Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look....based on my posts, everyone would know that I love Harry and Meghan. Mrs. Greer's comments aside, posters on this forum have basicaly said the same thing.

Despite loving this couple, reality is reality. Meghan has given up her ENTIRE life for Harry at age 36 and I sincerely hope that it will be worth it in the end. In addition, I hope Harry and the royals always appreciate the sacrifices that Meghan have made to become a royal spouse.

That being said, I don't think that Meghan would have agreed to be Harry's wife if she didn't think tnat it would be worth it!

Indeed, Meghan gave up her former life to do exactly what she set out to do, i.e., lots of charity work (mostly in the sense of raising awareness and some advocacy). The context will be a little different than she imagined until about 2 years ago but it's more high profile (which I think she sees as a bonus) than she could have imagined as well.

Here's the interview: starts at 9:50 sec in, and as usual most of what Greer says is jokey and ott to make an often valid point. She's an admitted republican. :flowers:

Look....based on my posts, everyone would know that I love Harry and Meghan. Mrs. Greer's comments aside, posters on this forum have basicaly said the same thing.

Despite loving this couple, reality is reality. Meghan has given up her ENTIRE life for Harry at age 36 and I sincerely hope that it will be worth it in the end. In addition, I hope Harry and the royals always appreciate the sacrifices that Meghan have made to become a royal spouse.

That being said, I don't think that Meghan would have agreed to be Harry's wife if she didn't think tnat it would be worth it!

But Meghan didn't give up her entire life for this relationship. She quit her acting career and moved to UK. Surely she still has her friends and loved ones in her life.

Meghan isn't a dumb 20 year old who just took and left with a guy she met a month ago. She has her own financial security, she educated, smart, and no doubt didn't do this decisions to get married with Harry without lots of research and educating herself what it entails. She more than any of us know what her future royal role entails, what is expected from her etc. So, Imo, sometimes people do worry, or paint her future life in a negative light out of misplaced concern. Jmho, of course.

:previous: JMO. but I think Harry also gave up some stuff.

He no longer dresses in those two tired casual plaid shirts.
He's stepped up the professional, statesman like behavior
It's been forever since we got a "Harry, at 4 AM bleary eyed" story (I know the Bach party is coming)
He's upped his professional content in speaking/out and about
No Vegas or vegasesque stuff
I personally think he is playing the "cute child" card less and and upped his appearances/photo opps with adults.

But in general, I see them both just smiling in a genuine way so much more often. BOTH OF THEM. She is no longer just a red carpet dolly. He is no longer the wild child bachelor of the BRF. hey still both smile for a living; I just see the smiles as more genuine together.

This is all JMO.

I love Germaine Greer! :flowers: Amazing woman, frank and articulate. She always says what many think but dare not say. While I think Harry and Meghan both are in love and are entering the marriage with serious intentions, there are so many areas where this marriage could implode (more so than for most). Ms Greer is honest, especially regarding the boredom. Meghan has given up so much there is a scary imbalance in the relationship from the outset that might create problems later. I agree with Ms Greer. (Funny that she suggests Meghan might bolt and take Harry with her! ;) ? )

I stopped listening when she implied Meghan came from poverty. Says so much.

But Meghan didn't give up her entire life for this relationship. She quit her acting career and moved to UK. Surely she still has her friends and loved ones in her life.

Meghan isn't a dumb 20 year old who just took and left with a guy she met a month ago. She has her own financial security, she educated, smart, and no doubt didn't do this decisions to get married with Harry without lots of research and educating herself what it entails. She more than any of us know what her future royal role entails, what is expected from her etc. So, Imo, sometimes people do worry, or paint her future life in a negative light out of misplaced concern. Jmho, of course.

I feel many keep comparing Meghan to Diana entering the family. Unlike Kate, they both had a shorter period to adjust before the glare of the RF spotlight shined on them. The difference is that Diana was 19 and extremely naive and sheltered in a lot of ways. That is not Meghan. Meghan is the same age Diana was when she died. She has lived a full life before Harry. She is well aware of what she walking into.

No one can tell the future but right now I don't get some wishing ill will on them.

Last edited:
:previous: JMO. but I think Harry also gave up some stuff.

He no longer dresses in those two tired casual plaid shirts.
He's stepped up the professional, statesman like behavior
It's been forever since we got a "Harry, at 4 AM bleary eyed" story (I know the Bach party is coming)
He's upped his professional content in speaking/out and about
No Vegas or vegasesque stuff
I personally think he is playing the "cute child" card less and and upped his appearances/photo opps with adults.

But in general, I see them both just smiling in a genuine way so much more often. BOTH OF THEM. She is no longer just a red carpet dolly. He is no longer the wild child bachelor of the BRF. hey still both smile for a living; I just see the smiles as more genuine together.

This is all JMO.

I thought he had his stag party already?

IMO he has been so much happier over the last almost 2 years. He's really turned a corner from the immature troubled young man to a mature focused mature man. The counseling and the relationship have been key.

I didn't know Meghan prior to Harry but she certainly has looked happy! Beaming at times even. Rather giddy for a 'mature woman' ..it's very sweet.

LaRae

This all may be OT so I hope the mods move the posts to the relevant thread. :flowers:

I stopped listening when she implied Meghan came from poverty. Says so much.

But she didn't do that. ;) Not really. The interviewer asked a leading (and generic question) about motivations for marriage, which Greer does not 'believe in' btw so she's already in a less than fairytale frame of mind. She says marriage is a 'hopeless system' that 'doesn't deliver what's on the tin' and then makes very pertinent observations about child support, etc. This is the real issue for Greer, and rightly so. (One suspects she feels the 'fairytale' aspect is a disservice to the issues of regular women regarding marriage worldwide).

Greer states that she very much hopes they are in love, and the interviewer asks what other reason would there be for marrying? After a look of incredulity ? Greer's answer is money, using the word 'poverty' to make her point. (Keep in mind that Harry strikes out with any woman in his peer bracket precisely because such women are not attracted to the elevated amount of money he represents and perceived 'perks' of royal status). Then she answers the question 'seriously' stating that (if it isn't love) it's because Meghan thinks she will have a good time, but then concedes that Meghan is probably in love with Harry.

Then with a twinkle in her eye she says Harry is glamorous 'despite having red hair'. ;) It's a joke. (Which is Greer's admission that Harry is sexy, maybe ;) ). Even with the interviewer's comment regarding this marriage conferring status on Meghan, Greer's shoulders slump as she responds: 'Yeah, but for all the wrong reasons' (revealing her Marxist leanings perhaps? ? ). She states that whatever status she now will have/achieve will always be adjunct to him. She's right.

Fact is, prior to this marriage, Meghan was doing what so many women dream: making it on her own. She had a career. She was making her own money, enough to travel and hob-nob at interesting social levels, and all on her own efforts. India Hicks gives the most relevant observation: Meghan has sacrificed normality, she will never be able to go out and buy a bag of crisps, and she emphasizes that that is no minor matter.

But one last thing: the constraints on even maintaining casual relationships, striking up a conversation with someone at the bus stop, having to be on the continual look-out for 'unreliable' people trying to use you: ugh! It's a lot Meghan is taking on, and likely because she doesn't really understand what it is going to be like across years. Maybe she does now, or is starting to have glimmers. Over time, like Greer suggests, the boredom may consume Meghan enough so that she walks (she did once before). She doesn't hang around. Nor should she, or anyone. ('Marriage is a hopeless system that doesn't work' per Greer).

I love Greer's conspiracy theory regarding Meghan's Christmas hat! ;) ? That it was Meghan's 'guerilla move'! Oh la! How can anyone not like the outrageous Germaine Greer! She is on every female's side! :flowers:

Last edited:
Folks have to take Meghan’s lead and not pay attention to the negative stuff. This is a beautiful time in a couple’s life and all that negativity just don’t fit this couple.

Ah, Lady Nimue:

Just because marriage does not work for GG, does not mean it is not working for others. These 2 people have yet to be *married* and lived with each other as a *married* couple. Just living together does not mean that a *marriage* is the same as being married you have a commitment to each other while living together unmarried, well someone can walk anytime. I find GG a bit of an fame person, wanting to put her 2 cents in just for the sake of another 15 minutes of fame. I do not take her seriously at all. In fact with any media person why would anyone take them seriously for after all just like us here, it is *Their Opinion* on any issue and that does not matter to me. I like to look at the facts in which is what did Meghan do, how she grew up, her family..not a gossipy person wanting something.

I think Meghan knows just what she is getting into for she is one very intelligent smart and strong woman on her own.........she suffers no fools from what I see of her in the way she deals with the so called family members that have betrayed her left and right all for the sake of money.

I give her and Harry a chance at a wonderful joyful fulfilled life with lots of love and happiness, as we all know if they find that within themselves then they come out better then some that don't. That I know for darn sure....:flowers:

Ah, Lady Nimue: Just because marriage does not work for GG, does not mean it is not working for others. These 2 people have yet to be *married* and lived with each other as a *married* couple. Just living together does not mean that a *marriage* is the same as being married you have a commitment to each other while living together unmarried, well someone can walk anytime.

True enough, M.Payton, regarding 'living together' and a commitment (though the latter can happen without marriage as I have several acquaintances that demonstrate that). :flowers: Though I don't think Greer is self-referencing in this instance. She is far too much of an intellectual globalist to be doing solely that. JMO.

I find GG a bit of an fame person, wanting to put her 2 cents in just for the sake of another 15 minutes of fame.

She doesn't have to be a 'fame person'. She is asked for interviews on the strength of her writings and intellectual prowess (just like any other academic). Not for nothing is this woman well-known. She was in the trenches with the Feminist Movement and deserves respect IMO. She has suffered for her views from both men and women alike. She knows the game better than most. :cool:

I do not take her seriously at all.

You should. IMO. ;) She has routinely been ahead of the curve, and she never agrees to say what is popular. She requires work to understand (just like a Noam Chomsky or a William F Buckley). Check her out on YouTube where her interviews across the years show an impressive and prescient grasp of issues. JMO.

Last edited:
I can see asking if the marriage will last after 5 years, but it would be nice if the press can spend the rest of April putting Meghan down and then in May let us have a grace period from all the predictions of gloom and doom and bullying relatives getting free press.

The good thing is the career Meghan had no choice in taking in order to marry Harry aligns with her own goals and interests. But, the fact that once she chose to marry him so many other choices were taken away from her (where to live, what job to do, her whole way of life up to this point). And again, it's a good thing that the things she has to do to marry Harry are things she wants to do. That the choices she's losing (and she is losing them. Anyone who marries a working royal loses choices) are ones she's okay with doesn't mean that the choices aren't taken away.

I think it's sad (and it's not his fault, it's just the family he was born into) that Harry didn't need to make - and I guess couldn't- any comparable compromises in order to marry Meghan. Unless she issued an ultimatum on plaid shirts and he considered them a major life change. But, he'll never have to or be able to up and move for the sake of her life. Or change careers for her. And it does, to me, make it a one way street. Although I'm sure all the things he can do he will - love her, defend her when she needs it, support her in the ways he can.

To me, what Meghan is doing is only vaguely comparable to someone marrying and moving to another country. If I marry Mr. Economics Professor in Spain and move to his country, I don't have to be his teaching assistant for us to get married. If I want to open a dance studio or practice law, I can do that. And if one day, my job offers an opportunity to go somewhere else, my hypothetical spouse can say since I made those changes for him he can, in turn, change his life for me. That isn't the case for these two. And I think this should be acknowledged.

Not saying Meghan won't be happy and fulfilled. I say the best thing is that Harry isn't the only positive aspect of this marriage for her. Just imagine if this kind of work isn't something she had an interest in. She would have the choice of marrying the man she loves, but doing work she doesn't want to do for the rest of her married life, or not being with the man she loves. So, thank goodness that the work she has to do in order to be with him is work she cares about

I think everyone should accept what Meghan herself said. She does not see it as giving up anything, she views it as a change in direction.
That seems like a very positive and proactive way to view her future life.

Just because marriage does not work for GG, does not mean it is not working for others. These 2 people have yet to be *married* and lived with each other as a *married* couple. Just living together does not mean that a *marriage* is the same as being married you have a commitment to each other while living together unmarried, well someone can walk anytime. I find GG a bit of an fame person, wanting to put her 2 cents in just for the sake of another 15 minutes of fame. I do not take her seriously at all. In fact with any media person why would anyone take them seriously for after all just like us here, it is *Their Opinion* on any issue and that does not matter to me. I like to look at the facts in which is what did Meghan do, how she grew up, her family..not a gossipy person wanting something.

I think Meghan knows just what she is getting into for she is one very intelligent smart and strong woman on her own.........she suffers no fools from what I see of her in the way she deals with the so called family members that have betrayed her left and right all for the sake of money.

I give her and Harry a chance at a wonderful joyful fulfilled life with lots of love and happiness, as we all know if they find that within themselves then they come out better then some that don't. That I know for darn sure....:flowers:
I don't know this lady but about one thing she is right: Meghan was married before and for whatever reason the marriage was dissolved within 2 years (in her words 'she bolted before'), so it's not that Meghan is a completely blank sheet regarding marriage. I sincerely hope it works out this time around unlike her fist marriage as I do believe in marriage.

I don't know this lady but about one thing she is right: Meghan was married before and for whatever reason the marriage was dissolved within 2 years (in her words 'she bolted before'), so it's not that Meghan is a completely blank sheet regarding marriage. I sincerely hope it works out this time around unlike her fist marriage as I do believe in marriage.
Well people make mistakes.
The Queen's family learned it the hard way.

Luckily Meghan will have great role models when it comes to second marriages. Charles and Camilla, Anne and Tim both seem happy and settled after divorce. So they are a symbol that you can get it right and not to give up on love no matter what society says.

I don't like bets and predictions of when a marriage goes under. Unless you are Nostradamus no one can predict the future. I wish Harry and Meghan the best and look forward to follow their journeys. I'm looking forward to Meghan's appearances at CHOGM this week. I can't find the full schedule for the events and who is attending what.

The good thing is the career Meghan had no choice in taking in order to marry Harry aligns with her own goals and interests. But, the fact that once she chose to marry him so many other choices were taken away from her (where to live, what job to do, her whole way of life up to this point). And again, it's a good thing that the things she has to do to marry Harry are things she wants to do. That the choices she's losing (and she is losing them. Anyone who marries a working royal loses choices) are ones she's okay with doesn't mean that the choices aren't taken away.

Exactly so! :flowers: Across years how will this loss of options impact Meghan? It's a real question, and it's my guess that Meghan herself has considered it, and weighed the cost analysis. I suspect Harry has also considered it and there may be an 'understanding'. In the flush of an intense connection anything can seem sustainable. My hope for Meghan and Harry is that their love matures like Edward's and Sophie's. But I also think there is likely going to be changes coming down the road, especially with Charles as King, and Harry knows that. I think royal life as it has been will not be as it continues to be, and may well ease up for the inhabitants of that institution. Just a speculation.

I think it's sad (and it's not his fault, it's just the family he was born into) that Harry didn't need to make - and I guess couldn't- any comparable compromises in order to marry Meghan. Unless she issued an ultimatum on plaid shirts and he considered them a major life change. But, he'll never have to or be able to up and move for the sake of her life. Or change careers for her. And it does, to me, make it a one way street. Although I'm sure all the things he can do he will - love her, defend her when she needs it, support her in the ways he can.

I think Harry has already given indications that he expects the institution of monarchy to shift. Recall his comments about modernizing the monarchy a couple of years ago, which seemed a bit cheeky at the time? He was dating Meghan when he said them, I do believe, not so?

So maybe it won't be a one-way-street forever. Maybe Harry has promised something for down the line (with Charles and William being agreeable). They being able to live in the US for part of the year, and raise their children internationally, might be one such promise. Pure speculation, of course, but I suggest it because I don't believe Meghan is the type of person to willingly have a cage door shut after her, even for a gilded cage.

It's possible that Harry views Meghan as his liberator, too. She brings to him possibilities. I hope so. We'll see. :flowers:

To me, what Meghan is doing is only vaguely comparable to someone marrying and moving to another country. If I marry Mr. Economics Professor in Spain and move to his country, I don't have to be his teaching assistant for us to get married. If I want to open a dance studio or practice law, I can do that. And if one day, my job offers an opportunity to go somewhere else, my hypothetical spouse can say since I made those changes for him he can, in turn, change his life for me. That isn't the case for these two. And I think this should be acknowledged.

Beautifully summarized. All the nuances accounted for! :flowers: You've nailed it.

Not saying Meghan won't be happy and fulfilled. I say the best thing is that Harry isn't the only positive aspect of this marriage for her. Just imagine if this kind of work isn't something she had an interest in. She would have the choice of marrying the man she loves, but doing work she doesn't want to do for the rest of her married life, or not being with the man she loves. So, thank goodness that the work she has to do in order to be with him is work she cares about

Correct. :flowers: The whole set-up may fit her like a glove. I do wish them well and hope they make it over all the hurdles (including the 7-year itch ;) ).

What is certain is that they are charismatic as a couple and in their own right as individuals. The perfection of the match is almost spooky. ;)

Last edited:
Luckily for Meghan her past work is celebrated by Harry and KP. They shared a link to her Time article in addition to including the charity she supports. I was very impressed at how they stress Harry and Meghan as a couple and also support her accomplishments.

I think Harry has already given indications that he expects the institution of monarchy to shift. Recall his comments about modernizing the monarchy a couple of years ago, which seemed a bit cheeky at the time? He was dating Meghan when he said them, I do believe, not so?

So maybe it won't be a one-way-street forever. Maybe Harry has promised something for down the line (with Charles and William being agreeable). They being able to live in the US for part of the year, and raise their children internationally, might be one such promise. Pure speculation, of course, but I suggest it because I don't believe Meghan is the type of person to willingly have a cage door shut after her, even for a gilded cage.

It's possible that Harry views Meghan as much as his liberator as lover. She brings to him possibilities. I hope so. We'll see. :flowers:

Hmm, interesting speculations but Charles will not be able to unilaterally decide all things as King. The British government has a say in some aspects as well.
RPOs having to live overseas to protect the King's son, daughter-in-law and possible grandchildren would raise issues.

Last edited:

Ah, yes, when she said that which is so very hard for some to hear: that trans women are an example of mysogyny when a man is lauded for being a better woman than a woman. (This was when Catelyn Jenner was on the cover of magazines and was about to be awarded some female award for Glamour Woman of the Year). Her insights are always incisive and (yes) uncomfortable. But damn the torpedoes she will say what she thinks. :cool:

BTW apropos the red hair, she was a knock-out as a young woman. Really amazingly good looking.

A wonderful interview on 60 minutes; is this an Australian version of the show? In any case, thanks for posting. :flowers:

She's a gem. Both these videos: nuanced thinking. Makes the listener think, and laugh.

Luckily for Meghan her past work is celebrated by Harry and KP. They shared a link to her Time article in addition to including the charity she supports. I was very impressed at how they stress Harry and Meghan as a couple and also support her accomplishments.

And it seems to me, that they see her and her past work and accomplishments as an asset, and are already putting her to work, which she loves.

I think people like to paint the current BRF with the brush of history and way past, bringing up all protocols, and how Meghan will be made to change. I've yet to see or read about these strict protocols though, and how she will be made to change.

And it seems to me, that they see her and her past work and accomplishments as an asset, and are already putting her to work, which she loves.

I think people like to paint the current BRF with the brush of history and way past, bringing up all protocols, and how Meghan will be made to change. I've yet to see or read about these strict protocols though, and how she will be made to change.

I think the media is stuck on protocol for Meghan only. I think the Queen while she is very traditional, we see that she is willing to change, hence traditions like the Queen's Speech.

Thank you, Cocoasneeze. :flowers: I hope you are right and all the talk (here on TRF) of Meghan needing to change in order to conform to ill-defined 'strict protocols' is just speculation and personal beliefs. I think this will be an on-going debate, however.

Last edited:
Dani, I haven't seen your post a before; I like your comments. Acknowledging the not so sunny aspects of this whole thing is acceptable to me. I've said it before that there are some red flags that I acknowledge but don't harp on.
I always find it funny when people say Meghan knows what she is getting into because they said the same about her predecessors. Saying anyone knows what such a life entails is a pipe dream; Kate may have had the most knowledge due to her decade long pre marriage period but I doubt even she knew how bad it would get.

I very much hope not. If this couple want to live as private people in the US then they should just make that decision now and stick with it. I think the British people will have limited patience for some sort of half-way royal scheme. They would certainly have to give up their taxpayer funded security, why should the British taxpayer pay to protect a family who prefer not to live in Britain full-time?

Meghan either commits to being a British royal, living in Britain and raising children in Britain or she should never have returned Harry's call when they first started. Some kind of muddled, hybrid melding of Meghan the US actress with Meghan the British royal is doomed to fail.

She must understand this and accept it. If she doesn't this marriage has no chance and I would hope that Charles, the Queen etc. will have told Harry that.

Xenia:
I think for me when I say Meghan knows what she is getting into is that she might have a good idea of the family and how they operate in going to events and things of that nature and I bet she researched that when things got serious with Harry and of course Harry would of also given her insight into the role he does and what she would be also doing in the future.........what she might not have know is just how cruel and hateful and mean the media and some family members would be. Even though she might not have had much contact with them over the years I doubt she seriously thought they would go to the lengths that they have gone and what they have said. Her father's side of the family is beyond hateful and cruel to her and even though they are adults they should know better and yet they have tried to destroy her very soul it seems to me.

I have know people like that, and it does hurt and has effected my outlook on life and how I view strangers for I am not that trusting soul I used to be. I believe that even though Meghan is a strong lady that with Harry's love and support that there are times when a loving person besides you really is great comfort to get through tough times. She has that and will do just fine going forth....?

Another thing we need to keep in mind is that even with Harry falling lower in the rank of succession to the Crown with the birth of the third Cambridge child, he will still very much be among the senior members of the royal family when it comes to serving as a Councilor of State until the Cambridge children come of age.

I do not see Harry and Meghan ever purchasing property or living for any extended amount of time outside of the UK. It just isn't a feasible option for them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom