The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I liked school uniforms because it not only made all the students look respectable, but it help relieved the parents and guardians from spending a great deal of money on new school clothes for their kids throughout the year. Stuff like this can be a burden on families who's money is funny.

Put some uniforms on those kids and let the church roll on.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-14-2017, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Uniforms can be very expensive however e.g. at my school the blazers are in excess of $200 and a student at the school for 13 years would need at least 4 of them if not 5. Boys shirts are in excess of $30 each and if not washed properly the school logo changes colour and so can't be worn again. As soon as the school insists on the school logo on the uniform it doubles or triples the cost of the same item without logo and more and more private schools are going that route.

A colleague of mine, who has a child at our school, has already spent over $5000 on uniforms and her child is only just starting Year 3. Another colleague with a child in a state school with no uniform has spent less than $2000 on school clothes in the same period as she can buy generic brands.

Uniforms have their place in schools but I don't agree that every single item needs the school logo or that students must have the school bag, again with the logo. It all adds an unnecessary cost to parents.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think it would make more sense to just issue a type of dress expected to be worn:

Boys must wear black pants and white shirts with a tie (etc etc). Doesn't have to be logos or expensive brands.

LaRae
Old 04-14-2017, 10:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think what I always hated about the thought was uniforms seem so old fashioned. Girls do not need to wear skirts to be presentable. I was a tomboy, and the thought of having to wear a skirt to school every day annoys me. Especially in Canada in winter wear skirts are neither warm nor practical. A sensible dress code with rules about length, about no baggy pants and so on seems just as practical.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:47 AM
Courtier

We all know where George will be come September, what about Charlotte?

It's been said she will start pre-school, obviously in London, so what are the thoughts on that?
Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I find the photos creepy too.
I think unforms are a good thing, I didn't have one but grew up in a time when there was no bullying about being dressed etc. George will just look like everyone else what is good, especially from him.
I hope that the Cambridges will pose with George for a photocall and after that all the fuzz will hopefully calm down.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Anna View Post
We all know where George will be come September, what about Charlotte?

It's been said she will start pre-school, obviously in London, so what are the thoughts on that?
Considering they chose a coeducational school, it is pretty clear they will send both kids to the same school. It would be bizarre for them to send George to a coed school and then choose a different one for Charlotte.

But in September charlotte will be home with her nanny. Though you can start before 3, you have to be at least two and a half at most schools including this one. She won't be until November. The next entrance for the school is January when she will likely join her big brother.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I find the photos creepy too.
I think unforms are a good thing, I didn't have one but grew up in a time when there was no bullying about being dressed etc. George will just look like everyone else what is good, especially from him.
I hope that the Cambridges will pose with George for a photocall and after that all the fuzz will hopefully calm down.
My children attended a normal public school in California; most of the elementary and middle schools (junior high elsewhere) in our district have a uniform policy. Most of our general merchandise stores (Target, Sears, WalMart etc.) carry the uniform components such as shorts, polo shirts, etc. which are usually in generic colors such as navy, khaki, and black for "bottoms" and in whatever solid color shirts the school decides. It was so nice to tell my kids that they could choose from their drawer of tops and bottoms for school. Some schools also have a plaid for girls' skirts or jumpers (pinafores elsewhere?) that can be a little pricey but they are optional.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I liked school uniforms because it not only made all the students look respectable, but it help relieved the parents and guardians from spending a great deal of money on new school clothes for their kids throughout the year. Stuff like this can be a burden on families who's money is funny.

Put some uniforms on those kids and let the church roll on.
I wore them through elementary and high school because I attended Catholic schools. Our uniforms were so durable that often times they could be resold at the "gently used" clothing sale if they were not passed down to a sibling or neighbor. Now even the private schools offer a choice of pants, shorts, skirts, skorts to wear with polo shirts. Long Beach Unified School District in Long Beach, CA is one of the largest public school districts that has required uniforms at its elementary and middle schools. At least two of the high schools have also opted to use them as well.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

I wore a uniform too. In the 4th grade and I liked it. I just always thought it made the students and school look more respectable and my parents didn't have to spend a great deal of money on lots of school clothes.

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-15-2017, 11:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think it would make more sense to just issue a type of dress expected to be worn:

Boys must wear black pants and white shirts with a tie (etc etc). Doesn't have to be logos or expensive brands.

LaRae
That is what we used to have for the boys with a specific dress for the girls but now, like most private schools - including George's - they have to have the logo and that adds massively to the expense.

I once asked why they had gone that route and the answer was 'to make the students stand out amongst the other schools around here'. I thought the tie and logo on the blazer was enough for that but no the logo has to be on every visible part of the uniform now. One student even asked me when they were going to insist on underwear with the logo on it???
Old 05-01-2017, 05:19 AM
Majesty

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal
The Duke and Duchess are delighted to share a new photograph of Princess Charlotte to mark her second birthday tomorrow 🎈

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...69414322049024
Old 05-01-2017, 05:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Charlotte is quite the cutie isn't she? She's growing up so fast almost right before our eyes. Its hard to say who she looks like as I can see both William and Kate in her but she's uniquely herself.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

What a beautiful little girl! She has really grown up since the last pictures we saw of her!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Even though I always get knocked down I still think Charlotte is the image of the Queen
Old 05-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Administrator

I agree - I also see Princess Margaret in her.

It's great to see this new photo, she's growing up fast!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:18 AM
Nobility

Charlotte looks so cute. Her picture reminds me a lot of Lady Sarah Chatto.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Extremely beautiful little girl with exceptional eyes !
Old 05-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post

Kensington Palace‏ @KensingtonRoyal
The Duke and Duchess are delighted to share a new photograph of Princess Charlotte to mark her second birthday tomorrow 🎈

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...69414322049024
Yeah, the Windsor genes sure are strong in this one!

And from Daily Mail: Kate photographs Princess Charlotte for her birthday | Daily Mail Online

Despite the obvious resemblance to QEII I bet there is a Kate-mini-me somewhere in the text, but I haven't bothered read through the article.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
The Daily Mail doesn't disappoint as they beautifully showcased pictures of the Cambridge family. One thing that strikes me is that Kate is quite the professional when taking pictures of her children. Who better to bring out the best in a child in front of a camera than their own mother?

Although I only can barely see a resemblance to HM, The Queen, I most definitely can see that both HM and Charlotte smile with their whole face.

Tags
prince george of cambridge, princess charlotte of cambridge