Prince Harry Current Events 17: March 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
PrinceHarry.gif

Arms of HRH Prince Henry of Wales

Welcome to Part 14 of the Current Events of Prince Harry

It starts on March 5, 2007

Part 13 can be found here.

The UK doesn't have a policy on family members serving together, not even in WWII when many families lost all male family members.

Prince William and Prince Harry

Skydragon said:
The UK doesn't have a policy on family members serving together, not even in WWII when many families lost all male family members.
Nither dose the USA however the commander oficers would ave prefured that the Sullivans not served on the same ship.
HRH Kimetha:I never really knew about the Sullivan Act in its entirety. Thanks kpusa1 for explaining it. But, it did give me another perspective of sending William to the battle zone, if Harry was already there. Then again, as you pointed out, Harry would be out of the zone by the time William can go. So, William can also go to the battle zone whether he is the 2nd in line.never really knew about the Sullivan Act in its entirety.

What do you mean?

Although proposed after the death of the five Sullivan Brothers, no "Sullivan Act" was ever enacted by Congress related to family members serving together. Similarly, no President has ever issued any executive order forbidding assignment of family members to the same ship/unit.
Following are nine references that describe the U.S. Navy policy toward the assignment of family members to ships since 1942, and one other article that helps explain this policy."

Last edited:
Just because they haven't issued an order making it mandatory doesn't mean it doesn't happen. A lot of times commanders will try and have family reassigned to other units if it's possible BECAUSE of what happened to the Sullivan family.

It may or may not happen in the US, but Harry is in the British Armed Services and they have no such directive.

Prince William and Prince Harry

Skydragon said:
It may or may not happen in the US, but Harry is in the British Armed Services and they have no such directive.
I was olny trying t [oint out to HRH Kimetha that there no such Act of Congress ever pasted and that the Sullivan Brothers did not have to write a letter FDR .They did their service and did die like serivcemen in WWII.
They are in the same regiment but different squads and William is not even done with his training. Since Harry is going to be deployed in May and come back in October. William will be done training in September so could possibly be deployed to Afghanistan.

Thank you Skydragon you are always so helpful in these and other matters aas well.

I thought the MOD had already made it clear that William would not be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, that they are considering allowing a deployment to NI, which although far from 'safe' is not as dangerous.
As with Harry, the decision does not lay with the individual and it doesn't matter what William wants, the fact is that as the son of the heir (I did not use the 2nd in line deliberately), he is not considered dispensable.

Last edited:
Skydragon said:
I thought the MOD had already made it clear that William would not be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, that they are considering allowing a deployment to NI, which although far from 'safe' is not as dangerous.
As with Harry, the decision does not lay with the individual and it doesn't matter what William wants, the fact is that as the son of the heir (I did not use the 2nd in line deliberately), he is not considered dispensable.

Than what is the use of letting him do armoured recce training if can't be deployed? Why not just make William just join the mounted regiment?

There is no such act or law. However, after the Sullivan brothers were killed, there were several bills introduced in Congress that related to family members serving in a military unit together. None of these bills were enacted into law. However, there are military policies and directives to discourage immediate family members from serving together.The facts: The five Sullivan brothers of Waterloo, Iowa, enlisted in the Navy on the same day, January 3, 1942. The brothers were assigned to the U.S.S. Juneau, which was torpedoed and sank on November 13, 1942, killing all but 10 crew members. Although an existing Navy regulation forbade the assignment of the brothers to the same ship, their request to serve together was granted. The existing regulation was issued in July 1942, and was certainly influenced by the loss of the U.S.S. Arizona during Pearl Harbor, with three brothers among the casualties.

Source: U.S. Senate

Correct me if I'm wrong here, Skydragon, but couldn't William serve IF his country needed him? Perhaps, not in the Iraqi war, but if there was let's say a WWIII (God forbid that should happen). I am sure there are situations were he could, I guess.

kpusa1981 said:
HRH Kimetha:I never really knew about the Sullivan Act in its entirety. Thanks kpusa1 for explaining it. But, it did give me another perspective of sending William to the battle zone, if Harry was already there. Then again, as you pointed out, Harry would be out of the zone by the time William can go. So, William can also go to the battle zone whether he is the 2nd in line.never really knew about the Sullivan Act in its entirety.

What do you mean?

Sometimes I type too fast and forget to go back and reread, so there may be sintax and grammatical errors in my posts, etc. What I meant was, I thought there WAS such an act, but there is not.

In reference to William and Harry being posted in Iraq, I never thought that as one came home, the other could go and not have both brothers over there at the same time (which isn't related to any Sullivan Act). :)

I asked my sons and daughters why they wanted to join the armed services and they all said they wanted to follow in their fathers footsteps, to 'make them proud'.

We are very proud of them, but it would have saved us so much money if they had become accountants or veterinary surgeons! :rolleyes:

As Harry's thread was in danger of being swamped by his brother, posts relating exclusively to William have been moved out.

Prince Harry: The Saviour of Basra?

Prince Harry: The Saviour of Basra?

In interviews conducted by IWPR, Basra residents gave various reasons for welcoming the prince, who will come as a serving officer with the Blues and Royals.

Some are impressed that a senior royal is willing to put his life on the line in such a dangerous country, and that Britain is willing to let him do so.

Others hope that as a royal rather than a politician, he might play some mediating role between the army and the people of Basra, where ten British soldiers have been killed and 60 injured in the past three months alone.

Accustomed to seeing the sons of their own leaders enjoying lives of privilege and comfort, they are surprised and pleased at the egalitarian approach of a British prince serving in the army like any ordinary citizen.
interesting article;)

Skydragon said:
I think they are expecting rather a lot from someone they probably won't get a chance to see or talk to, unless we are back to the 'Harry is here' flag, as for rebuilding Basra.....:rolleyes:
No, lets not do that lap again. :wacko:

Though I have to admit, it is interesting to hear the spin put on his mere presence in the war zone. If that does generate any positive PR I am all for it, as for the rest ..... well Harry has been quite specific as to his role.... With his men, in the field. :ermm:

Somehow I don't think Sandhurst does a module on "Politics and the exceptionally junior officer in the war zone".:ROFLMAO:

MARG said:
Somehow I don't think Sandhurst does a module on "Politics and the exceptionally junior officer in the war zone".:ROFLMAO:
They do 'Defence and International Affairs'. :rolleyes:

Skydragon said:
They do 'Defence and International Affairs'. :rolleyes:
From what we have been led to believe about Prince Harry's proclivities, it's completely on the cards that he thinks that has a lot to do with either fending off unwanted female attentions with panache or being extremely discrete! :lol:

Last edited:
You're sharp tonight Marg! :)

Hmm, I wonder if thats the course Prince Albert of Monaco took?! :ROFLMAO:

Suonymona said:
Hmm, I wonder if thats the course Prince Albert of Monaco took?! :ROFLMAO:
Damn! I hope not! I'd rather like to see Harry happy, married and with a couple of legitimate heirs by the time he reaches Albert's age. :brows:

cowarth said:
Very interesting article.

Yeah, I totally agree. I wish harry all the luck & safety. However, They way THE FIRM & THEIR PR TEAM is spinning this. That article sounds like he will bring Peace to the masses. :lol: Please, But, It is nice to see the media bumping harry up instead of ripping him apart. So, I guess this is a good. thing.

think they are expecting rather a lot from someone they probably won't get a chance to see or talk to, unless we are back to the 'Harry is here' flag, as for rebuilding Basra
Yeah, I have to give to agree with you on this one.( Good God, stop the presses:ohmy: ) But, anyhooooo;)

I just think that he will go the way of Prince Charles & serve but, far away from any real danger.

He is going for six months, in the USA it is a year long deployment.

Please stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon said:
How Prince Harry trained in Norfolk's 'little Basra'

It was not Buckingham Palace or Boujis that Prince Harry visited for a final piece of preparation before his deployment to Iraq. Rather, Cornet Wales, as the 22-year-old Blues and Royals soldier is known, was last week dispatched to a mock "Iraqi" village in the depths of Thetford forest, Norfolk.

Patrick Barkham: How Prince Harry trained in Norfolk's 'little Basra' | Special Reports | Guardian Unlimited Politics

Here's an article about "Stanta" and Eastmere (with pics):
http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/Hidd...ry=Hidden&itemid=NOED20 Jun 2006 11:35:36:487

- though I would not have recognized this as "German village"... But then it should look like one in the former GDR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom