Prince Harry Current Events 23: July 2008-May 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn´t have expected anything less....

The comments are interesting once again too.

On reading the various articles about this I am under the impression that this isn't an award to the 'best' pilot but to the one you would most want to have on your team - the fighter/scapper among the cadets.

In sporting palance - the one who does the hard yards and you can rely on to do the grunt work without being the showpony who gets the accolades and name in the papers for the best performance but the one who supports that person.

I think it is the award for the man you want on your side when all hell breaks loose who wont let you down.

I can believe this about Harry for some reason. I think that he'd be quite a fighter.:flowers:

I think it is the award for the man you want on your side when all hell breaks loose who wont let you down.

On reading the various articles about this I am under the impression that this isn't an award to the 'best' pilot but to the one you would most want to have on your team - the fighter/scapper among the cadets.

In sporting palance - the one who does the hard yards and you can rely on to do the grunt work without being the showpony who gets the accolades and name in the papers for the best performance but the one who supports that person.

In Harry's defense, in my experience, the people who have the best 'book' knowledge aren't always the ones you want at your back in the real world since the book and real life are two wildly different situations.

Anyway, the comments are interesting. It only brings home the point that if Harry does nothing, people will sit and complain. If he doesn't do well at something the same people will complain that even if he is doing something he isn't trying hard enough. If he DOES do well at something however and overcomes any potential troubles he might have had they are simply 'handing' the grade to him to please the royalty.

I feel sorry for poor Harry since in this situation he really can't win with some people- they aren't going to be happy no matter WHAT he does.

In Harry's defense, in my experience, the people who have the best 'book' knowledge aren't always the ones you want at your back in the real world since the book and real life are two wildly different situations.

I can see your point, but he is going to be a pilot........I am fine with him
getting all the accolades possible (and believe me he will) but I am not sure that I would want to fly with him.

good for harry. he may not be the brightest in the box academically, but he does very well as an action man.

getting all the accolades possible (and believe me he will) but I am not sure that I would want to fly with him.

May I ask why you wouldn't want to fly with him?

Those who are serving with him have voted him the one they would most want with him so I wonder why you wouldn't want to?

I am not suggesting that you are wrong to have that opinion just wondering what the basis is for your attitude on this issue.

I am a nervous flyer, I have flown quite a bit as a passenger and he just does not strike me as someone I would want to fly me anywhere, besides I seem to have an innate suspicion when it comes to the royal families´ qualifications. I may be wrong but I can´t help it.
It won´t happen so the question is purely academic.
I have had some pretty rough rides with airforce pilots in Africa, landing in little more than fields in Africa and didn´t think much about it at the time but Prince Harry --- no thanks.

I must admit, he would not be my choice of pilot. People tend to brush aside the 'not very good with the theory' and hype up the 'good pilot'. A good pilot is the one who is able to grasp both disciplines and bring them together. :flowers:

good for harry. he may not be the brightest in the box academically, but he does very well as an action man.
He may not give Einstein a run for his money but he has definitely managed to more than fake it on the normal scale thus far. By the way, wherever did you get the idea that Harry was Dim? ;)

. . . . . . A good pilot is the one who is able to grasp both disciplines and bring them together.
I am a firm believer that come the end of his training he will either pass or fail on his own merits. This is one time when what he is is going to be the defining moment. I firmly believe that no instructor is going to purjure his immortal soul and pass him fit to fly when it inevitably would cost lives if he were not qualified. :ermm:

That is my blanky and you cannot take it away from me! :D

He may not give Einstein a run for his money but he has definitely managed to more than fake it on the normal scale thus far. By the way, wherever did you get the idea that Harry was Dim? ;)

I am a firm believer that come the end of his training he will either pass or fail on his own merits. This is one time when what he is is going to be the defining moment. I firmly believe that no instructor is going to purjure his immortal soul and pass him fit to fly when it inevitably would cost lives if he were not qualified. :ermm:

That is my blanky and you cannot take it away from me! :D

I agree totally.

No one would take that sort of risk.
In some other areas e.g. passing the courses to get an academic degree (not that I am suggesting that any royal who has a degree didn't earn it but I am using that as an example only) the instructors etc may decide to pass the royals due to who they are because the consequences are rather immaterial as the royal concerned would never really need to use the knowledge and certainly wouldn't be putting either their own, or more importantly other people's lives at risk. However they wouldn't pass them to drive or fly due to the fact that someone who can't handle the aircraft would be putting lives at risk.

I don't have a worry about Harry having trouble with the theory due to the fact that in a range of jobs people have trouble with the pure theory but, when having to apply that theory in real life situations, they are able to do so. My sister-in-law for instance trained as a nurse before nursing was a university course and past all her exams with flying colours because she was able to relate the question to a real patient not a theoretical situation. Harry may be the same - he can apply the theory in real situations but has trouble in non-practical situations. I would much prefer a pilot who can actually apply the knowledge rather than one who simply is good on paper.

Prince Harry is overdue for a new thread.

Part 21 commencing May 2009 can be found here.

¤ ♦ ¤

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom