Prince Harry Current Events 23: July 2008-May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am as mystified as many posters on newspapers websites. What's so derogatory about "Paki", compared to Yanks or Brits? I'm curious as to what other short versions of foreign nationals are banned in Britain.
The racial connotations of the word "P*ki" are totally different to words like Brits or Aussies which have no "colour" attached.

Since the 1960's it's a racist slur that has been used against immigrants from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) without compunction. Sadly it's an insult that not only my parents had to face but one that I've had hurled in my face on several incredibly unpleasant occasions in the past.

I find it incredibly disturbing that people are trying to justify this as just a joke or "highjinks" on his part. Moreover it's not the only racist term he uses on the video, opting for the rather awful "r*ghead" in another clip.

Imo, it seems to demonstrate a rather worrying side to Harry's nature that he thinks it's ok to use such words and phrases.

I've never lived in the UK, but even I know that P**i is an offensive term.

The racial connotations of the word "P*ki" are totally different to words like Brits or Aussies which have no "colour" attached.

Since the 1960's it's a racist slur that has been used against immigrants from South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh) without compunction. Sadly it's an insult that not only my parents had to face but one that I've had hurled in my face on several incredibly unpleasant occasions in the past.

I find it incredibly disturbing that people are trying to justify this as just a joke or "highjinks" on his part. Moreover it's not the only racist term he uses on the video, opting for the rather awful "r*ghead" in another clip.

Imo, it seems to demonstrate a rather worrying side to Harry's nature that he thinks it's ok to use such words and phrases.

I found this article which reinforces your view about how history influences how people understand certain words. It's quite interesting.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article5496878.ece

What I find disturbing is that Prince Harry, as a Prince of the UK, represents The Queen, who is the Head of the Commonwealth, an organization made of of many different nations and ethnic groups. IOW He should have known better. The more I think about this incident, the more it bothers me.

I'm pleased that his apology came so swiftly.

How does anyone judge any event except on their personal experience and by their reading of history and current events?CH issued a statement that Ahmed was his friend and that Paki was a group nickname. Whether just Harry said it or 30 people said it --its not right.

I've never lived in the UK, but even I know that P**i is an offensive term.

I honestly had never known that it was used offensively until yesterday. But since it seems that its more commonly used that way in GB, I'm guessing Harry should have know it could be offensive.

I wonder how Harry spent his day, and what his father and grandmother have said to him about it. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Is it just me who finds that fact that Harry allowed himself, indeed filmed HIMSELF, making such comments immensely stupid. As many people have pointed out - these comments were made in "private", several peopl have even said that the comments are not offensive ony becuase they were made in private and taht had they made at, for example, an offical event, then they would be deemed racist. Why did Harry allow for the film to be made with him using such language? Even if that language is acceptable in his opinion to use with his friends surley he must have realised that such comments can be seen as racist and that are therfore not the best thing to have on camera.
given the phope bugging controversys of his parents, of William and himself via their staff and the many many cases of embarrasing videos being leaked out to media outlets in the world of well known people and celebrities you would like ot think Harry wouldn't have allowed himself to be filmed using such language even if it was for private use.

Until Harry's tape, I never heard anybody but Pakis use the term Paki and I'm sure they didn't mean it offensively.

So I was a bit confused about this incident. Perhaps the term has different connotations in Britain but here we don't hear it that much except from the people themselves.

Harry seems, to me, to have been a young man who hasn't considered the effects of what he says and what he does, nor has he realized that his actions may have become public at some point. I am putting all this in the past tense, because I dearly hope that Harry has matured since putting in his time in Afghanistan. Whether made in public or in private, the language he used throughout the video was offensive.

I wonder why News of the World didn't include the latter part of the tape, which included the part with him picking on the other guy in a way that questioned his buddy's sexuality. Would that have been too "hot to handle", even for a tabloid like NotW?

Is it just me who finds that fact that Harry allowed himself, indeed filmed HIMSELF, making such comments immensely stupid. As many people have pointed out - these comments were made in "private", several peopl have even said that the comments are not offensive ony becuase they were made in private and taht had they made at, for example, an offical event, then they would be deemed racist. Why did Harry allow for the film to be made with him using such language? Even if that language is acceptable in his opinion to use with his friends surley he must have realised that such comments can be seen as racist and that are therfore not the best thing to have on camera.
given the phope bugging controversys of his parents, of William and himself via their staff and the many many cases of embarrasing videos being leaked out to media outlets in the world of well known people and celebrities you would like ot think Harry wouldn't have allowed himself to be filmed using such language even if it was for private use.

Perhaps the term has different connotations in Britain but here we don't hear it that much except from the people themselves.

It does have very different connotations in Britain.

I thought it was hilarious, good on him for being just one of the boys and joining in. Harry didn't take offense when asked the very last question and I don't suppose any of the other people in his platoon (if that is what they are)
took offense at his banter.
Being a video that was taken three years ago I think the media needs to find something more important to report on.

I wonder why News of the World didn't include the latter part of the tape, which included the part with him picking on the other guy in a way that questioned his buddy's sexuality. Would that have been too "hot to handle", even for a tabloid like NotW?

Again, he wasn't serious. Guys joke about that with their buddies all the time. I hear it all the time.

To be honest id never heard that term until All this

I think I might start suing every time someone calls me a Pomm.
Or then again I might just ignore it and move on.
From what I understand this tape was made three years ago, why on earth are the papers reporting now?

Until Harry's tape, I never heard anybody but Pakis use the term Paki and I'm sure they didn't mean it offensively.

So I was a bit confused about this incident. Perhaps the term has different connotations in Britain but here we don't hear it that much except from the people themselves.

As wbenson says, it has very different connotations in Britain, although Harry might be a bit young to remember the worst of them.

paki-bashing - Wiktionary

I did not know really what is the mean of "r*ghead" until now I am not sure that I understand, but in Arabic newspaper today they explained it as a a racist term against Taleban and Arab, first I know that Tableban is not a race therefore I am until now not really sure of the meaning , but I can conclude that the word used usually in offensive matter.

Prince Harry did not invent the term "P*ki" but for sure he use it !
and I read on the net and in this thread that some people from UK think it is not a big deal, therefore I am until now not sure if the wrong is from prince Harry or from the society who think it is ok to use the term but not in public !

Oh my god it is really confusing .

Especially when you're making films!:flowers:

Spot on! Harry has no one but himself to blame, if he wants to make remarks that are possibly racist he shouldn't do so on tape!
Im my opinion it doesn't matter who gave the tape to who etc Harry is the only one to blame for this mess really.

Come on, so now he can't even make private tapes without being scared that it might leak, I think it's ridiculous because when Harry said those things I'm sure the last thing on his mind was that this private tape was going to get onto the internet, and cause such a fuss I don't know whether this tape was Harry or someone else's(if it was someone else's tape then maybe Harry is partially to blame I'm sure he knows how things can get online but I'd be very angry at whichever of his friends leaked it) but I still think it's being made into a bigger deal then it actually is IMO

Again, he wasn't serious. Guys joke about that with their buddies all the time. I hear it all the time.
exactly, I hear it all the time, I just think and without everyone biting my head off it's ridiculous that some people wish for Harry to be so careful all the time I mean the more I hear about it the more I feel like people are expecting him to be alret all the time, I feel like there's no way for him to have fun without being scared of saying something bad.

I agree that the racist part of this is being blow out of proportion. All i meant before was that making a video like this is likely to lead to trouble. Yes HArry has the right to a private life - and if he had made these comments privaetly without being videoed then there wouldn't be near as bigger story atm. All i was saying is that making a video like this was not a good idea and has created more trouble than its worth and its not wholly unreasonable to say that Harry (or his advisors) could have foreseen that and warned him).
Harry has to realise that he isn't just another soilder, he isnt just an ordinary young man, he is royal and has to accept that and the responisbilty that comes with that in return for the privilidges it brings.
And i dont think this incident comes under the theme "having fun", yes he can have fun but there is simply NO NEED to sue language like he did so why use it?

I couldn't care personally, I just found the mock call to 'Granny' quite amusing...lol.

I've never been an admirer of William or Harry, as such, but do note the good works they do and in this regard I give credit where credit is due. As for anything else, they're socialites with titles. An unfortunate truth of social "evolution" in a mass media world it would seem. Especially where the monarchy and youth are concerned. Of course, that's just my opinion...;)

I agree that the racist part of this is being blow out of proportion. All i meant before was that making a video like this is likely to lead to trouble. Yes HArry has the right to a private life - and if he had made these comments privaetly without being videoed then there wouldn't be near as bigger story atm. All i was saying is that making a video like this was not a good idea and has created more trouble than its worth and its not wholly unreasonable to say that Harry (or his advisors) could have foreseen that and warned him).
Harry has to realise that he isn't just another soilder, he isnt just an ordinary young man, he is royal and has to accept that and the responisbilty that comes with that in return for the privilidges it brings.
And i dont think this incident comes under the theme "having fun", yes he can have fun but there is simply NO NEED to sue language like he did so why use it?
I understand what your saying, I'm not sure why he used it, I know this is a long shot but perhaps he didn't realize the harm the word would cause,maybe he didn't know it was seen as a bad word. I had never even heard of he word before this incident, again it's a long shot.

I couldn't care personally, I just found the mock call to 'Granny' quite amusing...lol.
Well, it seems that even in his silly Army youth, when three years ago seems like forever ago, Harry was an equal opportunity 'ist! :rolleyes:

He even took the p*** out of his own situation as the grandson of Her Majesty (Commander in Chief or equivilent), sending his up relationship with her as well! :D

That being the case, if what he said has been confirmed to be offensive and insensitive not only is he a racist, but also an anarchist! :ohmy: :lol: :ROFLMAO:
That it took only 3 years to discover this concerns me deeply. :nonono:

I'm just going to add one more thing before I leave for the night and that is that I don't think we can draw any real conclusions from this tape, I mean first off it was 3 years ago and I strongly believe Harry has changed alot since then and like I've said countless of times since this has leaked that it seems as though everything in that tape was made in a humorous manner, I mean I respect if people were offended by it but personally I didn't see the big deal when I watched it anyways that's all from me for now hopefully this will have died down by tomorrow.

I am glad that he apologized, but notice that he again used that "if" that was used in his apology about the Nazi uniform.

I believe this i more to show that he was in more or less good faith when he said/did this and is now a bit shocked that people find it offensive but that in this case he of course apologizes. As in: I have a good character at heart and made an error in judgment.

That article is the best what could have happened to Harry. The media will now realise that the Britons most probably will close their ranks around their prince after he has been attacked so "merciless" by the other officer's family - as they can't do the same as their readers, they'll let the topic die down pretty soon.

Got the tape or got the joke?????
Either way it's old and boring news.:sleep:
Iain Martin's blog in the Telegraph dated 11 January 2009 says it all "Harry Circus Shames Journalism". :D

Sorry I still haven't mastered the art of puting in a link. :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom