Prince William and Kate Middleton Current Events 3: January-February 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a couple of days ago online (which led to me googling which got me here lol) that Kate has just been given 24/7 security , giving rise to an imminent engagement announcement .....is this true? ( that she has been given the security)

A friend and I couldn't imagine an engagement being announced then William going off for 4 months and leaving her to face the Press:rolleyes: alone

The article I read about the 24/7 security was careful not to say that it actually happened, but heavily implied that it did. I don't think that Kate has the security, just that it is being discussed and planned, should the day come when it would be needed.

But Kate wasn't born into royalty like she was...unless I'm misunderstanding you...I don't see how it is the same. Kate isn't an heiress either...not really.

Er, what is your definition of "heiress"? Kate's parents are multimillionaires who own a prosperous business and a home that is worth more than most people will see in their lifetimes at once. Most likely Kate will inherit more money from her parents than several richly titled but poorly funded nobles will.

Er, what is your definition of "heiress"? Kate's parents are multimillionaires who own a prosperous business and a home that is worth more than most people will see in their lifetimes at once. Most likely Kate will inherit more money from her parents than several richly titled but poorly funded nobles will.

I mean she isn't an heiress in the traditional sense...her parents are self-made. Kids of those parents who are first-generation rich like that tend to carve their own paths....

But Kate wasn't born into royalty like she was...unless I'm misunderstanding you...I don't see how it is the same. Kate isn't an heiress either...not really.
Catherine is as much an heiress as the likes of Paris Hilton. She has money from a trust and has no need to work. I just wish someone could show me where it says that any future bride of William's or Harry's has to slave away to earn a crust. Some evidence to suggest that rich women who do not choose to enter paid employment, are any less rounded or fulfilled than someone who cleans floors or runs a business. Many women who have never done a days work in their entire lives have experienced more things, met so many different people and done more with their time than anyone who is tied to a job 50 weeks of a year.

So where is the evidence that not having employment makes her a lesser person! :ermm:

Catherine is as much an heiress as the likes of Paris Hilton. She has money from a trust and has no need to work. I just wish someone could show me where it says that any future bride of William's or Harry's has to slave away to earn a crust. Some evidence to suggest that rich women who do not choose to enter paid employment, are any less rounded or fulfilled than someone who cleans floors or runs a business. Many women who have never done a days work in their entire lives have experienced more things, met so many different people and done more with their time than anyone who is tied to a job 50 weeks of a year.

So where is the evidence that not having employment makes her a lesser person! :ermm:

I'm reading The Marlborough House Set at the moment. It has been a real eye-opener to me. Some of those aristocratic Victorian/Edwardian ladies with very impressive titles and financial resources to match and no need to lift a finger to do anything constructive lived the most interesting and useful lives possible. Yes they dined well and often partied all night and chased foxes on horseback all day, but as well as that some of them worked tirelessly to help the disadvantaged or, if not going so far as to take a hands-on role and using their own money to fund their charitable activities, promoted worthwhile causes.

Princess Mary Adelaide was famous for her charitable concerns and activities as was Princess May of Teck (as she then was).

And the ladies who were not moved to do "worthwhile" things, travelled extensively and met interesting people and at home took a serious interest in the running of their estates, thus helping to preserve the country's heritage.

And some of them, after fulfilling their duty to provide sons and heirs for their husbands, busied themselves keeping the Prince of Wales/King entertained and happy.:lol:

These wealthy, titled women were intelligent, well read, well travelled, very interesting people who could hold their own in conversation with kings and princes and politicians.

And of course there were a few wealthy American girls amongst this group, too.

Last edited:

I don't think it makes her a lesser person, but I'm sure others do. Everyone has their own path...it would be nice not to work and just chill living off some trust fund :cool:

It's just unusual for a modern woman to act that way...especially since she isn't exactly Paris Hilton, I would doubt Kate has that much money...she's famous but only because of her boyfriend. My guess is that she would be keeping up a different lifestyle if she wasn't famous and dating William...but I could be wrong. She may have always wanted to just go to college, live life and then get married.

I just think it would be strange not to pick up any work ethic when your parents worked so hard for their millions...

I'm wondering with Kate is going to do if Prince William break up with her and do not reunite with her? Do you think she will get a job then?

^ Maybe not. She might just set her sights on marrying someone else and being a trophy wife to another aristocratic heir or some polo player. :cool:

If the reports about her are to be believed she always wanted to marry, have children and be a housewife. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think she ever claimed to be a career woman or have any ambition to get a certain type of job. And obviously she doesn't need to either since she has the financial resources to not hold a job. People probably just projected their expectations for a modern future Princess onto her and are now dissapointed that she doesn't fulfill them. During their break-up last spring she didn't change anything about her life style, so I'm not sure whether she'd be living differently if she wasn't dating William. But if she had been with any other man for 4 years, she might very well be married already. I don't think that one needs work experience to be a good royal. She certainly has enough time on her hands to educate herself (outside of a university since another degree wouldn't be of use anyways if she's not looking for employment). She might be studying foreign languages, learn about politics etc. We don't know, hence it's rather far-fetched to conclude that she doesn't have what it takes to be a good Princess.

These wealthy, titled women were intelligent, well read, well travelled, very interesting people who could hold their own in conversation with kings and princes and politicians.

And of course there were a few wealthy American girls amongst this group, too.

But then I was a bit shocked to read the biography of Edmonde Charles Roux about Coco Chanel and how bad Chanel was treated by her lover's set of society ladies, even when she already was a world-famous designer. They never let her forget that she had not been born into their world, so there was no chance at all for her to marry her lover, he simply never thought of asking her (it was the duke of westminster, BTW)... It was a tough time for people not born into these august circles.

Last edited:
I'm wondering with Kate is going to do if Prince William break up with her and do not reunite with her? Do you think she will get a job then?

I guess she will go on doing what she is doing now - securing her position in the world of arts, organizing exhibitions, train as a professional photographer and may one day open up a gallery. She has a degre in history of arts and now she busies herself in the circles where her degree is an advantage. Who says she doesn't work?

If the reports about her are to be believed she always wanted to marry, have children and be a housewife. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think she ever claimed to be a career woman or have any ambition to get a certain type of job. And obviously she doesn't need to either since she has the financial resources to not hold a job. People probably just projected their expectations for a modern future Princess onto her and are now dissapointed that she doesn't fulfill them. During their break-up last spring she didn't change anything about her life style, so I'm not sure whether she'd be living differently if she wasn't dating William. But if she had been with any other man for 4 years, she might very well be married already. I don't think that one needs work experience to be a good royal. She certainly has enough time on her hands to educate herself (outside of a university since another degree wouldn't be of use anyways if she's not looking for employment). She might be studying foreign languages, learn about politics etc. We don't know, hence it's rather far-fetched to conclude that she doesn't have what it takes to be a good Princess.

i really like this post. the whole women's equality thing was great but in a way it we shot ourselves in the foot too with it. nowadays, if don't go out and get a job you're seen as lacking ambition. not all women want to work outside the home. as for being a good royal, i agree too. since her "skills" have yet to be put to the test we can't possibly know if she'll be good at it. i think the biggest part of being a good royal is their ability to relate to the public. i'm not talking about the things that they "learn" but their charisma....which some of them have and some don't. and no matter how much life experience you have, charisma is something that can't be learned, you're born with it. catherine may have it by the bucket full or may not have one ouce of it, but since she hasn't had to carry out any official duties we don't know.

I really do not understand what is the problems with Kate not working. If most of us had the money not to have to work, most of us would not!!!! I know that if for some reason my family came into alot of money, the first thing my husband would do is say "goodbye" to his boss! So all of you guys that have a problem with her and saying you would not?

I think it is partially jealousy and partially not understanding. I don't think any of us have the right to judge people's lifestyles unless they are detrimental to others; what is life for after all than to enjoy it? Why would anyone want to curtail someone's happiness because if their own ideas of "worth" and "worthwhile pursuits"?

If I had a massive trust fund I would travel much more and do what I really love, which is painting, as well as building a great library and having horses to ride every day if I wished. Other people may think of these as frivolous, but it would make me happy.

It's quite unreasonable to expect everyone to work and live like a CEO of a non-profit or as ascetically as a Buddhist monk.

There is the question, "Well Kate might be Queen one day", but what does that really mean? What does your royal family mean to you, the British? Do you see them as role models? What capacity do you expect them to fulfill? Not everyone in the RF is a Zara, you see too many photos of Harry boozing it up and embarrassing himself in public, yet it's Chelsy of whom people question the suitability. Isn't it enough if they (or any royal + significant other) are happy with each other and remain so?

I really do not understand what is the problems with Kate not working. If most of us had the money not to have to work, most of us would not!!!! I know that if for some reason my family came into alot of money, the first thing my husband would do is say "goodbye" to his boss! So all of you guys that have a problem with her and saying you would not?

I don't have any problems with it at all. To me, it's just well-known that being married (and well-married, as high up on social ladder as she can achieve) is what she wants. I don't have any problem with it. I just state it as something of a fact. It's kind of obvious that is what she wants. I agree, BTW, with Isana that if Kate had been dating another man all this time, the last four or more years, she would most likely be married already. The fact that she has waited for William because of his special circumstances, shows that she knows something we don't. She clearly feels there is something to wait for. :cool:

Jo, as always, thanks for the story about Coco Chanel. I didn't know she was given that rather icy treatment even after she was famous. It's not surprising, but still it's new information for me and very interesting.

Last edited:
If she becomes a royal, she will find it very hard getting back into work. A royal's life is not all pleasure!!!

Coming into money after working for a long period of time,is quite different.I would't want my child not to get a job because mommy and daddy have money.

I find some people's presumptions about Kate fascinating. :rolleyes:We know, at best, 20% maybe of Kate's life and what she does during her day. Last time I looked she hasn't given an interview or done a reality show. Until Kate marries William and becomes public property,so to speak, it really isn't right or fair to judge Kate's work ethics since we really don't know that much or how much work she actually does.
If her parents who I presume are paying her bills( since the taxpayer is not) aren't complaining or forcing her to get a 9-5 job, then really no one else should be complaining. Maybe one of the reasons, Kate doesn't want a 9-5 job is partly due to the press. It is a lot easier to keep out of the papers if you don't have to be somewhere at a certain time every day.

Just because I don't have a problem with Kate not working does not mean that I don't think she is working behind the scene. She is working very hard and her parents are not complaining because she is working to become a princess! :ROFLMAO:I think that her parents want her to become williams wife and will do anything to get this goal. Why should they care if they have to spend a FEW pounds now to marry off kate to William.;) I still don't have a problems with her not working. This is between her and her parents, but don't think she is not working very hard everyday to get her prince.:)

Well, look what happened with Kate's last job. Her work hours were scrutinized. How she got the job was scrutinized endlessly. How she spent her hours on her job was picked apart relentlessly. Her vacation time speculation got down right abusive. As for her co-workers, somebody was chatting with the press about how she was crying on the phone and had supposedly blamed Prince Charles for the break up. What a mess! No wonder the poor girl wants to stay away from the workforce!

I suspect that Kate is doing things that we don't know about. She has "declared" her intention of pursuing a career in photography, and we have seen her organize an event already. Who knows, maybe she's doing something else along those lines. So she shops and goes on vacation, but it's not the entirety of her life, I'm sure!

At any rate, the move from Jigsaw is a good one.

Well, look what happened with Kate's last job. Her work hours were scrutinized. How she got the job was scrutinized endlessly. How she spent her hours on her job was picked apart relentlessly. Her vacation time speculation got down right abusive. As for her co-workers, somebody was chatting with the press about how she was crying on the phone and had supposedly blamed Prince Charles for the break up. What a mess! No wonder the poor girl wants to stay away from the workforce!

Yep, I think Kate thought she could help out some old family friends, the Robinsons, and they could help her by giving her a job to post on her resume, but with the paparazzi outside the office everyday, she was annoyed, her coworkers were annoyed, and the press kept saying she was not working enough, only "part time". I mean, first people complain she doesn't have a job, then she got a job and they complained that her work-week was too lax and she had too much vacation time. I think her coworkers may have started resenting her because her fame was encroaching on their working day, everyday, having to drive through a pack of freelance photographers just to park the darn car, go to lunch, whatever.
And snoops like Duncan Larcombe were probably trying to schooze up to them to get the gossip.

I agree with you, Maricar. And I believe that all of the sniping about Kate not having a job or not doing her part is from jealous young girls and some older ones who seem to cast stones from their glass towers all day, every day, while on a paying job, for whom, short of climbing up on a cross and being crucified, Kate will never satisfy.

It's tiresome, it's pathetic, and it's really bizarre the absolute hatred of Kate Middleton from some people on some of the kookier royalty sites on the internet. :lol:

Kate seems like a level-headed person, and not the sort who would just give up her career because she felt like doing nothing, or because she is waiting for a marriage to occur. Perhaps the previous job wasn't making her happy. She could be taking some time to figure out exactly what she wants to do with her life. My guess is that we will see her doing something great in the next few years. Whether that is charitable work, another career path, or family, we don't know. Only time will tell.

^ Well said, sgl. She never seemed to like the Jigsaw much. Maybe she was just going through motions. What's the point of doing a job you think is stupid, especially if you can afford to search around for the job/career of your passion?

I don't think it makes her a lesser person, but I'm sure others do. Everyone has their own path...it would be nice not to work and just chill living off some trust fund :cool:

It's just unusual for a modern woman to act that way...especially since she isn't exactly Paris Hilton, I would doubt Kate has that much money...she's famous but only because of her boyfriend. My guess is that she would be keeping up a different lifestyle if she wasn't famous and dating William...but I could be wrong. She may have always wanted to just go to college, live life and then get married.

I just think it would be strange not to pick up any work ethic when your parents worked so hard for their millions...
Great post, I agree entirely.

Moreover I sincerely doubt that Kate's parents have "millions".....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom