Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so thrilled to hear about Nottingham Academy. I know this is an area that Harry holds close to his heart.

Here are a few more photos of the Wax Figures at Madame Tussauds in London.

PPE Agency

The Daily Mail article and the discussion about whether or not KP should have paid Thomas Markle's transportation and hotel have been moved to the family thread (which currently remains closed). Posts discussing when family members/friends will arrive in London, can be found in the Wedding Musings thread.

Last edited:
Meghan Markle is firmly rejecting royal protocol and literally embracing a new, informal style at the Palace, hugging staff against advice. In her own words: “I’m American. I hug.” My @thesundaytimes story tomorrow #royalwedding* #meghanmarkle #PrinceHarry #anewstyle

Via Roya Nikkhah Twitter

Lord help us

I freeze when the recipient of unwarranted [and unwanted] hugs..
I expect the 'staff' will do so too.
'Blurring' the distinction between the servers and the served helps no-one and merely causes embarrassment.
POOR them,[IF true].

Last edited:
I am sure she isn't going around and forcing people to hug her at random.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, not a 'huggy' person myself, and I can see why staff would be uncomfortable. It's something that she is going to have to learn. The learning curve for her is going to be quite steep.

Spheno, how is she displaying vulgar behaviour?

Folks, the woman isn’t going around hugging every staff member in the palaces. Most likely the ones that she will be associated with. Also, no one is forced to hug anybody.

I am sure she isn't going around and forcing people to hug her at random.

This made me laugh.

Images of Meghan chasing people around the palace. "Hug Me!"

???

Folks, the woman isn’t going around hugging every staff member in the palaces. Most likely the ones that she will be associated with. Also, no one is forced to hug anybody.

Quite right, but some may be to polite to decline. I work with people who like to hug me all the time, and no matter how much I say, no hugs please, they still do it.

Again, Meghan seems like the very personable type, and there is nothing wrong with that, but as Wyevale said, some staffers may not be ok with the blurring of the lines.

And on a lighter note, this is a quote from a movie, "I'm English dear. We only show affection to dogs and horses." This was said in a context of a granddaughter wanting to give a granny a hug.

This made me laugh.

Images of Meghan chasing people around the palace. "Hug Me!"

???

I had an image popping in my head of Meghan grabbing a courtier in a hug at random and them spilling their tea, adjusting their monocle and exclaiming "I say!"

I will go with that :lol:

If the hugging story is true, then it strikes me as being an extremely bad idea. There's a power differential there that, again, if true, it seems that Meghan may not have had a chance to internalize. She's the one in the position of power, and staff are employees; boundaries are to protect the dignity of both employer and employee.

I'm really questioning this report, it just seems so unlikely.

Quite right, but some may be to polite to decline. I work with people who like to hug me all the time, and no matter how much I say, no hugs please, they still do it.

Again, Meghan seems like the very personable type, and there is nothing wrong with that, but as Wyevale said, some staffers may not be ok with the blurring of the lines.

And on a lighter note, this is a quote from a movie, "I'm English dear. We only show affection to dogs and horses." This was said in a context of a granddaughter wanting to give a granny a hug.

I’m sure Meghan isn’t going to force an uncomfortable hug on anyone.

Royal life is pretty relaxed today compared to Princess Elizabeth’s day. If you watch these royal wedding documentaries, these so called “Royal Experts” talk about royal protocol and all the rules Meghan have to follow. They make it seem like the woman won’t be able to breath in the palaces and would have to follow protocol down to the letter. Royal life isn’t that stiff, starchy and formal anymore.

Last edited:
My mother has live in care, cooking and housekeeping. She doesn’t go around hugging them though.

Palace staff are there to serve Meghan, not to be her friend or for her to hug them because she’s American.

It is a professional environment.

I’m sure Meghan isn’t going to force an uncomfortable hug on anyone.

Royal life is pretty relaxed today compared to Princess Elizabeth’s day. If you watch these royal wedding documentaries, these so called “Royal Experts” talk about royal protocol and all the rules Meghan have to follow. They make it seem like the woman won’t be able to breath in the palaces and would have to follow protocol down to the letter. Royal life isn’t that stiff, starchy and formal anymore.

I understand about the 'protocol' issue some like to insist the BRF adhere to. However, I think hugs is a personal and professional issue. The individuals who want to hug me are my subordinates, and I get extremely uncomfortable. It is something that she will have to get used to. It's not an affront to Meghan, but it's just something that is not done in a professional setting.

I also think that some have to realise that Meghan comes from a working environment where the people she worked with both in front of and behind the cameras were considered her 'family' and were also probably a very buggy bunch.

I thought this article by Diana's private secretary Patrick Jephson quite insightful Dman.

To me, these are the "unwritten rules" sometimes mentioned - to succeed within the Royal Family.

I don't think things are so relaxed that these points are not still valid.

A guide to royal survival by Princess Diana’s private secretary | Daily Mail Online

And on another note, with all the Royal specials on TV, I saw some old footage of Diana being grabbed by a member of the public during a routine walkabout.

Although she regained her composure and the security guys moved so quickly and forcefully - it showed how vunerable the family members are whenever they're out. Bad experience for Diana.

(Hope things work out Dman and you're able to watch the wedding.)

Last edited:
:previous:

Headline says it all.

Dear Meghan, never look like you're acting and for heaven's sake spare us the right-on cliches! A (rather spiky) guide to royal survival by Princess Diana's private secretary

Jephson is flogging a book, and much of the article is about Diana and the other royals he knew. It's not critical of Meghan as far as I can see.

Although I am a person that believes that hugs make the world go 'round, I do believe that each and every person has a right to their personal space. I am a hugger but I realize too that other people may not be. Its the same thing with calling someone "sweetie" or "honey". Some people don't care for it.

Usually one feels by intuition when and where a hug would be appropriate and wanted. Most definitely its my opinion that a professional setting is not conductive for this. Diana made this mistake by venturing often into the kitchen to "chat" with staff. Eventually she was told "that side of the door is where you belong. This side of the door is ours".

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts discussing Meghan's dad have been moved to the family thread.

Actually, it is not common to hug strangers in "Middle America". It must be a California/Hollywood thing.

Actually, it is not common to hug strangers in "Middle America". It must be a California/Hollywood thing.

Or a Southern thing (Meghan's mother is from the south originally). I'm confused where "Middle America" came in for this. And from my experience having lived in both The South and California - the hugs flowed a lot more freely in The South - in CA when I spoke to folks on the street I think they thought I was crazy. :lol:

Or a Southern thing (Meghan's mother is from the south originally). I'm confused where "Middle America" came in for this. And from my experience having lived in both The South and California - the hugs flowed a lot more freely in The South - in CA when I spoke to folks on the street I think they thought I was crazy. :lol:

My point was that, contrary to the quote attributed in the article to Meghan ("I am American, I hug"), hugging strangers is not a common trait of American culture. In fact, I wouldn't describe the average American as a "hugger". Hugging seems to be big though among theater/TV/cinema people like Meghan, so her reference sample is probably biased.

My point was that, contrary to the quote attributed in the article to Meghan ("I am American, I hug"), hugging strangers is not a common trait of American culture. In fact, I wouldn't describe the average American as a "hugger". Hugging seems to be big though among theater/TV/cinema people like Meghan, so her reference sample is probably biased.

I agree-the only Americans I hug or who hug me are close friends and family. I certainly don't randomly hug people I know or meet. And it definitely is forbidden in my workplace.

I'm from the south originally but have lived in the midwest many years...random hugging of strangers is not at all common.

LaRae

I'm not a hugger but I've been in plenty of situations where I've been hugged. My guess this is like the moment where Meghan hugged the woman who told her she was inspired by her UN speech. She went to shake Meghan's hand and she hugged her instead. I don't see Meghan going around hugging anyone and everyone but if she feels grateful that's her nature. Not that I agree but that's my take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom