Prince George and Princess Charlotte, General News 2: May 2015 - May 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not what we are talking about, I don't think. :ermm: It's the regimen of toddlers, not the big picture. Though if you read about how William and Harry were raised you might be surprised as to just how privileged it all really was.

I'd suggest reading some memoirs where the regimen of William and Harry as children is spoken about. Not sure what you mean by 'modern manner'. The boys were clearly loved by both parents but raised in posh circumstances, which entailed castles and palaces, nannies and butlers, housekeepers and manservants, etc. After a time, the boys went to boarding school where they 'did for themselves' in the time honored way of the English upper classes.

That's what I know from my reading. :bb:

I have two children and of course toddlers have regimens and must be supervised but this wasn't what I was referring to. I was addressing the comments that stated because Anmer is so 'grand' and 'museum like' that George is limited to certain areas. I merely suggested that after almost 2 million dollars in renovations these areas would be very few. Maybe office space and the master bedroom. I'm sure Cambridges made sure both KP and Anmer Hall are as family/kid friendly as possible.

As for how W and H were raised, I stand by my comment (and William and Harry's own words)

Of course William had nannies and lived in castles but I don't see how that means he wasn't taught to make his own decisions in life and be independent. He is certainly more assertive than his father is/was

Compare the Queen's upbringing, to Charles's upbringing to William's upbringing and we can see exactly how George will be raised.

Whether you agree the boys were raised in a modern manner they are now thoroughly modern royals who have minimal staff and don't really stand on ceremony. Both W and H hold regular jobs. As William said to Max Foster of CNN, when they need help they get help but what they can do on their own they do it. I didn't say they were raised middle-class, that was someone else's term.

But to bring this thread back to George and Charlotte, I know if I spent millions and millions of dollars remodelling and redecorating my homes I'd make sure they were as family friendly as possible. But as we don't anything about either Anmer Hall or KP its all opinion.

Last edited:
I have two children and of course toddlers have regimens and must be supervised but this wasn't what I was referring to. I was addressing the comments that stated because Anmer is so 'grand' and 'museum like' that George is limited to certain areas. I merely suggested that after almost 2 million dollars in renovations these areas would be very few. Maybe office space and the master bedroom. I'm sure Cambridges made sure both KP and Anmer Hall are as family/kid friendly as possible.

As for how W and H were raised, I stand by my comment (and William and Harry's own words)

Of course William had nannies and lived in castles but I don't see how that means he wasn't taught to make his own decisions in life and be independent. He is certainly more assertive than his father is/was

Compare the Queen's upbringing, to Charles's upbringing to William's upbringing and we can see exactly how George will be raised.

Whether you agree the boys were raised in a modern manner they are now thoroughly modern royals who have minimal staff and don't really stand on ceremony. Both W and H hold regular jobs. As William said to Max Foster of CNN, when they need help they get help but what they can do on their own they do it. I didn't say they were raised middle-class, that was someone else's term.

But to bring this thread back to George and Charlotte, I know if I spent millions and millions of dollars remodelling and redecorating my homes I'd make sure they were as family friendly as possible. But as we don't anything about either Anmer Hall or KP its all opinion.

I am sure there are a good many parts of Anmer Hall that aren't necessarily child friendly - it's a big house, and the Cambridges work out of it as well. I would speculate that the house is divided into a "living" area and a "working" area, with George (and Lupo) being given relatively free reign of the living area, but restricted from going into the working area or more formal areas without supervision. All they would really need to do this is keep certain doors closed and utilize baby gates.

Yes they have been very consistent about releasing photos

June 2013 birth and front steps of hospital
October 2013 christening and official photos
March 2014 pre Australian tour photo (in the window of KP)
April 2014 NZ/Aus tour.
July 2014 1st birthday butterfly exhibit
December 2014 Christmas photo on the steps of KP
June 2015 photos with Charlotte

The reality is the press always wants more as those images sell.

It's not just the press that makes this complaint though.

The public complains that there aren't enough pictures of George being released and that he's being hidden or sheltered from them. We on this forum are happy now because we just got some new pictures, but if you look at the discussions on the forum a few months ago there was lots of complaints that we didn't see George enough and that we wouldn't see the new baby enough either. Heck, even before it was clear that we would get these new pictures people were doubting that pictures of Charlotte would be released because the Cambridges are private and hide George away.

I think the Cambridges have handled their official photo releases well so far - they've given the public a lot of access to George if you think about it; the pictures when he was born, the first family portrait, the christening, the pre-Australia family portrait, the Australia tour, the first birthday, last Christmas, Charlotte's birth, and now the first siblings portrait.

I expect that a pattern will continue in years to come - birthday and Christmas photos released, as well as the odd other formal photos for occasions that pop up (tours, special anniversaries, etc), and then the occasional press/paparazzi pics when the kids attend a public event with their parents - like when Kate an George watched William playing polo last year. In time we'll also see the kids at the big family events - the Trooping, going to church for Christmas, etc - but I doubt that either will happen as quickly as people seem to want. Personally, I think it would be nice if we saw William and/or Kate do more engagements like the play date that they did in Australia just because it seemed like a good way to integrate George into a working royal life. Sure it's not necessary at his age, but it seems like a good way to get him (an Charlotte) used to the public and press (I'm thinking of how the Continental Royals integrate their children into engagements more).

That said, William and Kate could release a photo of their children a day and it wouldn't stop the papparazzi shots of the kids at the park playing. These pictures are taken because we as a public feel entitled to them - it's not all that different from how William, Catherine, and Harry do regular engagements where they're photographed yet we still want to look at the pictures of Kate shopping or Harry at a concert. The only difference is that William, Kate, and Harry are adults, and George and Charlotte are kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well William and Harry were paraded around like circus animals as children and it doesn't seem to have helped their relationship with the British press as adults

British royals and the continent are nothing alike. Different traditions and outlooks. This includes how they deal with press intrusion.

In my opinion the best preparation for a life of public service is to have a 'normal' childhood and not be in the public eye.

Its not up to the press to decide how often we see the children. Its up to the parents. Heck I haven't bought a newspaper in years. Newspapers don't speak for me

I don't agree totally. These are children who are going to live in the public eye till the day they die...wrapping them in cotton wool and cloistered them during the period, which lasts till about 5, when they learn the most about social skills and the world around them and when their personality is developed is questionable in my opinion. And not fair at all.

A steady gradual introduction to public life is the common sense alternative to either being thrown to wolves totally at 3 or pretending 'normality' and waiting for years and making a kid with no clue and no experience deal with paps.

See its always the extreme. Just because we don't see photos everyday doesn't mean they're 'cloistered'. George has been papped out and about on several occasions and we get reports of him going to petting zoos and playgrounds. He's seen in the royal parks with his nanny and Kate. Just being normal.

I guess I just don't understand the need for children to be exposed to glare of the media from day one as a way of 'conditioning' them. To me its like being a child actor, they almost always grow up to be neurotic and paranoid because of not having normalcy as children.

Right now we get regular photo updates. For me its good enough. Let the child be a child for a while.

Last edited:
Royalty are the best actors in the world. They have to act gracious 24/7. Learn your craft young and it becomes second nature.

I might add the queens children were let to have a life out of the media as children but for released material occasionally and that did not help them out particularly become happier, successful, well adjusted people.

If the children are posed in front of the media almost daily now, then they lose their claim for privacy later. Also, there is the security issue. His parents take George out and about with no forewarning to the media in part because of security.

I do not agree that both children should be paraded before the media for monthly photo ops to prepare them for a public life. If William and Katherine decide on a less public monarchy, the media and people will grumble, but that won't be the basis for the PM to move to abolish the monarchy.

George will have a public life, but Charlotte (and any later children) may very easily decide to marry and retire to Australia or South Africa. I would not be surprised if Harry spends more and more of his time in South Africa, to the point where he is all but living there. There is nothing in the constitution that demands the children and/or siblings of the monarchy are required to lead public lives. The idea of public duty by the royal family grew out of the abdication followed by WWII and the idea of duty by George VI and the Queen. So the Queen's generation of the RF spent their lives representing the Queen in the remote corners of the commonwealth. But now politicians and others complain about the costs of the monarchy. Charles is moving to stream line the RF due to costs. Then there is William and Harry's attitude toward the press. It is not just the media chasing their mother, it is also the topless photos of Katherine and the hacking of their telephones. They also see the Queen doing her job with no interviews and limited photo ops.

"We must not let daylight in upon magic," warned Walter Bagehot, the 19th century journalist and constitutional expert.

I think the Cambridges are striking the right balance with photos. Always keeping them wanting more.

"We must not let daylight in upon magic," warned Walter Bagehot, the 19th century journalist and constitutional expert.

I think the Cambridges are striking the right balance with photos. Always keeping them wanting more.

I think they are too. They're adamant about the level of privacy during their private time but always outgoing and friendly when out in public. One thing about the way Will and Harry were raised is that no matter what the social strata is of the people they meet, whether it be a street at night for Centrepoint or an village in Lesotho or a children's hospice or a gala red carpet premiere, they are genuinely interested and involved with where they are and make everyone else feel comfortable.

If Will and Kate can pass that ability off to their children, they will have raised fine adults when the time comes.

As far as the photos, I think their strategy of releasing photos every so often that they, themselves, have taken is a stroke of genius. Not only do they control what is out there but they also add the element of the personal touch.

Does the court publish photos of George during the year so that he can be left alone?
I do not like to compare royal houses but I think it is one way the Scandinavian countries have made a deal with the press.
Photos for birthdays,
In Sweden even Christmas and national day and sometimes spring or fall photos

It's been said before, but bears repeating...it's NOT the same!
The other Royal Houses may be able to deal in such a way, but it won't work for the British.

The media just wants more and more, and it's never enough.

Yep exactly Mirabel...you can't compare the other royal families to the BRF...it's a whole different level of interest and intensity.

In the U.S. the average person couldn't give a fig about royals and probably have little to no idea that there are quite a few royal families out there. If they know about any it's probably the Windors. Therefore there is no demand or interest in photos of these other royals.

LaRae

There's no real demand or interest in the BRF either, at least among most average people here in the US. Not one of my friends or family could care less about them and couldn't pick Prince George out of a lineup.

I am considered the oddball, and quite honestly the Windsors are my least favorite of all the RF's.

The interest in the adventures of William, Kate, and Harry in the tabloids isn't so much the "magic" Walter Bagehot spoke of almost a century ago as it is our Reality TV culture.

They have nicer weddings and dress better than the Kardashians.:cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, the "the Scandinavian royals handle it differently" is always an argument that falls flat with me. Each country's media acts differently, and not all royal families can make such deals with their country's press (or they can, but its effectiveness may be limited). Add to that the fact that the British Royal Family gets intense interest from the media in many different countries, including countries in which the media might operate under quite different laws, never mind the fact that the BRF can't be expected to make deals with the media in dozens of different countries.

There's no real demand or interest in the BRF either, among most average people here in the US. Not one of my friends or family could care less about them and couldn't pick Prince George out of a lineup.

I am considered the oddball, and quite honestly the Windsors are my least favorite of all the RF's.

The interest in the adventures of William, Kate, and Harry in the tabloids isn't so much the "magic" Walter Bagehot spoke of almost a century ago as it is our Reality TV culture.

They have nicer weddings and dress better than the Kardashians.:cool:

I think there is quite a lot of US interest in the BRF - which I encounter not just among people I know (and I actually know at least a couple of people who are way more intense royal watchers than I am), but is certainly reflected in media coverage. Just from having the new pictures of George and Charlotte released over the weekend, not only did my Twitter feed blow up with tons of media outlets posting the pictures, but I've seen segments about the pictures on CNN, NBC Nightly a News, and the Today show, and that's just the stuff I happened to stumble across. Not to mention that William, Kate, George, and Charlotte (in some combination) are all frequently on the cover of People magazine. They must sell magazines, or else they wouldn't be putting them on covers so often.

:previous:You are right I guess.

My point was that I don't personally know any of these frenzied BRF fans, and when I stand in supermarket checkout lines in the West Hollywood/Beverly Hills area where I live I don't see the WillKat magazine covers flying off the shelves.

Last edited:
:previous:You are right I guess.

My point was that I don't personally know any of these frenzied BRF fans, and when I stand in supermarket checkout lines in the West Hollywood/Beverly Hills area where I live I don't see WillKat magazine covers flying off the shelves.

I think most U.S. interest in the BRF isn't frenzied, it's just a general interest/curiosity. Most of my friends don't follow the royals closely at all, but I think most know the basics of William, Kate, George, Charlotte, and Harry. Mostly, though, I tend to gauge interest by the fact that I don't have to seek out coverage of the royals at all (well, not the royals I mentioned, anyway). Just in my daily habits of watching the news, reading a magazine, or checking news on the web, I come across quite a lot about the Cambridges and Harry.

See its always the extreme. Just because we don't see photos everyday doesn't mean they're 'cloistered'. George has been papped out and about on several occasions and we get reports of him going to petting zoos and playgrounds. He's seen in the royal parks with his nanny and Kate. Just being normal.

I guess I just don't understand the need for children to be exposed to glare of the media from day one as a way of 'conditioning' them. To me its like being a child actor, they almost always grow up to be neurotic and paranoid because of not having normalcy as children.

Right now we get regular photo updates. For me its good enough. Let the child be a child for a while.

The way you say that makes me think that you would prefer George to be "papped out". I hugely disagree with the act of paparazzi following minors or newspapers printing said photos without the permission of their parents. I think celebs in Britain should be pushing to protect their children's rights in a similar way to how celebs in California were pushing to protect their children last year.

I think George should be able to go to the park or the zoo without having his picture end up in the papers. I also think that George (and later Charlotte) should be exposed to the press - press, not paparazzi - in a controlled way. Consider the playgroup that he went to in New Zealand. It was very controlled who was there, it was very controlled who got to photograph it. Doing other similar engagements on occasion isn't parading him out like a circus animal, it's helping him learn how to interact with the public and the press - two things that will actually be huge aspects of his entire life.

I actually think in terms of photo releases the Cambridges have done a great job, however much people complain about things. They've regularly released photos of George, and I expect that they'll continue to do so in the future with him and Charlotte. I like how they've both done professional photos and ones that are more personal (even if I still don't think that the photos taken by Michael Middleton were the best). I also think that the Cambridges are learning a lot as they go along in terms of how they're presenting their family - look at how completely different these photos are from the ones they released after George's birth. But I do think George will benefit in the long run by learning earlier to be more at ease in the presence of the press - not the paparazzi, the press.

The possible degree of invasion of privacy and public scrutiny that George and Charlotte face in their future is extremely more than that that the Continental royals (and it's not just the Scandinavians) face, but that doesn't mean that the other royals with young children aren't onto something. They have their children engage with the press and public in controlled ways, which in turn gives them the ability to learn how to deal in those situations. William and Kate don't necessarily need to parade their children out at every opportunity, nor do I think they should do this (with time and on occasion) so that we can have more pictures of them, but I think doing more engagements like the play group in the future could be beneficial to George, and in time Charlotte.

I think there is quite a lot of US interest in the BRF - which I encounter not just among people I know (and I actually know at least a couple of people who are way more intense royal watchers than I am), but is certainly reflected in media coverage. Just from having the new pictures of George and Charlotte released over the weekend, not only did my Twitter feed blow up with tons of media outlets posting the pictures, but I've seen segments about the pictures on CNN, NBC Nightly a News, and the Today show, and that's just the stuff I happened to stumble across.

Very true; those pictures (George with Charlotte) were in the New York papers too.
If no one was interested, why would they publish them?

Press AssociationVerified account ‏@PA
Princess Charlotte is already sleeping through the night, the Prince of Wales has revealed: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/charlotte-sleeps-night-165657892.html#zqtTxgG

Princess Charlotte may only be a few months old but she is already sleeping through the night, the Prince of Wales has revealed.

Charles chatted about his baby granddaughter, who was born on May 2, when he hosted a Clarence House tea party with the Duchess of Cornwall for pilots and aircrew who fought in the Second World War.

I think some people have the wrong idea or impression when it comes to seeing pictures or videos of George and later Charlotte. Nobody in their right minds want the kids hounded or privacy invaded.

I just hope we get a chance to see the Cambridge's as a family in a more candid manner. The same as we did William and Harry and the other members of the royal family. Posed pictures are great and very much appreciated by all who adore and follow the Cambridge's. But it's those beautiful and natural pictures that everyone will look back on and cherish as the kids get older and the family positions change. The candid moments we got of the Cambridge's in Australia and New Zealand were the best. Also, the lovely pictures we got of William, Catherine and George at the polo match last year were the best as well. Those pictures are the memories we and everyone will be talking about as the Cambridge family grow in the months and years to come. I just hope we get to see the Cambridge's as a family outside of the palace released pictures.

Or Charles was doing a frog/ Jack in the box impression?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I love the picture of Charles playing with George. I think he's enjoying his grandchildren.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Where was the picture taken and by whom?

It looks like a photo taken through a second or third floor window. Maybe from a CH staff member supplementing their wages?

Charles has casual clothes so he probably had a meeting and did not have time to change.

The photo also appears to be about a year old based on the size of George.

Where was the picture taken and by whom?

It looks like a photo taken through a second or third floor window. Maybe from a CH staff member supplementing their wages?

Charles has casual clothes so he probably had a meeting and did not have time to change.

The photo also appears to be about a year old based on the size of George.

It looks like it was taken at the same time the photo of Charles holding George (wearing a white sunhat) was taken - both outside, same weather/sunshine, same outfit on George. I'd guess around this time last year is likely.

It could be KP. The Royal Helicopter uses a section of KP grounds for a landing pad so Charles could have been coming back from somewhere and dropped by to see George since he was at KP. George looks older than he was on the tour so it has to be post March 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom