Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 26: August 2010-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding now is that a reconnaisance was made of the route several minutes before the car left Clarence House which sounds as if it's a normal thing to do. In the intervening minutes, things changed and I suspect that because routes taken by royal cars are not lined with police, no one was able to warn the driver or whoever should have been warned to take an alternative route.

Although the car's windows may not have been bullet proof (which I think they should be in future) they would have been reinforced glass. However, I am not sure you can get a small discreet bullet proof car and at least the car used gave some protection, which a normal car would not have done.

Last edited by a moderator:
UK says attack students made 'contact' with royals - Yahoo! News

Student protesters made physical contact with the wife of Prince Charles during an attack on the couple's car that has sparked a review of royal security, a British government minister said Sunday.

Home Secretary Theresa May told Sky News that "there was contact made," although she would not confirm reports Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, had been poked with a stick through an open car window.

I don't think too highly of this royal pair, but this appears to have completely terrified Camilla and I feel a great deal of sympathy for that situation.

Hope they both threw back a stiff cocktail when they got back to their digs. Maybe two.

I don't think too highly of this royal pair, but this appears to have completely terrified Camilla and I feel a great deal of sympathy for that situation.

Hope they both threw back a stiff cocktail when they got back to their digs. Maybe two.

I agree.. They should have had better security as well. After all where is the British taxpayers money going if not to protect them against this sort of thing.
Demonstration against policy is a very normal part of society but I think some of them took it a bit too far. Shouting is one thing but poking or touching someone is another.

Charles and Camilla were undertaking one of many public duties. This is a long-standing theatre event (a Royal Command Performance) which gives support to the performing arts. The UK is a constitutional democracy, therefore the Royal Family is not involved in political decisions. It is the polititians who take these decisions. To suggest in any way that it was appropriate to attack them (as many of the protesters have) shows a total lack of understanding of our politics and confirms that these demonstrations have been hijacked by those who have no wish to support the democratic process.

...Charles and Camilla seem to have been targeted first on the list of the BRF and if security measures are not in place I expect more for the wedding.
I think you are right as to the reasons why they were targeted. They may not be responsible for the tuition hikes but the royal family does receive money from the taxpayer and of course they will be paying for some of the wedding.

This is not really the place to have a political debate, but there are not that many places in the world where tuition is free at university level. Whilst tuition is being raised, so is the bar for when students have to start repaying - pretty fair if you ask me.

Resorting to violence is not jusitified in my view, especially when there are typically only a few who resort to it.

Yes, she does.

Frankly, I don't see the big deal.

She has adult children with grandchildren. Surely the press doesn't expect her not to see them during the holidays at all? And I wouldnt imagine that the Queen would invite them to spend their holidays with her?

I wouldn't imagine that the Queen or Prince Charles are bothered by this at all. But the press needs a molehill to make a mountain.

I really do not see what the fuss is with Camilla only staying until Boxing Day, as the Royals all open presents on Christmas Eve and i assume she will be there for that she will in fact be at Sandringham for 3 days, Christmas Eve (part of it at least), Chrsitmas Day and part of Boxing Day.
As Camilla has her own family, 2 married children and 3 grandchildren its only fair to expect her to see them at some time rather than sit all Christmas with her hsubands family. To be honest i'm surprised she treks to Sandringham every year and doesn;t alternate it somehow which is what others might do but thats her choice.

I think its 4 or 5 grandchildren now...doesn't Tom have 2 and Laura has 3.

Really, I think its rather archaic (IMO) of course that the BRF expects almost every inlaw to NOT see their families during the holiday season. Most families I know alternate between his and her family for major holidays. This may not be the case but it certainly looks like it.

I mean, this year the Dutch CP couple (Max and WA along with their children) are spending the Christmas holidays in Argentina with Maxima's family. Last year I think they spent it with Queen Beatrix. That sounds about right to me.

I think things will change with William insisting on having some Christmases with the Middletons and we will see more rotation of royals at Sandringham.

I also wouldn't be surprised to not see the York girls there some years as they decide to spend Christmas Day with their mother who used to spend Christmas at one of the houses on the estate but not recently so they don't get to see their mother on Christmas Day - how sad that the BRF would keep children away from their parent.

I think its 4 or 5 grandchildren now...doesn't Tom have 2 and Laura has 3.
Yeah, 2 for Tom and 3 for Laura.
I don't see anything wrong with it, it's happened for years.

...She has adult children with grandchildren. Surely the press doesn't expect her not to see them during the holidays at all? And I wouldnt imagine that the Queen would invite them to spend their holidays with her?
Why would the Queen not invite Camilla's grandchildren, year after year? If she really accept's Camilla and the second marriage of her heir to a woman who has a family, why not include the Children and Grandchildren? It makes no sense to me.

:previous: Because even if she accepts Camilla in her family and as her daughter in law, perhaps she doesn't feel the bond with Camilla's children to have at her home for the holidays.

She wouldn't be the first or the last. It makes perfect sense. She might have a cordial relationship with them but because she doesn't know them that well doesn't feel the need to extend the invitation to entertain them.

Really, must everything with Camilla and the BRF be analyzed on whether or not Camilla is really an accepted member of the BRF. Camilla is a member of the BRF her family is not.

Why would the Queen not invite Camilla's grandchildren, year after year? If she really accept's Camilla and the second marriage of her heir to a woman who has a family, why not include the Children and Grandchildren? It makes no sense to me.

How many in-laws families get an invite to Sandringham? None - Diana's family didn't get invited, Sarah's didn't, Sophie's don't so why would she invite Camilla's?

:previous: Because even if she accepts Camilla in her family and as her daughter in law, perhaps she doesn't feel the bond with Camilla's children to have at her home for the holidays.

She wouldn't be the first or the last. It makes perfect sense. She might have a cordial relationship with them but because she doesn't know them that well doesn't feel the need to extend the invitation to entertain them.

Really, must everything with Camilla and the BRF be analyzed on whether or not Camilla is really an accepted member of the BRF. Camilla is a member of the BRF her family is not.
I was genuinely asking from a blended family POV....I would have assumed that the invitation for something like that would be given. Family is family in the end, and it's not like she doesnt have room. I'm really not trying to be difficult.

Merry Christmas...that's all...

It is a novel situation for the RF. Camilla's children are both married adults with their own families. Their mother is a member of the RF, but they are not. They are not close to HM and I would not expect her to invite them to Sandringham for Christmas Day. Frankly I doubt they'd want to go to Sandringham for Christmas Day; I certainly wouldn't.

In due course I expect that they will be a regular feature at the King's Christmas day festivities though.

I was genuinely asking from a blended family POV....I would have assumed that the invitation for something like that would be given. Family is family in the end, and it's not like she doesnt have room. I'm really not trying to be difficult.

Merry Christmas...that's all...

The are other practical reasons why Camilla's children and grandchildren don't come to Sandringham. They have their own extended families, there is Andrew Parker Bowles, Tom's inlaws, Laura's inlaws. Being free (not at Sandringham) on Christmas Day means they can spend time with those nonroyal family members. Although the article wrote that Camilla is leaving this year on Boxing Day in the past few years, she's actually left after Christmas lunch. So like many families her children would have Christmas lunch with one branch and dinner with another (Camilla)

Factor also that Christmas time last year Andrew's wife Rosemary was dying and as her son said in his eulogy, she had wanted to have one more Christmas and she achieved that (Rosemary died in early January) So obviously Tom and Laura who were close to their stepmother would have wanted to have been able to spend her last Christmas with her. (Laura was also heavily pregnant with twins who were born Dec 30th. I would be surprised if Autumn Phillips is at Sandringham) This is it's Andrew's first Christmas without Rosemary and that in itself would be a reason for his children and grandchildren to be around him and not in far off snowy Norfolk.

It's simplistic to say 'well the Queen should invite Camilla's children to Sandringham' Camilla's children have other family members not just their mother, perhaps Camilla leaving Sandringham the afternoon of Christmas Day or Boxing Day is the choice they've made in how they want to celebrate the Christmas season.

The Phillips siblings don't spend every Christmas at Sandringham either, in the past either Peter or Zara have not attended as they've chosen to spend Christmas with their inlaws. Peter and Autumn were in Canada one year.

In all honesty I can not see why The Queen would invite Camilla's children and grandchildren to Sandringham, they are not HER family, they are Camilla's. Its lready said they do not visit Highgrove much so why they would trek all the way to Sandringham is beyond me. In addition I read somewhere that Sandringham doesnt have that many bedrooms so it may be that there isn't much room for an extra 9 people who would need at least 4 rooms between them. It was certainly said that when the Queen switched Christmas from Windsor to Sandringham a "benefit" in the eyes of many of the family was that all the Royal Family - Kents and Gloucesters etc couldn't attend as there wasn't room.

In all honesty I can not see why The Queen would invite Camilla's children and grandchildren to Sandringham, they are not HER family, they are Camilla's. Its lready said they do not visit Highgrove much so why they would trek all the way to Sandringham is beyond me. In addition I read somewhere that Sandringham doesnt have that many bedrooms so it may be that there isn't much room for an extra 9 people who would need at least 4 rooms between them. It was certainly said that when the Queen switched Christmas from Windsor to Sandringham a "benefit" in the eyes of many of the family was that all the Royal Family - Kents and Gloucesters etc couldn't attend as there wasn't room.

The Sandringham estate does have plenty of cottages in which people such as Sophie's father, Sarah Duchess of York & Diana's Spencer relatives have stayed in the past. It is only Camilla's children who seem never to be invited by the Queen, despite the fact that according to Tom Parker Bowles they see Prince Charles fairly regularly - about once every 2 months.

The Sandringham estate does have plenty of cottages in which people such as Sophie's father, Sarah Duchess of York & Diana's Spencer relatives have stayed in the past. It is only Camilla's children who seem never to be invited by the Queen, despite the fact that according to Tom Parker Bowles they see Prince Charles fairly regularly - about once every 2 months.

Sophie's father has stayed at the main house, he's been there for at least one Christmas. The house Sarah stayed in is available for guests and it tends to get used by the young royals (William, Harry) and their guests. The Queen did give Sarah use of the house while her daughters were young, Sarah hasn't spent Christmas at the Sandringham Estate in years. Even as a member of the Royal Family Sarah's father and step-mother with Sarah's much younger step-siblings were never invited for Christmas. It was only after she divorced and her daughters were older than Sarah spent some Christmases with her younger siblings.

Diana's family never stayed at Sandringham over Christmas, so it can't be said they were invited for Christmas, they never were! They lived at Park House which is on the Sandringham estate, once Diana's father inherited Althorpe when Diana was around 15 they moved there. Park House is now empty and not liveable.

The Queen also doesn't invite her Kent and Gloucestor cousins for Christmas either!

Last edited:
Sophie's father has stayed at the main house, he's been there for at least one Christmas. The house Sarah stayed in is available for guests and it tends to get used by the young royals (William, Harry) and their guests. The Queen did give Sarah use of the house while her daughters were young, Sarah hasn't spent Christmas at the Sandringham Estate in years. Even as a member of the Royal Family Sarah's father and step-mother with Sarah's much younger step-siblings were never invited for Christmas. It was only after she divorced and her daughters were older than Sarah spent some Christmases with her younger siblings.

Diana's family never stayed at Sandringham over Christmas, so it can't be said they were invited for Christmas, they never were! They lived at Park House which is on the Sandringham estate, once Diana's father inherited Althorpe when Diana was around 15 they moved there. Park House is now empty and not liveable.

The Queen also doesn't invite her Kent and Gloucestor cousins for Christmas either!

Actually, Park House is now a specialty hotel! So it's not exactly sitting empty, but it wouldn't be available to the Windsor family guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom