Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, General News 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: ... and a huge lesson to learn from.

I don't think we'll see too much of Harry and Meghan now until after the beginning of the New Year when royal engagements start to pick up again. The Queen herself doesn't return to London until early February.

As we get closer and closer to the date of the wedding, we'll be getting a lot of information to discuss along with the varied engagements Meghan attends with Harry.

A lot to look forward to in the New Year. :D

Yes but because of that fear that there had been pressure for Charles to get married, I think the RF have avoided imposing any pressure on the 2 boys. So boht have had a pretty free choice.

Which is only good. Imagine putting pressure on Harry to get married when he was at the skinny dipping in Vegas stage of his life, or when he was dating around. IMHO it's good that they both were allowed to live and experience life, and find their own footing before they got married.

But I do think Charles was pressured to get married and made a rushed choice based on that pressure. And realistically, he was beginning to realize his choices were narrowing...
Thank goodness his sons had more freedom when finding a life partner.
And this is all off topic for this thread.

Absolutely..Charles has verified that. He felt enormous pressure by the media and his father sent him that letter/note saying hey you can't let this continue, this girl is under siege ..either propose soon or cut her loose.

Afterward she went away with her mother for 2 weeks to think about it before the public announcement ...I wonder if he wasn't hoping she'd come back and say no thanks I'll pass.

LaRae

We're getting side tracked off topic rehashing Charles and Diana's marriage mistake. The best part of that mistake is that their sons learned from it. :D

Nobody is forcing anyone in the RF to marry... even fi there is pressure, they are not forced...

Eh.. some might not feel that way. I get they not physically forced but mentally and emotionally forced? Sure. Seems harsh of a word but I stand by it. I am not member of the RBF but heck I have experienced that "You have a choice, but not really" mentality in my normal middle class life. I can only imagine what it was like for a 19 year old Diana being "pressured" into a marriage with a man she knew didn't even want her. I am glad those ways are done for.

Diana was not the one who was pressured. I don't know wehre you are getting that idea. She wanted to marry Charles. He was pressured... but not forced

I don't think Harry feels pressure, or at least I hope not; I don't think anyone official could pressure him but maybe seeing his brother a family makes him long for his own. THAT IS SPECULATION ON MY PART! My main point is no media or family members could probably tell him it's time to get married.

This thread is about Harry & Meghan's General News, not about the marriages of other members of the Royal Family. Let's stay on topic please.

Wow, what a mean article.

I'm not sure how this works in the Anglican church, but Meghan's first marriage would not be considered a Christian marriage in the Catholic church, since by all indications, Meghan and her ex husband had no intention to have a Christian, sacramental marriage.

The article was very coy in the bigoted objections to the marriage. Were they as mean about Will and Kate's marriage? After all, she didn't come from the 150 people suitable to marry a royal.

As you recently joined TRF (welcome!) you may have missed that this has been discussed multiple times.

Happy to explain again. Main point is that the Anglican church is not like the Roman Catholic church: marriage is not considered a sacrament (only baptism and communion/eucharist). A marriage is a marriage, so anyone who civilly married is considered married by the Anglican church as well as those that had (also) a religious ceremony. So, Meghan's status in the eyes of the law and the church is 'divorced'.

As you recently joined TRF (welcome!) you may have missed that this has been discussed multiple times.

Happy to explain again. Main point is that the Anglican church is not like the Roman Catholic church: marriage is not considered a sacrament (only baptism and communion/eucharist). A marriage is a marriage, so anyone who civilly married is considered married by the Anglican church as well as those that had (also) a religious ceremony. So, Meghan's status in the eyes of the law and the church is 'divorced'.

Thanks, I did not know that. So are there not circumstances where a couple may have an annulment?

'The Spectator' is an eminent and respected Magazine. ie NOT the 'Daily Fail'.
You clearly disagree with its conclusions, but [even so] it pays to 'know your enemy'...

I loved it for the Cartoon with it ALONE !

Good article - a well written alternative view. I agree with it re the amount of drivel that's been written. Media in full GUSH mode.

Love the cartoon as well.

That article is pretty insulting, I think...not unlike other articles that have been written about Meghan in the UK press since this relationship began. So yeah, can't say the media has ever been in full gush mode, unless you're referring to the American media.

Having an alternative view is fine but I have yet to see one about this relationship that doesn't seem rooted in -isms and/or some rigid view of monarchy or royalty.

Mail on Sunday is reporting that Guy broke two legs shortly after the engagement announcement. Meghan was reportedly distraught and very upset. He’s being treated by Professor Noel Fitzpatrick. Harry has joined her on visits to see Guy.

Sending best thoughts to the couple and wish Guy a quick recovery. Glad he’s receiving the best care possible.

Last edited:
Looks like Harry has visited with her and the dog. Not sure why this is news, but I am not a dog person. Perhaps she should have left both dogs in Canada. Pets sometimes don't do well when they travel long distances and have to adjust to new environments.

That article is pretty insulting, I think...not unlike other articles that have been written about Meghan in the UK press since this relationship began. So yeah, can't say the media has ever been in full gush mode, unless you're referring to the American media.

Having an alternative view is fine but I have yet to see one about this relationship that doesn't seem rooted in -isms and/or some rigid view of monarchy or royalty.

I don't think its insulting - it is an alternative view.

I don't know how many of the UK papers you actually read but I have to say all I have read (until the dress debacle) was unstinting non critical OTT praise - with certain journos in full GUSH mode.

I'm British - I try to read all of the papers (with one exception) and that's how it was.

What will happen is that it will calm down and like every other member of the royal family she will get praise when doing a good job and criticism when she doesn't. That's life as a public figure.

:previous: Why is what someone wears news :whistling: I would rather see a story about her beloved dog, then what a royal wore. Many people do care.

There was quite a bit of talk when Bogart was unable to make the trip. So no surprise they would report that Guy was now suffering an injury.

Meghan Markle distraught after rescue dog breaks two legs | Daily Mail Online

I hope he gets better soon. Two broken legs, I wonder how he was hurt. Cant be easy on Meghan after having to leave behind Bogart. Hopefully he recovers and is home with her soon.

... - with certain journos in full GUSH mode.

What will happen is that it will calm down and like every other member of the royal family she will get praise when doing a good job and criticism when she doesn't. That's life as a public figure.

I think that’s pretty standard procedure when a royal engagement is announced and for the wedding itself. As you said, it evens out after a while.

:previous:The Daily Mail article also mentioned that she had to leave Bogart behind because he was too old to fly, is that true?

I don't know how many of the UK papers you actually read but I have to say all I have read (until the dress debacle) was unstinting non critical OTT praise - with certain journos in full GUSH mode.

I'm British - I try to read all of the papers (with one exception) and that's how it was.

I’m not sure if the hush mode you are talking about is since the engagement has been announced or since the relationship? If it’s since the relationship broke in the news, that’s quite frankly just not true. Otherwise, Harry wouldn’t have had to issue he unprecedented statement telling them to back off of commentaries with racial undertones or smearing headlines among other unacceptable behavior. And multiple outlets wouldn’t have had to issue apologies. If it’s since the engagement, then that’s to Meghan’s own credit. We’ve seen her three times in public before the engagement photos. The woman knocked it out of the park. I’d say any praise was more than justified in that case.

:previous:The Daily Mail article also mentioned that she had to leave Bogart behind because he was too old to fly, is that true?

We don’t know for sure. No official confirmation of the reason from KP. When asked by reporters, all Jason Knauf would say was that it was a difficult decision and Bogart has been rehomed with trusted friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogart isn't that old. All we know is that he was unable to make the trip. What the health reasons may be, have never been disclosed.

Actually, it's a racist article. Meghan's entire media coverage has been laced with racism. Her engagement dress was not a debacle, because she has earned her own money. She's still a private citizen, and she can wear whatever she wants. Those photographs were lovely, and the couple should be very proud of them.

Oh no. If true I hope the pup gets better. Hope it wasn't someone being malicious.

We don't even know if Guy has been hurt. DM often gets their info completely wrong. The reason why Bogart is rehomed and stayed behind was never disclosed, DM don't know that.

For goodness’ sake, not everything is about race. You can say the criticism isn’t justified (I’ve been vocal about that), but stop trying to make everything about race when there is nothing to support it. I’m the first one to call out that type of behavior when I see blatant racism or even dog whistling, but this is just too much.

For goodness’ sake, not everything is about race. You can say the criticism isn’t justified (I’ve been vocal about that), but stop trying to make everything about race when there is nothing to support it. I’m the first one to call out that type of behavior when I see blatant racism or even dog whistling, but this is just too much.

I respectfully disagree. Harry's statement even discussed this issue. It's racism.

I respectfully disagree. Harry's statement even discussed this issue. It's racism.

Harry’s statement was about the coverage when the relationship first came to light and he was absolutely right about the coverage then. Not about anything recent.

I don't think there's been this influx of gushing about Meghan and Harry, ever. There's been a lot of unfair and made up criticism, which is why Harry had that statement released in the first place. Just because Meghan received a lot of praise for the first engagement in Nottingham, or publications wrote cute things about the engagement pictures, doesn't make it unbalanced. There's a lot of negativity and less praiseful articles too.

This article imho was poorly written, the criticism was weird, and to me it sounded like a lot of tumblr posts I've read lately.

Harry’s statement was about the coverage when the relationship first came to light and he was absolutely right about the coverage then. Not about anything recent.

Again, I respectfully disagree. The same trashy reporting that attacked Meghan then, has only gotten worse. It's racism. It saddens me.

This article imho was poorly written, the criticism was weird, and to me it sounded like a lot of tumblr posts I've read lately.

Honestly, if the recommendation is that royals go back to inbreeding, I think that alone just kills all credibility of the argument.

It’s not even an alternative view, it’s a demented view.

Again, I respectfully disagree. The same trashy reporting that attacked Meghan then, has only gotten worse. It's racism. It saddens me.

That’s just ... inaccurate. While some criticism has been blown out of proportion. It’s not even close to what was happening. And the specific article you commented on above was from Spectator, which I don’t believe participated in the racial undertones in their reporting of the relationship when the news broke. I suggest we stick to facts and stop crying wolf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom