Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events 1: November 2017 - May 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyways it has been nice seeing all the youth coming out commenting about H&M today. A few of them have been in different TV shows. What publicity for them and that program. Life changing. The DJ who slipped the card even said he has had job offers. They will never forget that experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unusual in that I hadn’t seen her act that way before. It was just an observation, one I regret making and certainly won’t in the future.

Please do make the comments, Gaudete. I think there will be lots of such impressions and they may be rooted in cultural differences so subtle that we are not aware. :flowers:

Regarding Meghan's hand gesture to her mouth I think we are looking at a cultural divide. Meghan's gesture is a highly personal one (very American, usually done between friends) and as such is a compliment Meghan extended to the crowd. That's me as an American looking at the situation. Do other Americans see it that way? For me it was a decidedly 'equalizing' gesture, a sort of 'genuflection' to the crowd, and as such was a charming gesture for her to make.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of the next event they will have?

As the earlier mod note indicates, this thread is about the actual current events, so posts discussing how much Meghan is giving up/sacrificing by marrying Harry have been deleted.

Before the wave, Meghan was concentrating on Harry's conversation and seemed very serious. Harry suggested she waved and she seemed happy and gracious to do so. Some say that was a Hollywood moment but I disagree. Hollywood would be if she waved to the crowd without paying attention to Harry and her hosts. He attention was fully on the conversation until Harry suggested she wave. I do think she is trying to learn and get things right.
That's how I see it as well. It was Harry who suggested to her that she waved. She was probably uncertain about whether and, if so how, to respond to all the people calling her name - as she is still learning what is expected of her in her new role. Harry as the experienced royal then hinted that she should acknowledge the fans by waving which she did - until that moment she was fully paying attention to her hosts.

All in all, it looked like both the hosts and the couple were enjoying the visit which brought a lot of attention to the work of the organization.

Last edited:
That's how I see it as well. It was Harry who suggested to her that she waved. She was probably uncertain about whether and, if so how, to respond to all the people calling her name - as she is still learning what is expected of her in her new role. Harry as the experienced royal then hinted that she should acknowledge the fans by waving which she did - until that moment she was fully paying attention to her hosts.

All in all, it looked like both the hosts and the couple were enjoying the visit which brought a lot of attention to the work of the organization.

Agree. I’ve watched the video a couple of times. I think Meghan is savvy and real. In a moment of true genuineness, it seemed as she waved, for a split second she was just a gal who could pinch herself knowing what is before her and she shared that with the crowd. She’s still on cloud nine.

I think if she enters territory where she follows the set standard and asks intelligent questions like: “can you test the smell by smelling it”? Or replies: “oh that’s interesting” to an affected child discussing the traumatic impact of genocide and atrocities.... then there’ll be cause for concern :eek:

Oh gosh...I know what you are referring to you naughty thing!:lol::lol: I had almost forgotten that one!;)

I really think Ms. Markle is in a lose-lose situation here. If she cringes and rolls her eyes she's toast. Toast. If she looks too content with her lot she's(fill in the blanks)

All she can do is take the late Jacqueline Kennedy's perfect advice(imo) for when she is confronted with a pack of shrieking press and public....

"Just smile and look evasive."

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Current Events Part 1: November 2017 -

It wasn’t just the geisha moment. It was how she conducted herself generally yesterday. It just struck me as unusual and as I’ve said, I agree with others that this was possibly a one off because she got a little carried away in the moment.

What I would say is that critique is actually allowed when it comes to public figures. This collective pearl clutching at any suggestion that Meghan might not be 100% perfect is going to tire very quickly. And that’s from someone who likes her.

Interesting post I agree with you . I suppose it’s all a learning experience at the moment and she reviews it and moves forward
It’s the 100% perfect I find hard too. Don’t give up having an opinion we need all opinions here

Last edited:
What the heck are you talking about?

Meghan is a celebrity who’s spent her adult life basking in the limelight.

For her now to all of sudden play the babe in the woods routine is nothing but contrived.

In my opinion Meghan loves the attention so the hand to mouth act is not necessary.

Every senior royal lady like the attention they get. That’s not a bad thing, IMO. It’s one of the reasons why they try to look their best and do their very best in everything they do and everywhere they go.

Meghan is no longer greeting her celebrity fans, but her people. That’s a total different thing and it’s very touching.

Last edited:
Every senior royal lady like the attention they get. That’s not a bad thing, IMO. It’s one of the reasons why they try to look their best in everything they do and everywhere they go.

Meghan is no longer greeting her celebrity fans, but her people. That’s a total different thing and it’s very touching.

I am not sure that is true. I'd say the role is much easier if they do (and what about the men?) But for some it seems sonething they thrive on and for others it is something they accept as part of being married to the person they love (or the family they were born into).

Agree. I’ve watched the video a couple of times. I think Meghan is savvy and real. In a moment of true genuineness, it seemed as she waved, for a split second she was just a gal who could pinch herself knowing what is before her and she shared that with the crowd. She’s still on cloud nine.

Exactly so. :flowers: A very genuine, and personal, gesture.

Please do make the comments, Gaudete. I think there will be lots of such impressions and they may be rooted in cultural differences so subtle that we are not aware. :flowers:

Regarding Meghan's hand gesture to her mouth I think we are looking at a cultural divide. Meghan's gesture is a highly personal one (very American, usually done between friends) and as such is a compliment Meghan extended to the crowd. That's me as an American looking at the situation. Do other Americans see it that way? For me it was a decidedly 'equalizing' gesture, a sort of 'genuflection' to the crowd, and as such was a charming gesture for her to make.

Totally agree with you Lady Nimue, to me it was an *Ah* moment, like *oh my goodness what do I do now* moment, like *being surprised in a good way* moment. It happened, she is human and reacted as such, no big deal!

I sure hope she does not become that robot that we see among so many royals when out at events.......what is the use of them if they become robots, who would go to the events or believe in them then? I like that she is *real* and *human* and *being herself*.......not something that the smile never reaches the eyes as I see so many times with people.:flowers:

I am not sure that is true. I'd say the role is much easier if they do (and what about the men?) But for some it seems sonething they thrive on and for others it is something they accept as part of being married to the person they love (or the family they were born into).

Yes, I do think many of the men enjoy it too. She haven’t been on the royal job yet for anyone to say she thrive on the attention. May 19th haven’t arrived yet.

Folks have to remember that Meghan has been exposed to some parts of the media for a while. She’s been greeted by fans who liked her show. Everything is different now. She now have a different country that’s coming out to greet her. All of this is on a different scale.

I think some folks have chosen to make a big deal about Meghan putting her hand over her mouth and doing a cute wave. If you looked at the whole video...Meghan and Harry just felt the love.

I remember folks worrying that the people and media wouldn’t accept a senior Prince getting engaged to an American actress. Well, Harry and Meghan has been greeted with nothing but love since their announcement.

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan's engagement for Reprezent on 1/9 is being reported as dividing the company. It's predominantly people of in Brixton. Some welcome the visit, some don't saying it's window dressing and the royals never visited their community before . They're only here because Meghan is biracial. This should be interesting because it will a proving ground for Meghan to see if she can handle this side of Royal life.
I guess we can now say with certainty that Meghan has succeeded as far as this proving ground! As a matter of fact, she succeeded beyond the wildest expectations! :whistling::D

I have to say she's no used to that type of response from the crowd. They were very loud before she turned around, but it was deafening when she turned around and waved.

Exactly, and I think that may have caught her by surprise specifically because Harry seemed to have suggested waving as a way to deal with the volume (as in, wave and they'll calm down) and the result was to momentarily turn the volume up quite a bit higher.

As others have said, until the world found out she was dating Harry, Meghan was an ensemble player on a mid-performing show that some people followed but most knew nothing about. She hadn't yet broken through to the point of getting even one-off interviews on top-level chat shows, she had never been in the kind of production with big red-carpet premieres where fans camp out to see fans (her red carpet footage is all from the sorts of events where only the entertainment press is there, not fans...very different treatment, all business), and while it seems from things she's said that she met fans from time to time, she could generally go about her day in a fairly anonymous fashion. The fact that she was able to date Harry for months without anyone underlines that she wasn't living in a spotlight; nobody noticed she was in the same places as him because nobody was paying any attention to her. She just wasn't that well known.

All that to say key elements of this are new to her. Her work history gives her tools for adjusting to the attention that most royal fiancees don't have at the start; I do certainly think we generally see her aware of her audience and her "angles" (what part of her is most visible to those watching) in a way that most royal spouses only learn over time. When she's inside at these engagements she's more firmly in an established comfort zone, probably because the number of people just watching as she interacts with the people designated to meet her is not too different from the number of people working on a set while she was acting. But having hundreds of people crowding into the street to see her then screaming her name and wanting to shake her hand is definitely not something she would have experienced before. I see a certain ease with being watched in her willingness to react visibly (and in the way she's able to tune in her attention to what's in front of her when need be without constantly sneaking glances at the crowd -- that's definitely something you often see the "newbies" have a hard time with at first -- but also indications that the scope of it all is an adjustment for her.

I think it was more surprising yesterday than Nottingham because they expected a big crowd at Nottingham since a walkabout and specific street closures to accommodate were announced before hand. I believe we also had time announced. Yesterday was different. There wasn't a plan for a walkabout and they were in lockdown mode in terms of security. Time was not announced by the Palace and journalists are specific instructed not to release the time to public. The welcome they received was surprising. I certainly didn't expect it.
Meghan has the right balance in how carries herself and I certainly wouldn’t want to see her become robotic or detached from her audience as you do with some royals. To me, she emits genuine warmth, is confident and displays an impressive understanding of the issues she deals with. Evidently, she makes sure she studies beforehand and goes prepared to any event/engagement. And showing an appreciation of her audience is nothing to be sneered at.
Yes, Meghan obviously studied beforehand. So many people think that the Royals just roll up, wave to the crowd, make meaningless small talk, come out and wave to the crowd again and zip off. Time and effort went into preparing for that engagement, as it does for all working royals. I have to admit I get irritated that people fail to give credit where credit is due.

One other aspect of this visit to Brixton. On 2 Jan NBC was there trying to stir up some negative and, if possible racial, discontent. They had a few people saying it was all just a publicity stunt but, if someone asks if something is a publicity stunt they get a yes it is, or no it isn't. I read some more from other outlets earlier that day and it was the same people being quoted. But you can see by the way the visit was handled by the Police and how edgy the RPO's were. They were all prepared for if not an actively hostile crowd, at least a negative one. Instead, I think the crowd they got blew them all away.

Harry and Meghan got out of the car and stayed on-script right up until he told her to turn around. The atmosphere and was electric and loud, very, very, loud. I had my sound turned way up because of roadworks and it must have been a break because suddenly the sound was earsplitting! You could see when Harry realised this was a happy party crowd as opposed to what they had probably been told to expect.

To me, both Harry and Meghan's reaction was pure gold. Both looked initially gobsmacked to realise the crowd were calling for Meghan and Harry, when he realised that, told her to turn and wave. The Police and RPO's must have been cool with their unplanned walkabout before the left or it wouldn't have happened. But, it must be humbling to see ordinary people so pumped about them and especially about Harry's Lady. He holds her hand or introduces her by gently putting his arm behind her and moving her forward (a very Frederik move that) like he wants everyone to see what he sees and fell in love with. Pure Gold!

Yes, Meghan obviously studied beforehand. So many people think that the Royals just roll up, wave to the crowd, make meaningless small talk, come out and wave to the crowd again and zip off. Time and effort went into preparing for that engagement, as it does for all working royals. I have to admit I get irritated that people fail to give credit where credit is due.

One other aspect of this visit to Brixton. On 2 Jan NBC was there trying to stir up some negative and, if possible racial, discontent. They had a few people saying it was all just a publicity stunt but, if someone asks if something is a publicity stunt they get a yes it is, or no it isn't. I read some more from other outlets earlier that day and it was the same people being quoted. But you can see by the way the visit was handled by the Police and how edgy the RPO's were. They were all prepared for if not an actively hostile crowd, at least a negative one. Instead, I think the crowd they got blew them all away.

Harry and Meghan got out of the car and stayed on-script right up until he told her to turn around. The atmosphere and was electric and loud, very, very, loud. I had my sound turned way up because of roadworks and it must have been a break because suddenly the sound was earsplitting! You could see when Harry realised this was a happy party crowd as opposed to what they had probably been told to expect.

To me, both Harry and Meghan's reaction was pure gold. Both looked initially gobsmacked to realise the crowd were calling for Meghan and Harry, when he realised that, told her to turn and wave. The Police and RPO's must have been cool with their unplanned walkabout before the left or it wouldn't have happened. But, it must be humbling to see ordinary people so pumped about them and especially about Harry's Lady. He holds her hand or introduces her by gently putting his arm behind her and moving her forward (a very Frederik move that) like he wants everyone to see what he sees and fell in love with. Pure Gold!

Totally agree Marg. Gobsmacked indeed! It’s as if Harry’s been reborn. He’s bursting with joy and love.

I thought they both did fabulous!

Even with Meghan to share the spotlight, Harry is still a crowd favorite. The cries for him were just as loud as for Meghan. I think that makes them a more equal pair than William/Kate, Charles/Diana in terms of the spotlight and public attention. They are, as individuals, extremely charismatic. Together, they are electrifying.

I thought her response to the cheers was very sincere and in the moment. I was getting a little emotional watching it myself. Meghan has been put through the wringer by her family and the press. I honestly think this is the most pressure a BRF bride has been under since Diana and is indeed comparable to the Diana frenzy. I don't think the interest will be as sustained as Diana, but Meghan is striking a cord. There were several interviews with people of color in the crowd who were so moved to finally see someone who shares their background in the BRF. Reporters have remarked that the crowds are much more diverse than what you usually see at royal events. Some of that is probably the area, but I also think Meghan is generating excitement in quarters that the BRF doesn't usually resonate.

So, great event! I am so greedy for more of these two together!

Totally agree with you Lady Nimue, to me it was an *Ah* moment, like *oh my goodness what do I do now* moment, like *being surprised in a good way* moment. It happened, she is human and reacted as such, no big deal!

I sure hope she does not become that robot that we see among so many royals when out at events.......what is the use of them if they become robots, who would go to the events or believe in them then? I like that she is *real* and *human* and *being herself*.......not something that the smile never reaches the eyes as I see so many times with people.:flowers:

We agree, M.Payton. ;) It was a very honest, open moment, and if something seemed 'odd' I do believe it's a cultural difference.

I very much hope she never compromises her essential American-ness because she's now up at the 'big house'. :cool: I do admit to feeling some push-back when I hear comments like: she will learn, she will adapt to dress or how you do something, like there is a script for what is okay as a royal, suggesting that there is a mold that she must fit come hey-or-high. Saying such things about Catherine who is British might make sense since she shares the class system sensibilities, but it doesn't with someone from another country. JMO. :flowers:

I don't know if there even is a rigid code for royal's to follow on engagements? Would there actually be an advisor telling Meghan about those 5 seconds, and to be more in control during engagements? If there isn't, why would she feel any need to change?

This is only my opinion, and in no way meant to diminish the opinions of others, as I think it would be quite stressful and suffocating to be in control of every moment of an engagement. There's no script to follow, the engagements are human interactions, built on reactions and happen in the moment. So of course we are going to see emotional moments, and reactions, they're bound to happen.

I understand some want more in control and less of spontaneous reactions, while others find these moments relatable. I happen to be the latter, and as there's no pleasing everyone, Meghan just needs to keep doing her, being herself, and behaving how it's natural for her.

I understand some want more in control and less of spontaneous reactions, while others find these moments relatable. I happen to be the latter, and as there's no pleasing everyone, Meghan just needs to keep doing her, being herself, and behaving how it's natural for her.

Agree. :flowers: Meghan is American. She is not going to morph into someone with British mannerisms, though she may exhibit British sensibilities over time (understandably). I would hope her new countrymen and women give her that lee-way. After all, she is never going to be Queen, so nothing quintessentially British need be seen as compromised.

Ah, Lady Nimue I do think we hit on something here for I also want and hope that Meghan does not become so wrapped up in being royal and married into a royal family that she loses herself completely. I do realize that there are things that she will have to do, like the walk to the church, which fork to use, and waving, yet please never walk 3 steps behind any man for that would make me lose respect for her, please never give up your sense of *self* and adventurous spirit that she seems to have, first and foremost always be *true* to whom you are as an individual person for doing that she will always be *honest* with herself. Always greet someone with a smile that reaches the eyes for there lies genuine compassion for others. Never lose yourself in anyone, always be there for your husband as a equal, partner who wants to hear and have a say in life's decisions. No puppets for me as there is enough out there walking that line of being royal.

As you can see I do not belong to clicks, clubs, gangs, groups, or parties, I firmly believe we women should have a choice in our lives yet I do wonder how this lifestyle will effect her. Okay bring it on..............:lol:

I don't know if there even is a rigid code for royal's to follow on engagements? Would there actually be an advisor telling Meghan about those 5 seconds, and to be more in control during engagements? If there isn't, why would she feel any need to change?

This is only my opinion, and in no way meant to diminish the opinions of others, as I think it would be quite stressful and suffocating to be in control of every moment of an engagement. There's no script to follow, the engagements are human interactions, built on reactions and happen in the moment. So of course we are going to see emotional moments, and reactions, they're bound to happen.

I believe that many are mentally harking back to the days of Diana and to be honest, I cannot see Harry sitting back and allowing little grey men to even be in a position to tell Meghan how to look, act, behave, etc. He's seen the resultant damage and I believe his father would support him on this 100%. He will always follow RPO and Police advice because if he doesn't he could endanger people other than he and Meghan. We saw this at Brixton when they got out of the car and walked straight to the door. I think the police were worried about violence and instead they had a really, really noisy happy crowd who were happy to see them. I believe that is why the impromptu walkabout was allowed.

Meghan is who Harry fell in love with and I believe that within the bounds of safety he would never want her to change and he certainly won't allow anyone less than his Gran to constrain either of them. However, as a result of the crazy coverage, I think even Harry will have someone else doing their grocery shopping rather than he with or without Meghan. Contrary to expectations, they have exceeded anyone's wildest notions of becoming a popular addition to "The Firm" and have turned into an amazing double act that excites even the most jaded of royal followers but may, unfortunately, enrage others. Sadly, they are already victims of their own success.

New engagement announced for the Couple, by Kensington Palace -

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will visit Cardiff on 18 January "for a day showcasing the rich culture and heritage of Wales, and to learn more about some of the organisations working in communities across the country."

Last edited:
Meghan, the woman she is, is the person that Harry has fallen in love with and vice versa. I don't see either of these two wanting to change each other or morph themselves into a mold to suit anyone else. There will be protocols and such they will follow as far as appearing in public but as much as we've seen Harry be so protective of his Meghan, I can definitely see him lambasting into anyone that dares to suggest that Meghan "change" or "adapt" better as a royal.

As far as the engagement in Brixton, Harry and Meghan had no clue of what they were going to walk into. As Marg noted, there were concerns and a high police presence because of concerns of how the crowd was going to react. With knowing this, Harry and Meghan were most likely well prepared to make a fast beeline to the door to be safe. Then, to get out of the car to a very loud and very positive demonstration of approval of the couple had to have been something that was not expected and a huge surprise and Meghan reacted likewise.

This couple is going to make a very powerful team for the "Firm". Not with Harry as the star or Meghan being another "Diana" but a united team working together for the best possible outcome. Both are charismatic and have an ease with dealing with the people they meet.

As I've said before, Harry's really grabbed the brass ring on the marriage-go-round and it shows.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will visit Cardiff on 18 January "for a day showcasing the rich culture and heritage of Wales, and to learn more about some of the organisations working in communities across the country."

Oh how lovely that they are going to Wales!

LaRae

Both of these Wales brothers have shown what could of been.

This is going to be a very positive time for the BRF.

LaRae

I am surprised another engagement was announced so soon. They really meant it when they said they were planning to get right to it. I also love how all the events so far has incorporated talking to youth, especially girls. I think that will be a big focus with Meghan going forward.

I didn't even expect another event in Jan...I figured they might do 1 per month leading up to the wedding. Now it will be interesting to see what all they do between now and then.

LaRae

Please elaborate ?

If the previous generation (specifically their parents and the Yorks) could of gotten it right.

LaRae

I'm so glad they are staying true to their word and getting out of the palace, meeting and engaging. They know that Meghan needs to be seen and not hidden away all the time especially with a media that is so eager to typecast her. Knowing how much Meghan likes to prepare and research I bet she is on Mango or Rosetta Stone learning the Welsh language. She is someone who will do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom