Prince William Current Events 16: June-September 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Prince William, centre, competes in the Rundle Cup Polo match at Tidworth Polo Club, in England, Saturday, July 14, 2007. Prince William helped his army polo team to victory against their navy rivals in a hard-fought match. He scored two of the army's five goals at the annual polo clash between the forces, the Rundle Cup.

Prince William

Prince William playing polo 1
Prince William playing polo 2
Prince William playing polo 3
Prince William playing polo 4
Prince William playing polo 5

Prince William talks with Chelsea Pensioners following the Hackett Rundle Cup Royal Navy v Army polo match
Prince William talks with Chelsea Pensioners following the Hackett Rundle Cup Royal Navy v Army polo match 2

Gallery of Pictures from Isifa

None of that has been announced, but I would have thought he will get some army experience before receiving training in any of the other arms. :)

Most definitely. I'm not sure I believe he will be able to do anything in the navy. Maybe helicopter flying? He said he is interested in flying helicopters and this is something he can do from a practical point of view, considering his height. There are no height restrictions for the helicopters, right? But is he really going to be put through Dartmouth Naval College just so he can fly a helicopter? I can't see him, after all the Army training, going then into a major naval course and serving on a ship somewhere. And then, apparently, he'll have to get some kind of RAF wings (certainly not jets?) like his father did. I hope no one reasonably expects he'll be finished with all that in just two years! :lol:

Most definitely. I'm not sure I believe he will be able to do anything in the navy. Maybe helicopter flying? He said he is interested in flying helicopters and this is something he can do from a practical point of view, considering his height. There are no height restrictions for the helicopters, right? But is he really going to be put through Dartmouth Naval College just so he can fly a helicopter? I can't see him, after all the Army training, going then into a major naval course and serving on a ship somewhere. And then, apparently, he'll have to get some kind of RAF wings (certainly not jets?) like his father did. I hope no one reasonably expects he'll be finished with all that in just two years! :lol:
There are height restrictions for helicopters and planes in the RAF. You must be over 5ft, :lol: and under 6ft 4in. Piloting any craft is out for William though. You must have perfect vision without spectacles and if you have had laser surgery, that is not counted as perfect vision. Even flight crew have a maximum height and weight. In 'real' RAF life he is not 'up to muster' to become a pilot because he does not have the required uncorrected sight. There are other occupations within the RAF though.

I have no idea about the RN but I would have thought the same rules apply to their pilots.

i dont know if this is the right place for this question, but i wasn't sure where else to put it....
after he is married, will William's wife outrank Camilla - presuming Charles isn't yet king?

The question would perhaps do better in Questions About Titles thread, but here is the short answer: no, William's wife would not outrank Camilla.

If Queen Elizabeth is alive when William marries, Camilla will hold precedence over her.
If Charles is King when William marries, Camilla will automatically hold precedence over all women in the Kingdom, including Prince William's wife.
If Camilla outlives Charles, William's wife, as Queen, will hold precedence over all women in the Kingdom. Camilla will likely be second (she may come after William's daughters, I'm not sure about this).

How lovely. Mo can set up a barrow in the nave selling an assortment of tat.

There are height restrictions for helicopters and planes in the RAF. You must be over 5ft, :lol: and under 6ft 4in. Piloting any craft is out for William though. You must have perfect vision without spectacles and if you have had laser surgery, that is not counted as perfect vision. Even flight crew have a maximum height and weight. In 'real' RAF life he is not 'up to muster' to become a pilot because he does not have the required uncorrected sight. There are other occupations within the RAF though.

I have no idea about the RN but I would have thought the same rules apply to their pilots.

In the US the vision requirements are slightly different, so I was confused for that reason. Here, you must have 20/20 uncorrected vision to fly jets only, but for other craft, you can have 20/20 corrected, either with contacts, glasses or laser. That's the standard for US Navy pilots, at any rate. It may be different for Air Force or Army, but I doubt it, because Navy pilots have the most stringet standards since they must land on aircraft carriers! :rolleyes: About the height requirements in the US military, I don't know about them in the US, if they are the same as British or not.

I can say with personal knowledge that his fire training was hard! It was hard for me, anyhow! ;) The practicals were fine, but the written exam was difficult because there was so much information, and so many detailed questions for each kind of fire and each kind of extinguishing method.

Last edited:
The need to wear specs normally means a person would not even be considered for any pilot training in the RAF and that includes helicopters. As I said I know nothing about the vision requirements for the navy, but would imagine it is the same as they are trained at RAF bases

Health - Who we want – RAF Careers
BBC - North West Wales Holyhead - advice from RAF Valley
I am afraid that entry standards for medical, educational and personal standards are very strict and currently your need to wear glasses would prevent your selection for pilot. Although I can imagine that this must be a huge disappointment to you there are a lot of other careers that may interest you from officer branches that take you up close to the aircraft - from our Engineering roles to controlling the action as an Air Traffic or Fighter Controller.

learndirect - royal navy officer

Last edited:
The door-pocket of the helicopter he arrived in contained a copy of Country Life and I tried hard to see what the other magazine in there was. Maybe Spectator? In the Abaca pic where he is pointing (Image 6 of 49) he reminds me so much of Prince Philip. It's always a pleasure to see the Mountbatten traits shining through so well! Poor Churchill is turning around in agony in his grave! :lol:

Why is Chuchill turing around in agony in his grave?

Churchill, Queen Mary and the Queen Mother weren't impressed by Lord Mountbatten's vanity and ambition.

The door-pocket of the helicopter he arrived in contained a copy of Country Life and I tried hard to see what the other magazine in there was. Maybe Spectator? In the Abaca pic where he is pointing (Image 6 of 49) he reminds me so much of Prince Philip. It's always a pleasure to see the Mountbatten traits shining through so well! Poor Churchill is turning around in agony in his grave! :lol:

Does anybody know why William arrived at the Scouting event by helicopter? This is precisely the sort of thigns the Royals end up getting bad press for - William really should avoid using a helicopter unless he has multiple engagements in different parts of the country!

Will Prince William finally attend an European royal event ?

In April the Rijksvoorlichtingsdienst (the Netherlands State Information Agency) issued the following communiqué:

On Saturday 1 September 2007 His Royal Highness The Prince of Orange will host a festive reception for the occasion of his 40th birthday. The event will be held at Palace Het Loo in Apeldoorn. See wonderful picture.

Besides family and friends also members of foreign Royal Houses and of royal dynasties have been invited for this celebration.

The reason for this late celebration lies in the birth of the Prince's third daughter, Her Royal Highness Princess Ariane of the Netherlands (April 10th). The Prince had his 40th birthday on 27 April. He celebrated it in familial surroundings.

From what we have understood, the event lasts a few days in private, with the event on Saturday September 1st as main day. The grand palace Het Loo will be a fairytale décor and also traditional fireworks will be organized in the grand park. See wonderful picture of the royal fireworks.

Now the question is: will Prince William finally appear on a grand royal event? Or Charles and Camilla?

Does anybody know why William arrived at the Scouting event by helicopter? This is precisely the sort of thigns the Royals end up getting bad press for - William really should avoid using a helicopter unless he has multiple engagements in different parts of the country!

I wonder if the Jamboree engagement was something he decided to participate in on a whim. Is it possible? I am not sure, knowing how the royal family generally do not made eleventh hour changes unless there is an emergency or serious conflict. Yet the Duke of Kent was scheduled to do this on his own, and the Duke is President of the Scouts or something. PW has no official connection to the Scouts or Guides. Maybe it was suggested to pencil in William because he could (and did) bring so much young life & attention into the event. I don't know, given his training and the fitting into his schedule, if he found it was necessary to go there as he did (by army helicopter). It would be interesting if we could know the Clarence House explanation for PW's involvement in this engagement!

The first time that I noticed the announcement that William was participating in the opening was about 10 days in advance. I agree that the event received little or no attention until William was involved. No one mentioned how the Duke of Kent got there. Maybe the helicopter and/or William's presence were for the Duke's benefit. Maybe in the future, William will be assuming this role. Maybe they simply thought that William would be a more obvious choice to work with these youth because of his age.

A lot of maybes and no answers. I'm glad he could go though. The pictures make it look like everyone had a good time.

On the question of Royals using helicopters, they are often used on the grounds of safety and cost. A helicopter gets the person from A to B quickly without the need for security or any disruption to traffic, etc. on the way, and therefore involves the minimum number of police, security, and other local staff involvement.

Now, of course, we have people complaining about 'carbon footprints'. But unless we all stay at home and do nothing there always has to be 'best choices' made.

The first time that I noticed the announcement that William was participating in the opening was about 10 days in advance. I agree that the event received little or no attention until William was involved. No one mentioned how the Duke of Kent got there. Maybe the helicopter and/or William's presence were for the Duke's benefit. Maybe in the future, William will be assuming this role. Maybe they simply thought that William would be a more obvious choice to work with these youth because of his age.

A lot of maybes and no answers. I'm glad he could go though. The pictures make it look like everyone had a good time.

Definitely. I'm totally glad he did it. I just had exactlly the same wonders as you expressed here. for me chiefly, the biggest curiosity is not about the helicopter but about his possible planned involvement with the Scouts in the future.

It's not much, but it's a surprising bit of real "news" from an unexpected source. Anything not about Kate can be called, these days, "real news" about him, no? :lol:

Prince William ready for next phase of military career
From Sawf (very shady) it seems like virtual reprint of the Essex article which Skydragon posted, see page 6.

Last edited:
Before we get too carrried away with royal wedding fever it's worth pointing out that the sources for the current tabloid rehash are "un-named royal sources".
As there is absolutely nothing new that hasn't already been said a hundred times before, we won't be reigniting the Wills & Kate speculation just yet.

thanks.

The British Forums moderators

Does anyone think that William was really in Kenya and that is know on Tropical Island? Why wouldn't he be in Scotland with his family? Why were there no pics of him Kenya? He should be home pretty soon and than maybe we will get pics of him running with other army men.

Last edited:
it seems that they're really back together:w00t2::wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom