Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for Meghan's pronunciation of aunt. I think she could've easily picked some of Harry's pronunciation, the word came up talking about his aunts, so she could've even unconsciously picked it on that subject. Accents and dialects and pronunciations aren't iron clad, they change for every person all the time depending of their logistics. I'm thinking, that Meghan will pick a lot more British pronouncing of words, as she's in other ways in a learning mode any way, learning about UK, for the citizenship tests, about the firm, patronages, people etc. She'll easily pick up accents and words too.

That's so true. When I moved from Canada to South Carolina, I maintained my Canadian accent and certain words and phrases - still do. In the same token, I learned new words and phrases. After 16 years living here, I find that I use old and new words/phrases in my daily life. One thing I refuse to use/learn - that southern accent/drawl. Sorry to offend those folks that love their southern drawl/accent but it's not me :) This Canadian girl (from St. Catharines, Ontario) will never be a southern lady :) And I have always pronounced it AUNTS (ahwnts).

As to leaving/re-homing dogs, when I moved down here, I had to re-home both of my dogs who I raised from 6 - 8 weeks old (Strider - a lab/Rhodesian ridgeback mix and Gandalf - a lab/husky mix) to good friends as I couldn't take them with me - for various reasons. I miss them A LOT and even today I still cry when I see pictures of them. They were 8 and 7 years old when I left them and sadly I've lost touch with my friends (moving/life changes/deploying) so I have to assume my babies have passed on. :sad:

Last edited:
Or he might be a conservative dog who doesn't seem likely to settle in a new home, far away.. Perhaps he hasn't taken to harry, or has been unhappy at other times if he has had to travel. And of course if he is ill, the best thing to do is to find him a loving home nearby with friends, where he wotn have so much stress. Really, Meg woud have been wiser not to talk about her dogs! I cant remember if the interviewer brought it up...

She did. Meghan was asked directly about her dogs when the corgis came up.

Another possibility is that Bogart can have some type of terrier mix in him. It wouldn't have been allowed in UK. Vets have, at times, identify dogs as mutt and they can be exported to a different country with their owners. However, they might have decided it's best to do a genetic breed test so that it doesn't become an issue in the future given she's not just marrying Joe Schmo. If he is a mix with terrier, and by looks of it, it's possible, by law he shouldn't be.

Regarding her pronunciation of aunt, I'm surprised nobody's yet pointed out that through much of the US, an awful large portion of the African-American community says it [ont]. It's not universal, but probably the pronunciation I hear most from my black friends. My mixed-race college roommate used to tease me (in a friendly way) for saying [ant].

I found it interesting that Meghan pronounced 'aunts' (as in Harry's aunts) in the English way, rather that the American pronunciation 'ants'.

While it's also regional - it's kind of a common "joke" in the US that black people say "aunt" and white people say "ant". I just saw a funny skit about this the other day, mentioned it to my mother, who laughed.

Given that Meghan was raised by her black mother - it may simply be a case of that. I don't know any black people who say "ant", though I'm sure there are some. I think the common assumption is that black people say "aunt".

Also - there were some posts that asked forever ago what Meghan's natural hair texture was. I found an article that shows that she has natural 3B hair (I have the same texture, so that was exciting to see for no reason other than I'm geeking out that someone with my texture hair will be in the BRF - I know it's silly but I never thought that would happen)...

https://www.popsugar.com/beauty/Meghan-Markle-Curly-Hair-Pictures-44311021

The author wants her to wear it natural to the wedding - I don't see that happening but it would be so nice one day soon to see her natural hair. Not sure if Meghan blows it straight or has a relaxer though. If the latter, she'd have to stop relaxing first and then big chop to show off her natural texture.

Yea, I don't think we are going to see more curls for the wedding than what we've seen so far. :lol: Meghan seems to prefer the blow out look. I think she'll do something different for the wedding obviously, but I highly doubt it'll be full curls.

:previous: I can't remember ever going to a wedding where the bride had her hair au naturel. Some were blow-waved but if the bride was wearing a veil the hair then there were hairpins and heavy-duty hairspray on their updos.

While it's also regional - it's kind of a common "joke" in the US that black people say "aunt" and white people say "ant". I just saw a funny skit about this the other day, mentioned it to my mother, who laughed.

Given that Meghan was raised by her black mother - it may simply be a case of that. I don't know any black people who say "ant", though I'm sure there are some. I think the common assumption is that black people say "aunt".

I have never heard that. :ermm: To me the 'ont' is the norm, and 'ant' is the outlier. I wonder if it has something to do with French and English. It was pointed out to me once that the way we say some words in the U.S. has to do with whether French or English was the language influencing a region. Example of that would be the word 'foyer', said Foy-yer (English) or Foy-yay (French). Same with the word 'envelope', said en-ve-lope (English) or on-ve-lope (French).

Reading the accompanying article, apparently, this woman is aiming for "Meghan's Jessica Hay, only malicious". I wonder how much she made for that interview and all of those photos.

Against my better judgement I read that article. Some friend! How awful to sell out your friend of supposedly 30 years for a few dollars.

Reading the accompanying article, apparently, this woman is aiming for "Meghan's Jessica Hay, only malicious". I wonder how much she made for that interview and all of those photos.

It's interesting she had that take whereas people like Benita Litt and Lindsay Jill Roth, who have been friends with Meghan since before Suits, are still so close to her. And the part about Trevor made me quite uncomfortable reading it TBH. I don't know what kind of friend would want to pry so much if the person getting a divorce doesn't want to talk about and then goes to their ex to try to find out what happened. And she seems to label friends as her family too easily. Overall, I get a sense of jealousy and bitterness.

It's interesting she had that take whereas people like Benita Litt and Lindsay Jill Roth, who have been friends with Meghan since before Suits, are still so close to her. And the part about Trevor made me quite uncomfortable reading it TBH. I don't know what kind of friend would want to pry so much if the person getting a divorce doesn't want to talk about and then goes to their ex to try to find out what happened. And she seems to label friends as her family too easily. Overall, I get a sense of jealousy and bitterness.

Yes!,I didn't want to say it but I felt that as well. Especially how she spoke about Trevor. Something just sent up red flags.

This woman is awful. Her comments about Trevor are highly suspect as well. Poor Meghan.

This woman is awful. Her comments about Trevor are highly suspect as well. Poor Meghan.

She sounds like one of those "friends" you have to be careful introducing your boyfriend to. You know the ones who are soooo happy for you, but secretly will tell anyone who will listen how you don't really deserve him. Sorry, something about this so called friend rubbed me wrong.

I am sure Meghan shares her part of the blame for whatever ended her first marriage. But unless this chick was living in her house she doesn't really know what happened.

She sounds like one of those "friends" you have to be careful introducing your boyfriend to. You know the ones who are soooo happy for you, but secretly will tell anyone who will listen how you don't really deserve him. Sorry, something about this so called friend rubbed me wrong.

I am sure Meghan shares her part of the blame for whatever ended her first marriage. But unless this chick was living in her house she doesn't really know what happened.

I'm sure that Harry will be more than happy to assist Meghan in developing her "circle of trust". These kind of fly by night friends that are cropping up have been a royal pain in the butt for Harry and William all their lives.

I think Meghan is at the age and maturity, as well as having a somewhat famous career, she is familiar with this kind of thing. I have no doubt she knows who her real friends are :flowers: Until now, and these pictures coming out, I hadn't even heard of this friend.

She seems like one of those 'school friends' who you lose contact with after school and you connect back up with on social media. You may see them time to time, but not 'bff' quality as portrayed in the DM.

Daily Mail has fifty photos from Meghan's friend -
Meghan Markle seen in 50 rare and candid photographs | Daily Mail Online
Wishing them well. Hope the restrictions and limitations of the Royal way of life don't bore Meghan after a few years.

Speaking of general random conversations about the engagement, it came up today while I was getting a manicure, and the manicurist said that she hoped Meghan got an air-tight pre-nup. Oh! :ohmy: It hadn't even crossed my mind but I realized she had a point, especially given that Meghan is entering the marriage with considerable personal wealth.

But the manicurist wasn't thinking about money, rather the children. The manicurist assumes there will be a divorce. She feels that no way will Meghan be able to sustain the constraints of the BRF over the long haul (and tbh that has crossed my mind, too). Anyway, her point was that a pre-nup was necessary for custody of the children in event of a divorce.

The upshot of the conversation was that we both figured that Meghan will eventually want to live in Los Angeles, and Harry will have to come along if he wants his family intact. ;) That was the jist.

So saying, I really think Meghan needs to keep dual citizenship. The longer her British citizenship is strung out the better. Give it three to five years, I say. :cool:

Wow only engaged five days, and already giving them 3 years of marriage :ohmy:

The reality is, even IF something did go down, they wont be moving to LA, not just Harry. Meghan wont be taking royal grandchildren to live in the US. And Harry has a full time job, one that requires him to be in the UK to work, being a royal. I guess if she divorced, Meghan could 'quit', Harry cant.

Glad to know people are willing to give her the slightest chance, guess more then a snowball's chance in hades. You did give her a whole three years.

Wow only engaged five days, and already giving them 3 years of marriage :ohmy:

The reality is, even IF something did go down, they wont be moving to LA, not just Harry. Meghan wont be taking royal grandchildren to live in the US. And Harry has a full time job, one that requires him to be in the UK to work, being a royal. I guess if she divorced, Meghan could 'quit', Harry cant.

Glad to know people are willing to give her the slightest chance, guess more then a snowball's chance in hades. You did give her a whole three years.

Ha! :flowers: It was a casual conversation between strangers. It's been remarked that no one/everyone (take your pick) in the U.S. is engrossed with this couple. I just found the conversation interesting. In this instance there is a bit of a jaded attitude about it all. The phrase 'soap opera' was used, in fact. A lot of laughter among the manicurists. What can I say? Its the world. There you go. It's really fluffy stuff when you consider 'the real world' coming to hit everyone between the yes. Just saying.

Aren't people getting ahead of themselves with any divorce talk? Quite frankly, I think people are making a lot of assumptions that doesn't seem to be consistent with the couple's personalities and goals whenever they talk about potential problems.

Also, prenup is not used very often in UK and doesn't hold up as well either. I'm sure the royal children's custody aren't as simple as regular children. As they are in line to the throne, I'm sure the monarch will be involved in some way.

I don't know why anyone would even go there after what we've seen this week when the couple finally came forward with the engagement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! :flowers: It was a casual conversation between strangers. It's been remarked that no one/everyone (take your pick) in the U.S. is engrossed with this couple. I just found the conversation interesting. In this instance there is a bit of a jaded attitude about it all. The phrase 'soap opera' was used, in fact. A lot of laughter among the manicurists. What can I say? Its the world. There you go. It's really fluffy stuff when you consider 'the real world' coming to hit everyone between the yes. Just saying.

I wasn't commenting on the manicurists cynical outlook. Gossip is always around a salon :flowers:

I was more addressing Your slightly cynical comments about the future of their marriage before it starts.

From this comment, doesn't seem only the manicurists are a bit jaded on the marriage

So saying, I really think Meghan needs to keep dual citizenship. The longer her British citizenship is strung out the better. Give it three to five years, I say.

Speaking of general random conversations about the engagement, it came up today while I was getting a manicure, and the manicurist said that she hoped Meghan got an air-tight pre-nup. Oh! :ohmy: It hadn't even crossed my mind but I realized she had a point, especially given that Meghan is entering the marriage with considerable personal wealth.

But the manicurist wasn't thinking about money, rather the children. The manicurist assumes there will be a divorce. She feels that no way will Meghan be able to sustain the constraints of the BRF over the long haul (and tbh that has crossed my mind, too). Anyway, her point was that a pre-nup was necessary for custody of the children in event of a divorce.

The upshot of the conversation was that we both figured that Meghan will eventually want to live in Los Angeles, and Harry will have to come along if he wants his family intact. ;) That was the jist.

So saying, I really think Meghan needs to keep dual citizenship. The longer her British citizenship is strung out the better. Give it three to five years, I say. :cool:

I actually saw an article about a pre-nup (can't remember the publication). The consensus was, there wouldn't be one. Traditionally the royals don't do pre-nups. The point was also made that in the UK, pre-nups aren't as widely used even among the general population. They are much more common in America. As for kids and custody, I'm not sure if Meghan could take the kids out of the UK. And honestly that's true of any divorce. It's hard for one parent to just pick up and move their kids away from the other parent out of the country. So I don't think that would even be on the table. On the citizenship thing, I guess, if the worst happened and she had given up her US citizenship, she could go through the process of reapplying. We'd take her back! LOL! Anyyway, this is all hypothetical, and I'm sure Meghan has thought through all of the possible scenarios. Part of making big life changing decisions is thinking through the possible issues, even the unpleasant ones. It isn't pleasant, but it's what adults do. She's a smart woman and I'm sure she has done so. I know it's not romantic to talk about, but a marriage is in part a business deal.

Aren't people getting ahead of themselves with any divorce talk? Quite frankly, I think people are making a lot of assumptions that doesn't seem to be consistent with the couple's personalities and goals whenever they talk about potential problems.

Also, prenup is not used very often in UK and doesn't hold up as well either. I'm sure the royal children's custody aren't as simple as regular children. As they are in line to the throne, I'm sure the monarch will be involved in some way.

I don't know why anyone would even go there after what we've seen this week when the couple finally came forward with the engagement.

Didn't mean to upset. I'm sure I didn't. ;) It is just how people see weddings like this. That's what I was trying to show. It's all seen as a soap opera, tabloid stuff, for many. Fluffy segments on the morning news. The context for my sharing this is the previous conversation (maybe not on this thread? oops!) regarding how much this engagement is interesting for people in the U.S. My point is the interest is a bit more cynical and jaded with a canny eye towards the cold realties than one might otherwise think. I find that interesting.

For myself, I am thrilled and eager for the marriage for all the reasons we chortle about here. :flowers: I am a fan, but....I also harbor questions (maybe even fears for Meghan) about the situation as it goes forward. Can't deny that.

How wonderful to become a Princess, (or Duchess), Lady Nimue.

No cooking, no cleaning, no budgeting.

Spend your days in grand rooms.

Dress up and take an interest in people.

But after a few times of doing the yearly Royal schedule - what then?

Gwen Robyns lifted the lid a bit on Grace Kelly's life as a Princess in one of her books.

Gwen did the normal thing and sat down at the table while waiting for Prince Rainier to arrive for a private family lunch.

Then she noticed Grace and the children were still standing around.

They couldn't sit until Ranier had taken his seat.

A private lunch. A family lunch. Lunch day in and day out.

A Royal life is no more free than an ordinary life.

Yes, great perks - clothes, jewels, parties, travel.

After a certain age, only the travel is interesting.

If boredom becomes a problem, most people with any get up and go, change something.

How does that work when your role is more important than your individual needs.

How wonderful to become a Princess, (or Duchess), Lady Nimue.

Sun Lion, I am puzzled by your post. :sad: Could you be more direct? ;)

I have to tell you I do not view the life Meghan is taking on as in any way something I envy. Just watching the video of her doing the event had me gnarly. Just would not be my thing. It amazes me that it is something she's decided she will be happy doing. More power to her, but she has it in her to have been so much more imo.

Dress up and take an interest in people.

Hmmm.....I've worked in charity, handled the talent. To each his own.

But after a few times of doing the yearly Royal schedule - what then?

Exactly so. :huh:

Gwen Robyns lifted the lid a bit on Grace Kelly's life as a Princess in one of her books. Gwen did the normal thing and sat down at the table while waiting for Prince Rainier to arrive for a private family lunch. Then she noticed Grace and the children were still standing around. They couldn't sit until Ranier had taken his seat. A private lunch. A family lunch. Lunch day in and day out.

Fascinating. :ermm: Urgh! Had no idea. But that was another time, too.

A Royal life is no more free than an ordinary life.

I would disagree. One has one's career. One makes one's own decisions about staying with it in whatever capacity. One can walk away. Take a year off if one has the ability to do so. Royal life is a ball and chain. I'd never choose it. :cool: Just me.

Yes, great perks - clothes, jewels, parties, travel.

Those things can be had without the royal aspect. And on one's own terms, at that. :flowers:

After a certain age, only the travel is interesting.

Even that may become wearying. Easily. ;)

If boredom becomes a problem, most people with any get up and go, change something. How does that work when your role is more important than your individual needs.

You've said it in a nutshell. :flowers:

I'm going to enjoy all the fluffiness but that a woman like Meghan has opted for this kind of servitude (for life) I find puzzling. That there are actually people who think Meghan is using Harry is hard to fathom.

Fact is, a woman like Cressida would have been better suited imo. She's British, and bred to this kind of thing. She's a patriot.

Meghan? As good-hearted and kind and well-meaning and filled with stars in her eyes (and in love) as she is at this moment, I don't see it lasting. I think they both intend for it to last (no question in my mind that they are both utterly sincere). I just don't think it can really endure UNLESS Harry and Meghan are allowed far greater leeway with their life path than is currently thought (at least on this chat site) allowable. :cool: Howzat for a response?

Last edited:

Now that the engagement has been announced, should we be setting up a thread to discuss a potential divorce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom