Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issues with game hunting. It is not at all the same as poaching. Here in rural Northern Ontario there are very strict rules about hunting. And if you are caught breaking those rules there are significant penalities. And so there should be. There are many families in this area that depend on the meat they get during hunting season. IMO hunting is a more honest way of eating meat. Now I have problems hunting but that is only because I am unable to shot an animal. But I have no issues with others doing so.
Harry's time in Africa is to help with conservation and help stop illegal activities. I do not see any hypocrisy in him doing that and legally hunting.

Hunting for sustenance is no different from raising a cow for the purpose of eating the meat. And let's not forget the issue of keeping cows lactating for years so humans can have its milk.

Hunting is certainly a pastime for some but as long as the meat is being eaten and nothing is wasted it is just one less cow that is being killed.

Great to see Prince Harry involved in wildlife conservation. If it informs more people about the devastating impact of poaching, then great job, Prince.

Time to return the discussion back to Prince Harry's Current Events and away from general discussions concerning hunting, fishing, shooting, meat-eating etc as this could be done in the General Discussion and Games area:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f187/

But while some might expect the Namibian government to be flattered by Harry’s attempts to help save its wildlife, the country’s Minister of Environment and Tourism, Pohamba Shifeta, has warned against the royal trip turning into a publicity stunt.

‘Harry is not the first prominent person to visit Namibia and get involved with its conservation projects. We receive a lot of prominent people,’ he remarked at the weekend. ‘We appreciate this, but we don’t want it to turn into a public relations exercise.’

Shifeta, whose spokesman claimed the ministry wasn’t even aware of Harry’s arrival two weeks ago, also defended Namibia’s tolerance of so-called ‘trophy hunting’, the legal hunting of rare and endangered species.

That's different.

And depending what you read and/or who edits it you can get another slant on the story

allAfrica.com: Namibia: Media Urged to Respect Harry's Privacy

QUOTE:
The Minister of Environment and Tourism has urged the local media to respect Prince Harry's privacy while he is in the country.

Minister Pohamba Shifeta said Prince Harry "is here on a private visit and he does not want anything [to do with the media],

I don't think the two statements are incompatible. The minster states he wants local media to respect Harry's privacy but goes on to warn he doesn't want this to turn into a public relations exercise for Harry.

Western media has been reporting on Harry. Both the Express and Daily Mail have given us blow-by-blow updates as to what Harry plans to get up to in Namibia.

What I find odd from the minster's statement is despite Harry reportedly working hand-in-glove with the government of Namibia on poaching, the Minister of the Environment didn't know he even arrived in the country.

Last edited:
I don't see why Harry should have gone off to Africa in the first place.
It doesn't seem like the local authorities appreciate or even desire his presence.

He should stay home and devote his efforts to UK charities, imo. As someone said, he is a British prince, not an African one.

There are nineteen African countries in the Commonwealth, of which the Queen is head. Are they to be ignored then, except for official visits? It's clear that Charles has inspired both his sons with a concern for the environment and for conservation. Anything that will bring publicity to the vile poaching trade and to the loss of habitat of endangered animals is invaluable IMO. Actually working with those involved in trying to save these precious animals is worth it.

Superb pictures here. It was reported that Harry helped Dr Morkel sedate a lion named 'the Prince' and fit him with a new satellite collar.

http://www.desertlion.info/news.html

Last edited:
He should stay home and devote his efforts to UK charities, imo. As someone said, he is a British prince, not an African one.

He is a British prince who is also part of The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry which devotes itself to Conservation, the Armed Forces and Youth. Part of their conservation efforts include United for Wildlife which, according to the Foundation website:

"Through his Foundation, His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge has brought together an unprecedented collaboration between seven of the world’s most influential conservation organisations and the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. The partnership, named “United for Wildlife”, is a long-term commitment to tackle the global challenges to the world’s natural resources so they can be safeguarded for future generations. United for Wildlife is an unprecedented alliance between seven of the world’s most influential conservation organisations, led by the Royal Foundation of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry. The partnership between Conservation International, Fauna & Flora International, International Union for Conservation of Nature, The Nature Conservancy, Wildlife Conservation Society, WWF-UK, the Zoological Society of London and the Royal Foundation will lead the way to substantially increase the global response to major conservation crises."

United for Wildlife | Royal Foundation

What Harry is doing in Africa ties in with this. He's getting down and dirty and actively finding out what is being done, what is needed to be done and the best way to go about doing it hands on. I kind of compare it with Harry's involvement with Walking with the Wounded to the north and south poles. He didn't only support and back their endeavors but actively shared it with them. This is our Harry giving 150% to what he is involved in and its this passion that I admire most in the man. :flowers:

I don't see why Harry should have gone off to Africa in the first place.
It doesn't seem like the local authorities appreciate or even desire his presence.

There are many countries in the African Continent, many of whom are members of the Commonwealth just as Canada, Australia and New Zealand are. Our common histories of Colonialism have left us, if with nothing else, with a common Queen and Royal family. We are also part of "The Commonwealth", where we have common diplomatic, trade and industries ties. We also have shared humanitarian and charitable endeavours.

In that respect, Prince Harry is indeed and "African Prince".

There are many countries in the African Continent, many of whom are members of the Commonwealth just as Canada, Australia and New Zealand are. Our common histories of Colonialism have left us, if with nothing else, with a common Queen and Royal family. We are also part of "The Commonwealth", where we have common diplomatic, trade and industries ties. We also have shared humanitarian and charitable endeavours.

In that respect, Prince Harry is indeed and "African Prince".

There are no African Commonwealth realms. There are African nations that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations, but none are Realms. Harry is no more an African Prince than he is a French one.

I see no harm in Harry being in Africa as opposed to being here in the UK (or indeed anywhere else in the world). Personally I like it when our royals are under the radar from time to time, I appreciate them more when they come back!
But seriously, it seems to have been a personal choice on his part, and i am quite sure he would not turn up anywhere where he was not wanted or needed - or had checked first with the relevant authorities to see if it was ok.

Prince Harry is encountering criticism in Namibia—is he a conservation hero, or a meddling rich kid with little knowledge of real life?

Prince Harry has been widely applauded by his cheerleaders in the West for dedicating three months of his life to working with conservation organizations in Africa.

But he is coming in for severe criticism by some in Namibia—including from government ministers and in the country’s press—who are less than impressed by the young royal’s involvement in their country’s affairs.
More: Is Prince Harry Hunting For Trouble In Africa? - The Daily Beast

Tom Sykes is a writer based in rural Ireland. He farms there and pursues freelance journalism on the side. His pieces usually aim criticism at Harry and warm praise at his brother and sister in law. He is a good writer, but an unbiased Journalist, no.

As far as is known he's never even met Harry nor does he know him personally. Sykes is quite open about why he left the temptations of London for Ireland and that may very well skew his attitude to Harry. A journalist is after all, only as good as his sources. If Sykes doesn't have good reliable sources then he is no better, IMO, than the hacks at the Daily Fail. 'The Beast' is hardly a cutting edge site anyway.

There hasn't been a storm of criticism from the Government of Namibia. One minister criticised 'celebrities' and others coming to Africa to pursue conservation issues. One newspaper article reported it. Another minister said that the British press should stay away from stalking Harry. I agree with this and I'm certain Harry certainly does.

Sykes and others should, IMO, hold fire until Harry returns in September. We will then see the value or otherwise, of this trip.

There are no African Commonwealth realms. There are African nations that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations, but none are Realms. Harry is no more an African Prince than he is a French one.

The royal family take an interest in the Commonwealth, though, and that includes the African countries within it. Harry has done a great deal for The children of his African-based charity for example and he and William made sure the cause of endangered animals in Africa were brought to the fore in charities like Tusk . I do think people outside the Commonwealth underestimate the royal family's involvement in it, even though it is only one of them, the Queen, that heads that organisation.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very true. Marg's comment though was that there are African nations that share the Queen and royal family, which isn't true. There are Commonwealth Nations in Africa, but only the Commonwealth Realms share the Queen and BRF in the way that she seemed to be implying.

Last edited:
It looks more and more like Harry's holiday adventure rather than Harry trying to do something productive.

He spent a week in Tanzania before going to Namibia national park to join Dr. Peter Morkel for 10 days. He will leaving for Botswana next week. He is also planning to visit South Africa.

He should have stayed in one place for the entire three months.

I agree with Wonder Gochu.
As long as there is a market for what the poachers are selling, Prince Harry could spend 10 or 20 years in the country and that would not make any difference. He should go to China, and campaign there, say, ‘Please don’t buy it.’

How can hungry men care about whether a rhino or an elephant is killed? You are talking about somebody who has no job, who sleeps on an empty stomach. Do you really think he has time to think about what is happening in the jungle? Prince Harry has everything. Most people here don’t. A man who has no shelter, no food, his focus is only on what he can get to eat.”
A rich western who has everything is not going to change things.

Is Prince Harry Hunting For Trouble In Africa? - The Daily Beast

If rhino horns removed by the Namibia national park are sold by the government directly to the Chinese then the black market and poachers will be reduced or cease to exist.

If all rhino horns are removed in the same manner as sheep are sheared and sold on the open market then it reduces the need for killing.

The government could use the funds to help improve conditions. It could hire some of the poachers to help track the animals. More rhinos more horns.

I am aware there are corrupt officials but the current system of destroying and burning massive amounts of tusks and horns is counter productive.

Years ago I made the same suggestion for elephant tusk.

Last edited:
Harry is working with people who are actually in the field, unlike Sykes. How do we know Harry won't come back with similar suggestions?

Harry could never do anything right for some people !!

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

You are of course, technically correct. However, Commonwealth Countries, as already pointed out, have a shared history for good or ill, and none of us are still "Colonies" as you have so pedantically pointed out. However, if that shared bond was unimportant or irrelevant, it would no longer exist.

In that spirit, if we are going to have a royal family it is the BRF. Our parents and grandparents, etc. handed that knowledge on to us generation by generation and so we may or may not take an interest in the Queen and her family, their children and grandchildren, marriages and divorces. It is our choice.

Harry's charity, Sentebale in Lesotho is in Africa, is a charity founded by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho. The BRF has deep roots on the African continent and Prince harry has decided to dig some of his own.

Harry and Mr Shifeta, the Minister of Environment and Tourism in Namibia, met and had their photo taken together. There was a long article in a local newspaper which went into depth about their conversation, but unfortunately I can't provide a link.

Shifeta meets Prince Harry | Sun Mobi

The Daily Beast article really wasn't that critical of Harry its just he's become so much of a sacred cow that any perceived criticism of him is met with uproar by his supporters.

Tom Sykes simply pointed out that despite Harry's 'cheerleaders' in Western media many journalists in Namibia including the Editor of the country's largest newspaper are critical of him being there.

Remember Harry has sort of been down this road before. When he first went to Africa years ago after the bad press from the Nazi fancy dress and 'paki' comments and allegations of drug use, many African journalists criticised Clarence House for using their continent as a photo-op.

Some Africans at the time thought he was using the trip as a public relations exercise to boost his image hence the comments this week from Namibia's Environment Minster.

I don't doubt Harry's heart is in the right place its just many in Africa are often sceptical about this sort of adventure by celebrities.

Last edited:
I don't think Harry has many 'cheerleaders' in the western media. The journalists employed by British tabloid newspapers adore going over the old territory of Nazi uniform, 'Paki' comments and falling out of clubs in his youth, to promote their favourite image of Harry, a sort of buffoonish, 'Jack the Lad' character. I often wonder if they are longing for the days of Chelsy and drunken nights in nightclubs to return.

Harry proved his heart was in the right place when he went to Africa to found Sentabale all those years ago and that project has been supported by him ever since.

You are of course, technically correct. However, Commonwealth Countries, as already pointed out, have a shared history for good or ill, and none of us are still "Colonies" as you have so pedantically pointed out. However, if that shared bond was unimportant or irrelevant, it would no longer exist. And yet, it does.

In that spirit, if we are going to have a royal family it is the BRF. Our parents and grandparents, etc. handed that knowledge on to us generation by generation and so we may or may not take an interest in the Queen and her family, their children and grandchildren, marriages and divorces. It is our choice. We were touched when Prince William attended our Earthquake Memorial Service and enjoyed Prince Charles and Camilla's visit to see how we're getting on. Harry's visit was just as welcome.

Harry's charity, Sentebale in Lesotho is in Africa, is a charity founded by Prince Harry and Prince Seeiso of Lesotho. The BRF has deep roots on the African continent and Prince harry has decided to dig some of his own.

I said nothing about colonies in the post you quote and I don't remember doing so elsewhere, so I'm not sure what you're talking about in that regards.

Your initial post implied to me that you were saying that there were African Realms who had a relationship with the BRF comparable to the relationship that New Zealand has with the BRF.

I can understand their scepticism about celebrities. I also agree that Harry's heart is in the right place. I hesitate to bring up his mother's name here, but I wonder whether he has in mind doing for a time what she was doing in the final years of her life: travelling around to highlight different causes, but perhaps without the more glamorous occasions. When his father is king, Harry might be more restricted in what he can do. He might have to spend more time in the UK because he'll be needed there as the older members of the extended family can no longer perform their duties.

I don't doubt Harry's heart is in the right place its just many in Africa are often sceptical about this sort of adventure by celebrities.

I can understand their scepticism about celebrities. I also agree that Harry's heart is in the right place. I hesitate to bring up his mother's name here, but I wonder whether he has in mind doing for a time what she was doing in the final years of her life: travelling around to highlight different causes, but perhaps without the more glamorous occasions. When his father is king, Harry might be more restricted in what he can do. He might have to spend more time in the UK because he'll be needed there as the older members of the extended family can no longer perform their duties.

I seriously think Harry got his passion for putting his heart and soul into what he is involved with from both of his parents with his father more as a role model. We've all seen the level of Charles' diligence when it comes to something he's working on and his now famous spider letters. He definitely gets his charisma and his ability to fit and be comfortable with whomever he's with from his mother.

When Charles is king, I definitely see Harry playing a major role in the BRF and perhaps even so far as being a right hand man to his brother once William's turn comes.

:previous: That being the case he would indeed have a massive challenge in finding the right partner to marry.

:previous: That being the case he would indeed have a massive challenge in finding the right partner to marry.

It does seem that way but one never knows when the love bug is going to bite. He might very well meet Ms. Right among the people he works with as time goes by. Wasn't it Edward that met Sophie by chance at some kind of event? It raises the chances that Harry will meet someone that is interested in the same thing he is.

All hope is not lost. :D

IMO that's exactly what Harry needs to do...like William, meet someone outside the normal social circle of friends....someone at a charity or work event.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom