The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Royals hug people all the time when on engagements. Children love to give Kate a hug.

To me thatís completely different from hugging staff at KP. The palace is a professional environment.
One only has to read "Not in Front of the Corgis: Secrets of Life Behind the Royal Curtains" by Brian Hoey to get a good glimpse of just how the staff see each other and operate while in service (the book is primarily focused on Buckingham Palace). Its not a hug fest type of place whatsoever. Even within the ranks of the staff there is the echelon of hierarchy. From what I've read, its even more formal and more stiff and upright than a normal place of business and people "know their place" in the scheme of things.

Its completely believable and right on the money when Zaira posted her thought of "I had an image popping in my head of Meghan grabbing a courtier in a hug at random and them spilling their tea, adjusting their monocle and exclaiming "I say!"

Hugging is just not done.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Well considering this all apparently happened in 2016 when she was the unawares girlfriend, I think it has all been sorted.

Now they just judge her for hugging children.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Some things you learn by making mistakes and then never make that mistake again.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Some things you learn by making mistakes and then never make that mistake again.
Learning by mistake is the best way to learn. I can tell you not to touch that hot stove until I'm blue in the face. However, after you get burned the first time, I bet you won't do it again. I hope that Tom Sr. has learned his lesson and won't pull another stunt like this. However, with 6 days left until the wedding, I think the Markle's are going to keep showing their out in public.

Whoops...wrong thread. Mods, please move to the Family Thread.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

The judgement comes when folks think their more royal then the royals. Just the other day, some journalist criticized Meghan for hugging children.

I’m sure Meghan don’t go around hugging KP staff all the time, so everyone should relax. She’s not going to force anyone into a hug either.

Also, the younger royals are different from the older generation of royals.

The best thing for people to do is let Meghan be Meghan. There’s no doubt she knows protocol and learning the ropes of being a senior royal. She’s going to do her job and be a respectable royal. But the easiest way to turn this whole Harry and Meghan relationship and marriage into pure hell is to try to transform Meghan into something she’s not. #LearnFromThePast

A.W. TOZER
Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Serene Highness

When there is outrage and critique about Meghan hugging people, I think she's doing wonderfully. Imagine to learn NOT to hug people...
Old 05-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Majesty

The fact Meghan was told it’s against protocol and she explained it away by being ‘American’ leads me to believe it’s not a love fest between the royals and the people who serve them.

Just accept that there’s a learning curve to being royal and many of Meghan’s American ways don’t translate well to Palace life.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Serene Highness

We don't know she was told it was against protocol, and who told her and what, though.

Added, that this happened at a time no one was supposed to tell her anything about protocol, even, it happened before they were engaged.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:24 PM
Serene Highness

So let me get this straight, because Meghan hugged a security guard when she first started up with Harry, we are assuming she is STILL doing that? Come on.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The fact Meghan was told it’s against protocol and she explained it away by being ‘American’ leads me to believe it’s not a love fest between the royals are the people who serve them.

Just accept that there’s a learning curve to being royal and many of Meghan’s American ways don’t translate well to Palace life.
No one is saying it’s always a love fest between royals and all of their staff. I’m sure they have disagreements at times. To expect anything different about any of them is unrealistic. Again, if hugging, which as far as we know didn’t make anyone involved in the hug uncomfortable, is the biggest problem, she’s doing pretty well.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
So let me get this straight, because Meghan hugged a security guard when she first started up with Harry, we are assuming she is STILL doing that? Come on.
Yep.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Iíve hugged bosses before and they hugged me too. Now granted we donít do that everyday, but there are times when itís ok and not unprofessional. If both people are comfortable with it. I donít see the problem.

And Meghanís situation is even less than that as sheís not their boss.
I agree - I've been a manager since I finished my postdoctorate and now I'm a Sr Director. I hug and I've been hugged - especially when we are showing jubilation or having a laugh.

Some workplaces are less formal - waay less formal. Our CEO wears shorts, lol.

Sometimes I think some people who write these articles do them to try to keep newbies like Meghan "in their place".
Old 05-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Majesty

Some workplaces are less formal, that’s true. Royal palaces in Britain don’t fall into that category though.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:50 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps the security guard was happy with Meghan, Harry's then girlfriend hugging them, perhaps to show appreciation. Meghan wasn't in a working situation there then, she was simply visiting her boyfriend.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:11 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The fact Meghan was told itís against protocol and she explained it away by being ĎAmericaní leads me to believe itís not a love fest between the royals and the people who serve them.

Just accept that thereís a learning curve to being royal and many of Meghanís American ways donít translate well to Palace life.
The only thing I really have a problem with is Meghan explaining it away by claiming "she is American", as hugging in the workplace or hugging staff are definitely not something that Americans routinely do.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The only thing I really have a problem with is Meghan explaining it away by claiming "she is American", as hugging in the workplace or hugging staff are definitely not something that Americans routinely do.
I'm still trying to figure out how we know she actually said this? It's still just "sources" claiming this is happening.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

The "source" is Bonnie Hammer (chairman of NBC Universal). She said this is a story that Meghan told her. Now could she be lying? Sure. But I just don't think the head of a network would make up a story about Meghan. Doing so would risk ruining her reputation.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
The "source" is Bonnie Hammer (chairman of NBC Universal). She said this is a story that Meghan told her. Now could she be lying? Sure. But I just don't think the head of a network would make up a story about Meghan. Doing so would risk ruining her reputation.
Hammer is also someone who was/is very close to Meghan and is supposedly going to the wedding.

The story is probably true, but afaik, this was very early in the relationship and not recently. Now, these folks are her "employees" so to speak so I can absolutely see her putting up more professional distance now.

Funnily enough, I was at a conference this weekend week for folks in my area of work. The Americans definitely hugged their peers at other organizations they have not seen for a bit or just as a greeting. The "Oh my gosh how good to see you!" hug. Those from other countries were more circumspect.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Good Lord Huggate 2018!

Let's call off the wedding..send her to the Tower....shame her to death!

So Meghan is huggy and others are not. Okay...I am sure she will clamp down on the hugginess...yes it's true that some don't care for it...all about personal space and all that...and in the work place it is not something that is encouraged as it can cause some discomfort. Some Americans (not all) tend to hug others when you feel personally touched by something or has Zaira explained when you see someone you haven't seen a bit. Even cold hearted Zonk has been known to give a hug or two. I did to a couple of people who were receptive and someone who was uncomfortable. The next time, the uncomfortable person didn't get a hug. I wasn't hurt by her not feeling my hug...its her thing...and I respect it. And she wasn't offended when she didn't get one the next time. I am sure if it has been expressed that some are not comfortable with hugs and its not the thing to do..she will clamp down.

Hopefully now she has been advised that this is not the norm and we can all move on.

Hopefully.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yeah, all this happened when she and Harry were dating, so we have no idea if this is something she's still doing. I imagine once she was told that it wasn't protocol, she stopped.

And hugging is definitely not an American thing (I hate being hugged by people that aren't family) and definitely not something a boss, or someone in a position of power should be doing in the workplace.