Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 13: March-April 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I go both ways on this. I would have supported them if they boycotted all the way but they put duty first and I support them there too. Its such a shame so many horses die. Thats too many horses for one event in my opinion.

Unfortunately this happens from time to time in steeplechasing but many times more horses die each year from neglect or are sold for meat by uncareing owners or after being stolen from their fields.

The horses in this particular steeple chase die because they are pushed beyond their limits. And the multiple death happens every year. Perhaps the royal family should employ the same care for animals as they do the the earth and plants with their committment to organic farming.

grevinnan said:
The horses in this particular steeple chase die because they are pushed beyond their limits. And the multiple death happens every year. Perhaps the royal family should employ the same care for animals as they do the the earth and plants with their committment to organic farming.

It doesn't happen every year, thank goodness. The organisers are at fault, they have even admitted the field was just too big this year. However I do think it could be made a less severe course.

A little reprise about their first year. :)

Charles and Camilla – a year of wedded bliss

Charles and Camilla's wedding on April 9 was one of the highlights of 2005. But in the run up to the historic day, it seemed like the wedding of the year had been jinxed as the couple faced one problem after another. A year on, we look back at the upsets and see how the couple have fared since they tied the knot.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/hot/c/charles-camilla-anniversary/index.html

James Whitaker. What a sad state of affairs that is. For years, he said, "They will never marry", "The Queen won't allow it", "The Queen is angry", "The Princes hate her" - and he pandered well and truly to the anti-Camilla sentiment. Why? Because his newspaper was one which really did go for her and so he could always be sure to get his stuff in print.

When they announced they were going to get married, Whitaker was on, "This Morning" and he was visibly angry. People even commented on it on radio programmes etc. His face was red, he was wearing a scowl and he was heaving up and down. It wasn't that he was angry with them - he was angry because he didn't know first. All these years his sources have told him one thing and it's always been the opposite. Jenny Bond was speaking about him once and said, "He tries but he often gets it wrong".

So he is now staunchly anti-Camilla and even anti-Charles because he no longer holds the court. His opinions are really only suitable for the Daily Mirror but the Mirror itself have been very very supportive and have been praising Camilla over the past year. If he's not careful, his bitter rants are going to be removed. I heard that Carol Malone (another columnist) told James Whitaker to "get over himself" and I think it's sad that he's resorting to this instead of just holding up his hands and saying, "Ok, I didn't know".

On the day of the wedding, he sat there at the BBC and made a complete fool of himself. He introduced Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit as "A couple of Swedish Royals" and called Queen Anne-Marie, "The Queen of Denmark". He went on to say how beautiful Camilla was, how friendly she'd been to him and how pleased he was that they were marrying.

He seriously needs to work out his viewpoint and stick to it. Honestly - a prime example of a 'Royal commentator' thinking himself to be Royalty. I should also add that Diana gave Whitaker many exclusives - she often telephoned him and told him where she'd be and what she'd be doing and where best to stand etc. Methinks he's a trifle upset about his exclusives going to Nicholas Witchell.

Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
James Whitaker. What a sad state of affairs that is. For years, he said, "They will never marry", "The Queen won't allow it", "The Queen is angry", "The Princes hate her" - and he pandered well and truly to the anti-Camilla sentiment. Why? Because his newspaper was one which really did go for her and so he could always be sure to get his stuff in print.

Maybe we all should write some e-mails to let Mirror know that keeping James Whitaker as columnist is not good idea any more. What do you think ?

I'm composing one as we speak Agnes! But James Whitaker has a reputation and I doubt they'll drop him. It could be worse though - this could have come from Paul Burrell who I believe is now writing for 'The Sun'.

I read the article and I have never heard of this man, but a great deal of what he says is true. Is freedom of the press not acceptable to you. It is this man's opinion. Now that Camilla is being whooped up by the prince's publicity people, everyone is supposed to change their opinion or forget the past. She carried on a love affair with the prince for decades, when she was married and when he was married. I believe she honestly loves him and he her, but to make them into "Mr. and Mrs. Perfect" begs honesty. Sure she looks fine, she has a great deal of money at her disposal and travels with hiardressers and makeup people. I would not expect her to do less. I think she usually looks fine. Her hair looks fine on her and she and he are comfortable with it. The real saddness is that they ruined other people's lives. It is not a matter of forgiving or forgetting, it just is a fact. Past that let them enjoy each other and their lives. Too bad the archaic system that forced him to marry "a suitable bride", cost so dearly.

Redfox6 - I have heard of this man and whilst I'm not saying his opinion is worthless, I am saying that his opinion is built on a bit of a grudge which should be taken into account. Mr Whitaker doesn't command respect anymore - he talks of his 'sources' but they are now whittled down to a couple of ex-footmen and an old dowager. The majority of articles from the pasty year have been positive - it's a shame that James Whitaker can't make his opinion on their achievements together. Freedom of the press doesn't come into it.

redfox6 said:
I read the article and I have never heard of this man, but a great deal of what he says is true. Is freedom of the press not acceptable to you. It is this man's opinion.

Freedom of speech means that I am entitled to write that James Whitaker writes rubbish. He repeated what he got know from trash-books and he pretends that he knows better than people involved (he wrote that Wills and Harry didn't like Camilla despite fact that they clearly stated otherwise). He had also written some rubbish about late Diana during her lifetime but now he proclaimed himself her "defender" and almost "best friend" :D Probably he thinks that he can earn some pennies out of it :mad: As I suggested I wrote to the Mirror that they should get rid of him :)

I must say that AgnesK is right - when Prince Harry gave his interview, Whitaker said on 'This Morning' ; "Well he's obviously been primed and I doubt those answers are his own". He knows that Prince Harry can't and won't say, "Actually, they are my own" so he wins. As far as his job as a Royal commentator over all, his career is at an end. His golden era has gone - Jennie Bond knew when to throw in the towel. Whitaker should follow her lead.

Whitaker was never a respected journalist, you only have to look at the tabloid trash he writes for. He was also involved in American Princess, along with Burrell and Jean Broke-Smith (who ran a modelling school. :D ) His only claim to fame is that he rarely get it right!
He really is like a tired old pair of trousers that even the charity shop doesn't want!:rolleyes:

It's rather like Michael Fish - he was a news reporter and in 1987 said, "Oh no, there will never be a hurricane here". The next day there was. He bowed out and made very very rare appearances before retiring completely. Whitaker insists on being introduced as a "Royal expert" but he isn't. He needs to follow Fish's example!

AgnesK said:
Freedom of speech means that I am entitled to write that James Whitaker writes rubbish. He repeated what he got know from trash-books and he pretends that he knows better than people involved (he wrote that Wills and Harry didn't like Camilla despite fact that they clearly stated otherwise). He had also written some rubbish about late Diana during her lifetime but now he proclaimed himself her "defender" and almost "best friend" :D Probably he thinks that he can earn some pennies out of it :mad: As I suggested I wrote to the Mirror that they should get rid of him :)

Whitaker has always quoted dead people or people that can't really challenge him. :eek:

As I said, I don't know this man from a hole in the wall. My question is if you don't like what he says or disagree with what he says, why did you post his article? Just ignore him.

What we're saying - or at least what I'm saying - is that Mr Whitaker has got a right to say what he wants. But unlike you, we do know him well. He's been on British TV and in newspapers for decades so we have a fairly good idea of his style and of his opinions. And we can tell a hypocrite and a hopeless 'expert' when we see one. His recent article was just an anti-Camilla rant based on a personal failure and we are questioning just how useful that is in the national press.

I think this thread is beginning to get off topic. Feel free to start a thread about newspaper reporters and their dealings with the royals, but this thread is for current events.

Elspeth

British Royals moderator

Elspeth said:
I think this thread is beginning to get off topic. Feel free to start a thread about newspaper reporters and their dealings with the royals,

Special thread about those bloody people ;) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom