Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 26: August 2010-December 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The BBC are reporting that a car that Prince Charles and Camilla are in, presumably on the way to the Royal Variety Performance is being attacked by student protesters on the streets of London. The government has just passed a law to raise school fees to £9000.

Apparently their car was kicked by demonstrators in Regent Street.

Last edited:
CNN is reporting on the air that the cars windows were smashed and that paint was thrown on the car, but Charles and Camilla were not injured. They're promising a live shot in a few moments.

BBC says they got to the event on time, and nothing was smashed. The car just drove off quickly.

I'm watching CNN right now, and they have some rough video that shows a Rolls Royce with a smashed window and paint splatters. The reporter in the UK who shot the video claimed that the broken window was on Prince Charles's side of the car.

Clarence House: Prince Charles and Camilla are unharmed.

According to CNN, Charles and Camilla went on to attend their appointment, the Royal Variety Show. Am delighted at their courage. Keep calm and carry on! Hurrah!

:bang: God Lord, what is going on there? Sounds horrible!
Chaos.

Students are turning out in London to protest against the rise in student fees. The vote was this afternoon, and they have been attacking parliamentary buildings, The Treasury and seeing as London Palladium is not far from where most protestors are, some decided to turn against the royal car when it was seen. Clarence House says the royal couple are unharmed, and are watching the royal variety show.

The royal family have aboslutely nothing to do with this vote, they were attacke for no good reason and the people who did it should be punished. It is truely ridiculous.

The whole thing is a disgrace! Whose idea was it to go ahead with the theatre trip on a night when rioting is taking place?!

The whole thing is a disgrace! Whose idea was it to go ahead with the theatre trip on a night when rioting is taking place?!

I don't think anyone would have ever presumed that the riots would attack a royal car, or even thought it would be there.
There was no reason to attack the car, other than it was there at the time when the decision was made.
I doubt the Royal Variety Performance could have been cancelled after all the arrangements have been made.

I don't think that the Royals would have wanted to cancel either the event or their attendance of it. It's just not their style.

Shocking pic of the car, not so much because of the paint ball, but the
nearly broken window...That has really gone to far..

Here's a gallery with pics of the Royal Variety Performance:

** daylife gallery - December 9, 2010 **

Of course (because i'm sure we'll hear that from you know who) this attack was not targeted personaly to Charles and Camilla. The BRF is an institutional symbol and apparently today all was good to fight the institution. For exemple i find the pic showing a girl climbing on the Cenotaph particulary appalling...
It's a rare case of a "lese majesty" incident. I can't remember the last time a member of the BRF so openly attacked...

Last edited:
The attack wasn't aimed at the Royal Family, it was aimed at getting the students anger across. A lot of people have been betrayed by what happened today in the British Parliament and Charles and Camilla were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Must have been an awful moment. The DOC seems terrorised...

_50370363_princecharlesandcamilla.jpg

The show must go on: a smile at the arrival :

http://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/107489342/Getty-Images-News

http://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/107489533/Getty-Images-News

Last edited:
What a bunch of spoiled brats. I hope whoever did this is arrested and the judge throws the book at them :angry:

The students have legitimate complaints, but this is not the way to achieve their goals.

The students have legitimate complaints, but this is not the way to achieve their goals.

I agree. Unfortunate that things haven't taken place more peacefully.

Am glad that Charles and Camilla are okay - that certainly must have been frightening for them.

This is very much a case of 'wrong place wrong time'.

I was just watching a report on SkyNews here in Australia and one reporter was saying that the protesters ended up moving into places where originally it wasn't planned and that where the royal car was was one of those places.

This was definitely not a planned attack on the royal couple.

Had the Queen been in the car I think her car would have been attacked as the emotions of the students are running so high.

Remember a couple of weeks ago a similar protest saw people dropping something (was it a fire extinguisher or something like that) onto the cops.

The royals simply would never have considered cancelling their appearance. If they didn't leave London in the Blitz and cancel the 60th anniversary of the end of WWII on the 10th July, 2005 (the bombs in the underground were on the 7th) they aren't going to cancel an engagement due to student protests, especially when they weren't expected to be where the royals were.

The royal family have aboslutely nothing to do with this vote, they were attacke for no good reason and the people who did it should be punished. It is truely ridiculous.

The Queen will have to sign the legislation into law of course so she does have something to do.

The reports I am hearing is that the violent ones had their faces covered so they may get away with it. After the young man was charged when they dropped the fire extinguisher or whatever was arrested I am not surprised that today they covered their faces.

The protests also include a number of older people.

The law is not only increasing tuition fees for university but also includes discrimination as it affects English students but not Welsh or Scottish.

The reports we are getting now is that there is damage at the Supreme Court and Treasury building so very much a case of wrong place wrong time rather than an attack on Charles and Camilla per se.

They were attacked as symbol of the authorities rather than as individuals in my opinion.

I don't think anyone would have ever presumed that the riots would attack a royal car, or even thought it would be there.
There was no reason to attack the car, other than it was there at the time when the decision was made.
I doubt the Royal Variety Performance could have been cancelled after all the arrangements have been made.

I agree with you Lumutqueen, but driving towards a crowd of rioters or a few rioters or even a small group of hooded thugs looking shifty (and carrying a heavy enough object to smash a bullet-proof window, which would have taken quite a few moments to smash) wasn't the best route to take and even the police outriders weren't able to prevent this happening and no-one suggested turing back to avoid the rioters! Goodness only knows what would have happened if the attackers managed to surround the car and prevent it moving on...which reminds me that I always assumed if a royal car is attacked it would zoom off at high speed. There was no contingency plan in place to protect the royal couple rioting or not.

Edit: It is clear that Regency Street was not expected to be one of the venues for the rioting.

Last edited:
I don't think that the Royals would have wanted to cancel either the event or their attendance of it. It's just not their style.

Absolutely, on no account should this riot have caused cancellation of the royal duties, it's just ashame that the royal family does not have sufficient protection or sufficient contingency plans in place that would prevent a group of yobs surrounding a royal car and smashing it's window in.

The Queen will have to sign the legislation into law of course so she does have something to do.

The law is not only increasing tuition fees for university but also includes discrimination as it affects English students but not Welsh or Scottish.

But The Queen isn't the one who has said "Ooo I think I will raise the cap on English University fees so as to get the country out of debt, but it will actually get it more in debt when next years College students graduate and face these raised fees" She signs the piece of paper because she has no real choice in the matter.

And I do know what my government is doing, thank you.

Edit: It is clear that Regency Street was not expected to be one of the venues for the rioting.

You have edited your post to what I was going to say, where the royals were wasn't supposed to be an area of rioting. I doubt the royals were informed of the rioting in that area as the move happened very quickly after the results of the vote were announced.

Although I'm not a fan of Camilla, I am against what the students have made since the royal family can not be held responsible for government decisions.
All the people who did it should be punished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom