Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer there were several photos in the Daily Fail of Meghan taking Bogart to his veterinarian appointments. My hunch is that poor Bogie is not in the best of health, and a move to a new climate and country followed by six months in quarantine would be too much for him.:sad:

If Meghan is anything like me, being separated from her pet must be breaking her heart but she has the comfort of knowing that he is not stressed and is being cared for.

The U.K. no longer has quarantine requirements- hasn’t had them for several years now- unless for super extreme cases, and even than it’s not 6 months (i son’t think it even was before, maybe a long, long, time ago). There is a protocol for importing pets into the U.K., and it is a super easy one when one comes from a commonwealth country. (Or the EU or the USA).
He would have had to have been truly, seriously sick, with a contagious illness, to not be importable at all!. There’s a couple of illnesses I can think of and trust me if he had those he would be dead already or about to the die very soon he would have been better off being put down.

Look I understand not wanting to relocate with a sick pet- I just did that myself relocating with a cancer sick cat, I had no choice or we would have stayed in the US longer.
I do think, that if this was a human child there would be people with those large forks things (the ones you see mobs in movies carry) outside of the palace.

So yes, I think providing a proper explanation during the interview “sadly I had to make the hard decision of rehoming bogart, he has (enter health issue name) and the vet professional advice was that he will likely won’t survive the stress of the flight and the move.

Thing is having knowledge about relocating with pets, and knowing this woman obviously have means (as she flew to the U.K. again and again for the last year, which probably cost her a lot of money) she could have found a way. Such as a charter jet, where bogart would not have had to be in a closed cage for the duration of the flight, quarantine is not needed - as she is coming from Canada- She could have gone with him on the plane, which would have reduced his stress. Could have brought a vet (there are companies who specialize in relocating pets, and have vets who can travel with the pet. I’ve seen owners of very sick pets go that route, and not all of them have the same means as Meghan does).

Like someone said: she chose to put the dogs on a public stage when she posted pictures of them and talked of them. She could have made the decision to avoid the dogs question- because I am sure they vetted the questions before hand- by asking it not be asked about them.
She aloowed the question to be asked, and provided a lacking answer, so lacking they had to dispatch the KP pr team to provide an answer.

Last edited:
:previous: Dogs are a lot like humans, they have personalities. They don't just get along with everyone, human or dog. He may get on greatly with Lupo, or maybe he will have a playdate with Camilla's dogs. But Meghan definitely needs to keep an eye on him. Depression is a concern with dogs. Going to Nottingham may not be a full time job but it will be full days gone. It will be an adjustment to the puppy, being away from not only her, but his usual dog walker, and his companion dog. He isn't used to being alone in the home, being the only pet.
I’m sure Meghan, as a long time dog owner, understands she needs to pay extra attention to Guy. As she has already said in the interview, he has been in U.K. for awhile now and is adjusting well. Camilla Tominey in her reporting this pst Sunday mentioned that her dog’s form 3 was filled out early in the summer. So it’s safe to assume Guy has probably spent some one on one boys time with Harry while Meghan was filming and traveling between London and Toronto.

The U.K. no longer has quarantine requirements- hasn’t had them for several years now. There is a protocol for importing pets into the U.K., and it is a super easy one when one comes from a commonwealth country. (Or the EU or the USA)

Look I understand not wanting to relocate with a sick pet- I just did that myself relocating with a cancer sick cat, I had no choice or we would have stayed in the US longer.
I do think, that if this was a human child there would be people with those large forks things (the ones you see mobs in movies carry) outside of the palace.

So yes, I think providing a proper explanation during the interview “sadly I had to make the hard decision of rehoming bogart, he has (enter health issue name) and the vet professional advice was that he will likely won’t survive the stress of the flight and the move.

Thing is having knowledge about relocating with pets, and knowing this woman obviously have means (as she flew to the U.K. again and again for the last year, which probably cost her a lot of money) she could have found a way. Such as a charter jet, where bogart would not have had to be in a closed cage for the duration of the flight, quarantine is not needed - as she is coming from Canada- She could have gone with him on the plane, which would have reduced his stress. Could have brought a vet (there are companies who specialize in relocating pets, and have vets who can travel with the pet. I’ve seen owners of very sick pets go that route, and not all of them have the same means as Meghan does).

Like someone said: she chose to put the dogs on a public stage when she posted pictures of them and talked of them. She could have made the decision to avoid the dogs question- because I am sure they vetted the questions before hand- by asking it not be asked about them.
She aloowed the question to be asked, and provided a lacking answer, so lacking they had to dispatch the KP pr team to provide an answer.
Just because she shared some information with us doesn’t mean it gives the public the right to interrogate her on sensitive and emotional matter such as this. She gave a brief answer when asked directly about her dogs and wish to move ion from the topic. Jason Knauf gave a slight more clarification This afternoon that Meghan meant it was a permenant situation since there were confusion from her comment about if it’s just for now or for good.

And how deeply should answer be? Should she be giving us details of Bogart’s medical condition? Have you thought maybe this is still a sore subject for her even though it’s the best decision for him? Should she give us the name of the person that took Bogart in, so people can go do a home check and make sure she picked a good family? Have you thought maybe she’d like to protect the privacy of friends who took Bogart in? Where is the line drawn? Did we go ask the Queen’s spokesperson when one her Corgi passed about why it passed? After all, we’ve seen pictures of them.

If a doctor told you your dog has 50/50 chance of surviving a long flight, but could have a decent life for a few more years if not moving, would you still do it? Some can argue that’d be quite selfish to risk it if a good alternative can be found. Of course the situation is different with actual human children as you can’t rehome them. What a ridiculous comparison. And this is someone who loves dogs and grew up with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: hel
I’m sure Meghan, as a long time dog owner, understands she needs to pay extra attention to Guy. As she has already said in the interview, he has been in U.K. for awhile now and is adjusting well. Camilla Tominey in her reporting this pst Sunday mentioned that her dog’s form 3 was filled out early in the summer. So it’s safe to assume Guy has probably spent some one on one boys time with Harry while Meghan was filming and traveling between London and Toronto.

Just because she filed the passport papers in the summer doesn't mean he has been in the UK since this summer. But yes, I am sure he has had some bonding time with Harry.

But even first time pet owners experience new things. As far as we know she has never helped a dog through separation. Guy was her second dog, he has never been the solo dog. But definitely happy to hear he is adjusting well.

Just because she filed the passport papers in the summer doesn't mean he has been in the UK since this summer. But yes, I am sure he has had some bonding time with Harry.

But even first time pet owners experience new things. As far as we know she has never helped a dog through separation. Guy was her second dog, he has never been the solo dog. But definitely happy to hear he is adjusting well.
I didn’t say he’s been in U.K. since Summer, just that it’s consistent with the comment Meghan gave about Guy being in U.K. for awhile.

Honestly, I get we have people that love pets here, as I do. But I honestly don’t see the benefit of keep going on and on and how she should deal with her dog. She’s had them for a number of years, they are still alive and seemingly ok. She’ll figure it out and deal with things her own way.

Blast from the Past

Ok. So its a night I'm not overly anxious to meet my pillows. On a hunch, I went back through old threads and found this post dated Valentine's Day, 2016.

Royal dogs have always been somewhat of interest around here and looking at this old post I wrote, I had to laugh as it actually happened. Less than two years later, we're talking about Harry bonding at home with a dog. The dog just happened to be very nicely attached to the perfect woman for him.
:D

"I still think Harry needs to get himself a dog. Over the years, Lupo has generated quite a bit of interest from the media starting with the big "secret" of what the Cambridges' puppy's name is.

But who knows? Maybe he's got himself a wonderful four legged best friend and is keeping it under the radar too. I think it was when he came back from Afghanistan for the second tour that he said keeping things under the radar was going to be his goal. Maybe he's doing an excellent job of it so far and the public sees only what he wishes them to see. That takes talent, cunning and strategy which I believe Harry has a lot of."

Just because she shared some information with us doesn’t mean it gives the public the right to interrogate her on sensitive and emotional matter such as this. She gave a brief answer when asked directly about her dogs and wish to move ion from the topic. Jason Knauf gave a slight more clarification This afternoon that Meghan meant it was a permenant situation since there were confusion from her comment about if it’s just for now or for good.

And how deeply should answer be? Should she be giving us details of Bogart’s medical condition? Have you thought maybe this is still a sore subject for her even though it’s the best decision for him? Should she give us the name of the person that took Bogart in, so people can go do a home check and make sure she picked a good family? Have you thought maybe she’d like to protect the privacy of friends who took Bogart in? Where is the line drawn? Did we go ask the Queen’s spokesperson when one her Corgi passed about why it passed? After all, we’ve seen pictures of them.

If a doctor told you your dog has 50/50 chance of surviving a long flight, but could have a decent life for a few more years if not moving, would you still do it? Some can argue that’d be quite selfish to risk it if a good alternative can be found. Of course the situation is different with actual human children as you can’t rehome them. What a ridiculous comparison. And this is someone who loves dogs and grew up with them.

I completely agree.

I get that people love dogs, and want what's best for them. My personal annoyance comes from people acting like they're owed an explanation, by Meghan personally, why Bogart didn't move to UK with her. Most likely her choice to leave Bogart in a good, loving home, instead of moving him to UK, is what's best for Bogart. Even after posting pictures of the dogs on her ig, she owes us no extra info about them, except what she decides to share.

I also saw some comment elsewhere, that Meghan should've said who introduced her and Harry, or they shouldn't have mentioned them at all. That's just crazy. She and Harry are the ones to decide how much of their life they share with the public, and what's not going to be shared. Despite the fact, that she's becoming part of the royal family, and despite the fact, that they shared SOME info. They're the ones in the driver's seat about that, not the public.

The U.K. no longer has quarantine requirements- hasn’t had them for several years now- unless for super extreme cases, and even than it’s not 6 months (i son’t think it even was before, maybe a long, long, time ago). There is a protocol for importing pets into the U.K., and it is a super easy one when one comes from a commonwealth country. (Or the EU or the USA).
He would have had to have been truly, seriously sick, with a contagious illness, to not be importable at all!. There’s a couple of illnesses I can think of and trust me if he had those he would be dead already or about to the die very soon he would have been better off being put down.

Brilliant and you are right about everything.........being a huge dog/animal lover myself I am aware of how my dogs have suffered at the hands of others and what it takes to bring them back to a normal life. Dog are like small children, the want the same thing each day, home with family, food and plenty of love and toys, the same routine day in and day out, I am sure Bogart is in a great home yet that will never take the place of his home or mom and the same with Guy. Here is hoping for the very best of these 2 dogs and Meghan who new life will surly keep her very busy for quite a long time.:flowers:

Brilliant and you are right about everything.........being a huge dog/animal lover myself I am aware of how my dogs have suffered at the hands of others and what it takes to bring them back to a normal life. Dog are like small children, the want the same thing each day, home with family, food and plenty of love and toys, the same routine day in and day out, I am sure Bogart is in a great home yet that will never take the place of his home or mom and the same with Guy. Here is hoping for the very best of these 2 dogs and Meghan who new life will surly keep her very busy for quite a long time.:flowers:

thanks!
I have a guess on why bogart did not join her to live with Harry. It’s a hunch, and my hunches in matters of pets tend to be on point.

And what is that hunch? That Meghan just couldn't be bothered? Or ....?

Perhaps you could write to Meghan and ask her for a full explanation!

French is not that common except in Quebec. But I have heard 'ahnt' pronunciation in Canada plenty.

Nearly a third of the population of New Brunswick speaks French and French is also pretty common in eastern Ontario,, closer to the Quebec border and in and around Ottawa . There is an extensível network of French-speaking public schools in Ontario to cater for the French-speaking minority.

Having said that, i don't think her pronunciation of aunt has anything to do with French , nor does it come from Pennsylvania where the pronunciation of English, at least in western PA, is pretty standard Midwestern / General American.

Last edited:
thanks!
I have a guess on why bogart did not join her to live with Harry. It’s a hunch, and my hunches in matters of pets tend to be on point.

And what is that hunch?

As for Meghan's pronunciation of aunt. I think she could've easily picked some of Harry's pronunciation, the word came up talking about his aunts, so she could've even unconsciously picked it on that subject. Accents and dialects and pronunciations aren't iron clad, they change for every person all the time depending of their logistics. I'm thinking, that Meghan will pick a lot more British pronouncing of words, as she's in other ways in a learning mode any way, learning about UK, for the citizenship tests, about the firm, patronages, people etc. She'll easily pick up accents and words too.

Last edited:
I didn’t say he’s been in U.K. since Summer, just that it’s consistent with the comment Meghan gave about Guy being in U.K. for awhile.

Honestly, I get we have people that love pets here, as I do. But I honestly don’t see the benefit of keep going on and on and how she should deal with her dog. She’s had them for a number of years, they are still alive and seemingly ok. She’ll figure it out and deal with things her own way.

Amen! This topic has seriously gotten out of hand. She doesn’t “owe” anyone explainations regarding her decisions for the care of her pets simply because she shared pictures on social media.

Seems to me folks are being nasty in their assumptions that Meghan has just abandoned her dog. Perhaps folks ought not assume the worst.

Ultimately it's none of our business. Because she's a public figure and has posted her dogs online (who hasn't. I've got a pic of my dog in my profile and on FB) doesn't mean the public has the right to know or tell a person what to do when it comes to their care, which none of us/you can possibly know about all the details about a certain animal.

Whatever the reason he was unable to make the trip, it's her decision and there's no reason to think she's doing anything but her best for the dog as opposed to her personal wants as his owner.

Geez people enough already. How many pages do we need to go on about her dog?

LaRae

Bogart doesn't like Harry? Bogart doesn't travel well? he's elderly, in poor health, is set in his way and unlikely to be abel to move well?

He could also have one of the infections that would keep him out of the UK. I did try looking up what a pet Passport was, how long quarantine was etc. I quickly understood why people hire someone to handle this for them.

I've known animal rights activists/lovers that made this kind of tough choice. And it was always in the Dog's best interest rather than their own. I trust her to be making that same kind of decision.

well I hope that she is a responsible pet owner and has perhaps had to make the choice of leaving him in the US or Canada.. because of illness or because he's elderly and doesnt' seem up to travel.. but it goes to show, for months people have been posting about how wonderuful she is and how she and Harry are the most perfect couple etc and now that they're engaged, people are jumping on hr over her dogs etc.

I mentioned this earlier yesterday. Our son and his wife don't have children yet, they have dogs. They are always posting their dogs online. They are their babies.

Earlier this year they had to move to Germany. During the vet process their regular vet told them if they took their Puggle (they have 3 dogs) it was 50/50 he wouldn't survive the flight over. Due to his physical condition (health problems). So they found him a home with good friends who were willing to take him and people the dog knew. They took their other two dogs with them. This was not easy. They were very upset about it. However they didn't want to risk him dying going over either.

They made the best decision they could make for the dogs welfare. Now the only reason I know all this is cause I'm the mother! They did not broadcast this to social media they are on.

So instead of assuming the worst about Meghan's (or anyone's) decision let us at least in good faith assume she did the best thing for the dog's sake.

LaRae

Anyone who owns dogs or is a dog lover knows how heartbreaking it is to say goodbye to them, even if it's just a short while. I can't imagine Meghan ever taking that decision lightly and she is probably still has heartache from it. I know I would.

My sister had to re-home her cat when her son was born because he turned out to be allergic. It wasn't a decision taken lightly but still broke her heart to do it.

People are again being ridiculous yet again but what is new here?

well I hope that she is a responsible pet owner and has perhaps had to make the choice of leaving him in the US or Canada.. because of illness or because he's elderly and doesnt' seem up to travel.. but it goes to show, for months people have been posting about how wonderuful she is and how she and Harry are the most perfect couple etc and now that they're engaged, people are jumping on hr over her dogs etc.

To be fair, I don't think the most critical voice on here about this was a regular poster or fan of the couple. And for others, it's more opinion based on a personal experience being reflected onto her than her actual situation as we don't have all the details.

So instead of assuming the worst about Meghan's (or anyone's) decision let us at least in good faith assume she did the best thing for the dog's sake.

LaRae

Exactly! Everything we've seen about he dogs shows that they are loved and well care for. So I'm not sure why the benefit of the doubt isn't given here. I honestly don't think anyone in the royal family owes us any explanation about how they take care of their dogs until we see evidence of mistreatment, which we haven't seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makes no sense for her to leave one pet behind and bring the other over if she was a heartless pet owner as some seem to suggest. If she had no good intentions it would make more sense to leave both behind. Personally I think Bogart is infirm. Long travel might endanger him causing more harm than good. Think about it.

Last edited:
:previous: only some Americans prounce it the way you think. It is very regional.

Exactly. I was born in the Midwest and spent the first ten years of my life there, but the rest of the time I have lived in California.

Me and my entire family have always said AUNTS.

Exactly. I was born in the Midwest and spent the first ten years of my life there, but the rest of the time I have lived in California.

Me and my entire family have always said AUNTS.

Funnily enough someone I know said soemthign about their aunt recently and pronounced it very much AUUNT.. rather than closer to Ant which is what I'd say.. and it sound so "ultra posh".. made me almost giggle...

Yea i’m not going into this again, i’ve stated my point of view- based of of years of dealing with abandoned dogs and cats in shelters and as a foster home, as well as moly personal relocation experience and of others which I have helped.
I currently have more urgent matters in my life and have zero patience for people being nasty.

FYI: bogart is far from old, all past signs indicate he is barely 8 yearly old. And I have provided links and information to ways she’s could have still brought him over.
If he was truly sick with anything that would forbid him from relocating to a new country than no self respecting vet would have recommended putting him down. And if he is sick with any of illnesses, rehoming him at his condition is truly plain cruel to any dog.

Again I still think she’s a good person overall, and I am impressed with her resume. But yes I think less of her because of this, it has nothing to do with the engagement.

Now i’m choosing to be done with this topic.
I have zero emotional energy at the moment for the back and forth.
Again i’m not a royal watcher and I don’t think i’ve ever heard of her until recently.

Last edited:
Hello there! I am so thrilled about the news! They make a really cute and happy couple, I am really happy about them. I honestly can't wait until the balcony kiss!
I would like to ask you something. I would love to have an autograph from Meghan because I am a fan of her for a year now, so it would be amazing. I have watched her movies and tv projects and so far she is pretty good! Thing is I haven't sent her anything all this time. I have seen other royal brides before the wedding replying personally to some letters. Well I know that after the wedding there is no chance anyone can get an autograph from her due to the royal protocol but before this and maybe she's still an actress. I want to ask you, is something like that possible in a way now that she is not yet married to the Prince? And where to send the mail? Do you know any other way to reach out to her? Thank you a lot, guys. Wish the best to all of you and of course Prince Harry and Ms Markle.

FYI: bogart is far from old, all past signs indicate he is barely 8 yearly old. And I have provided links and information to ways she’s could have still brought him over.
If he was truly sick with anything that would forbid him from relocating to a new country than no self respecting vet would have recommended putting him down. And if he is sick with any of illnesses, rehoming him at his condition is truly plain cruel to any dog.

We don't know what Bogart's situation is. It could be something that's chronic, and not temporary, but makes it unsuitable for him to travel whereas he could still live a relatively normal life. If that's the case, I don't know if any vet would say it's a good idea. They'll give her chances of him surviving long distance travel and being in a new climate and environment, and leave it up to her to decide it's worth the risk. Keep in mind that there are a number of things we don't know that are possible. It's possible that it's something that could be triggered by stress of long travel. It's also possible that there is a legal reason he can't be imported into UK.

As for rehoming him if he's sick with any illness being cruel. I'm not understanding this. If he can't travel without possible dire consequences, What do you suggest she do other than find a good home for him with people she trusts? She said they are good friends of her, so Bogart has likely met them multiple times before and is at least somewhat familiar with them.

It seems that there is an underlying assumption that Meghan hasn't made every effort to bring Bogart with her somehow. She's had him since he was a baby, and by all things we've seen, he's been cared for and loved. I highly doubt after all these years, she just threw up her hands and said oh well, I guess I'll just leave him.

I want to ask you, is something like that possible in a way now that she is not yet married to the Prince? And where to send the mail?

Given that the engagement has now been officially announced, you can send any good wishes to Harry and Meghan via Kensington Palace.

Makes no sense for her to leave one pet behind and bring the other over if she was a heartless pet owner as some seem to suggest. If she had no good intentions it would make more sense to leave both behind. Personally I think Bogart is infirm. Long travel might endanger him causing more harm than good. Think about it.

Absolutely spot on....and many dogs are born with heart issues that make flying an impossibility-that is just a suggestion in this case. And here we are, with no understanding of the implications or health issues, making judgements on why she has done what she has with Bogart. I would say she has not been selfish in leaving him behind. She has been kind; and in loving him, made the best decision she could....even though it well could have broken her heart to do so. :sad:

We don't know what Bogart's situation is. It could be something that's chronic, and not temporary, but makes it unsuitable for him to travel whereas he could still live a relatively normal life. If that's the case, I don't know if any vet would say it's a good idea. They'll give her chances of him surviving long distance travel and being in a new climate and environment, and leave it up to her to decide it's worth the risk. Keep in mind that there are a number of things we don't know that are possible. It's possible that it's something that could be triggered by stress of long travel. It's also possible that there is a legal reason he can't be imported into UK.

As for rehoming him if he's sick with any illness being cruel. I'm not understanding this. If he can't travel without possible dire consequences, What do you suggest she do other than find a good home for him with people she trusts? She said they are good friends of her, so Bogart has likely met them multiple times before and is at least somewhat familiar with them.

Or he might be a conservative dog who doesn't seem likely to settle in a new home, far away.. Perhaps he hasn't taken to harry, or has been unhappy at other times if he has had to travel. And of course if he is ill, the best thing to do is to find him a loving home nearby with friends, where he wotn have so much stress. Really, Meg woud have been wiser not to talk about her dogs! I cant remember if the interviewer brought it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom