The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:31 PM
Courtier

Luckily for Meghan her past work is celebrated by Harry and KP. They shared a link to her Time article in addition to including the charity she supports. I was very impressed at how they stress Harry and Meghan as a couple and also support her accomplishments.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I think Harry has already given indications that he expects the institution of monarchy to shift. Recall his comments about modernizing the monarchy a couple of years ago, which seemed a bit cheeky at the time? He was dating Meghan when he said them, I do believe, not so?

So maybe it won't be a one-way-street forever. Maybe Harry has promised something for down the line (with Charles and William being agreeable). They being able to live in the US for part of the year, and raise their children internationally, might be one such promise. Pure speculation, of course, but I suggest it because I don't believe Meghan is the type of person to willingly have a cage door shut after her, even for a gilded cage.

It's possible that Harry views Meghan as much as his liberator as lover. She brings to him possibilities. I hope so. We'll see.
Hmm, interesting speculations but Charles will not be able to unilaterally decide all things as King. The British government has a say in some aspects as well.
RPOs having to live overseas to protect the King's son, daughter-in-law and possible grandchildren would raise issues.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
FYI, I think Greer had red hair when she was younger.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...minist-lioness
Ah, yes, when she said that which is so very hard for some to hear: that trans women are an example of mysogyny when a man is lauded for being a better woman than a woman. (This was when Catelyn Jenner was on the cover of magazines and was about to be awarded some female award for Glamour Woman of the Year). Her insights are always incisive and (yes) uncomfortable. But damn the torpedoes she will say what she thinks.

BTW apropos the red hair, she was a knock-out as a young woman. Really amazingly good looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry View Post
A wonderful interview on 60 minutes; is this an Australian version of the show? In any case, thanks for posting.
She's a gem. Both these videos: nuanced thinking. Makes the listener think, and laugh.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowVera View Post
Luckily for Meghan her past work is celebrated by Harry and KP. They shared a link to her Time article in addition to including the charity she supports. I was very impressed at how they stress Harry and Meghan as a couple and also support her accomplishments.
And it seems to me, that they see her and her past work and accomplishments as an asset, and are already putting her to work, which she loves.

I think people like to paint the current BRF with the brush of history and way past, bringing up all protocols, and how Meghan will be made to change. I've yet to see or read about these strict protocols though, and how she will be made to change.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post
And it seems to me, that they see her and her past work and accomplishments as an asset, and are already putting her to work, which she loves.

I think people like to paint the current BRF with the brush of history and way past, bringing up all protocols, and how Meghan will be made to change. I've yet to see or read about these strict protocols though, and how she will be made to change.
I think the media is stuck on protocol for Meghan only. I think the Queen while she is very traditional, we see that she is willing to change, hence traditions like the Queen's Speech.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoasneeze View Post

Thank you, Cocoasneeze. I hope you are right and all the talk (here on TRF) of Meghan needing to change in order to conform to ill-defined 'strict protocols' is just speculation and personal beliefs. I think this will be an on-going debate, however.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Dani, I haven't seen your post a before; I like your comments. Acknowledging the not so sunny aspects of this whole thing is acceptable to me. I've said it before that there are some red flags that I acknowledge but don't harp on.
I always find it funny when people say Meghan knows what she is getting into because they said the same about her predecessors. Saying anyone knows what such a life entails is a pipe dream; Kate may have had the most knowledge due to her decade long pre marriage period but I doubt even she knew how bad it would get.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:32 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

So maybe it won't be a one-way-street forever. Maybe Harry has promised something for down the line (with Charles and William being agreeable). They being able to live in the US for part of the year, and raise their children internationally, might be one such promise. Pure speculation, of course, but I suggest it because I don't believe Meghan is the type of person to willingly have a cage door shut after her, even for a gilded cage.

I very much hope not. If this couple want to live as private people in the US then they should just make that decision now and stick with it. I think the British people will have limited patience for some sort of half-way royal scheme. They would certainly have to give up their taxpayer funded security, why should the British taxpayer pay to protect a family who prefer not to live in Britain full-time?

Meghan either commits to being a British royal, living in Britain and raising children in Britain or she should never have returned Harry's call when they first started. Some kind of muddled, hybrid melding of Meghan the US actress with Meghan the British royal is doomed to fail.

She must understand this and accept it. If she doesn't this marriage has no chance and I would hope that Charles, the Queen etc. will have told Harry that.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:39 AM
Royal Highness

Xenia:
I think for me when I say Meghan knows what she is getting into is that she might have a good idea of the family and how they operate in going to events and things of that nature and I bet she researched that when things got serious with Harry and of course Harry would of also given her insight into the role he does and what she would be also doing in the future.........what she might not have know is just how cruel and hateful and mean the media and some family members would be. Even though she might not have had much contact with them over the years I doubt she seriously thought they would go to the lengths that they have gone and what they have said. Her father's side of the family is beyond hateful and cruel to her and even though they are adults they should know better and yet they have tried to destroy her very soul it seems to me.

I have know people like that, and it does hurt and has effected my outlook on life and how I view strangers for I am not that trusting soul I used to be. I believe that even though Meghan is a strong lady that with Harry's love and support that there are times when a loving person besides you really is great comfort to get through tough times. She has that and will do just fine going forth....
Old 04-16-2018, 02:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Another thing we need to keep in mind is that even with Harry falling lower in the rank of succession to the Crown with the birth of the third Cambridge child, he will still very much be among the senior members of the royal family when it comes to serving as a Councilor of State until the Cambridge children come of age.

I do not see Harry and Meghan ever purchasing property or living for any extended amount of time outside of the UK. It just isn't a feasible option for them at all.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I am curious: often it is suggested that Harry and Meghan may have 'a place' somewhere in Africa at some point and this suggestion is greeted with head-nods. There seems to be general agreement that this is a reasonable possibility. No one presents objections because (after all) Harry is 'connected' to Africa.

YET any suggestion that the couple may have a similar 'place' in the US and there is at once mention of prohibitive security costs and a problem with them not living 24/7 in England. Hmmm....can someone explain/comment regarding the difference in reaction? I find it strange but absolutely predictable.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:58 AM
Royal Highness

I think the operative word here is...*Living* for I sure hope that Meghan and Harry do not live in America at all. Why you wonder....it is not feasible to the British people to pay them to live in another country and they have no reason to live here for there is no charities that they are involved with that are located in the US that I am aware of. Just because Meghan is an American and she is willing to become a British citizen tells me that she made her choice when she accepted Harry's proposal of marriage.

Now it would be a different story if there was something like a *vacation* house and that is something I see them doing in Africa as that is where there are charities they are both would be involved in and as we know Harry has work over there for charities........The actual living in a home would be in England for Harry is a senior member of the British Royal Family, that in of itself is reason enough to live in England.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:12 AM
Commoner

"Her Majesty The Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, has appointed Prince Harry as a Commonwealth Youth Ambassador."

via Kensington Palace Twitter

I think that means lots of travel across the Commonwealth for Harry and Meghan.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Harry and Meghan could very well have vacation chalets, cabins, yurts or thatched huts anywhere in the world they wanted to have them for their own "getaways" from the busy royal lives they are going to lead. However, they will never, in the foreseeable future, be actually "in residence" anywhere outside of the UK.

The stipulations of being a Councilor of State (which Harry is and will be until the Cambridge children reach their majority) is that they must be at least 21 years old (except the heir-apparent or presumptive, who need only be 18 years old), they must be domiciled in Britain, and they must be a British subject.

I think that clears it up nicely.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
... Meghan either commits to being a British royal, living in Britain and raising children in Britain or she should never have returned Harry's call when they first started. Some kind of muddled, hybrid melding of Meghan the US actress with Meghan the British royal is doomed to fail.

She must understand this and accept it. If she doesn't this marriage has no chance and I would hope that Charles, the Queen etc. will have told Harry that.
LOL at the admonishing tone directed toward Meghan regarding what she must accept and what the Brits will not stand for from her and Harry. Such overweening responses to speculative comments by people who are not Meghan nor Harry are so amusing.

Otherwise, I completely agree with many of the concerns expressed regarding the difficulties of marriage, coupled with the challenges of life in the royal fishbowl. But I also agree with the observation that Meghan is smart, capable, very much in love, and that she and Harry have long since discussed all manner of things we will never be privy to. It occurs to me that they meant what they said in the engagement interview. Prince Harry: "We make a great team and we know it. Meghan will be amazing." Meghan: "I've ticked off that box [acting career success]. This is a new chapter." Harry: "It's a new challenge. There's a lot to do."

I also have never forgotten that Meghan once said pre-Harry that she likes to "exceed expectations," and that she's "endlessly ambitious." Those are positive qualities to possess btw. If you know what you want and have a good idea of where you want to be and work hard at developing a roadmap, while being prepared for obstacles along the way, and have enough gumption and chutzpah to never give up, success is likely on your horizon.

We are all on the outside looking in, speculating, guessing and surmizing. The proof will be in the pudding of the royal wedding aftermath. It will all be entertaining to watch, but none of us are invited, especially not to the after-receptions nor to any Palace private quarters. Meanwhile, everything coming from the media, from former tattling acquaintances, regrettable relations, and starry-eyed or side-eyeing observers is probably best taken with huge grains of salt.

It strikes me that Meghan is happy and more than willing to take on the demanding challenges that come with some enviable royal perks. Just as Meghan has never been poverty-stricken, I doubt that she's ever been bored either. She's a go-getter, a giver, an achiever, and someone who enjoys living life to its fullest.

As someone said earlier, H&M seem almost unbelievably well-matched. Harry said, "The stars aligned when we met." Many psychics, astrologers, and tarot readers agree. Harry and Meghan seem made for each other, although of course the challenges ahead of them will not be easy. Nothing worthwhile ever is.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Meghan's character on Suits recently had the line "It'll be the adventure of a lifetime."

I think that Meghan may feel that way about her new life as Harry's wife as well. I think she's entering into this new chapter of her life with zest.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Serene Highness

Prince Harry reveals Meghan Markle will take on Commonwealth role

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...onwealth-role/
Old 04-16-2018, 07:06 AM
Majesty

'The woman I am about to marry..' I bet Harry loved saying those words, and knowing that he will have someone by his side just as dedicated to trying to make a difference! Looks like there will be quite a bit of travelling in future years.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post

I think the operative word here is...*Living* for I sure hope that Meghan and Harry do not live in America at all. Why you wonder....it is not feasible to the British people to pay them to live in another country and they have no reason to live here for there is no charities that they are involved with that are located in the US that I am aware of. Just because Meghan is an American and she is willing to become a British citizen tells me that she made her choice when she accepted Harry's proposal of marriage.

Now it would be a different story if there was something like a *vacation* house and that is something I see them doing in Africa as that is where there are charities they are both would be involved in and as we know Harry has work over there for charities........The actual living in a home would be in England for Harry is a senior member of the British Royal Family, that in of itself is reason enough to live in England.
The further away Meghan is from the Royal base (UK) the better for some people. That’s how I read it in certain quarters anyway. H&M are here to stay 🇬🇧 ...Obviously there will be a lot of traveling and stuff (How nice) ....But the UK is and will remain the royal couple’s home and base
Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its all coming together and falling into place. Everything seems to be in balance. Harry has stepped into his public role as a full time working senior royal on one hand and his path forward seems to be clearly defined as Harry has realized just what he wants to do with with the platforms he has been able to access and get involved in. On the other hand, its also something that he will not have to do alone but with a partner that is as enthusiastic as he is to make a difference.

This kind of a partnership doesn't happen often and mesh public and private lives together happily and unified. I now am absolutely sure that when Meghan enters St. George's Chapel on May 19th, she will be the *only* person that Harry sees and Harry the *only* person Meghan sees. They're that kind of a couple.

I think I better stock up on tissues. I normally do not cry at weddings but I'm going to be prepared to be touched emotionally at Harry and Meghan's.