interferences.

:previous: And he would be doing something to help people - he would be serving in the military, just in a different capacity.

With the SAR thing even if they deny him the opportunity to go to a war area could he still go somewhere else to do his operational tour?

With the SAR thing even if they deny him the opportunity to go to a war area could he still go somewhere else to do his operational tour?

Yes, I am sure I read somewhere about the possibility of him being deployed to the Falklands, although I doubt if they would do that considering the delicate nature of that issue for the Argentinians.

I hope he atleast gets sent somewhere, I dunno if he doesn't I'll sorta be left with the feeling that all this was for nothing.

ETA: Here's the original press release from last year
An operational tour — of which he is expected to do one, if not two — lasts 30-36 months, which will take him to about 2014. He would normally be expected to do one six to eight-week stint in the Falkland Islands every year.
And here's what we're hearing now
When told he seemed to suggest an operational role was not an impossibility, the prince replied: 'In my mind, of course. If you talk to everyone else it's impossible. I still remain hopeful there's a chance

Yes, I am sure I read somewhere about the possibility of him being deployed to the Falklands, although I doubt if they would do that considering the delicate nature of that issue for the Argentinians.
:ermm: Where did you read that he might be deployed to the Falklands?

Falklands denies any arrangements for SAR pilot Prince William — MercoPress

Argentina unhappy over Prince William’s Falklands posting

These are just two of the sources that ran the story.

I hope he atleast gets sent somewhere, I dunno if he doesn't I'll sorta be left with the feeling that all this was for nothing.

ETA: Here's the original press release from last year
And here's what we're hearing now

I think there is a difference in these reports about where he would go.

e.g. he could serve in the Caribbean (as he did last year with the navy) or in any number of other areas but not in a war zone such as Afghanistan.

^That would be a good idea! (the Caribbean) It might not be his ideal place to go but I'm sure once he's there he'll enjoy himself. I hope they do something like that.

Surely this is getting into the political arena - a no-no for royals surely (if it isn't ok for his father to 'interfere' in a matter of architecture how can it be acceptable for Prince William to be making public comments about issues such as this?)

:previous:
I think your right iluvbertie. But this article does have a point, Diana was an amazingly compassionate woman, she was a strong woman. But I think William does need to be tougher and braver than his mother. :flowers:

Iluvbertie;
These are just two of the sources that ran the story.
:ermm::sad: I hope this doesn't turn out bad. Obviously I can't speak for everyone in Argentia, but I have several friends from there and as much as they like the royal family, they seem to think this a bad idea.

Those articles are several months old. If I remember correctly, the MOD ended up denying that any Falklands post was ever discussed. Whether that's true or not, I think the quick push-back that happened just from floating newspaper articles about the possibility of such a posting probably nipped the idea completely in the bud.

:ermm::sad: I hope this doesn't turn out bad. Obviously I can't speak for everyone in Argentia, but I have several friends from there and as much as they like the royal family, they seem to think this a bad idea.
He will be posted where he gets posted, they do a strict rotation of crews and hopefully William will be no exception. If you look on it that the Falkland Islanders will welcome him with open arms as opposed to the Argentinians being upset....
It is no different to him being posted to Afghanistan, many of them wouldn't welcome him either!:D

It is no different to him being posted to Afghanistan, many of them wouldn't welcome him either!
:D That's true - hadn't thought about that! :) Anyway, I think he'll do fine where ever he goes.

Well i'm glad to see William getting behind something he loves and is good at. It would be a shame if Water Polo didn't happen in the olympics. :flowers:

It's certainly a great way to travel around incognito!:flowers:

Quite not incognito, if the daily mail photographers have recognised him. But it would be a good way to travel around; I agree, a nice way to hide from the nasty press.
He does look exceddingly un-princely like in the leathers. :whistling:;)

he looks great in those leathers !!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom