The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 01:49 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
According to Wililam she's crazy about horses too...I'm hoping she goes the way of Louise and/or Zara.

LaRae
I agree would love to see her as the next generation horsewoman. Granny is getting too old to be out riding with her like Louise, but maybe a few visits to Great Aunt Anne and cousin Zara at Gatcombe are in order. She could be out riding with Mia and Peter's girls who are all said to be taking to riding.

Cute image in my head of a two year old with a tennis raquet though.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Moderator Emeritus

The Queen was photographed out riding a couple weeks ago, so I wouldn’t say she’s too old to ride with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren yet.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The Queen was photographed out riding a couple weeks ago, so I wouldn’t say she’s too old to ride with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren yet.
I meant by the time Charlotte is old enough to be out on her own pony accompanying the queen like Louise and James do. It likely will be another two years or more. And while the queen is riding now, the way she is slowing down, the chances she will be up for riding with Charlotte in a few years is minimal sadly.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I agree would love to see her as the next generation horsewoman. Granny is getting too old to be out riding with her like Louise, but maybe a few visits to Great Aunt Anne and cousin Zara at Gatcombe are in order. She could be out riding with Mia and Peter's girls who are all said to be taking to riding.

Cute image in my head of a two year old with a tennis raquet though.
She may have already been riding with Mia...the parents all appear to be close, hope to see a pic of that sometime!

LaRae

Seems like I remember reading they both (George and Charlotte) had ponies.

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 02:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Seems like I remember reading they both (George and Charlotte) had ponies.

LaRae
George has road a pony at friends of the Middletons, and when they were in Canada. But I have never seen any mention they own ponies of their own.

Prince George is learning to ride a horse after Kate Middleton said he'd never ride a motorbike | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah I don't remember...just thought I saw it said somewhere. Could of just been bad phrasing in the article too. Both of them are learning to ride.

LaRae
Old 12-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Cute to hear that Charlotte is learning tennis and I like how the Cambridges share these little anecdotes with us on royal visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
This is the cutest thing: Prince George's Christmas list delivered to Santa by his father in Finland! A police car...

https://www.itv.com/news/2017-11-30/...-of-cambridge/
Oh, that's super cute! George has quite good writing for a four-year-old, I have to say. I love how he was given multiple options but "a police car" was the only thing he wrote down. Hope a police car arrives under the Christmas tree at Sandringham on Christmas Day - preferably a toy one, not a real life one

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 12-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Imperial Majesty

As William said himself, since George only asked for one thing, he didn't think it was too much of a request Most kids I know seem to have a list a mile long.

I remember having to rescue my Uncle. His little girl asked for only one thing for Christmas from santa, a Pegasus. Her mom (my Uncle's second wife is Vietnamese) didn't understand the whole Santa thing and she just bought her daughter clothes. Jennifer was so upset that Santa had forgot her Pegasus. I was going for dinner on Boxing day and hit a store open that day and found her one. Hid it out near where they leave hay for the reindeer (actually for the deer in their yard but kids think reindeer) and took her out. To this day she thinks the reindeer played a silly game on her and hid her gift.

I am sure George will have a great little police car under the tree.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Princess Charlotte has been described as a 'natural tennis player' after starting lessons at London's exclusive Hurlingham Club, at the age of two.

Princess Charlotte 'is a natural tennis player' | Daily Mail Online
How could they know she was not "invited by a member" to take lessons? And am I the only one to think this is highly unlikely at her age? The stuff they print and re-report in print journalism seems

I can understand that children love to whack things from an early age. And I can imagine children whacking tennis balls when their parents take a water break. I also imagine them whacking tennis rackets, the net, etc when their parents take a water break.

But lessons seems a bridge too far. But then maybe she is a prodigy. Wimbledon 2035?
Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I imagine tennis lessons geared for 2 1/2 year olds are just basic skills and not very involved.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Cute to hear that Charlotte is learning tennis and I like how the Cambridges share these little anecdotes with us on royal visits.

Oh, that's super cute! George has quite good writing for a four-year-old, I have to say. I love how he was given multiple options but "a police car" was the only thing he wrote down. Hope a police car arrives under the Christmas tree at Sandringham on Christmas Day - preferably a toy one, not a real life one
He also circled "I have been naughty/nice" this year! I bet he will find a police car under the tree...

I wonder if the story on Princess Charlotte taking tennis lessons is true. It seems unlikely: she's way too young to take forma lessons! Maybe someone saw her hitting a few balls at that club and got carried away with the story... I am sure she will play well and also ride horses.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Majesty

Prince William went to George’s school’s nativity play today. He said it was funny. George played a sheep. Even being the future king doesn’t get you the leading role
Old 12-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
How could they know she was not "invited by a member" to take lessons? And am I the only one to think this is highly unlikely at her age? The stuff they print and re-report in print journalism seems

I can understand that children love to whack things from an early age. And I can imagine children whacking tennis balls when their parents take a water break. I also imagine them whacking tennis rackets, the net, etc when their parents take a water break.

But lessons seems a bridge too far. But then maybe she is a prodigy. Wimbledon 2035?
Actually, at least in the U.S., there are lessons for very young children. The racket is scaled down and the court is also scaled down. The children are fed the balls and they stand in a circle (with a cartoon character painted on the ground) and hit as many as they can. The balls are colorful and the racket is colorful and the kids have loads of fun. It's usually a group though. I've never seen a private lesson. Seems to me a group lesson would be more fun for an almost three year old. Private lessons shouldn't start before five, I think.

Anyway, if Charlotte takes to tennis she has her Aunt Pippa, along with her mother, to encourage her. Tennis is a lot of fun, even if you have no idea of being a pro. I loved playing when I was younger.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Courtier

If you go through the biographies of a lot of the top-ranked tennis players, a significant percentage of them started before the age of 5. Andy Murray and Steffi Graff both started at 3, for example.

Since the Cambridge's have a court at Anmer, Charlotte's probably watched her mother play a fair bit and probably started the "whacking balls" bit as soon as they'd let her onto the court.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes that is true that many started at an early age. Former US Open Champion Tracy Austin is a local resident and her mother Jean had her start lessons early. I've read before that apparently Tracy was knocking over their table lamps and other household items because she wouldn't let go of her scaled down racquet. She just loved the game from an early age.

http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history...-in-the-world/
Old 12-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Yes that is true that many started at an early age. Former US Open Champion Tracy Austin is a local resident and her mother Jean had her start lessons early. I've read before that apparently Tracy was knocking over their table lamps and other household items because she wouldn't let go of her scaled down racquet. She just loved the game from an early age.

Tracy Austin’s rise from South Bay tennis courts to No. 1 in the world | South Bay History
And Tracey was a true prodigy. She won the U.S. Open when she was, I think, 15. I remember her in pigtails and cute dresses that her mother made for her. Too bad her career was over by her early 20s because of injuries. She's a really good commentator though.

P.S.: One of her sons is a very good college player and will probably turn pro pretty soon. Oh my! The years . . . they fly.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
And Tracey was a true prodigy. She won the U.S. Open when she was, I think, 15. I remember her in pigtails and cute dresses that her mother made for her. Too bad her career was over by her early 20s because of injuries. She's a really good commentator though.

P.S.: One of her sons is a very good college player and will probably turn pro pretty soon. Oh my! The years . . . they fly.
Wow time has flown when you realize that one of her sons is now in college. It is a shame that injuries from tennis and her car accident in the 1990's ended her career. I agree that her commentating role suits her.
I saw her at the beach a couple of years ago participating in a charity event which happened to have her sister-in-law Denise Austin as one of the hosts.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:15 AM
Nobility

beyond cuteness
Old 01-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

I agree..beyond cute and I LOVE the outfit!

She's still reminding me of the Queen.

LaRae
Old 01-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Majesty

Two lovely photos of Charlotte setting off for her big first day. Just gorgeous!

Closed Thread

Tags
prince george of cambridge, princess charlotte of cambridge