Prince Harry Current Events 5: January-May 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you better believe it is grecka!

I never understand the purpose of gap year except to lazy a boy. And Harry does not have good gene pools, looking at his father and mother, much less good role models, so what do you expect? Some mentioned his impressive physique, well, fancy milk coupled with expensive meals would do that, but nourishing his brain do require time and efforts which are not on his schedule at the moment since he is on the gap thing and if that is not now, I'm afraid will be too late. Do you know our learning years(brain cell development years if I'm correct) is between 16 and 23? Don't ask me why 23, I'm just repeating what I read.

Last edited:
lori said:
I never understand the purpose of gap year except to lazy a boy. And Harry does not have good gene pools, looking at his father and mother, much less good role models, so what do you expect? Some mentioned his impressive physique, well, fancy milk coupled with expensive meals would do that, but nourishing his brain do require time and efforts which are not on his schedule at the moment since he is on the gap thing and if that is not now, I'm afraid will be too late. Do you know our learning years(brain cell development years if I'm correct) is between 16 and 23? Don't ask me why 23, I'm just repeating what I read.

Actually, peak learning occurs between the ages of 3 and 10. What is neveloping during the teen years and is not fully developed until approximately the age of 23 is the frontal lobe, which is the area of critical thinking. Also the limbic system is developing which is the area that controls emotions. That is why teenagers are more impulsive than adults, they "think with their emotions" without having a full sense of consequences until after the fact.

Harry can't compute

http://www.news24.com/News24/Backpage/HotGossip/0,,2-1343-1344_1690850,00.html

Britain's Prince Harry, due to start his army officer training in May, has been told to brush up on his computer skills by officers at the elite Sandhurst military academy.

Colonel Roy Parkinson, protocol officer at the academy, said on Friday that the 20-year-old prince had undergone a series of tests, physical and academic, to measure his strengths and weaknesses ahead of his arrival on May 8.

He said Harry "had no problem with the physical tests" but offered no direct comment on the prince's performance in the computer skills assessment.

The Daily Mirror newspaper reported earlier that the prince had failed his computer assessment.

how can that be. it seems to be impossible not to use computers these days no matter what country. every country is wired whether getting on a subway or ordering food. only impovershed countries are computer free but i bet you can still find some somewhere.
he has major issues if he can't use computers well!

A lot would depend on the reasons they are using the computers.

Many of my students, who come from wealthy families and have computers at home, can't use a word processor properly because they don't ever do any more than simply type their work, spell check and print. They can't justify, or cut and paste, change font etc. Others do some incredible things and teach me a lot.

If asked to do any more they think you are crazy.

Harry may be very good at using some aspects of the computer but not all aspects and that is why he failed.

In NSW we are introducing compulsory computer skills tests for all Year 10 students this year in order to raise the skill level of young people and teachers, who all have to be able to teach the skills. Last years trial test resulted in something like 50% of the state not reaching the minimum standard in at least one area. Our students did well on emailing (98% pass) but searching the internet was not good (35% pass) just as an example.

As for the gap year thing it is increasing in popularity not only in Britain but also now here as about 10% of students in NSW are now to defer university for a year or so to go travelling or to work for the year to earn the money to put themselves through university.

I'll just add to chrissy57's comment:

At my school we had to do 3 years of computer processing with Word and Excel, and typing. We all had to learn to type and then adjust documents. Also at university doing a business degree, we were required to do a semester of Word and Excel for the work force (this was in QLD btw)

A lot of kids just use a computer to play games and nothing more. Or like chrissy57 said, they type up an assignment and spell check and ta da! All done. Theres so much more functions which kiddies aren't aware of. So Harry probably never did a computer course at Eton, or maybe its been so long since he was out of school he has forgotten everything!!:eek:

I didn't take a gap year, but a gap 6 months. I went and just did some reception work to find my feet and what I wanted to do in my life. Best decision ever. So Harry should take as much time as he needs (within reason) there is no point joining the army then having to quit disgracefully when he is not happy there. However I think he should start to settle down now, its about time.

grecka said:
This whole thing leaves me yet again wondering, why is he going to Sandhurst? He failed one of his A-levels, QUOTE]

Which A-level did he fail?

I thought he only did two and got a B and D both of which are passing grades.

Did he do a third one? If so what was it?

chrissy57 said:
Many of my students, who come from wealthy families and have computers at home, can't use a word processor properly because they don't ever do any more than simply type their work, spell check and print. They can't justify, or cut and paste, change font etc.
besides, I would say that those people atheletically inclined - like Harry - stay away from computers.

As for the gap year thing it is increasing in popularity not only in Britain but also now here as about 10% of students in NSW are now to defer university for a year or so to go travelling or to work for the year to earn the money to put themselves through university.
I say its a good idea. Looking back at myself, I know I "burnt out" in Grade 12. It only took me 30 years to get over that feeling.

Where possible, I recommend that a gap year be entertained.

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
Well, he did fail his final exams the year before.

Failing the year before does not mean he failed an A-level.

I have students who have failed in Year 11, Half-Yearly Year 12 and even Trial exams in Year 12 but when it really mattered, the HSC (NSW equivalent to A -levels) passed with flying colours. Why? Because they used the earlier exams as a learning experience and got better at doing them.

This question probably has been posted before but can someone explain the British grading system. I'm an American and I'm still alightly confused.

I just read in the papers, that Prince Harry was chased by the paparazzis in Botswana the other day where he is spending a holiday with Chelsy. Some people seems to have a short memory, this is exactly how Diana got killed. The Clarence House has issued a last warning to the British tabloid press for the prince(s) to be left alone or "heads will start flying".

Please--Diana got killed because she didn't have her seat belt on and she was riding in a car with a drunk driver.

i have agree with merca

because Prince Harry would remind his beloved mother the Princess Diana very much but he missed her very much when he was 12 years old and he and Prince William would sues paparazzi for what dones of his mother's car crash in 1997 but Harry loves his mother very much and Prince William also! both would wishes!

im been read articles last night about Harry got fight with paparazzi for more reasons and his dad the Prince Charles gives him troubles for fight with photographer but the photographer got cut with his lips.

Sara Boyce

I don't know if we can say the only reason she dies was because she didn't have her seat belt on. There are still many people who die who are wearing their seat belts.

igloo155 said:
I don't know if we can say the only reason she dies was because she didn't have her seat belt on. There are still many people who die who are wearing their seat belts.

before Diana's death she not wear seat belt because she and her lover really scary by the paparazzi and the driver was drunk!

Sara Boyce

SHe also died b/c of the inadequacy of the French medical services.

Reina said:
SHe also died b/c of the inadequacy of the French medical services.

yeah i know that but the doctors in Paris,France who tried to save Diana and they later she died i cant belives that but i think in World Doctors would have more best to save for Royals.

Sara Boyce

Honestly, Bubette this is the first time I hear that someone thinks that Diana died because she didn´t wear the seat belt and disregard entirely the fact that they were being chased by the paparazzis and that was the reason why they started speeding in the middle of the city in the first place. Besides, since then the seat belt guarantees life? Having seen the car wreckage in the news, I can say that it is a pure miracle that anyone survived at all.

Merca said:
Honestly, Bubette this is the first time I hear that someone thinks that Diana died because she didn´t wear the seat belt and disregard entirely the fact that they were being chased by the paparazzis and that was the reason why they started speeding in the middle of the city in the first place. Besides, since then the seat belt guarantees life? Having seen the car wreckage in the news, I can say that it is a pure miracle that anyone survived at all.

I cannot provide scientific evidence of seat belts saving life but I think they do. They can lessen the impact of such head on crashes, which in Diana's case, could've meant that her injuries were not as severe as they were, and that by the time she was at the Paris hospital and receiving treatment, her injuries could've been treatable.

Merca said:

I agree with Bubette and Alexandria...while they were speeding to get away from the Paparazzi the paparazzi didn't actually cause the horrible accident. High speeds, alcohol and a stupid driver did. Had the passengers been wearing seatbelts, perhaps their injuries wouldn't have been so severe. Maybe they would have...we will never know, it's all pure speculation. But in my mind it was an accident, caused by peoples poor judgement. The driver was drinking, Dodi and Diana never should have got into that car with him in the first place.

Perhaps we could get this thread back on topic? Discussions about Diana's crash belong in the Diana forum.

Thanks,

Elspeth

British Royals moderator.

do you think he will have enough disipline to go through with it and not wimp out to bang his girlfriend in africa while doing "aids work"?

blaquepooky said:
This question probably has been posted before but can someone explain the British grading system. I'm an American and I'm still slightly confused.

Well, it's somewhat different since I was at school, but the main difference between the British and American school systems is that in Britain there are nationally administered exams called GCSEs which students take at around age 16 and then A-levels (short for "advanced levels") which are taken at 18 by the students who stay on at school for the extra two years. Many students leave school at 16 after taking their GCSE's and either start working or get some more education at colleges of some sort.

In order to get into university, students must have at least two A-levels (and to get into high-profile universities like Oxford and Cambridge the requirements are a lot higher). Usually students take two, three, or four A-levels, often in related subjects; each A-level is subject-specific. The GCSEs are also subject-specific, so students take exams in different subjects and get their GCSE in each one separately. Usually students take between five and ten or twelve GCSEs.

In the USA, graduation from school is dependent on each school or school district; in England and Wales (I think Scotland is different), the GCSEs and A-levels are national exams, not school-specific ones. They're administered by a few examination boards, and the standards are checked carefully to ensure that they're equivalent between the boards. Students don't graduate from school; graduation is something that only happens at university level, and universities and colleges are different.

I think the exams that Prince Harry failed were what are known as "mock" exams - ones that are taken halfway through the A-level course at the end of the first of the two years of study. They're only meant as a guideline to how the student is doing and they don't count toward the final result of the A-levels. Some schools don't let a student continue with the course if he or she fails the mock exam, and some schools provide extra tuition to help the student do better in the rest of the course. I assume a good school would do its best to help students achieve the best results they are capable of gaining. In Harry's case, he passed two subjects at A-level; his results in the mock exams were irrelevant since they weren't administered by the board that administers the actual A-level exams.

If anyone with more up-to-date knowledge about the British education system would like to add to or correct the above, please feel free.

Photos from Africa

Here are the photos from Harry and Chelsy's trip to Botswana.

Enjoy

Attachments

• bostwana.jpg
    bostwana.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 236
  • bostwanachelsy.jpg
    bostwanachelsy.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 256
  • botsharryandchelsy.jpg
    botsharryandchelsy.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 224
  • botswanaintruck.jpg
    botswanaintruck.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 185
I don't know if this has been posted but I found a pic of the chick which Harry apparently cheated on Chelsy with while they were skiing at Kolsters earlier this month. Her name was Alexia Bergstroem and she's in the blue shirt.

Attachments

• alexiabergstroem.jpg
    alexiabergstroem.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 277
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom