Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 4: February-May 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those rumors have been runnng rampant for what seems like forever. Jaded lady that I am becoming, I think I'll refrain from holding my breath until the engagement is announced. I might turn blue, pass out and start breathing again!;)

Cat

There was an article about her being called Katherine two years ago before the broke-up. To be honest I am sick and tired of speculation, my Lord whatever happens, happens. Period!

Last edited:
I did always think there would be an announcement early next year with a summer wedding in 2008. But who's to say they won't have a late autumn/winter wedding like the Queen. Maybe watching the documentry on the Queens Wedding last night on More 4 has made me think that is possible.

The article in The People made me :lol: like he would propose with a ring where people could see. She wouldn't be able to wear a ring immediately like normal people - not until an announcement.

I still have a bad feeling about them, like something will turn the other way.

What absolute Rubbish! This thread is for current EVENTS, not current speculation. For all you know William proposed ages ago. As for the Catherine business, slow news day. I hear she uses Middleton for a last name these days too.

I did always think there would be an announcement early next year with a summer wedding in 2008.

You mean you expect William to marry before he gets engaged? :D (I think you meant 2009!)

The papers are going to go on and on about William's imminent engagement to Kate (Catherine?!) until it actually happens, at which point they'll start speculating about problems in their relationship and marriage.

Is it just me or do you think Kate is getting a little big-headed on the name thing?

Big-headed :confused: It's her name, what on earth is wrong with her wanting to be called by it? Where did 'Kate' come from anyway, perhaps she has always gone by Catherine and just the press call her Kate.

I am stiil reading that they are in Mustique on vacation at since the media was saying the same thing before the wedding and it did not happen then.

Last edited:
Last edited:
If one reads the article carefully it becomes clear that "Kate" never chose that nickname for herself. It was basically "invented" by the papers probably to enable headlines such as "Kiss me, Kate!" etc. Otherwise her "Kate" would probably be spelled with a "C" given that she's called Catherine. Also similar articles were already written a couple of years back. Looks like the papers are rehashing old stuff really.

I missed the articles a couple of years ago so all of this broo-hah over Catherine using her own name flew right by me. Once more the D---- Mail had column inches to fill and decided to fill them with ridiculous stories such as this. Though, as always, I have to thank them and their staff for the usual chuckle with my morning coffee!:lol:

Cat

Catherine sounds a bit more royal than Kate, which probably is a relief to the protocol people who run those things. I wonder what they'll do with Chelsy if Harry ever pops the question. It's quite an UNROYAL name. Officially, I suppose she'll be Princess William of Wales; unofficially, she'll be Princess Kate, whether she likes it or not, just like his mom was always Princess Di.

Catherine's could go by her middle name of Elizabeth. She definitely has both a first name and a middle name that will easily fit in with the royal family, doesn't she?

Last edited by a moderator:
Big-headed :confused: It's her name, what on earth is wrong with her wanting to be called by it? Where did 'Kate' come from anyway, perhaps she has always gone by Catherine and just the press call her Kate.

from what i've heard/read (can't recall at this moment), the tabloids gave Cathrine the name Kate to make it easier to put on the headlines or something...i mean if you think about it they do at times call William Wills. only difference is William had a nickname he was ok with while Cathrine was just slapped on the name Kate by the media...

or another way to put it: i guess it doesn't flow off the tounge as William does...j/k.:lol:

only difference is William had a nickname he was ok with while Cathrine was just slapped on the name Kate by the media...
:lol:
For all anyone knows William hates being called Wills! :whistling:

hehehe that's true too...hmm i wonder if there are any articles by DM or the Sun to say if William likes that name or not.

Yahoo! Groups
I think this is the best article yet about Kate. The author seems to have really stepped back and examined kate from what we truly know and not what people assume, or what a particular person thinks of her character. Of course there are a few assumptions as to when there will be a proposal, as everyone is now wondering when instead of if, but I think that if everyone took a look at her like this instead of judging her constantly, there would be a lot more of a chance at posisbly liking Catherine. :flowers:

P.S. I think Catherine just sounds more "princessly". I think Princess Kate woudl have sounded a little silly...

• Posts about Prince William have been moved to the Prince William current events thread;
• Posts about the styles of the children of William & Harry have been moved to the Wills 'n Harry Titles thread;
• Posts about "Days of Our Lives" have been deleted.

Warren
British Forums moderator

I hate when people try to shorten my to Nats or Natty. It so annoying! I tell them straight away that its Natalia pure and simple! She should have said it straight away that she was Catherine not Kate.

I hate when people try to shorten my to Nats or Natty. It so annoying! I tell them straight away that its Natalia pure and simple! She should have said it straight away that she was Catherine not Kate.

To whom? If she started speaking to the press, they would be all over her in a second.

I was under the impression that "unanmed sources" and "former classmates" who speak to the press were not to be trusted?

So Kate or Cathrine? What would her title be if she married William. I mean i know it would be Princess William of Wales, but commonly she is really not Princess Kate or Princess Cathrine??? Right??? Just like Diana was not Princess Diana in her own right? and she could not be Cathrine, Princess of Wales at least not yet, because weather some of us like it or not that tiltle is for now taken. Just wondering if any one had an answer for this newbie

Last edited:
She should have said it straight away that she was Catherine not Kate.

Mission impossible in Britain. Diana became Di and stayed Di, David Beckham will always be Becks and I could name at least another 50 famous people who suffer or don't suffer from this nicknaming. She will always be known as Kate in public and it's quite tacky to come up at this stage with this "call me Catherine" stuff. It wouldn't mean that people will take her more seriously anyway.

She will always be known as Kate in public and it's quite tacky to come up at this stage with this "call me Catherine" stuff. It wouldn't mean that people will take her more seriously anyway.
Why is it tacky that this young woman prefers to be called by the name her parents gave and her friends use?:ermm:

Why is it tacky that this young woman prefers to be called by the name her parents gave and her friends use?:ermm:

It's tacky at this stage - how long is she being referred to as Kate in the media? At least for six or seven years. Now that things seem to get serious with Wills (who will always be Wills in the media, btw) it's about time to be called a serious first name? If she was so keen on being called her correct name - very understandable - she should have started complaining in 2001 and not in 2008.

It's tacky at this stage - how long is she being referred to as Kate in the media? At least for six or seven years. Now that things seem to get serious with Wills (who will always be Wills in the media, btw) it's about time to be called a serious first name? If she was so keen on being called her correct name - very understandable - she should have started complaining in 2001 and not in 2008.
We have not seen a statement from Catherine to the effect that she wants anyone to call her anything, have we?

Instead we have the usual 'unnamed friends', source etc. SHE probably couldn't care less that the media and some members of the public are unable to grasp that her name is CATHERINE. SHE probably realises the futility of expecting the media and some members of the public to address her correctly.

What is tacky is the apparent need of the simple media and public to shorten or invent nicknames for anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom