Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was that, contrary to the quote attributed in the article to Meghan ("I am American, I hug"), hugging strangers is not a common trait of American culture. In fact, I wouldn't describe the average American as a "hugger". Hugging seems to be big though among theater/TV/cinema people like Meghan, so her reference sample is probably biased.

I just said that in The South hugging is very common so it's not just some Hollywood thing. Are Southern Americans NOT American?

Maybe we shouldn't try to describe the average American as only coming from "middle America". It's not a nice implication and it insinuates that if you aren't from the flyover states that somehow you aren't really "American".

That's kind of what I was objecting to in your post - this idea that somehow hugging is just for Hollywood types when it's very common across the south and other parts of the country.

My point was that, contrary to the quote attributed in the article to Meghan ("I am American, I hug"), hugging strangers is not a common trait of American culture. In fact, I wouldn't describe the average American as a "hugger".

Absolutely!
I only hug immediate family, and VERY close friends.

Otherwise, no touching, please!

Is there any reason to believe this story is true?

Roya Nikkah is a decent reporter though and the Times isn't some rag.

And re Americans and hugging. I've traveled a lot and will say Americans are definitely much more "huggy" and tactile in general than most places I've been too. I am not saying every American, but it is definitely something that is a marked difference to me from other cultures.

Meghan is a hugger. There are videos of her hugging lots of people. I am sure she doesn't force a hug on anyone and asks for permission/respects people saying no.

if this is the worst thing she's ever done, I don't find it to be a big deal.

Ugh! I'm trying to watch some specials on Meghan and Harry but they keep talking to the worst of the commentator leeches: Paul Burrell and Andrew Morton!

Ugh! I'm trying to watch some specials on Meghan and Harry but they keep talking to the worst of the commentator leeches: Paul Burrell and Andrew Morton!

What are you watching? Maybe I can find them too - I was just looking but my tv tried to make me subscribe to new channels, lol.

Can we wait for the whole story before we judge her for hugging? I can’t believe I’m actually saying this. It says she’s advise against it, but said nothing about staff being uncomfortable with it. If the staff appreciates it and she wants to and the moment called for it. Do we still think it’s vulgar or whatever? I highly doubt Meghan is forcing anyone to hug her. Just likely in Scotland, she didn’t hug everyone, but she hugged the woman that told her she was extremely moved and motivated by Meghan’s UN speech. It was appropriate emotion at the moment. Highly doubt she’s going Oprah style and say “you get a hug and you get a hug and you get a hug”.

Last edited:
Even though I am not a hugging person at all, I don't think the “hugging issue” is that serious (and I don't think hugging is a “vulgar behavior”). To me it is more problematic if she still hugs them after they told her that they don't enjoy that (or chases people and forces people to hug her......:lol:

if this is the worst thing she's ever done, I don't find it to be a big deal.

Haha I agree.

I had an image popping in my head of Meghan grabbing a courtier in a hug at random and them spilling their tea, adjusting their monocle and exclaiming "I say!"

I will go with that :lol:

I know this was posted hours ago, but I am still laughing.

The "I say!" with the monocle adjustment has me rolling. :lol::lol::lol:

What are you watching? Maybe I can find them too - I was just looking but my tv tried to make me subscribe to new channels, lol.
It was called A Royal Match:Harry and Meghan, and it was on CNN. There was another one I found on YouTube but it had ANDREW MORTON!!! [emoji47][emoji36]

It was called A Royal Match:Harry and Meghan, and it was on CNN. There was another one I found on YouTube but it had ANDREW MORTON!!! [emoji47][emoji36]

Xenia, don't sweat. We have the Lifetime movie to look forward to tomorrow. And specials all next week. My DVR is rearing to go.

Is there any reason to believe this story is true?

I mean it could be or not. Frankly it isn't some big deal. People will make it more or less than it is based on their own POV. We have seen Meghan and Harry hug people. They are tactile. It is what it is.

Last edited:
I started watching one last night, then Samantha came on, and I couldn't take it anymore.

I already set mine - the movie is over 2 hours long!! So excited.

I set my DVR up to record two airings...just to be on the safe side. I can't wait--I think it's going to be cheesy goodness!

Not sure. My DVR showed me a bunch of airings. I just picked the first airing and another one in the middle of the night.

I started watching one last night, then Samantha came on, and I couldn't take it anymore.
Yeah she's the other nitwit who keeps popping up; maybe its because she hasn't been around that long, but I find her less annoying than Morton and Burrell.

I Find the hugging thing very disturbing.
Americans are quite tectile, most Americans I know are huggers. That being said, there is a clear understanding of who you hug and who you don’t.
Friends and family? Yes!
Your boss or subordinates at work? Absolutely not! That a potentiomal harrsment suit waiting to happen.

Meghan is the staff boss, their job is to serve her every need and wish, make sure her house is clean, laundry is done (I assume, it’s possible Harry has a washing and dryer at the cottage).
Point is: saying “no” to the future wife of an HRH, who’s father is the next king, is not an option as it may upset her and thus the royal family; which may cause the staffer to lose their job.
I’m not saying it will happen, but! There is a strict professional line that must not be crossed. The staffers are not, nor ever will be, her friends.

If this is true, it’s imo another example of Meghan failing to grasp and internalize royal life and all the protocol and restrictions that come with it (written and non written).
It’s why I thought her moving to Britain for a year or two on a work visa (or any non fiancée visa) was the better idea for her in the long run.

Prince Harry is famously tactile and known for his warmth, and it seems the royal has found his match in his bride-to-be, Meghan Markle. A close friend of the former actress has described Meghan as "warm" and "not formal", describing how she often hugs staff at Kensington Palace. Bonnie Hammer, the woman who hired Meghan to star in Suits, said: "Meghan is not formal, Meghan is warm, she's a hugger, she's a kisser.

"I heard a story from her very early in their dating and Meghan would come up to the palace and she'd get out of the car and she'd have a bag or two. The guards would basically greet her and kind of walk her in. After the first couple of times I guess she started giving a hug to the guys, which wasn't exactly protocol and at some point somebody said to her, 'people don't usually do that' and she said (shrugging) 'I'm American, I hug'."

https://us.hellomagazine.com/royalt...oton&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com

Last edited:
So all this came from hugging the security guard?

I also notice on twitter a bunch of reporters and photographers are posting pictures of various members of the royal family hugging people. I'm guessing this is a response to this Meghan story.

Seems it was blown out of proportion, as per usual.

Last edited:
Hugging staff is completely different from hugging anyone else. Absolutely be polite but hugging people who work for you crosses a professional line.

Except they didn't work for her. She was the girlfriend being nice to the guard who was helping her. It clearly states it was in the early stage of the relationship when this apparently took place.

People have criticized Meghan for hugging others too. "Why so Huggy Wuggy?" So, again, I think most seeing this as more of that. All the hugging pictures are cute though. Lmao.

Hugging people comes with upbringing, sometimes (or most times) on culture itself, but also comes with personality. I'm not a hug person myself though my mom is a very hugging person (and in Portugal, or at least where I live, we show affection physically), but I dislike that physical approach personally. So Meghan maybe likes to show affection that way, maybe it's just her thing, american or not.

However, I agree with those who say that hugging the staff crosses the professional bondaries. Hugging family, friends or children (which I find very cute when royals do that) it's fine, but co-workers or people who work for you, it's not professional at all, and it can bring issues of many forms. Well, if that's what really happened with Meghan though...

Funny montage on Twitter this morning...showing all of the royals (except the Queen I think) hugging folks...strangers! Quite a giggle over all this 'angst' because Meghan supposedly said whatever they say she said.

LaRae

Royals hug people all the time when on engagements. Children love to give Kate a hug.

To me that’s completely different from hugging staff at KP. The palace is a professional environment.

And we don't know what the other Royals do behind closed doors when it comes to hugging or not. We also don't know if the report is even true about Meghan.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom